Sunshine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunshine Reviews

May 25, 2017
Y luego se aburren y se ríen de estas películas!!!!
½ May 11, 2017
Rotten to the computer core!
½ April 20, 2017
A good Sci-Fi movie with a great cast.
April 16, 2017
Sunshine is a under appreciated sci-fi by Danny Boyle. It features a ton of great cinematography and a great ensemble cast. The story is handled with great care, and I was really enjoying this film for a large portion of it. The massive usage of yellow and other warm colors works great. This film hardly skipped a beat...until the last 25 minutes. Then it turned into some kind of slasher flick and the movie really lost me as a result. I still enjoyed the last 25 minutes, but it was a completely different film than what I was accustomed to for the rest of the time building up to it. However, I cannot lie that as a whole there is a lot of great things about this movie, and should probably get more recognition than it receives.
April 4, 2017
Out of all the movies I've ever seen, Sunshine is the one that I've watched the most because it is very addicting.

This is set in the future when the sun is dying out. 8 astronauts then have to go to the sun to deliver a stellar bomb in hopes of re-starting the sun. But the mission proves to be increasingly difficult.

I wasn't a fan at first but this has grown on me a lot. This is a very entertaining movie. It will keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. What I like about it is that it kept me engaged all throughout it. Every single one of its action sequences keeps you on the edge of your seats the entire time. The sacrifices made by the crew members are heroic and jaw-dropping. Every characters death scene is handled with care and is done superbly. The movie handles its scenes with care to make them look as good as possible. The movie has a lot of repeat watchability due to this and it adds a whole lot to this movie.

I know that a lot of people complained about Pinbacker, but I disagree with you all. The movie needed something big to spice things up. It needed something to raise tension. Otherwise, the movie would've just been bland. Pinbacker brought a lot of tension to the movie and he carried it with excellence. I know that it's a drastic change of plot so I can understand why someone might not like it. However, what you have to admit is that Pinbacker was a lot better than most slasher/horror movies nowadays. Also, the final third had moving scenes too. Mays death was an amazing scene, the Capa's jump scene is tense and well-done, and the last 5 minutes is just downright beautiful.

This is a really underrated movie. It deserves much more praise. I think that this is a masterpiece. I've seen a few good arguments people have been bringing up but they don't affect my opinion of this. This is one of my favorite movies of all time.
½ February 26, 2017
The scariest movie I've ever seen.
February 8, 2017
great sci-fi adventure/survival movie. lots of beautifully-shot scenes. the visuals and cinematography were superb. the story was great, lots of suspense. good cast. (3 viewings)
February 6, 2017
Similar to Event Horizon but not as good but watchable
January 14, 2017
Different, intriguing,
January 5, 2017
Sunshine is a thoroughly entertaining film. Despite its over-ambitious characters and what-the-hell final act, the story is solid, packed with great visuals, strange alien-ness, moderately good cast performances, and also, some abnormal scenes.
½ December 29, 2016
Fifty years from now, the sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. There is an accident, a fatal mistake, and a distress beacon from a spaceship that disappeared seven years earlier. Soon the crew is fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.
½ October 11, 2016
Sunshine is able to thrill and impress despite an uneven final act, largely thanks to strong performances and Danny Boyle's radiant visual effects.
October 9, 2016
Just awful. I mean, it looks pretty. But none of it makes sense. The first two thirds is straight forward disaster movie fodder which would have been fine. I could overlook the obvious nonsense that the plot hinges on our sun dying, but it can be restarted by a bomb the size of Manhattan ffs, and that for some reason we decided against the sensible idea of sending a robotic craft. But then they decided that wasn't enough and to go a bit "Event Horizon " on us for the ending. But it ends up being a mess.
October 6, 2016
Good film with good twists
September 22, 2016
If a Science Fiction film is to be taken seriously, it must be believable. I'm no scientist but I'm sure there are several inaccuracies here. I found it hard to believe that a team of experts who are sent into space to save the world are mainly in their 20s and they are reckless enough to get into physical fights with each other over small things. It looks like they were just pulled off the street instead of undergoing years of technical, physical, and mental training. And the catalyst for the movie, the deviation of the course of the ship, is done by one guy, on his own, while everyone is asleep and not even the captain is present. And of course, to quote the character in question, it "fucks up". Gimme a break.
September 9, 2016
One of the best science fiction films in a long time. Cillian Murphy's performance is amazing along with the rest of the cast and one of the few times Chris Evans has impressed me in film.
½ September 4, 2016
A fairly good movie. Had to watch it twice to come up with my final conclusion. It's one of those movies where you have to pay attention to things said earlier on in order to understand certain things. The only downside is that most of the characters makes the wrong decision but it wouldn't be a movie if they didn't.
August 28, 2016
This movie is almost a duplicate of 1997's Event Horizon, which makes the vast diffence in critical reviews on these two films all the more suspect. As they are near clones, I'll give this film the same rating.
½ August 28, 2016
What a godawful mess
August 21, 2016
With an interesting concept and a talented director, Sunshine sounded like an innovative science fiction story.

