Summer Stock Reviews

• May 11, 2020

Despite featuring one of Kelly's more extraordinary dance routines, where he (characteristically if quirkily) takes as his partner the stage itself, as well as one of Garland's most iconic showstoppers (as rousingly performed as it is jarringly inserted into the film), the well-known production troubles make for a rather unshapely, unstable, and underwhelming musical.

• Nov 09, 2019

Kelly himself described this film as "a piece of crap." It isn't difficult to see why. The plot is something that in 1950 was already archaic and more suited to the Andy Hardy movies from the previous decade. Kelly and the production team rallied around the ailing Garland, which is touching, but that MGM's brightest star should close her MGM career with this utter bilge is heartbreaking. Kelly's solo and Garland's 'Get Happy' - which was tacked on three months after production ended, hence yet another clearly visible and deeply troubling Garland weight fluctuation - are the only moments worth your time.

• Sep 16, 2019

ridiculous plot, poor staging, no chemistry between actors. Extremely boring - try staying awake. This rates highly only because of the sympathy felt for Judy Garland, who was having drug and marriage problems during this time. This movie, however, is a low point.

• May 08, 2019

The best musical movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Get Happy!

• Sep 27, 2016

Any movie with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly is sure to be a success! This one shows the struggle of running a show, which I can relate to, and it has some great catchy songs!

• Apr 09, 2016

Judy Garland's final MGM musical is light on plot but strong on personality; Kelly dances with a newspaper and does a hillbilly duet with Phil Silvers, but the best spots are saved for Judy, who sings a lovely ballad ("Friendly Star") and dazzles with her MGM swan song, "Get Happy."

• Aug 14, 2014

This is a film about a woman who is struggling to run her family's farm on her own, when out of nowhere her little sister shows up with the entire cast of a stage play who have plans to use the barn for rehearsals and test performances. Naturally this collision of 2 different worlds leads to a lot of arguing, and also a lot of romance. I love musicals like this even though the plots are somewhat predictable, and this one has enough twists and turns that it doesn't follow all the conventions of the genre. It might not shock you, but it is good at keeping you involved because you aren't 100% sure how it will end. With star talent like Judy Garland and Gene Kelly you just know you're in for top notch song and dance numbers. Judy Garland has that big impressive voice that is so amazing, and then Gene Kelly starts dancing and I sit there in awe. The most notable numbers are Judy Garland performing "Get Happy" for the first time, and a dance number by Gene Kelly with a newspaper and a squeaky floorboard that you won't soon forget. Two of the greats at the top of their game. The story takes awhile to get going. There is some attempts at humor early in the film, but they seem to fall flat. Even Phil Silvers hamming it up fails to elicit a laugh from me. But once the movie hits its stride and gets me emotionally invested suddenly everything starts picking up. Somewhere around the midway point it went from humorless to being laugh-out-loud funny. So you have to have patience with this film, but it will reward you in the end. The other issue I found with the movie is the fact that the film suddenly sped up and slowed down at strange moments. I'm not sure what the technical term for this situation is, but something odd went on in the editing room (or perhaps the restoration room) so that a scene is taking place at normal speed, and then a pig runs by at double speed. It was extremely awkward, but not enough to be a detriment to my enjoyment of Summer Stock. I think most people know already if this is the type of film they will like. If you've enjoyed other Gene Kelly films, this is one I would recommend, but if all that singing and dancing isn't for you then let give this one a pass.

• Aug 02, 2014

Great movie. Gene Kelly films are hillarious

Great movie. Gene Kelly films are hillarious

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jul 19, 2014

A silly, predictable trifle, but for Garland and Kelly it's worth a viewing.

A silly, predictable trifle, but for Garland and Kelly it's worth a viewing.

• Jul 02, 2014

Not really a fan of Judy Garland but the story was cute although predictable.

Not really a fan of Judy Garland but the story was cute although predictable.