The Happy Prince - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Happy Prince Reviews

November 7, 2018
So good. Well acted, a few problems (mostly steady cam)
November 2, 2018
An oddly charmless performance by Rupert Everett fails to capture Wide's genius albeit we join him at the end of his life. It's not unenjoyable and there are some lovely touches but there's a deal of awkward exposition and the feeling that rather than it being an accurate biographical portrait it' a series of staged tableaux in a theatrical presentation.
Beautifully shot but sadly lacking in heart.
½ October 31, 2018
Well done. Everett was excellent. The scenery and cinematography were beautifully done.
October 30, 2018
Started well but quickly became bogged down by an over written screen play, heavy dark dirty unkept images and the strange use of Tchaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony. In the end the film designed to be a tribute to Oscar Wild (played brilliantly by Actor/writter-Director Rupert Everett actually failed to make me feel sorry for a man who in reality appeared to be nothing more than a unfairly treated narcissist.
October 26, 2018
Amazing movie and Rupert was charming in person in the Q&A
October 26, 2018
I was looking forward to seeing "The Happy Prince" as 1) I am a big fan of Rupert Everett who hasn't been doing much in films for quite awhile and 2) I admire Oscar Wilde's writings and witticisms.
I read that Everett has been trying to get this film made for 10 years and even did it on stage for 2 years. He got Colin Firth, Emily Watson and Tom Wilkinson to star along with him plus gave Colin Morgan and Edwin Thomas major roles and all deal well with the material given them.
The major problem with "The Happy Prince" is the material, the screenplay written by Everett. He, also, directed and stars in the film which seems too much of a burden that he should have shared by either giving the directing or the screenplay to someone else to do.
Instead of concentrating on Wilde's life after his imprisonment Everett brings in too much of his life before and in turn going back and forth in decades to the point of confusion from Wilde's telling his story of "The Happy Prince" to his own two sons to a street boy and his brother and completely making a puzzle of Lord Alfred Douglas also known as Bosie who was responsible for Wilde's being sentenced to hard labor as a sodomite and his downfall. Bosie also causes Wilde the loss of his income and sons. How Robbie Ross became so important to his life and the role he played has to be just accepted by the audience just as Reggie Turner is without explanation.
With make-up, prosthetics and padding plus acting Rupert Everett gives us a well rounded Oscar Wilde in despair, a failure, a man unable to cope with who he was and who he is after being shunned by all who praised him before. With the destruction of a man who was considered a great playwright the screenwriter/director fails to make the audience feel the despair this man went through after being found guilty on charges of gross decency or of being one of many who did not talk about "the love that dare not speaks its name" and were persecuted for it.
Aside from going back and forth in time and countries not to mention debauchery "The Happy Prince" is pretty dark in the filming and photography while understandable with many places lit just by candlelight gets no relief when outdoors.
Possibly my expectations were too high or I was looking for something that wasn't there. I thought I knew a lot about Wilde's life but people such as Robbie Ross and Reggie Turner were strange names to me and I was hoping to learn more about these two men who were so important to Wilde in his downfall.
I found "The Happy Prince" to be a boring film about an incredible man.
October 21, 2018
Everett directs his debut feature with such a heavy hand, using a lot of expository dialogue and coming up with artificial scenes that make it seem like a lame soap opera. Besides, his Oscar Wilde is almost a caricature and his intentions get completely lost in their transition to the screen.
½ October 15, 2018
A great historical piece: Ruppert Everett is my hero: wrote , directed, and starred in this film. Some of the scenes were just beautiful to watch.
October 15, 2018
Recounting Oscar Wilde's final piteous days in Paris, Rupert Everett commits fervid reverence and heartaching compassion in this biography as a melancholic eulogy to his literary idol.
October 12, 2018
I know about this film because of Colin Morgan ??? Have watched all his movies using boxxy software
June 21, 2018
Outrageously good - you can't tear your eyes away from the beautiful sets and, the all star-cast behind literature's most fascinating true story.
June 17, 2018
Unbelievably fantastically made movie!!!
I hope Rupert Everett will get all possible awards (Like I hoped for 3 Billboards last year :)
He played, directed and wrote the skript. Took 10 years. But the way its all done! I am in love. His first movie - like first love - raw and real and true and deeply personal. And no fashionable, self-loving "make up" "adv commercial" reality.
Watch on big screen. And last words on black screen will put everything in even bigger prospective.

P.S. You will not recognize him, though he is playing with no prosthetics.
May 21, 2018
The passion behind this film shines, a truly beautiful tribute to Wilde
½ March 30, 2018
Most films about Oscar Wilde stop short of his exile to Paris and Naples post-incarceration as it is a tragic final chapter for someone who is nowadays so celebrated, if not worshipped even, as a literary genius. Cursed for being born ahead of his times, English society was unable to tolerate his sexuality and imprudent lifestyle choices and he was shunned and lived out his last years in squalid ignominy. Rupert Everett's new film thus explores this less charted territory and it is a moving and less dirge-like experience than you'd expect. Everett's Wilde may feel like a caricature at times and reminds me a lot of Stephen Fry's Wilde back in the 90s but he pours his heart out in his portrayal and he is well supported by Colin Firth and Edwin Thomas as the last of his remaining friends and Colin Morgan as Lord Bosie Douglas, the love of Wilde's life and the root of much of his misery. More impressive however, is the meticulous work done by Everett, the writer-director, who manages to collage together various episodes of his life during this period, but eschewing a conventional chronological presentation, and taking more than a few notes from Visconti's Death in Venice, weaves them together in a fluid, dream-like manner to encapsulate in a coherent film that serves both as a paean and a requiem for a man who is an exceptionally gifted writer, a reckless bohemian, a romantic fool as well as a revered gay icon all rolled into one.