The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Reviews

½ April 14, 2017
This is by far the best movie of the franchise, with great action, set pieces and an excitingly fresh look compared to its predecessor. It is also extremely faithful to the books, so fans should find exactly what they're looking for in this film.
½ April 1, 2017
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, is even more emotionally driven and more captivating than the original! Not only that, but the directing is SO much better, this is a gorgeous film.
March 28, 2017
Catching Fire, is the best in the Hunger Games trilogy and this movie proves it is true! (Opinion)
March 22, 2017
I liked this one, again, good job turning it from a book into a movie.
½ March 17, 2017
Much better than the first movie. Spends more time on the characters and does a better job depicting the arena and its peculiarities. The CGI is much better. The only flaw was that it did not do as great of a job as it could have explaining the underlying mystery that was handled greatly in the book.
½ March 15, 2017
As expected, a direct continuation of the first episode, which sees a rebellion against Peeta and Katniss due to their act of love in the latest hunger games. As a result, a special anniversary games is to take place which sees previous victors from other battles take their place for a champion of champions fight to the death, along with our recent heroes again being forced to take part. Many side with the newly crowned champions, creating much hostility in the districts, especially when it is announced that Katniss is pregnant. For me, there is more action than the original given the scene has technically already been set, so we are now allowed to focus more on the actual games. This makes the entertainment equally enjoyable due to its combination of deeper character content, and battles from inside the arena. Unfortunately, there's still very little focus on some of the other district tributes and there's no real stand out enemy in the arena this time. This is more a case of who can outwit the overarching royalty that are controlling the games themselves, and who can avoid the several traps that lie in wait inside the combat zone, including poisonous fog, electric force fields and killer monkeys. I feel surprised to be echoing a similar negativity surrounding the elimination process of the hunger games, but why have 12 district representatives if you're not going to provide background to the majority of them before they die - It makes it obvious who's going to fall, and gives an overwhelming sense of predictability about the tournaments victors. This was actually a little disappointing, but again I suppose this is me being highly critical by voicing what is a relatively minor point, that ultimately won't stop me watching the other instalments. Hopefully this is just another connecting episode that interlinks what is so far a memorable action series overall. You can't fault the acting or the effects, there's just a sense of taking short cuts within the games concept itself, that leaves one feeling short changed on trying to maximise potential entertainment value.
½ March 14, 2017
The story is set and the training for The Hunger Games has begun. The second part is definitely better than the first one.
½ February 28, 2017
Francis Lawrence works well here with a fairly slim source (like the book it struggles to shake the deja vu feeling of just being more of the same). When we're away from the central paper thin plot there is some great character development of Katniss and it leaves you ready for the 3rd (and the other one) instalment. Not sure I'll remember it as a standalone film though.
February 20, 2017
Incredible. My favorite movie of the series.
February 18, 2017
Not quite the magic the first one had.
½ February 7, 2017
Since the disappointment of the first film (shaky cam, lack of character development i.e. Rue) I'd been hoping that the second film would be better and I wasn't disappointed. No shaky cam, emotional impact, and a touch of humour. Made all the difference for me. Even so, it still helps to have read the book first.
February 1, 2017
Filme digno de Oscar.
½ January 21, 2017
Not as good as the book.
January 4, 2017
This Movie is amazing! I love the hunger games franchise but this is my favourite movie out of all of them!!
½ January 2, 2017
A great follow up to a good start!
December 31, 2016
Was a good movie. Was missing bits from the book. Not sure if it was as good as the book. Can't wait til Mockingjay.
½ December 31, 2016
It takes a while to get to the actual 75th Annual Hunger Games/third Quarter Quell, somewhere near 81 minutes to be exact. However, Jennifer Lawrence's outstanding performance in the role of Katniss Everdeen once again, thrilling action sequences and political themes as well as the provocation of thought from its source material help make these Games a thoroughly entertaining watch.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 29, 2016
Good sequel that is just as good as the prequel.
December 21, 2016
I may be the only one who wasn't really wild about this one. Just a lot of build up, about 45 minutes worth! To the games, and that sort of fizzles out. A real dissapointment, for sure.