The Adventures of Milo and Otis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Milo and Otis Reviews

June 14, 2016
OMG THIS IS THE BEST DOG (And cat) MOVIE EVER! Besides Napoleon! X33 I recommend it to all animal lovers!
½ September 29, 2015
Series of misadventures occur after Milo the orange tabby is separated from his pug best friend Otis. A nice story of loyalty and friendship. Hopefully no animals were harmed making this, some stunts looked dangerous and the poor cat looked flat-out terrified in some scenes.
½ September 28, 2015
A childhood favorite Milo and Otis is an adorable movie with tons of heart. i love it's score, characters, comedy, overall feel. Not to mention a nice naration from dudley moore. It takes me out of reality and back to a simpler time. But what keeps this film from nirvana is its plethora of useless characters, scenarios, and what the did to the animals during filming. still there is a certain art to filming animals and adding dialogue. worth a check out to any child.
July 31, 2015
I have loved this movie for years
July 12, 2015
A charming family film that was purely made in Japan for international audiences. It actually took 4 years to make & there was over 40 hours of footage to cut down.

As an adult it's not very engaging but more interesting how much they achieved with just an all animal cast.

It was a massive hit in Japan & did strong internationally. It's cute & has a charm and will appeal to children with an attention span.
½ July 7, 2015
This movie has overwhelming evidence of Animal Cruelty, I wouldn't get any entertainment out of watching this.
May 19, 2015
Very much for young ones, with not a hint of sophistication or coolness. But also very cute and charming...until you hear the rumors about how they made it. Then watching it takes on a deeply disturbing angle, as you wonder how many kittens were killed in the name of all that cuteness. Fun song though.
March 23, 2015
One of my faves from childhood that I have passed on to my kids now!
½ February 23, 2015
Sometimes a dog has to do what a dog has to do...

Milo and Otis are best friends on the farm. One day, Milo embarks on an adventure he believes is all his own; however, Otis will not allow him to stray from the farm on his own. Otis tracks down Milo and saves him on several occasions without Milo even noticing. Eventually they meet up and finish the adventure together, as best friends.

"At least he finally found out he's a chicken."

Masanori Hata delivers the Adventures of Milo and Otis in his directorial debut (and this is the only movie on his resume). The storyline for this picture is very fun and the film feels like a children's book. The animals and the way they interacted were amazing and very well done by Hata and his team.

"Milo was trouble from the very beginning."

We came across this movie on Netflix and recently got a puppy so I thought this would be a fun film to watch with my daughter. She giggled throughout the film and found it fairly entertaining. It definitely kept her attention. This is borderline worth adding to your DVD collection.

"Dreams will surely come..."

Grade: B-
½ January 22, 2015
This movie is more of a nature and animal documentary... and then occasionally a guy would come on and narrate a script... it was pretty bad.... i got so bored that i eventually put the subtitles on and fast forward on the slowest setting and when i saw text i would press play and listen to the 30 seconds of boring dialog... Don't bother with this movie...
December 23, 2014
Great story, but when you find out what they did to the animal stars...yikes...
September 12, 2014
I love this movie! One of my all time favorites! The thoughts however of how the film may have been made, since it real live animals, has me thinking about it. Everything looks cute and fun, until the real adventure begins, with the cat drifting away in a box down the river. The situations and dangers seen in the film, make me wonder if these animals suffered during the making of it. The cat in seen in the air thrown off a cliff into the ocean... there is no CGI or effects... it is clear and real. Very epic scene as it was Milo's only way to escape the birds... but man... seriously?
September 8, 2014
Great Children's movie, cute story about unlikely best friends.
½ June 23, 2014
I loved this movie as a kid, but watching it as an adult was disturbing because of the animal cruelty and almost certain murder of animals involved in the making of the film.

For instance (quoting from the animalsmattertoo article):
*A kitten or cat is thrown from an [extremely high] cliff into the ocean. This cat does his utmost to survive; he hits the turbulent water and immediately starts swimming for dear life. (This is where the American version cuts) He makes it to the rocks where the cliff meets the sea and starts climbing back up the perilous cliff. Halfway up, he slips and falls back into the ocean. The film-makers cut away. It is clearly another soaking-wet cat who we see safely on the beach in the next scene. Gee I wonder what happened to the first cat?

* A cat is sent down the rapids of a raging river in a flimsy little box while Dudley Moore drunkenly jabbers, "Oh dear me! Oh my! Goodness!" The cat is terrified. The box goes over a small-to-medium waterfall, with the cat inside. This cat seems to have survived this part of its ordeal, in a great deal of vocal stress. The box continues down the river. The film-makers cut away.

The problem with the film is that it capitalizes on putting animals in dangerous situations and exploits their distress. "No animals were harmed in the making of this film" does NOT appear in the credits.
June 16, 2014
This is a beautiful heart wrenching move. I loved it
½ May 16, 2014
This movie is so bad. I hate it so much. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooboring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ May 3, 2014
if it wasn't for Dudley Moore and his narration this movie would be considered one of the worst. Parents will be bored while children will be bored as well. It's about a dog and a cat that float down the river.
½ April 8, 2014
One of the best animal buddy films I've ever seen. You watch it now and can't believe they got away with some of it, but it really is adorable and heartwarming and absolutely a complete overdose of cuteness in every scene. Oh and P.S., I've only seen the American version, no idea what was too intense for American eyes.
½ March 11, 2014
A simple but wonderful family film. (First viewing - Childhood)
January 30, 2014
use to watch this all the time a great movie, Alot of nostalgic value its also a very cute movie (just saying) - 8/10