The Fountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fountain Reviews

October 17, 2016
i would have given it half a star less if not for the weird-ass climax.

Want to watch it again.
½ October 11, 2016
I would put this film in a similar category as 2001. That being movies that primarily want to provide and emotional experience that transcends pure narrative. Is this one as perfect as 2001? No, but it's still very, very cool. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at, and some of the symbolism really hits deep. This is definitely a love it or hate it movie, but if you like this sort of thing, go for it.
September 27, 2016
This movie offers a lot of promises, and delivers on non of them. It does have a few cool visuals though, but its not enough to save the strange, unfocused ambiguity of the entire ensemble.
½ September 23, 2016
"The Fountain" might be a little confusing, but by the end, everything should be made clear.
September 8, 2016
Still my favorite movie. The cinematography is beautiful, very creative, and there is so much symbolism. Wonderful acting and the music was amazing. Definitely thought provoking and Arronofsky's best film in my opinion. They really pulled together all the pieces of what makes a movie memorable. I've heard a lot of people say they don't get it or they need to watch it more than once. A refreshing film amongst the many lazy plots and overly "entertaining" films made nowadays.
½ September 6, 2016
This one wasn't great. I expect a lot when I see Darren Aronofsky's name attached to a movie, and this one has given me the least thus far. Next up, Noah!
½ September 5, 2016
It's an unappreciated modern classic.
August 30, 2016
A rare kind of mystical fantasy cinema that breaks you emotionally thanks to its is fascinating ideas, gorgeous visuals, incredible performances and excellent craftsmanship - guaranteed to alienate many but also guaranteed to obsess you for weeks.
August 21, 2016
I bet everyone who said « Disturbind, Amazing, Extraordinary...» didn'T understant shit.
½ August 14, 2016
although i did find the ambience and visual style in this film quite compelling and meditative to watch and take in, i found the constant back and forth between parallels a bit repetitive and the dramatic structure somewhat uneven but it did keep me watching until the end.
August 13, 2016
"A fonte da vida" é um filme com uma ótima premissa, trata de um amor que que se transcende ao tempo, e a busca do homem pela fonte da vida, que traria a possibilidade desse amor durar a eternidade, como eu disse, na teoria é ótimo, na pratica tem muitos problemas, os roteiros não lineares tem uma característica de ser confuso, mas "A fonte da vida" mistura linearidade com não linearidade, o que deixa tudo muito mais confuso, e fotografia é fraca, os efeitos especiais depois de um tempo enjoam, a trilha sonora não capta a alma do filme, e o roteiro é confuso, mas a atuação de Hugh Jackman é ótima, e o filme tem 2 ou 3 cenas que nos lembram que Darren Aronofsky dirigiu o filme, no geral a película não é ruim mas não é boa, é extremamente regular, talvez você até possa entrar na viagem transcendental do nosso protagonista, mas essa viagem não atrai e é o filme mais fraco do espetacular diretor Darren Aronofsky.
August 1, 2016
Beautiful. Masterful. A film for today.
July 22, 2016
I loved this film! It's been years since I first saw it and it comes back up in my mind over and over. This movie is very good if you approach it with the right frame of mind, but because of this necessity, it suffers in the eyes of some.
I took in the 3 story lines as separate, but having [i]something[/i] to do with one another. Which, for me, was the quest for immortality. You can't get hung up on making sense of whether they are the same people (they are) in 3 timelines. You have to kind of just go with the flow and focus on the main point, the quest for material immortality, and ultimately its fruitlessness. [i]That[/i] is where the beauty of this film lies. In it's poignant portrayal of this final conclusion. In my opinion this is Hugh Jackman's best performance
July 21, 2016
Woah, this movie is really amazing, Aronofksy's direction and screenplay are splendid, with beautiful dream sequences and metaphors, along with Hugh Jackman interpretation, that I have to say, is probably one of his best, also the music by Clin Mansell is fantastic, it gave me chills. I think this film will be a cult clasic.
½ July 19, 2016
There are very, VERY few movies that I flat-out couldn't finish. This is one of them.
½ May 19, 2016
3 stories in one. 3 different ages, one love.
May 11, 2016
If there is an underlying theme to Aronofsky's work, it's that of fantastic art not quite finished or fully envisioned. With the exception of Black Swan, each of his films are interesting and at times compelling but suffer a sense of being incomplete. The Fountain is perhaps the best example of this. A combination of themes found in The Matrix, Cloud Atlas, Interstellar, 2001 and a number of other transcendent films, The Fountain is visually fascinating, fairly well acted and in certain moments, quite brilliant. However, the lack of budget certainly shows in Aronofsky's darkened, micro cinematography, which produces some interesting visuals but ultimately shrouds the movie in a rather annoying shadow. The cast and set also feel a bit half-baked as well. Jackman and Weisz are very capable leads but somehow they just don't feel quite at home, probably a reflection of the second string nature of their casting, leading to a movie that wasn't written for them. Ideologically, Aronofsky has stated that the film is a Rubik's cube open to interpretation but as with all films of this scope, there is a fine line between tangled threads and threads woven together to form something great. Sometimes they look the same but at the end of the day, only one is being made into something beautiful. The Fountain feels like the former, a jumble of reused shots, incoherent timelines, Michael Bay like movement sequences and confusing backstory. The result just never comes together like great films like Cloud Atlas and The Matrix do. Instead, Aronofsky's creation just sort of trickles out at the end, a pretty limp, unsure finish for a movie so bold. Ultimately, although I suspect that this lack of clear vision is going to be a significant factor in Aronofsky's long term legacy and short term calling card, one has to wonder what the director might have been able to do with a full budget and his first picks at the helm. Cloud Atlas, a film in a similar grain, was given an unlimited budget practically and the directors were given carte blanche to create and the results are fantastic, even if critics still refuse to acknowledge it. Might Aronofsky have been able to do the same? We will never know. One other note of concern that does manifest itself in The Fountain is Aronofsky's tasteless Spanish timeline. The utilization of Isabella I as a good character was a terrible choice, given the clear historical knowledge of her awful behavior in actually starting the Spanish Inquisition, not fighting it. Why Aronofsky chose that character when he could have easily made his own history is beyond me. Paired with his literally medieval portrayal of Central American indigenous people, this aspect of The Fountain is more than a little cringe-worthy and is clearly something to avoid in a bold film about humanity such as this one. Aronofsky would be wise to note his peer's choices in this matter and should maybe think about taking some direction from better directors like Scott, Nolan, Kubrick and Coppola, whom he clearly admires. Nevertheless, The Fountain is still a pretty compelling film and worth the watch, especially considering the relatively short run time, a really good decision by Aronofsky.
April 30, 2016
This one just didn't come together for me like I had hoped it would. I can see it working for some people, but the connection never came for me.