The Fountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fountain Reviews

July 22, 2016
I loved this film! It's been years since I first saw it and it comes back up in my mind over and over. This movie is very good if you approach it with the right frame of mind, but because of this necessity, it suffers in the eyes of some.
I took in the 3 story lines as separate, but having [i]something[/i] to do with one another. Which, for me, was the quest for immortality. You can't get hung up on making sense of whether they are the same people (they are) in 3 timelines. You have to kind of just go with the flow and focus on the main point, the quest for material immortality, and ultimately its fruitlessness. [i]That[/i] is where the beauty of this film lies. In it's poignant portrayal of this final conclusion. In my opinion this is Hugh Jackman's best performance
July 21, 2016
Woah, this movie is really amazing, Aronofksy's direction and screenplay are splendid, with beautiful dream sequences and metaphors, along with Hugh Jackman interpretation, that I have to say, is probably one of his best, also the music by Clin Mansell is fantastic, it gave me chills. I think this film will be a cult clasic.
½ July 19, 2016
There are very, VERY few movies that I flat-out couldn't finish. This is one of them.
½ May 19, 2016
3 stories in one. 3 different ages, one love.
May 11, 2016
If there is an underlying theme to Aronofsky's work, it's that of fantastic art not quite finished or fully envisioned. With the exception of Black Swan, each of his films are interesting and at times compelling but suffer a sense of being incomplete. The Fountain is perhaps the best example of this. A combination of themes found in The Matrix, Cloud Atlas, Interstellar, 2001 and a number of other transcendent films, The Fountain is visually fascinating, fairly well acted and in certain moments, quite brilliant. However, the lack of budget certainly shows in Aronofsky's darkened, micro cinematography, which produces some interesting visuals but ultimately shrouds the movie in a rather annoying shadow. The cast and set also feel a bit half-baked as well. Jackman and Weisz are very capable leads but somehow they just don't feel quite at home, probably a reflection of the second string nature of their casting, leading to a movie that wasn't written for them. Ideologically, Aronofsky has stated that the film is a Rubik's cube open to interpretation but as with all films of this scope, there is a fine line between tangled threads and threads woven together to form something great. Sometimes they look the same but at the end of the day, only one is being made into something beautiful. The Fountain feels like the former, a jumble of reused shots, incoherent timelines, Michael Bay like movement sequences and confusing backstory. The result just never comes together like great films like Cloud Atlas and The Matrix do. Instead, Aronofsky's creation just sort of trickles out at the end, a pretty limp, unsure finish for a movie so bold. Ultimately, although I suspect that this lack of clear vision is going to be a significant factor in Aronofsky's long term legacy and short term calling card, one has to wonder what the director might have been able to do with a full budget and his first picks at the helm. Cloud Atlas, a film in a similar grain, was given an unlimited budget practically and the directors were given carte blanche to create and the results are fantastic, even if critics still refuse to acknowledge it. Might Aronofsky have been able to do the same? We will never know. One other note of concern that does manifest itself in The Fountain is Aronofsky's tasteless Spanish timeline. The utilization of Isabella I as a good character was a terrible choice, given the clear historical knowledge of her awful behavior in actually starting the Spanish Inquisition, not fighting it. Why Aronofsky chose that character when he could have easily made his own history is beyond me. Paired with his literally medieval portrayal of Central American indigenous people, this aspect of The Fountain is more than a little cringe-worthy and is clearly something to avoid in a bold film about humanity such as this one. Aronofsky would be wise to note his peer's choices in this matter and should maybe think about taking some direction from better directors like Scott, Nolan, Kubrick and Coppola, whom he clearly admires. Nevertheless, The Fountain is still a pretty compelling film and worth the watch, especially considering the relatively short run time, a really good decision by Aronofsky.
April 30, 2016
This one just didn't come together for me like I had hoped it would. I can see it working for some people, but the connection never came for me.
April 18, 2016
Probably the most profound, moving, gorgeous exploration of death, loss, and how a person deals with loss and death.

This movie has three tracks - one is the real world story of a doctor researching the cure to cancer to save his dying wife. There is a story written by his wife of a conquistador - which she has based on Tommy. Finally, there is the dream that Tommy has that weaves reality and the story in his wife's book together.
½ April 4, 2016
I would love to give this movie a negative rating. This is the most pretentious movie I've ever seen. I feel so bad for Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz, they risk their reputation with this movie. I am very sad that this is not the movie it was supposed to be.
April 3, 2016
This movie is about sensation and feelings.
½ March 23, 2016
Such a cool concept for a movie. Loved the idea behind it. Just needed more time in the editing room and a little more time fixing the plot. Acting was great/direction was great. I'm sure Darren Aronofsky would have loved more control and time. Could have been one of the best movies ever made. So much potential.
½ March 19, 2016
made no sense at all and was very hard to make through. Music was remarkable though.
March 4, 2016
Amazing! An experience.
½ February 18, 2016
A story full of mysticism, fantasy, miths and some science but not eniugh to be qualified as a sci fi film.
February 12, 2016
This was a good film with beautiful imagery and a beautiful soundtrack. It had a deep and sad message and it was confusing, but even with the questions it left you with, you got the gist of it and it was more the feeling that you were left with that mattered more than answers.
February 11, 2016
I seriously don't know how to rate this movie. I'm not a religious person, but this movie still impressed me. I'll rate 3 Stars, because it wasn't a waste of time and you should watch it. Don't know how I will look back on this later.
February 10, 2016
Out of all the Darren Aronofsky films that I've seen, The Fountain is one that I have watched before, but I don't remember what it was about, and I don't know if I liked it or not. Knowing that this is the worst reviewed from Aronofsky's filmography so far, I'm curious to see why, even though that it only has mixed reviews. The Fountain is a great film that is deeper then I've imagined it. Hugh Jackman is amazing in it, and Rachel Weisz is not far behind from him. The past scenes are interesting, the present scenes are the most interesting, and the future scenes are very confusing. It's not really as jumbled as people make it out to be, but I'll agree that the film is a bit all over the place. The visuals look beautiful in this that gives a sense of wonder. The writing is really good, and the characters are memorable, except for some of them. I'm not much of a person that knows deeper meaning, so when it goes to the future, I was still interested, but was very confused of what's happening. The Fountain may not be as grand as other films that Darren Aronofsky directed, but there was still a lot of effort put into this that succeed in trying to make it a really good movie in my opinion.
January 29, 2016
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I have read reviews implying it was weak in it's ambition. I couldn't disagree more. The story, the acting, and the soundtrack left me wanting to stand up at the end of the movie and give it the standing ovation it deserved. The pain of death and mankind's never ending quest to find immortality, accompanied by the fear of time and it's origins left me breathless.
January 19, 2016
One of the best existential films ever made!