The Other Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Other Woman Reviews

June 18, 2017
É difícil dizer o que deu errado, mas deu muito errado. Don Roos Não sabe o que quer, terminou o filme sem saber, por isso seu filme nos leva ao um deserto, inepto de experiências coerentes. Ele quis e tudo e não fez nada.
February 14, 2017
A guilt for losing the own baby and being labelled as a bad step-mother.

It is also known as 'Love and Other Impossible Pursuits', which is the name of the book the film was adapted. According to me this is a very underrated film. Especially Natalie Portman was never seen before. This film was beautiful because of her. Might have been the same if any other actress who had played that role, but the thing is the character Emilia makes this story great. I would have given any top award the available around the globe for that incredible character display. It should have been recognised, sadly that did not happen because of the filthy film critics.

Feels good watching it. This might not be a biographical film, but surely this is happening around us. The writing was so impressive. How the character Emilia was portrayed is the film's highlight. It was a simple character, that does not mean the life has to be simple as well. She falls in love with a married man and later she get married to him to become a step-mother to his child. That's where the problem arises when her baby dies in her arm, everybody points her for not being cautious with her step-son. This is a big task and how she comes out of it was revealed with lots of small twists and turns in the tale.

Not just Natalie, but all the supporting cast was brilliant, including the husband, the kid and the ex. The story of loss, marriage, taking care a child and other struggles in life. Initially it did not look good with those affairs, but when it got past the half way mark, the rest of the film rebalanced the entire film. I liked how it ended. That final scene was very good. Even if you are an atheist, that end dialogues makes the major difference to favour the film. I haven't read the book, but seems the film was better than the book. Being a film fanatic and failing to recommending it to you would be a mistake. So I recommend it to particularly the grown-ups.

8/10
January 10, 2017
QUIERO VERLA HOY! HOY! HOY!
December 9, 2016
Portman never really steals the show like she should. Just doesn't appear to be in her comfort zone in "The Other Woman". While there are moments of emotional attachment, it's overshadowed by cluttered storylines.
½ December 4, 2016
It's a touching story of loss and grief and building new relationships. Nothing is simple or easy. You have to admire Emilia's strength, understanding, compassion and perseverance. William is not an easy kid to love but she's patient and forgiving.
September 4, 2016
Honest movies are always difficult, affairs happen
July 6, 2016
Long, slow, and terribly depressing.
May 6, 2016
The kind of movies I hate the worse...just a little more effort in the screenplay and editing and it could have gone from a c- to B+. Good Idea, good acting and poor screenplay and editing.
½ February 29, 2016
Just dont. Life is too short. This movie makes it even shorter.
½ January 30, 2016
God awful miserable film! I don't know why you would even make a film like this let alone why I wasted a couple of hours of precious time seeing it through until the depressing end.
½ August 5, 2015
The movie is interesting, well acted and realistic. That makes it a better-than-average movie.
July 18, 2015
A movie with an unexpected ending.... good for the soul
April 11, 2015
What a waste of talent.
March 21, 2015
Disjointed in places. But incredibly real. I don't understand what all these critics are saying! The first real positive impact Netflix has had on my life :)))
March 20, 2015
Nothing really stands out as exceptional. A young, attractive woman (Portman) is basically a mistress of a successful man, then becomes his wife. They have a baby but it dies. The rest of the movie is, kinda, her dealing with this loss and also his bitch of an ex. But as I say, nothing really moved me beyond anything I'd seen before. Kudrow is a role as the smart yet bitchy ex, and there is something to her at the end of the movie...that's borderline pretty good, but overall, it's pretty average.
January 28, 2015
A very so so film that struggles from a poor lack of direction and a very weak premise.
The story is of a law graduate who after an affair marries a fellow colleague. We learn of how she conceived a child and how the child died at 8 days.
The story follows Portmans struggle of balancing her stepson and dealing with the loss of her own.
To make matters worse there is the vicious ex wife played well by Kudrow who is a complete bitch.

Throughout the movie you see the emotions but you don't feel them due to the weak direction of the story.

Not much excitement, poor dialogue, and quick scenes make this a movie in Portmans catalog that I wouldn't recommend.
January 25, 2015
This film first sparked my interest simply because I admire Natalie Portman so much. She proves her acting abilities in this light-hearted drama that deals with some depressing themes. Emilia (Portman) is a woman who struggles to have a relationship with her eight year old 'know-it-all' stepson, William. While at the same time tries to come to terms with the recent death of her baby who died of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) just four days after being born. It shows the complicated relationship she has with her husband and her husbands ex-wife (Lisa Kudrow) over taking adequate care of the boy. We watch as Emilia tries to bond with the kid who constantly pushes her buttons, making antagonizing remarks about the baby. overall, I found the characters engaging and the storyline paced well and written delicately. It kept me interested and seemed that it was portraying how life just happens sometimes. If you're interested in an emotional movie that has a few light moments dealing with personal family turmoil, I suggest giving this film a try.
November 10, 2014
It would have been easy to make a melodrama with this subject and the sort of unexpected revelation that comes up in the third act, but Roos avoids that and delivers this emotionally complex film devoid of villains and lifted by two excellent performances by Natalie Portman and Lisa Kudrow.
November 8, 2014
Natalie Portman is good. The film not so much. no ultimate highlight and nothing really gets solved. blah.
November 7, 2014