The Iron Mistress Reviews

• Mar 16, 2018

The Iron Mistress is a disappointing film. It is about the adventures of the legendary Jim Bowie. Alan Ladd and Virginia Mayo give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Gordon Douglas did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.

• Aug 31, 2014

Pretty dull Alan Ladd western telling the tale of Jim Bowie's younger years and when he invited his famous knife. I'm not too familiar with Bowie other than him inventing the Bowie Knife and fighting at the Alamo, but according to the internet, this film, like most westerns of the day, is barely historically accurate. Still, I do like Ladd and the underrated Virginia Mayo plays his love interest.

• Mar 16, 2013

Unexceptional and unexciting.

Unexceptional and unexciting.

• Nov 30, 2012

interesting bio-pic about jim bowie

interesting bio-pic about jim bowie

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jun 12, 2010

Colorful hokum that has only a nodding acquaintance with the true history of Jim Bowie. But the production values are high, the film entertaining even if it is mostly fiction and Virginia Mayo beautiful.

• Sep 20, 2008

The early life of Jim Bowie (as dramatised by the fantasists in Hollywood) is a rip-roaring tale full of class struggles, backstabbing and treachery. Shot in glorious technicolor - this is one of Alan Ladd's finest hours.