Summer Wars (Sama Wozu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer Wars (Sama Wozu) Reviews

August 18, 2017
Incredibly cheesy with a ridiculously silly plot involving online avatars, 'Summer Wars' is one animated film that I don't see appealing to many adults. That being said, there is an underlying theme of family sticking together, no matter what, and presenting a united front to defeat the odds - that's certainly something that I can get behind.
August 18, 2017
While Summer Wars doesn't have an entirely original story, it makes up for it with beautiful animation, likable characters, and great action sequences.
June 27, 2017
Great art, great characters (many of them!), a great romance building between the two main characters, and a great game played throughout the movie! The artwork is visually stunning and the family morals, bondings, and get-togethers are home-hitting. A wonderful movie.
½ June 7, 2017
This movie is like War Games and The Family Stone had a baby!
½ April 23, 2017
9/10

Well, the story does go through the days of summer so the title shouldn't confuse anyone much.

Summer Wars is an animated film directed and written by Mamoru Hosoda (known for Girl Who Leapt through Time, Wolf Children). The story takes place in a busy cyber world Japan that nearly everything is used by this simulator known as Oz. Kenji is the main protagonist who works as an admin for Oz and somehow, Natsuki, a fellow student came to ask him to disguise as her fiance to impress her grandmother on her birthday. The conflict starts later when an A.I. known as the Love Machine decides to take hostage of the virtual system, immobilizing every network use connected to Oz.

The animation is superb when watching everything fly within that virtual world of Oz. Yep, you can still get the same style character drawing from Hosoda's other anime and just put them in this movie. The fight scenes may look a bit cheap but it's as if Hosoda wanted Oz to do everything in the online world of today. Colors and tones work very well with this film.

Characters show good emotions. I tend to believe the best character when I see one and I believe it is Natsuki's 90 year old grandma. She has shown quite the strength of her age and she's made a lot of connection with friends and families in her leadership. Kenji and Natsuki, do they develop better in their pretense of the relationship? You'll maybe see little spark. Of course, Natsuki has a huge family and you can see how Kenji will make that approval acceptable from the events later in the story.

The soundtrack won't stick much to some audiences, but it won't make the film look poor.

Hosoda threw in some cliche anime schemes in the mix of some Eagle Eye, Black Hat, Transcendence ideas to blend in better with the story.

Summer Wars is a good Hosoda film like his others. It would be a good pick up or rental if you enjoy online gaming stories or just a good anime film in general.
½ April 12, 2017
A little too long and strange for me. The characters were interesting enough, but the story wasn't at all what I was expecting or hoping for. It moved too slow, but the ending was pretty good I guess.
½ March 12, 2017
games are for people how don't care enough sports are for people who play to win
February 25, 2017
As visually stunning as it's comedic, Mamoru Hosoda's masterwork Summer Wars boasts themes of how we use the internet to online terrorism into a comedy/science-fiction/romance/thriller all into one nice package of awesomeness.
½ December 3, 2016
Summer Wars is a weaker Hosoda offering, but follows the family theme his recent movies have embraced. While Wolf Children was about motherhood, Boy and the Beast about fatherhood, this is about the ups and downs of extended family, and the importance of the wide range of perspectives (and drama) that such relationships entail.
Also there's like...a weird MMO, which I guess the crux of the movie's plot? But the big extended family is the best part here.
½ October 8, 2016
Unique, surreal. Something completely different from anything you'll ever see.
October 4, 2016
So Good. I cannot emphasize enough how good this is.
September 1, 2016
Uneven animated feature can't decide whether it wants to be a family drama or a fantasy adventure.
July 4, 2016
The director of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", Mamoru Hosoda, told a different story with his masterful creativity and sense of storytelling that forms the charming soul as the same qualities to enjoy again, but at a slight increase. This film consists a cautious, thought-provoking topic under the heartening value of unity through family love while accompanied by an effective score. (A-)

(Full review TBD)
June 12, 2016
Mamoru Hosada's second attempt at the first act of the Digimon movie. It's literally the same plot line with better writing and animation.
May 13, 2016
Very good film. Comedy, love, action, passion trough out. Love it it's a must see!!

Grade

I give this an 97/A+
½ January 14, 2016
Great movie. Glad I got to watch it on Toonami
½ September 5, 2015
Completely bizarre with a plot that barely holds together but also incredibly entertaining and visually superb. Lots and lots of fun but didn't quite follow throughout - just had to go along for the ride! The central relationship was also not the best but there were some great character moments (amongst some odd ones!) Definitely not what I was expecting!
½ July 24, 2015
Fun, sad and heart warming. These are the words that I describe this Anime movie gem. Great story, great characters, beautiful animation and just a fun film to watch with the family. This is one of Mamoru Hosoda best works.