Sunshine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunshine Reviews

July 22, 2016
****
'Sunshine' is a terrific sci-fi entry from Danny Boyle, who seems to be able to do basically every genre there is. It's got an interesting premise, good performances, and an ending that suddenly changes the genre to a horror movie, which is both a good and bad thing.
July 4, 2016
Saw it -- was very riveting
June 27, 2016
The film Sunshine mirrors space movies like Alien and Event Horizon.  When few are sent on a mission through space of great importance it is probable that most or all will die.  Sunshine begins: "Our sun is dying. Mankind faces extinction."  The second Icarus mission is sent from Earth with a payload to deliver smack into the sun.  Think of giant jumper cables to ignite the dying star.  Earth is a frozen tundra.  A giant sun shield protects Icarus from (even though it is nearing death) the still immense heat of the sun.  Ship psychiatrist Searle spends time on the observation deck looking at the sun.  Need any more reasons why this movie is bad ass?  Time in space tends to bring out the crazy in some.  That's where things go awry for Icarus and her crew.  I won't spoil it for you.
½ June 18, 2016
Very good portrayal of problems that humans could face and what would they do about it. Movie shows us that mankind is more important than individuals and we are able to see what crew had on their backs. When you thought it was going to be another boring Sci-fi movie director uses surprise effect and keeps you to the end of the movie waiting and expecting what is going to happen. Cillian performance is something you will remember as he successfully gives us experience of what is happening and at the end how beautiful Sun is. 90/100
June 10, 2016
A combination of horror and sci-fi that loses it's mind and does it's best to stop making sense in the third act.
½ June 10, 2016
Engaging sci fi thriller with a great cast, though the twist/ending was slightly far fetched
½ June 7, 2016
A brilliant sci fi movie that has a great fresh story but isn't told all that well at times and it got very silly at times too and it did ruin the movie, It's brilliantly acted and yes the plot is very farfetched but it was good with allot of twists and turns along the way, The ending was how it should of ended just lack of knowledge of what was going on made the climax not as satisfying as it should of been.
May 26, 2016
Expertly crafted and hauntingly beautiful, but falls apart in the second half.
½ May 23, 2016
This movie is absolutely excellent.
½ May 19, 2016
Went in completely blind with this movie, came out even more blind after.
½ May 19, 2016
I really enjoyed this film. Yes it has problems, I don't like the flashy images added in or the bright, blurry shots and I don't think everything is explained as well as the film deserves. Some may even argue the final act is too hectic but I didn't mind. I think some serious tension was created here thanks too great acting (Cillian Murphy, Chris Evans and Rose Bryne do a particularly good job) playing some realistic and likeable characters and the score is fantastic. Danny Boyle's style did annoy me as the film went on though. Like seriously I know you want to put your trademark techniques in there so everyone knows it's your film but come on man! That style doesn't suit space films as well as zombie flicks.
May 12, 2016
it was good... both the story and the cast...
May 7, 2016
While the majority of this film is bordering on classic sci-fi territory, the last quarter or so of this film almost completely derails it.
½ May 6, 2016
Amazingly bad. Can't understand the sequence of scenes or what anybody does. Incredibly bad science, even for science fiction. Don't loose a second with this film, you won't ever have your second back and you will regret it!
½ May 2, 2016
great acting, suspenseful writing, gritty thriller
½ May 1, 2016
This would be a five-star rated movie if not for a few things in the movie that do not make much logical sense. However, Sunshine is still an awe-inspiring sci-fi film that has extremely beautiful visuals, great character development, and great performances from Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans. It has one of the wildest endings I've ever seen, and it wraps up the movie very well.
½ April 11, 2016
Visually incredible and satisfying, almost to the point of no return.
April 9, 2016
great film about people on broad the ship, not so much science and the drama seems too force
½ April 2, 2016
I didn't dislike Sunshine or anything after my first watch. I though it was fine, but nothing special. The wonders a re-watch can do because Sunshine truly is a wonder. From the outstanding visuals to the incredible score there are so many things to love about this movie. In my opinion its easily one of the most underrated Science Fiction films in the last 10 years.

The entire cast is really great. However, the standout for me was Chris Evans. This is definitely my favorite Chris Evans' performance outside of Captain American and I think I might even like this performance more.

The visuals and score wow...what more can be said about both of these other than they're absolutely amazing. Even if you don't like the story, you have to at least have great appreciation for the visuals and score. Really mesmerizing stuff.

A lot of people really dislike the third act of this film and I can understand why. Personally, I really dug it. Yes, there is a pretty dramatic shift in tone. But that shift just added another trilling aspect to an already intense film.

This movie has everything you could possibly want in a Science Fiction film.
½ March 12, 2016
Danny Boyle is easily one of my favorite directors. His style is so unique that only he can pull it off. but sometimes, style can be overdone.
In Sunshine the sun is dying and earth is becoming a dark and cold place. so a group of astronauts is sent to reignite the sun with a huge explosion, which is based completely on theory, none of the astronauts know if it will work. sounds like a science fiction classic right? well it has shades of a classic. the acting overall os very good. Cillian Murphy steals the show, he is phenomenal in this movie and he disappears into his role. Chris Evans is good but not great and so is the rest of the cast. the visuals are gorgeous as well. No Danny Boyle movie has ever looked bad. but his style does hit yiu over the head slightly too much in this movie, especially towards the end. I still believe it is directed very well, but some of the more psychedelic shots near the end kind of bothered me, but not to were I hated it. The suspense is very good, which is suprising as you really only care for Cillian Murphys character. the rest of the characters felt expendable and I felt little attachment. and I blame the script for this. it had many great ideas, but it forgot about the character depth. I did really enjoy the ending. I thought it was handled very well, and the last shot gave me a good sense of closure. overall I really enjoyed this movie. way better than a lot of the sci-fi garbage that comes out now. check it out if like you Science fiction and Danny Boyle.

7.4/10