The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
Good film, equal to the fist installment in story and quality.
October 11, 2016
To me, "Catching Fire" is better than the first movie as this one concentrates more on the characters around Katniss, and the politics of Panem.
½ October 10, 2016
Much better than the first one!
October 10, 2016
The Hunger Games Catching Fire is the best hollywood sequel I have ever seen. In the continuation of the Hunger Games franchise, Catching Fire shockingly outdoes the beloved Hunger Games in almost every way, with amplified suspense, story telling and effects, there is no wonder why this movie made it big in the box office. Jennifer Lawrence, I might add, made an incredible performance along with the rest of the cast. Catching Fire is no doubt, one of the best movies of 2013.
½ October 8, 2016
The Hunger Games, the franchise on fire! After a hot reception from audiences in 2012, Lionsgate brings us back to the world of Panem and The Hunger Games with a sequel that goes right up there with The Empire Strikes Back and other sequels that are much better than their originals. The first games was the standard games up until the love story came into play. Now, they raise the stakes by having the climax of the first one send ripples of revolution through the nation. We open with Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) hunting like she used to, and Gale (Liam Hemsworth) shows up like last time, being all cool and casual. He encourages her to shoot a turkey instead of discouraging her from shooting a deer like in the first movie, only this time, shooting an arrow causes a flashback to the games, and after a panic attack Gale pulls her back to the present. I must praise the way Jennifer Lawrence portrayed PTSD in this movie (Like Robert Downey Jr. did in Iron Man 3 earlier in 2013), because she gets it right without mocking the millions of real-life vets with real PTSD. After Gale goes to his new job in the mines, Katniss gets an unexpected visit from President Snow (Donald Sutherland), who's very unhappy with Katniss, and challenges her to convince him of her and Peeta's (Josh Hutcherson) love. After waking up Haymitch (Woody Harrelson) for the start of the victory tour, they're reunited with Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks), Cinna (Lenny Kravitz), and the rest of their prep team the book fleshed out and gave personality to (though at the party at the President's mansion, Effie clearly name checks Flavius and Octavia from the prep team, go back and you'll hear their names). After Caesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci) introduces them on the Capitol feed, the tour begins, where Peeta tries to get to know Katniss better, fires of rebellion are kept contained (only so much), and ultimately, Katniss fails to convince Snow of her love for Peeta, initiating a chain of events that lead her and Peeta into a new arena with new (but familiar to Panem) tributes and new challenges. The new characters are developed as well as they're needed to be in the context, but the spotlight still belongs to the star-crossed lovers. The plot is coherent, but the movie is (again) a long one, full of detail, but it could have had a few things gutted to make it shorter. I didn't lose interest, but if it takes 80+ minutes to get to the titular event (The Hunger Games themselves), then you may be wasting time. Some events with whole book chapters got cut to glances and mentions, but otherwise, it was coherent. The visual was great as ever, and with a clearly larger budget and higher expectations, they delivered. The best part is Francis Lawrence kept a steady hand except for action, which was still easier to see than Gary Ross' "shake like there's no tomorrow" style. It may or may not have to do with the fact that instead of children, the tributes in the games are fully-grown adults, and the fact the MPAA has some level of standards for on-screen violence and its depiction, but I digress. James Newton Howard delivers the score worthy of the increasing drama in this installment, and there's a lot more comic relief to be found here, as well as swearing (as in, some of the seven you can't say on TV). The girl on fire's story truly ignites here, and we get a sense of heightened tension. Remember who the real victor is here: you, me, and anyone else who enjoys this improved sequel.
This is my second review of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. To remind you how awesome this film is, the characters we met in the first movie are still relatable, despite their upbringing and situation: Katniss embodies the rebel-against-tyranny in us all, and Peetah is the guy-trying-to-escape-the-friend-zone in men and teenage boys alike. After the first film, we now have a reason to care about them, and for those tuning in for the first time, the struggles and relatability of these characters will have you caring about them, especially when you see Peetah trying to tighten his relationship with Katniss. Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence have great chemistry (and appropriate awkwardness). Shoutout also to Woody Harrelson's perfectly-disturbed Haymitch, and all the rest of the well-done acting all-around. Despite the rush of the first film to get to the actual games, the downhill turn this one takes is taking a little too long to get there, and therefore less action from our main heroes. While the plot is slightly similar to the first film, it is different enough to be exciting for both readers and viewers alike. The picture is better in this one than the last one, thanks to a higher budget, more production time, and a stable camera. That's right folks, the change in directing benefits us as viewers, because Francis Lawrence doesn't feel the need to jerk the camera where we don't, but understand in the last one, Gary Ross had to censor child v. child violence that is non-existant here. But enough about the first film, except for the recycling of some tunes in the soundtrack. Otherwise, James Newton Howard does a great job with the soundtrack, whether it's the powerful Capitol anthem, the sinister tune to build suspense used especially in the arena, or the lack therof to avoid distracting from what's happening. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is a stronger installment in the series than the first one, despite the slower pace to the actual games. It's full of wit, humor, drama, romance, and of course, build-up to Mockingjay Part 1, which will only build to Part 2, or at least go in new directions. Mayby the studio greed is the real enemy, but the true ally is this glorious film. May the odds be ever in your favor to see this film!
