Taking Woodstock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taking Woodstock Reviews

May 15, 2016
Artistic, creative, light, fun and entertaining.

And a brilliant performance from Liev Schrieber. Makes the movie worth it alone. He stole every scene he was in, by basically playing this guy-in-a-dress as straight as possible. It works wonders.

And I disagree that the lead (Demetri Martin) lacks star quality. I think that the character he was playing is simply a mellow/shy/down-to-earth guy. If he overdid it, it would be unrealistic. He did an excellent job of playing someone caught up in a world beyond anything he'd ever imagined.

I also disagree that we needed to be shown glimpses of the actual concert/performers. It's called Taking Woodstock, not The Performances of Woodstock. It's behind the scenes of the concert. That's what I expected and that's what I got. I don't want to see actors portraying these famous musicians, or a documentary of the actual performances. It's un-necessary for THIS movie.

The mood/tone/atmosphere of the movie is strong and consistent...and interesting, to top it off. Ang Lee made a choice and stuck with it.
April 26, 2016
Ang Lee turns his attention to peace and love and coming of age in the 60's, and as always succeeds.
½ April 19, 2016
kind of biased because i grew up 10 minutes from where woodstock was....but it was still fantastic. Bought the dvd and it will sit firmly in my collection
November 3, 2015
Lee's film manages to capture the groovy vibe of the famous festival, although it doesn't quite develop the protagonist very well and isn't that revealing about the magic of Woodstock itself. The result is enjoyable yet definitely underwhelming.
April 19, 2015
i may want to see this but i cant be sure because i havent seen enough previews
April 16, 2015
I'd watch it but it has the potential to really suck.
April 11, 2015
Ang Lee really fails with this film. Though I can't help but note that I probably disliked it more because it was made by such a great filmmaker. But this film is really very much a string of cliches.
January 20, 2015
Lo mejor la recreaciòn del mìtico concierto de Woodstock y el diseño de producciòn.
½ December 21, 2014
Ang Lee is one hell of a film maker, like him or not he can bounce between genres like no tomorrow and always have his movies feel fresh and full of life. Taking Woodstock is no exception, this excellent story tells the tale of a young Jewish man named Elliot, who cares too much for his parents and their failing business to go and have a life of his own. After hearing about the cancellation of a music festival with potential, he decides to jump at the chance to help achieve it in his small community and better the town and his family business for good. However along the way, not only does he find hostility from the locals, he also has a wide array of soul searching to do as a person. First of all this cast is pure gold, it really is, everyone is perfectly cast. Demetri Martin, Emile Hersch, Eugine Levy, Liev Schieber, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, hell even Paul Dano shows up to join the fun. Every character is played not perfect, comical or serious, tonally everyone is on the ball. Smartly Lee decides to pay more attention to the characters than the festival itself, which is brilliant as we get something completely fresh and unexpected, this film rips up the cliche book, just when you think youve got it sussed, Lee throws a subtle curveball which actually feels revitalising as a movie fan. As goes without saying it is incredible to look at, the entire feel and cinematography of this film is pitch perfect, Danny Elfmans score is wonderful, even the completley insane moments that happen in this film just give you a jolt of hilarity and fun. Finally a coming of age film that doesnt feel like its preaching. There are points during the film where large segments will go past without a pivotal character even being around, however with such a large cast, its quite hard to juggle everyone equally throughout. It does also feel like, Lee could have spent a bit more time with this one, i understand its 2 hours already but a little extra, just to tie up some loose ends would not have gone a miss. A rare gem.
½ December 5, 2014
Underusing the fantastic comedian Eugene Levy and while some Demetri Martin's (who is also underused) deadpan delivery sells a couple laughs, Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock is a missed opportunity.
½ November 23, 2014
A decent drama centered around the concert at Woodstock.
November 17, 2014
Not worth its 2 hours.....Lets just put it at that. And oh... watch Liev Schreiber as a transgender
½ November 3, 2014
Es una pelcula entretenida, divertida y bien armada. Quizs los personajes quedan un poco al debe, el guin los deja un poco en el aire o al libre albedro de sus estereotipos, pero al final funciona dignamente.
½ October 9, 2014
I've seen this twice and I look forward to seeing it again. It's my favorite Ang Lee movie. It truly captures the muddy, earthy feeling of upstate New York, where I grew up. It also captures a hint of the spirit of oneness and spiritual questing so many of us experienced in the mid to late sixties and early seventies. It came out the same year as my first novel, which was also intended to capture the inside-out view of an expanding universe of love and possibility. If only we weren't so human, but I guess that's why we're here, isn't it?
August 17, 2014
It looks pretty interesting to me!
½ July 29, 2014
This movie has no idea what kind of movie it wants to be. The first half feels like its going to be about the behind the scenes logistics of the famous concert from the vantage point of the small town that ended up hosting it, but then diverges from that and becomes more of a singular character piece for the main character, who alone isn't very interesting. There's some characters that don't go anywhere - why is Emile Hirsch in this? He's wasted in a nothing role. Actually, lots of actors in this feel mostly wasted. I think the problem was taking the interesting premise, and then focusing on the least interesting dynamic possible at WOODSTOCK!
½ July 12, 2014
A movie that worked mainly because of the wacky, charming characters that filled the screen. Demitri Martin was surprisingly well-cast in this role, and Imelda Staunton and Henry Goodman were a hoot as Elliot's parents. I could praise many more of the performances, but it might get a bit redundant. I will say though, I would have loved to have seen more of Eugene Levy-- such a great role for him.
June 22, 2014
YESYESYES. I want to see this more then anything!
June 12, 2014
Taking Woodstock start interesting, but went the film begings to show the festival, Woodstock stay disagreeably sweet and presents a not so good screenplay, featuring some cliches. Don't focus really on the festival, showing just the making off. Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock is disappointing. Rotten.
June 6, 2014
Surprsingly, Ang Lee sometimes shows very little passion in his efforts, and this is a definite example of that. Demetri Martin is usually hilarious, but in this he is so boring and uninteresting that it basically ruins the movie. You don't care for any of the characters, the focus of the story isn't very fun, and it's just not very good.