The East - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The East Reviews

September 14, 2016
Although it has an interesting plot and solid acting, The East follows predictable ways through its ending.
½ July 22, 2016
When we are in search for something much more real in life, then what we already have, are fulfilled with all what we amount too? When we search for those responsible for creating such a havoc in our lives, interrupting what is real and causing such disaster, we need to put a stop to. When we are in search for more then those whom are hidden and unseen and unreal to the world, to find we are the same like them. When what we never intended to search for we find in an unreal place filled with those whom welcome us and live differently and enriched in other ways we never could imagine. When we are foreign to such places now that we search for our real place where we fit in. When our duty and job is to search and expose others for the world to wer, and show the true reality of what is happening we are conflicted which side we are on. When When our search is to protect our clients, but our clients are hurting our people, we know whom is really on the wrong side. When we searched for ourselves what our true real self wants in life, and search for people similar to us to get them on the right side.
June 25, 2016
Intense, exciting and thought provoking
½ May 14, 2016
I absolutely love the cast and the plot keeps you interested
April 21, 2016
Infiltrating an Eco-terrorism gang targeting CEOs of big corporations seemed a bit too easy, just like joining a party next door.
April 21, 2016
Bars raised, expectations soared and I have been eagerly waiting to see what Brit Marling as a writer was going to do next after watching her superlative 'Another Earth' and 'The Sound of my Voice'. While the previous works grabbed my attention wanting for more, this one came off as a mechanized script intended to feed off people similar to me who got hooked to their earlier formula of an intriguing premise, hum of a background score and an impossible finish.

'The East' an anarchist group claims responsibility for recent attacks on major corporations for various reasons as releasing untested drugs or contaminating lakes with chemicals. An elite private intelligence agency sends in a covert operative Sarah (Brit Marling) to infiltrate the group and find out their next move. Sarah succumbs into connecting to the group's ideologies helped by their charismatic leader Benji (Alexander Skarsgård) and an emotional Izzy (Ellen Page).

Brit Marling seems to be stuck with a layer of acting and writing which was very innovative and different when it started but beginning to feel suffocated with its repetition. The premise is not as innovative as their predecessors maybe I was over expecting and the entire execution felt disconnected. While acting is good in parts, but overall feel is pretentious. The background score has become redundant. The most compelling part of Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij was how they end, this was a complete let down.

By trying to beat the formula too often the writers got stuck with a new formula
March 25, 2016
The movie started out intense, interesting, and thought provoking, but overtime it showed that the writers simply had an idea - one they probably thought was startling, and eye opening - that wasn't good enough to escape the basic plot line of many other movies like it. The movie becomes stagnant by its midpoint, and moves along completely predictable all the way to the end. The writers had good intentions, but they didn't appear to know enough about the subject aside from what they've already seen on TV or read on conspiracy sites.
February 17, 2016
this movie was kind of great; very well done. gives you perspective.
½ February 16, 2016
The east has an interesting story and good concept. Decent performances. I wish the movie wasn't so talky and focused more on their actions. Some pacing issues as well.
½ February 11, 2016
Good premise, but the scriptwriters evidently got bored and couldn't be bothered to give it a decent ending. Shame really.
½ January 19, 2016
I admittedly had low expectations for this movie. However, I actually quite liked it. A gripping, interesting storyline. Ending was properly my least favourite part.
November 29, 2015
The East (2013) is a great film filled with great actors and actresses with a story-line that needs a whole lot more exposure. The East shows a little bit of boths sides of the argument versus how the real world news makes everyone out there that is trying to correct or fix something the bad people while the bad in this world run it all.

The East shows how they're good and bad people in everything, those that stand up for the right things yet in a group with some who have the wrong intentions; whilst at the same time the media showing these groups to be harmful while covering up for the companies who are causing the issues to have such groups. The East shows how the biggest concern with stopping groups like this is only to financially gain from it as everything in this world revolves around. The East is a great movie and everyone needs to see it.
½ November 26, 2015
Brit Marling (who also co-wrote the film) stars as an agent for a private intelligence firm that sends her undercover to infiltrate an anarchist group ("the East") that is attacking corporations that have poisoned and polluted the environment. Of course, she begins to feel a part of this group of warm and lovable rebels who really want the right things (but who are using the wrong methods). Things unfold pretty gradually but with a slick thriller framework that means that deeper character development and the more serious implications of the issues at hand are foregone in lieu of pulse-quickening music and tense action scenes and some romance for good measure. But even in the film's quieter moments, you get the feeling that you've been here before (even if the surface details - a private spy agency? -- are rather new). Nevertheless, a strong female lead in a thriller is always welcome; it's just too bad that the script can't quite rise above its schematic set up. Perhaps too it is deeply ambivalent about whether evil corporations should be fought by any means necessary or not. The moral complexity of these issues deserves a more contemplative treatment than the Hollywood thriller format can offer.
½ October 4, 2015
The East is driven by a heavy-handed political agenda that sometimes goes overboard even for its standards, leaving the audience in the middle, with no real side to choose from.
½ September 17, 2015
Minns inte så noga, mest att den var lite skum
September 13, 2015
Alexander Skarsgard reaIly made this movie for me. I really loved this movie. IT was quite genius. it made me want to leave this life and join a cult. seriously.
September 8, 2015
Brit Marling stars in another Indie thriller where she goes undercover with an eco terrorist group that exposes corporate America and their shadyness and how they are destroying the world itself. It starts out very well. Provides thought provoking ideas and also makes you think if this stuff is really going on. We know we waste WAY too much food, so I like that this addresses possible other problems. It builds up very well and then just drops off quick and abandons everything it built up and ends so blandly.
September 6, 2015
Excellent thriller!! strong, real honest. If you like to see strong female characters with topnotch acting and a fantastic script, look no further. I am surprised it wasn't more popular.
August 19, 2015
An excellent thriller with excellent acting and very interesting message!! Somehow one realize that both world are corrupted