Summer Wars (Sama Wozu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer Wars (Sama Wozu) Reviews

½ April 23, 2017
9/10

Well, the story does go through the days of summer so the title shouldn't confuse anyone much.

Summer Wars is an animated film directed and written by Mamoru Hosoda (known for Girl Who Leapt through Time, Wolf Children). The story takes place in a busy cyber world Japan that nearly everything is used by this simulator known as Oz. Kenji is the main protagonist who works as an admin for Oz and somehow, Natsuki, a fellow student came to ask him to disguise as her fiance to impress her grandmother on her birthday. The conflict starts later when an A.I. known as the Love Machine decides to take hostage of the virtual system, immobilizing every network use connected to Oz.

The animation is superb when watching everything fly within that virtual world of Oz. Yep, you can still get the same style character drawing from Hosoda's other anime and just put them in this movie. The fight scenes may look a bit cheap but it's as if Hosoda wanted Oz to do everything in the online world of today. Colors and tones work very well with this film.

Characters show good emotions. I tend to believe the best character when I see one and I believe it is Natsuki's 90 year old grandma. She has shown quite the strength of her age and she's made a lot of connection with friends and families in her leadership. Kenji and Natsuki, do they develop better in their pretense of the relationship? You'll maybe see little spark. Of course, Natsuki has a huge family and you can see how Kenji will make that approval acceptable from the events later in the story.

The soundtrack won't stick much to some audiences, but it won't make the film look poor.

Hosoda threw in some cliche anime schemes in the mix of some Eagle Eye, Black Hat, Transcendence ideas to blend in better with the story.

Summer Wars is a good Hosoda film like his others. It would be a good pick up or rental if you enjoy online gaming stories or just a good anime film in general.
½ April 12, 2017
A little too long and strange for me. The characters were interesting enough, but the story wasn't at all what I was expecting or hoping for. It moved too slow, but the ending was pretty good I guess.
½ March 12, 2017
games are for people how don't care enough sports are for people who play to win
February 25, 2017
As visually stunning as it's comedic, Mamoru Hosoda's masterwork Summer Wars boasts themes of how we use the internet to online terrorism into a comedy/science-fiction/romance/thriller all into one nice package of awesomeness.
½ December 3, 2016
Summer Wars is a weaker Hosoda offering, but follows the family theme his recent movies have embraced. While Wolf Children was about motherhood, Boy and the Beast about fatherhood, this is about the ups and downs of extended family, and the importance of the wide range of perspectives (and drama) that such relationships entail.
Also there's like...a weird MMO, which I guess the crux of the movie's plot? But the big extended family is the best part here.
½ October 8, 2016
Unique, surreal. Something completely different from anything you'll ever see.
October 4, 2016
So Good. I cannot emphasize enough how good this is.
September 1, 2016
Uneven animated feature can't decide whether it wants to be a family drama or a fantasy adventure.
July 4, 2016
The director of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", Mamoru Hosoda, told a different story with his masterful creativity and sense of storytelling that forms the charming soul as the same qualities to enjoy again, but at a slight increase. This film consists a cautious, thought-provoking topic under the heartening value of unity through family love while accompanied by an effective score. (A-)

(Full review TBD)
June 12, 2016
Mamoru Hosada's second attempt at the first act of the Digimon movie. It's literally the same plot line with better writing and animation.
May 13, 2016
Very good film. Comedy, love, action, passion trough out. Love it it's a must see!!

Grade

I give this an 97/A+
½ January 14, 2016
Great movie. Glad I got to watch it on Toonami
½ September 5, 2015
Completely bizarre with a plot that barely holds together but also incredibly entertaining and visually superb. Lots and lots of fun but didn't quite follow throughout - just had to go along for the ride! The central relationship was also not the best but there were some great character moments (amongst some odd ones!) Definitely not what I was expecting!
½ July 24, 2015
Fun, sad and heart warming. These are the words that I describe this Anime movie gem. Great story, great characters, beautiful animation and just a fun film to watch with the family. This is one of Mamoru Hosoda best works.
July 19, 2015
I saw this the first time on Toonami last weekend. I had no expectations going into the film since I wasn't familiar to what the story will be, and so forth. Overall the film blew me away. I know some people question the story, especially a structure like Oz and some people question who is the main character. Ironically the cover art shows 3 characters in center stage, and in a sense you have 3 main characters instead of thinking Kenji is the main guy.

That said, I felt like the pacing was good. The characters were enjoyable, the animation was beautiful, and you can easily get into what the is happening the story. I highly recommend you check this out, and this movie is an example how Anime is an underrated genre. This is a movie that should be considered for Best Animation award at the US Academy awards. Instead they usually overlook anime, and just focus on Disney and DreamWorks.
June 23, 2015
Summer Wars was a Top 5 movie for me. I'm not just talking about animated movies either. I'm talking one of the movies I will remember for a long time kind of thing. The kind of movie with such a great story that you don't remember or care if it's animated or live action. The kind of movie where kids and adults can enjoy. This movie not only looks gorgeous but the story is excellent. It has a lot more than great CGI effects. The pacing of the story is superb. It has unforgettable characters and moments. You'll laugh, cry, and cheer with these characters throughout he movie.
May 31, 2015
Mamoru Hosoda's second and - in my opinion - weakest film. As you can see, I've still given it four stars so it's really darn good. As usual, the characters are wonderful. They are so fleshed out and so well written, not to mention there's like a bagillion of them in this movie. The premise is neat, but a bit hard to get a handle on. This and the fact that certain elements of the plot are a bit too convenient are what bring this down from his other two (superior) films. That said, this is still an incredible move.
½ May 14, 2015
A wonderful movie that gradually captures more of your attention with sharp turns of surprise and un-expectancy. Especially toward the end where it teaches to never give up and use your head. It's a thrill of a lifetime that also gradually keeps you on the edge of your seat. This site and it is rating doesn't do you justice. In an honest opinion, it's worth is easily up there with the other wonderful films produced by Studio Ghibli.