The Fountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fountain Reviews

January 4, 2017
A film that travels between several different story lines that all deal with the subject of immortality. Visually stunning and the story drew me in quickly to care about these characters. Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz are drawn to one another through time and space in these stories. While I really enjoyed it this movie will be widely divisive. The audience will either love it or hate it. I am in the love it camp, but understand those who are in the other.
January 1, 2017
Keep paying close attention and let it finish.
December 27, 2016
A movie about Man's timeless quest for eternal life and love. All religions follow the same story of our flawed mortal beings seeking our own worldly salvation and transcendence only to come up short - shackled by inescapable limitations of our mortality. All is not lost, however, as there is a message of hope. "Death is the path to Awe." It is only because of death that we can truly be in awe of life itself, and find grace in our existence, however flawed it might be.
December 3, 2016
Quality film. Complex, emotional and visually fantastic. Good soundtrack.
November 28, 2016
Hallucinating story about a search for the fountain of eternal youth. A bit confusing, takes a lot of effort for a appreciate.
November 22, 2016
If you don't like being forced to think about what you're seeing, then you probably won't like this. What could be better than an existentialist romance?
November 20, 2016
Despite its visual strength, excellent soundtrack, and a great High Jackman performance The Fountain struggles to keep pace, feels a bit drawn out, and is overly full of itself.
Grade: C+
½ November 12, 2016
I would put this film in a similar category as 2001. That being movies that primarily want to provide an emotional experience that transcends mere narrative. Is this one as perfect as 2001? No, but it's still very, very cool. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at, and some of the symbolism really hits deep. This is definitely a love it or hate it movie, but if you like this sort of thing, go for it.
½ November 7, 2016
"The Fountain" is a story of eternal love,a story about a man who is defying death and about a woman who is accepting him dearly. It's a story about the on going fight for eternal life and the acceptance of a doom that always has to come. Aronofsky told his story by using a lot of parallels and although it was an artistic approach to the themes it sometimes managed to complicate or confuse the watcher. "The Fountain" managed to project its purpose in me but it sure wasn't a masterpiece. Nevertheless it was a promising movie from a very interesting director.
October 17, 2016
i would have given it half a star less if not for the weird-ass climax.

Want to watch it again.
September 27, 2016
This movie offers a lot of promises, and delivers on non of them. It does have a few cool visuals though, but its not enough to save the strange, unfocused ambiguity of the entire ensemble.
½ September 23, 2016
"The Fountain" might be a little confusing, but by the end, everything should be made clear.
September 8, 2016
Still my favorite movie. The cinematography is beautiful, very creative, and there is so much symbolism. Wonderful acting and the music was amazing. Definitely thought provoking and Arronofsky's best film in my opinion. They really pulled together all the pieces of what makes a movie memorable. I've heard a lot of people say they don't get it or they need to watch it more than once. A refreshing film amongst the many lazy plots and overly "entertaining" films made nowadays.
½ September 6, 2016
This one wasn't great. I expect a lot when I see Darren Aronofsky's name attached to a movie, and this one has given me the least thus far. Next up, Noah!
½ September 5, 2016
It's an unappreciated modern classic.
August 30, 2016
A rare kind of mystical fantasy cinema that breaks you emotionally thanks to its is fascinating ideas, gorgeous visuals, incredible performances and excellent craftsmanship - guaranteed to alienate many but also guaranteed to obsess you for weeks.
August 21, 2016
I bet everyone who said Disturbind, Amazing, Extraordinary... didn'T understant shit.
½ August 14, 2016
although i did find the ambience and visual style in this film quite compelling and meditative to watch and take in, i found the constant back and forth between parallels a bit repetitive and the dramatic structure somewhat uneven but it did keep me watching until the end.