The Fountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fountain Reviews

½ March 20, 2018
Love and death. Obsession and Salvation. On paper, The Fountain really shouldn't work but somehow Aronofsky, Jackman and not least Mansell managed to grab a hold of that melancholic string inside of me and gave it a hearty tug.
February 1, 2018
Per la prima volta in vita mia ho dovuto riguardare due volte lo stesso film in una sola giornata. Questo strano e metafisico film firmato Aronofsky ha semplicemente dell'incredibile, un'esperienza potente che lascia il segno. E' praticamente impossibile capirlo con una sola visione, e guardarlo almeno due volte č assolutamente indispensabile solo per poterne dare un giudizio oggettivo. Il suo inconfondibile stile visivo e narrativo coinvolge e stupisce anche con la prima confusa visione, con immagini e riprese ipnotiche. La splendida colonna sonora che accompagna la pellicola č di una bellezza indiscutibile, tragica e poetica, fa pensare anche se ascoltata senza le immagini. La storia tratta temi delicati e difficili da raccontare, temi filosofici e religiosi che in pochi si permettono di raccontare. Mi stupisco dei punteggi tiepidi riscontrati in molti siti specializzati, ma sono sicuro che non gli č stato dedicato il tempo necessario per comprenderlo fino in fondo. Per me rimane un grandissimo film, un'esperienza unica che tutti dovrebbero provare almeno una volta nella vita.
½ January 22, 2018
Overly ambitious and though in need of some fine tuning, The Fountain is still epic, engaging and and a unique take on a good idea.
January 18, 2018
I find this movie to be utterly beautiful. It's one of those films that my mind will just occasionally wander to while spacing out. Its imagery and story are very emotionally driven and non-literal so It's not the type of movie everybody can get into. To me though, it's a masterpiece.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Como cuando eres un buen director pero desperdicias una hermosa estética visual en una historia simple, ridícula, y a pesar de todo puede resultar conmovedora.
November 15, 2017
The Fountain contains several Aronofsky's trademarks, but unfortunately it lacks the director's usual talent and its ambition exceeds its grasp.
November 8, 2017
One of the best movies, I've ever watched.
½ November 3, 2017
Visually interesting, a clever if somewhat confusing plot, and some raw emotions. However, it didn't all seem to gel together into a cohesive experience.
½ October 23, 2017
It is silly and downright nonsensical at times, the narrative seems incomplete and unfocused, and as a whole the film doesn't entirely succeed. But, man, I dig this film quite a bit.
½ October 6, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

September 20, 2017
The greatest film ever made.
August 9, 2017
The most beautiful movie ever made. The score is amazing and is arguably the best ever. For a low-budget movie the cinematography is beyond amazing. This movie has mixed reviews. I think the problem with this movie is it must be watched more than once, I personally loved it the first time however determined it was my favorite movie once I watched the second time. This movie is a must watch. Still my all-time favorite movie.
July 22, 2017
This is a great movie where you need no once bit twice or more time to see it, a masterpiece of cinema, a film with a serious scenario, actors, direction and the topic puts you to think. If you don't like to think to connect clues better no see it.
July 7, 2017
Bullshit movie...The worst movie from Hugh Jackman
½ May 30, 2017
The Fountain certainly boasts scenes of visual mastery, but unfortunately does get to be a very confusing picture at times, although it feels like something miraculous is happening on screen even if you don't fully understand it. The two leads (Weiz and Jackman) are great together and show amazing chemistry. As I stated before, this is a great looking film, and some of the best visuals are in the latter part of the film. This might be too confusing for some, but others may love it
May 28, 2017
Terminé de verla con mucho sufrir de aburrimiento. La historia la van enredando y nunca dejan en claro cuál es la trama, ni lo que busca. Las actuaciones son, por decirlo con educación, mediocres, aunque muy acordes al guión tan pobre. Gran parte de la película carece de sonidos o banda sonora. En sí aburre.
May 8, 2017
I had been in a situation where I was watching someone I love die, and I was also researching and fighting to get him a lung transplant... I was finding myself torn. My grandmother and I visited him every day in the hospital, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day minimum- and while I was there, with him, a part of my mind was beating myself up saying "You could be submitting applications to more hospitals... more surgical units in the country, in other countries, you can be researching more procedures, you aren't doing enough"... And when I was out- and spending another 5 to 6 hours filling applications, making copies of medical records, sending to places, getting rejection notifications, reading the reasons, trying to use that in the next wave of applications- all I could think was that this was time I was losing with him, and he would die alone in his room. 4 months of that and he was gone... And a week after he died, the phone rang, I answered. He was approved for the lung transplant and they wanted to move on it immediately. "You're too late, he's dead" click. Years later- I was crashing at a friend's home, and I woke up to the very beginning of this movie. I had never heard of it, I knew nothing about it... and I'm glad because I might have went into it with preconceived notions... I was taken and I was immediately in love with it, I connected with it on so many levels- and I saw it differently than what you put in your video at that point in time. It became one of my top 5 favorite movies- I had no idea how badly it was treated then. And what I found- is as my own mindset changed, depending on the mood I was in. Until recently the dichotomy of "You should have spent more time with him", and "If you had spent more time submitting you would have gotten to this place faster and he would have had a chance" was one that tortured me... and in that mindset- yeah- I saw the film's meaning differently. Later- as I came to terms with things, I saw it more in the lines of what you said... And I find the mood in it will affect how I connect with the film, what it means changes based on where I am mentally and emotionally as I watch it... and I love that. I've seen it so many times, and every time I watch it, it's like I'm seeing it for the first time, with new eyes... with wonder, sometimes more pain than hope- and sometimes more hope than pain. I found out last year actually that not enough people love this movie, that not enough people have seen this movie- and while at most, for most films I may go "Oh- that's a shame", when it comes to this movie (and like, Children of Men), it outright angers me. It's brilliance and near perfection... I'm glad it didn't get made for that budget, because it's timeless and powerful the exact way it was shot. Brad Pitt is a great actor- sure, I don't want to take away from him, but many times I watch a movie he's in, my brain is going "That's Brad Pitt". In this... it wasn't like that with Jackman and Weisz. It didn't matter that I had seen stuff, while the person I lost wasn't a boyfriend or husband, I felt that pain right with him... I knew what was going on through Tommy's head, I was there- I watch that and the actors vanish- and it's so much more... no matter how it's interpreted in a viewing...?
April 29, 2017
A tour de force of baggage, dreams and vulnerability both on and off screen. This is a masterclass in art. Poetry and grace.
½ April 19, 2017
Pretenciosa, pero visualmente deslumbrante.
April 10, 2017
I'm still awaiting a Rachel Weisz flick that I enjoy. This one was too slow, artsy and ultimately boring, even though I did like the concept.