Sunshine immediately thrusts the story to a point in the mission where the characters are already within the orbit of Mercury and thus a short distance from the sun. This gives us no contextualization to the current situation on earth, the nature behind starting the mission or just what the mission meant to anybody on a personal level. We are given nothing to lead us into the story, we are just thrown the middle of it without consideration. The pace of the film moves along steadily enough to allow audiences to adjust without confusion, but we aren't necessarily given much of a reason to care about the characters in the film aside from general obligation.
Sunshine boasts a story about a collection of astronauts and scientists on a journey to the sun to reignite it and save planet earth in the process, but along the way everybody manages to forget about this and jeer the narrative off into a completely different path. The majority of the focus in Sunshine is simply on the main characters struggling to survive due to the fault of human error in their space journey, and it soon becomes an experiment to see how many ways writer Alex Garland can come up with for killing off his characters. The story in Sunshine is clearly inspired by a multitude of science fiction classics, borrowing from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Solaris (1972) and Alien (1979). Oddly enough a film that cites these three features as key influences was already directed by Paul W. S. Anderson. I refer to the science fiction horror film Event Horizon (1997), an imperfect yet seriously underrated box office bomb which has since earned the status of being a cult classic. Much like Sunshine, Event Horizon proves to bring itself into contact with slasher film conventions. But since everybody is aware that it is a horror film there is nothing in disguise. Sunshine insists on falling into the same narrative path yet pretending that it is something more. Sunshine does have the credibility of using themes from Armageddon (1998), Silent Running (1971) and Dark Star (1974) to elicit nostalgia, but these are arbitrary points to the story which offer it nothing in the long run. Sunshine aims for more emotional heft while Event Horizon was of a far more exploitation nature as it opted more for commercial gimmicks. But when it comes down to it, both films follow plotlines too similar to disregard. And against all expectations, I must say that Event Horizon triumphs as a superior film simply because it isn't as pretentious as Sunshine. In essence Sunshine is little more than a slasher film set in outer space where the killer is constantly changing, and any attempt it makes to pretend it is something else proves to just pile on a surplus of one-dimensional characters and arbitrary plot points which make no direct contribution to the story path.
Sunshine seems to be convinced that its display of the mysteries of space and science are a subject of intellectual marvel, but in actuality they are just used as devices to kill off the characters. This renders much of the imagery pointless in the lasting value of the narrative, ensuring that the film stays one-dimensional. It's really a shame because Sunshine managed to wring some truly impressive production values out of its relatively small budget of $40 million thanks to skilful production design, costumes and visual effects. Of course the highlight of the film's technical achievements is the magnificent musical score which captures the large scale of the journey and the sentimentality of the emotional intensity. During the climax of the story, the musical score is captivating in truly the finest sense of the word. Danny Boyle proves to maintain his sense of imagery even in the face of an ineffective screenplay.
Also, the diverse nature of the cast really lends the film a realistic ear of credibility and provides roles to people of various races outside of the conventional Hollywood sphere. It's just a shame that there are really no characters supplied to back them up as there are countless characters and little who are memorable. Everyone offers some kind of one-dimensional story of their own which doesn't go anywhere and essentially proves to be a tedious distraction from the central narrative. So as a means of establishing any favourites, it's really a matter of personal preference for cast members. In my case I liked Cliff Curtis the most because he spoke with a very eloquent sophistication. He explains the scientific language of the film at a steady and coherent pace without resorting to a condescending extent of layman's terms, and he does it with a truly genuine nature to him which adds a sense of humanity to his presence. He's smart but he takes a simple path not to complicate things, keeping him likable. Cliff Curtis has always been an actor I've respected, and so I'm happy to see him working in mainstream American cinema where he really gets a chance to display his talents to a wide audience.
Rose Byrne also contributes a strong effort as she is seemingly the most emotionally involved of all the cast members, keeping in a heightened state of intensity which plays out in both her line delivery and her physical movements. Benedict Wong similarly stands out predominantly because of the raw human emotion he displays when delivering a really intense monologue close to the start of the film. He comes off as being a very genuine human being on the basis of this scene.
Cillian Murphy is also effective and Mark Strong is an easily convincing villain. Chris Evans is also a welcome presence in his pre-Avengers career.

Sunshine has a talented cast and a strong sense of style, making it all the more disappointing when the narrative fails to capitalize on its concept and falls into a path of slasher film conventions and recycled plot points from superior science fiction films.