They say the sequel is never as good as the original. Normally, I'd say something vulgar, but this is a family oriented review. The characters like Katniss, Peeta, Gale├├,┬ó├,├,┬Ž Haymich, President Snow, etc, that you've come to know since the first book's release, return in style, as newcomers like Finnick Odere, Joanna Mason, etc, enter the arena, I mean series in style. Jennifer Lawrence may not be a method actor like Daniel Day Lewis, but she is nearly a real-life Katniss. Woody Harrelson's Haymitch is funnier than ever. The plot of the book this is based on is generally kept intact, despite a few alterations I can't reveal (unless you like spoilers, but let's keep it spoiler free until it enters the public spoiler domain). Suzzane Collins does not help adapt this one, but Michael Arndt does a nice job. Let's just remember that somethings told by characters can be shown, and the POV is third person ominiscent in the movie, not first person Kaniss. The picture is much better than the first one, mostly since there's no frequent and unnecessary jerking the camera around for no good reason. It's an improvement because, while the first one had to censor the child-on-child violence, it was jerked in close ups. These are adults fighting adults (well 22 fully grown adults, because Peeta and Katniss are still 17 at this point, but still├├,┬ó├,├,┬Ž) James Newton Howard, while recycling some of the original tracks of the first movie, adds new tunes to this one, and manages to keep it exciting. Before I go, I just need to say: Lionsgate, if you're splitting Mockinjay into two parts, you'd better be accurate of events. May the odds be ever in your favor. Stay alive until next year.
½ October 8, 2016
An excellent story and creative action and survival. This story is getting more interesting as it progresses. Excited to see how everything develops.
October 7, 2016
Better them the first
October 5, 2016
Extremely entertaining, tense, and much better directed. Catching Fire was somehow a better movie than the 1st film by the way it expands the universe.
September 30, 2016
"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire", is a more then solid sequel to 2012's "The Hunger Games". "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" begins as Katniss Everdeen has returned home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a "Victor's Tour" of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games, The Quarter Quell, a competition that could change Panem forever. The Quarter Quell for the seventy fifth games are that the tributes will be reaped from the existing victors. Katniss must make choices that will put herself and her family in danger of being killed. She and her fellow tribute Peeta must train once again for another games, but this time they must make allies as everyone who they are fighting against know one another, Katniss and Peeta are the outsiders. The Directing in this film is very well done and very smooth. "Francis Lawrence" boosted the game from the previous film in the franchise, which was directed by "Gary Ross". The difference between the two directors is that "Francis Lawrence" is a visionary which clearly stands out in the film. "Jennifer Lawrence" once again did a fantastic job as Katniss Everdeen but unfortunately "Josh Hutcherson" didn't quiet reach the heights of the last film as Peeta Mellark and its hard to say but "Josh Hutcherson" kind of sucks in this film. "Sam Claflin" did a fantastic job playing Finnick Odair as well as "Jena Malon" Playing another secondary character Johanna Mason. Although "Jena Malons" Johanna Mason was easily a scene stealer. Which bring me to the characters, the secondary characters in "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" are sensational and they have some enormous character development throughout the movie, as well as Katniss and Peeta. The Cinematography in this film couldn't get better, which is another improvement over the first movie as there is no shaky cam. "James Newton Howards" composition of the Score was amazing with the standouts being, "The Tour", "A Quarter Quell", "Lets Start" and "Arena Crumbles." There are 29 songs in the score. Lastly The Special Effects in this film are very good in some parts but noticeable in other parts. Overall "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" improved enormously over its predecessor with better acting by "Jennifer Lawrence", smooth directing by "Francis Lawrence", great characters and good special effects. I give 2013's "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" a 10/10.
September 27, 2016
Definition of surprised me the most. Was not a fan at all of the first movie. But this one took a change for the better as Katniss returns to the arena for another Hunger Games
½ September 18, 2016
An absolutely fantastic follow up to The Hunger Games. Catching Fire was incredible. It was full of action and the story developed well. Jennifer Lawrence is a brilliant actress.
½ September 8, 2016
Even better than the first one. If you haven't seen this collection of films, please don't hesitate.
September 4, 2016
This felt like a remake of the first film, but without the originality. Good as a stand-alone film, but not sure why it was necessary.
½ September 1, 2016
The best hunger games out of all of them.
½ August 15, 2016
Unfortunately, my attention was not caught.
August 13, 2016
Not a fan. Went on date night, what are you gonna do?
½ August 5, 2016
Wow. 4 1/2 stars all the way!
½ August 5, 2016
Not a Huge fan of the first but this one was great. Good movie and REALLY looking forward to the next
July 23, 2016
five star amazing ­~!!!
July 19, 2016
Amazing!! I want to see it again and again! It was one of the best movies ever watched! I'm not joking. You need to watch it. It has a good combination of action,romance,and thrill!!