The Adventures of Milo and Otis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Milo and Otis Reviews

February 17, 2019
My Favorite Movie Ever.
January 31, 2019
i watched this when i was very little i love it
December 9, 2018
A cute and charming adventure for all ages.
March 31, 2018
Fresh and fun for the little ones
½ March 18, 2018
At minute 46:25 of Milo and Otis footage, seagulls eat a kitten, showing a live terrified, running kitten eaten into flying blood flesh, really visibly flying live kitten eaten blood, into the air of a cliff, which clearly evidences that the Japanese filmmaker in Japan and those related in the Japanese film industry refused to stop the attacking on the kitten running for its life. Everyone can see for oneself through free live streaming. There is no cover up or dead end in seeing it with one's own eyes. The bureaucracy and red tape claims bring into question excuse-making.
January 29, 2018
Tremendous amount of animal abuse during filming. Google "Milo and Otis deleted scenes," e.g..
½ January 5, 2018
Cute family film, great for kids; maybe not so great for adults.
½ July 1, 2017
Though this film has had some controversy over the years due to the animals allegedly being "abused" and even "killed" during the production of the original Japanese tale, the American version is (Fortunately) much more heartwarming and cutesy to the average viewer. Heck, this was a childhood favorite of mine growing up, and I can definitely say that it still holds up to this day. The narration performed by Dudley Moore is honestly some of the best that I have ever heard, and that is saying a lot. And thought the plot is familiar, it manages to become a very emotional and somewhat sadistic approach that I think turned out wonderful. Overall, I loved it as a child, and I still love it to this day! Recommended for all ages (Though may be to intense for 2-4 year olds).
June 19, 2017
one of my favorite childhood movies
½ May 18, 2017
As a kid I remember liking this movie. As an adult I learned about the animal cruelty involved in making it. No amount of cute and uplifting story can outweigh animal cruelty.
½ May 5, 2017
fails due to the animal cruelty claims which the film makers have never disputed
June 14, 2016
OMG THIS IS THE BEST DOG (And cat) MOVIE EVER! Besides Napoleon! X33 I recommend it to all animal lovers!
½ September 29, 2015
Series of misadventures occur after Milo the orange tabby is separated from his pug best friend Otis. A nice story of loyalty and friendship. Hopefully no animals were harmed making this, some stunts looked dangerous and the poor cat looked flat-out terrified in some scenes.
½ September 28, 2015
A childhood favorite Milo and Otis is an adorable movie with tons of heart. i love it's score, characters, comedy, overall feel. Not to mention a nice naration from dudley moore. It takes me out of reality and back to a simpler time. But what keeps this film from nirvana is its plethora of useless characters, scenarios, and what the did to the animals during filming. still there is a certain art to filming animals and adding dialogue. worth a check out to any child.
July 31, 2015
I have loved this movie for years
July 12, 2015
A charming family film that was purely made in Japan for international audiences. It actually took 4 years to make & there was over 40 hours of footage to cut down.

As an adult it's not very engaging but more interesting how much they achieved with just an all animal cast.

It was a massive hit in Japan & did strong internationally. It's cute & has a charm and will appeal to children with an attention span.
½ July 7, 2015
This movie has overwhelming evidence of Animal Cruelty, I wouldn't get any entertainment out of watching this.
May 19, 2015
Very much for young ones, with not a hint of sophistication or coolness. But also very cute and charming...until you hear the rumors about how they made it. Then watching it takes on a deeply disturbing angle, as you wonder how many kittens were killed in the name of all that cuteness. Fun song though.
March 23, 2015
One of my faves from childhood that I have passed on to my kids now!
½ February 23, 2015
Sometimes a dog has to do what a dog has to do...

Milo and Otis are best friends on the farm. One day, Milo embarks on an adventure he believes is all his own; however, Otis will not allow him to stray from the farm on his own. Otis tracks down Milo and saves him on several occasions without Milo even noticing. Eventually they meet up and finish the adventure together, as best friends.

"At least he finally found out he's a chicken."

Masanori Hata delivers the Adventures of Milo and Otis in his directorial debut (and this is the only movie on his resume). The storyline for this picture is very fun and the film feels like a children's book. The animals and the way they interacted were amazing and very well done by Hata and his team.

"Milo was trouble from the very beginning."

We came across this movie on Netflix and recently got a puppy so I thought this would be a fun film to watch with my daughter. She giggled throughout the film and found it fairly entertaining. It definitely kept her attention. This is borderline worth adding to your DVD collection.

"Dreams will surely come..."

Grade: B-