Sunshine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunshine Reviews

½ June 15, 2018
I loved this movie. The negative comments remind me of when 2001 A Space Odyssey first came out in the 60's. It was Blasphemy to Christianity, no plot or character development Today 2001 is considered a classic and one of the best SF films ever. If you don't like Sunshine then you don't like science fiction.
June 8, 2018
Most underrated sci-fi ever. You need patience and need to appreciate the emotions without being bored..
May 31, 2018
Someone said cheesy sci-fi movie with an expected plot twist? COUNT ME IN
May 29, 2018
Truly an almost total DISASTER . . . of a . . . movie. Writing, cast, direction, editing .straight from Hell. How ANYONE could recommend this movie is farther than the Sun beyond me. Ugh.
May 12, 2018
With great visuals and very tense situations sunshine makes the best sci fi movie of the 2000's. Gorgeous.
May 3, 2018
Visually stunning, psychologically terrifying, and intellectually challenging
½ April 26, 2018
An engrossing Sci-Fi movie that takes you into the cold darkness of space and into the blinding light of a dying Sun.
April 1, 2018
Some takes were a little exagerated, but the acting, the visuals and the psychological wars were on point.
March 25, 2018
So close, but yet so far. All the right elements were there. The science is shaky at best, but the mission is there, with 8 great actors portraying the crew. So we can suspend disbelief. I would have like to seen a little more character deveopment and less dramatic shouting, but the acting was solid. Things start to break down when we get to the Icarus 1 part. Oh, why does Hollywood always have to introduce a Pinbacker character (aka Jesus freak who wants to commune with God and destroy the mission)? The challenge is enough in itself. A little less grappling with a physical (and physically impossible?) maniac and more realistic dialogue, combined with the excellent visuals, would have made a much better movie. Also maybe a little more explanation... gets hard to follow at points because the sets are so dark, it's not clear what we are seeing. Still better than a lot of sci-fi dreck that gets offered up these days.
½ March 25, 2018
Just plain poor. Crappy movie.
½ March 18, 2018
The first and second act is superb but the finale is pretty dissapointing. Still a very clever movie thought.
½ March 14, 2018
This movie is 11 years old now but it still carries weight. it's a very good sci-fi thriller that doens't necessarily break the mold - which isn't a bad thing. it uses the sci-fi blueprint of an international group of astronauts on a space mission to save the end of the world. the acting isn't bad, as it gets the job done. the visual effects are slightly outdated now, but they still look nice.
½ February 27, 2018
Seems like a lot of effort with minimal concern for character development. Never really cared if anybody survived. Kinda like Survivor on a spaceship - who gets "voted" off next? The Pinbacker concept was just flat out stupid. Tough to take it serious as it wore on. Pretentious 2001-like finish left me happy that it was over.
½ February 20, 2018
I LOVE 'Sunshine'. It is so, so great, and is exactly my type of film, but desperately wish I could love it more. It is such a beautiful and artful movie, and it gripped me from start to finish. From the middle onwards until the end, events began to unfold with increasing frequency where I kept telling myself that I could have done something better instead. I am so jealous that I wasn't the one who made this movie but boy am I glad it exists. Whatever its flaws in logic or direction, I can rationalize anything because I am too fond of this movie to complain about it. Must-watch sci-fi.
½ February 10, 2018
I love this film. I can admit that parts of it are hokey, however, compared to other films they put out these days (2018) it's fantastic and captured my interest from beginning to end.
February 9, 2018
Literally one of the best scifi movies ever! And probably one of the best soundtracks ever!
February 2, 2018
An absolutely memorizing, quiet movie. Though I didn't care for the last 20 minutes, I'm in love with the other 125. If you are wanting to see Sunshine, by all means do. It's so brilliantly constructed and beautifully raw that I was so affected by the quiet gore and the movie's slow pace, intelligent action and believable scenarios. Just excuse the silly climax.
January 13, 2018
An extremely smart sci-fi suspense filled ride to revive a dying sun.
½ December 25, 2017
M-F

8.4

[Danny Boyle]
½ December 13, 2017
garbage. confusing editing, pointless flares and motion blur and a bunch of added elements that contributed to nothing but more confusion. not to mention the villain made no sense, and at best it was an insult to any form of belief in god.