The Happy Prince - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Happy Prince Reviews

April 8, 2019
The Happy Prince is a 2018 biographical drama film about Oscar Wilde, written by, directed by, and starring Rupert Everett.
The period settings and cinematography are absolutely superb, with some of the early scenes being picture-postcard-perfect. While the film does try very hard, and it mostly succeeds, there is probably note nough of a story here to warrant a full-length movie. The film fails to go too deep with some of its characters, and at times appears fragmented and difficult to follow. But still, it is an enjoyable movie, featuring some little gems. One of my favourite sequences involved the narration of Wilde's poem, 'The Ballad of Reading Gaol'.
D & MC
March 29, 2019
Just interesting enough to make it through.
March 7, 2019
Not bad for a debut, but it says little that hasn't already been said, while exaggerating things just a little too much. Good performances all around, but an anyone didn't know the story will be left in the gutter, looking at stars.
½ March 1, 2019
Oscar Wilde is worthy of a better movie than this was.
½ February 26, 2019
The story of Oscar Wilde is fascinating, but the 'Happy Prince' tends to meander and sometimes incoherently. Rupert Everett writes, directs and stars in a film about Wilde's final days. There aren't many redeeming qualities to the man beaten by life.

That isn't to say the movie isn't entertaining, but i'm not sure it isn't in a way it would prefer not to be. If Everett think's this is a tribute, then he's severely misguided. Make no mistake, this project was one of passion for the first-time director and made more for him than anyone else. Final Score: 5.3/10
January 13, 2019
It seems to divide both audience and critics. Wilde is so widely, and personally, loved and admired that anything new about him will always attract intense disappointment from some.

I thought this was the most believable representation of Wilde, Douglas and the other players in this great and terrible tragedy. Characters who are for all their literary power very difficult to make real however committed the performers.

I suspect history will look much more kindly on this film which is very old fashioned, romantic, unpretentious and loveable.
December 28, 2018
An overly-pretentious and narratively muddled mess that has squandered an opportunity to explore the downfall of one of the UK's most respected and notorious writers.
December 15, 2018
Everett directs his debut feature with such a heavy hand, using a lot of expository dialogue and coming up with artificial scenes that make it seem like a lame soap opera. Besides, his Oscar Wilde is almost a caricature, and his intentions get completely lost in their transition to the screen.
November 7, 2018
So good. Well acted, a few problems (mostly steady cam)
November 2, 2018
An oddly charmless performance by Rupert Everett fails to capture Wide's genius albeit we join him at the end of his life. It's not unenjoyable and there are some lovely touches but there's a deal of awkward exposition and the feeling that rather than it being an accurate biographical portrait it' a series of staged tableaux in a theatrical presentation.
Beautifully shot but sadly lacking in heart.
½ October 31, 2018
Well done. Everett was excellent. The scenery and cinematography were beautifully done.
October 30, 2018
Started well but quickly became bogged down by an over written screen play, heavy dark dirty unkept images and the strange use of Tchaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony. In the end the film designed to be a tribute to Oscar Wild (played brilliantly by Actor/writter-Director Rupert Everett actually failed to make me feel sorry for a man who in reality appeared to be nothing more than a unfairly treated narcissist.
October 26, 2018
Amazing movie and Rupert was charming in person in the Q&A
October 26, 2018
I was looking forward to seeing "The Happy Prince" as 1) I am a big fan of Rupert Everett who hasn't been doing much in films for quite awhile and 2) I admire Oscar Wilde's writings and witticisms.
I read that Everett has been trying to get this film made for 10 years and even did it on stage for 2 years. He got Colin Firth, Emily Watson and Tom Wilkinson to star along with him plus gave Colin Morgan and Edwin Thomas major roles and all deal well with the material given them.
The major problem with "The Happy Prince" is the material, the screenplay written by Everett. He, also, directed and stars in the film which seems too much of a burden that he should have shared by either giving the directing or the screenplay to someone else to do.
Instead of concentrating on Wilde's life after his imprisonment Everett brings in too much of his life before and in turn going back and forth in decades to the point of confusion from Wilde's telling his story of "The Happy Prince" to his own two sons to a street boy and his brother and completely making a puzzle of Lord Alfred Douglas also known as Bosie who was responsible for Wilde's being sentenced to hard labor as a sodomite and his downfall. Bosie also causes Wilde the loss of his income and sons. How Robbie Ross became so important to his life and the role he played has to be just accepted by the audience just as Reggie Turner is without explanation.
With make-up, prosthetics and padding plus acting Rupert Everett gives us a well rounded Oscar Wilde in despair, a failure, a man unable to cope with who he was and who he is after being shunned by all who praised him before. With the destruction of a man who was considered a great playwright the screenwriter/director fails to make the audience feel the despair this man went through after being found guilty on charges of gross decency or of being one of many who did not talk about "the love that dare not speaks its name" and were persecuted for it.
Aside from going back and forth in time and countries not to mention debauchery "The Happy Prince" is pretty dark in the filming and photography while understandable with many places lit just by candlelight gets no relief when outdoors.
Possibly my expectations were too high or I was looking for something that wasn't there. I thought I knew a lot about Wilde's life but people such as Robbie Ross and Reggie Turner were strange names to me and I was hoping to learn more about these two men who were so important to Wilde in his downfall.
I found "The Happy Prince" to be a boring film about an incredible man.
½ October 15, 2018
A great historical piece: Ruppert Everett is my hero: wrote , directed, and starred in this film. Some of the scenes were just beautiful to watch.
October 15, 2018
Recounting Oscar Wilde's final piteous days in Paris, Rupert Everett commits fervid reverence and heartaching compassion in this biography as a melancholic eulogy to his literary idol.
October 12, 2018
I know about this film because of Colin Morgan ??? Have watched all his movies using boxxy software
June 21, 2018
Outrageously good - you can't tear your eyes away from the beautiful sets and, the all star-cast behind literature's most fascinating true story.
June 17, 2018
Unbelievably fantastically made movie!!!
I hope Rupert Everett will get all possible awards (Like I hoped for 3 Billboards last year :)
He played, directed and wrote the skript. Took 10 years. But the way its all done! I am in love. His first movie - like first love - raw and real and true and deeply personal. And no fashionable, self-loving "make up" "adv commercial" reality.
Watch on big screen. And last words on black screen will put everything in even bigger prospective.

P.S. You will not recognize him, though he is playing with no prosthetics.
May 21, 2018
The passion behind this film shines, a truly beautiful tribute to Wilde