The Forgiven Reviews

• Aug 03, 2020

Loved the performances of Eric Bana & Forest Whitaker, they were both outstanding! I also loved the story of forgiveness & how we must all come together instead of condemning each other. Wish this movie had come out in 2020 instead of a few years ago as the message is needed now more than ever.

• Nov 09, 2019

The forgiven has a good story behind it and the performances from forest Whitaker and Eric Bana are very good. Unfortunately the movie itself is not. The pacing is very off and the tone needs work. Plus I found a lot of this movie to just be plain boring. In the hands of a better director I feel this could’ve been a much better movie.

• Nov 09, 2019

• Oct 13, 2019

Amazing, a master piece in acting. A messages to the world we all need to hear. Years in between movies like this. Thank you!

• Feb 17, 2019

Incredibly moving and important story very well told. Powerful

Incredibly moving and important story very well told. Powerful

• Feb 13, 2019

With a run-of-the-mill subject-matter in its focal point, "The Forgiven" should have rendered itself as a novelty in the genre of films as far as mass killings and other human right violations are concerned. Instead, however, one gets to take delight only in the outstanding performance of Forest Whitaker and a cohort of finely shaped (yet, truly radicalized) characters, but definitely not in the structural oddity of the film. "The Forgiven" slow-paced and laden with verbose and hard-to-follow dialogues for an average-length production, is an achronological blend of genres, in which little time is devoted either to character analysis and or the development of a stimulating personal account (let alone the introduction of historical facts, save for two quick screenshots before the first scene morphs in). The crux of the problem lies in the fact that one man's overview of real-life events is used wrongly and somewhat solipsistically represent an era of atrocities as well as internal racial and social conflicts. "Out of sight, out of mind" is an apt motto in case one wishes to skip a sluggish product rife with unnecessarily piled-up swearwords and verbal/visual violence, which are hard to stomach and convey no additional meaning as for the morals the film may strive to achieve (or, perhaps, is swearing a manifestation of the vice of all human beings?). Whitaker's performance undoubtedly represents 2 stars of this otherwise poorly written film, whose morals are as evanescent as my memories of the product as a whole.

• Jan 07, 2019

It tries so hard to be an impactful film with a powerful story but ultimately ends up failing miserably. The Forgiven is a dull, wordy drama that seems to go on forever. The amount of dialogue the actors were given is absurd. Whitaker and Bana managed their lines pretty well but their strong performances are wasted on an unforgivably terrible movie.

• Jan 03, 2019

Wonderful movie. It captures humanity and emotion beautifully. Worth watching.

Wonderful movie. It captures humanity and emotion beautifully. Worth watching.

• Nov 12, 2018

An essential film explaining quite a bit of the appartheid and its dissolution. Good and evil fights.

• Nov 01, 2018

Thought both of the main actors were fantastic. The movie highlights what can happen when we move forward, from ground zero, and black/white won't always be at odds with each other. Deeply emotional at the end.