The Place Beyond The Pines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

October 21, 2017
A really interesting take of story telling that at point had me annoyed but after it set in, I grew into it and actually found certain things had more depth and meaning later on because I had experienced those things with certain characters earlier on in the movie where as in a more conventional film where something happens to someone but because you haven't been through what they have been through in the movie, you don't really care where as in this film I think does a good job of making you care. I'm trying to keep it spoiler free while explaining the film in a good light which does make it sound abit wafflely lol but that kinda sums up this film in some ways. It is abit waffely and hit and miss at times but for the most part, I really enjoyed this unique take of story telling in films.
½ October 20, 2017
2013 FILM: "THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES"
Director: Derek Cianfrance
Lead Actors: Ryan Gosling/Bradley Cooper
AUDACIOUSLY CAPTIVATING!
BRILLIANTLY FEROCIOUS!
UNIQUELY UNPREDICTABLE!
The film "The Place Beyond The Pines" is attractively unconventional and uniquely bold surprisingly setting a new bar for all future films and filmmakers within the crime/drama genre. The film positively elevates and benefits most from its superior acting, dialogue, suspense and it's unpredictability drawing a more mature audience than anticipated in all the right ways!
This uniquely obscure 3-part crime epic consistently displays the importance of mature suspense and meaningful direction rather the overwhelming special effects that are bound to be in the typical action Film. Continually taking you by surprise are lead actors Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper who once again prove that they're the generationally new DiCaprio and Pitt and more importantly now more than ever part of the Hollywood elite.
½ October 15, 2017
2013 FILM:"THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES"
Director: Derek Cianfrance
Lead Actors: Ryan Gosling/Bradley Cooper
Eve Mendes/Ray Liota
UNIQUELY BRILLIANT!
AUDACIOUSLY CAPTIVATING!
PREEMINENTLY UNPREDICTABLE!
The 2013 crime epic "The Place Beyond The Pines" is an impeccably confident and powerfully mature crime thriller that's emotionally piercing and intelligently dramatic setting the new bar for all future films within the crime thriller genre.
October 2, 2017
Beautiful cinematography and a very good story line. The way that Cianfrance connected the characters was truly perfect in my mind. The plot was very interesting and having no knowledge of what this film was about the twists and turns had me on edge the the whole time. Probably my favorite thing abut this film is Ryan Gosling's performance. He executed the "idgaf" attitude perfect while on the contrary He was able to display a caring side as well which is hard to do as an actor. I also should say that the cinematography was among the best that i have seen. in my mind all movies should aspire to be of this caliber film work.
½ October 2, 2017
Truly great filmmaking
September 23, 2017
Absolutey abysmal from the opening scene. Hard to think of many worse movies with this high a RT rating. Did you pay people to rate this higher?
September 6, 2017
"Pines" is a tough movie to chew on but it has a surreal rewards for the loyal watchers all throughout the movie
½ September 1, 2017
A Great cast and a great atmosphere doesn't always add up to a good film. Again, it all depends on the script and the direction. Yes, "The Place Beyond the Pines" is ambitious thanks to its three stories, but when each story gets worse after the other, then we have a problem. Plus some of the shots made by the camera man appear out of focus and dull. And don't get me started on the third act, which is the most annoying. Seriously, both Ryan Gosling's and Bradley Cooper's kids grew up to be drug addicts? And what are the chances that they will meet up too? The only redeem qualities from this film is the acting and the first act with Ryan Gosling, which is the most interesting story than the others.
½ August 16, 2017
With a story that transcends three different generations into one and powerful performances all around, The Place Beyond the Pines offers effective and realistic drama while also maintaining a sense of silence throughout.
August 6, 2017
An interesting take on storytelling. It's all well done, but the first half is so much better than the second. Not the fan of the ending either, but I can appreciate the story as a whole. Ryan Gosling, Eva Mendes and Ben Mendelsohn do a really good job here.
July 28, 2017
Fantastic film. Many long, captivating shots. Ryan Gosling is great in it. So is Dane Dehaan, a younger actor with much promise. This movie takes you on a journey.
July 11, 2017
I don't throw around 5 stars like it is nothing, but this movie deserves it. I was engaged from beginning to end. Fantastic film everyone should see.
July 10, 2017
Great movie! Amazing acting!
June 25, 2017
Felt like the end was lacking something
June 24, 2017
This movie is sad and has no plot or point. It has the film production quality of an after school special.
½ June 18, 2017
Three very distinct acts, each with their strengths and weaknesses, but together make quite a picture. Responsibility, blame, catharsis.
½ May 31, 2017
I loved this movie I thought it was over at the 50 minute mark and was wondering where it was going to go after the biggest action sequence was over. Great cast and a good story. I liked the pacing though some people may find it slow.
½ May 30, 2017
warning!!!

For those of you who may not know, this movie is basically an interconnected trilogy film, which may have made this a less likable film for me, because I ended up really disliking this movie. Now, SPOILERS: If you want to see a Ryan Gosling movie, this is more of a Bradley Cooper movie. It seems to take on genre norms, but fails because they are three short films, and none of them connect with character, story, or anything interesting or new. It seems wrought with clichés, and had very female characters. You know it's a bad movie when the previous movie I saw was "The Call" and liked it a whole lot more than this movie. So, go see "The Call", which had a strong female character, and the majority of the major characters are minorities, and it twists the ideas of basic mainstream Hollywood concepts, where they put a black woman in the main character set and she saves a white girl, pitting herself against a white antagonist. This movie has neither In this movie, the women are weak. The only minorities have small scenes, and no one in the movie is interesting and nor did I care about them.
May 29, 2017
Ballsy movie with a twist so missing in run of the mill safe movies. If you like to be challenged this is for you.
½ May 28, 2017
Great movie for the first two acts. Third act is just meh