The Place Beyond The Pines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

½ June 18, 2017
Three very distinct acts, each with their strengths and weaknesses, but together make quite a picture. Responsibility, blame, catharsis.
June 16, 2017
Beautiful cinematography and a very good story line. The way that Cianfrance connected the characters was truly perfect in my mind. The plot was very interesting and having no knowledge of what this film was about the twists and turns had me on edge the the whole time. Probably my favorite thing abut this film is Ryan Gosling's performance. He executed the "idgaf" attitude perfect while on the contrary He was able to display a caring side as well which is hard to do as an actor. I also should say that the cinematography was among the best that i have seen. in my mind all movies should aspire to be of this caliber film work.
½ May 31, 2017
I loved this movie I thought it was over at the 50 minute mark and was wondering where it was going to go after the biggest action sequence was over. Great cast and a good story. I liked the pacing though some people may find it slow.
½ May 30, 2017
warning!!!

For those of you who may not know, this movie is basically an interconnected trilogy film, which may have made this a less likable film for me, because I ended up really disliking this movie. Now, SPOILERS: If you want to see a Ryan Gosling movie, this is more of a Bradley Cooper movie. It seems to take on genre norms, but fails because they are three short films, and none of them connect with character, story, or anything interesting or new. It seems wrought with clichés, and had very female characters. You know it's a bad movie when the previous movie I saw was "The Call" and liked it a whole lot more than this movie. So, go see "The Call", which had a strong female character, and the majority of the major characters are minorities, and it twists the ideas of basic mainstream Hollywood concepts, where they put a black woman in the main character set and she saves a white girl, pitting herself against a white antagonist. This movie has neither In this movie, the women are weak. The only minorities have small scenes, and no one in the movie is interesting and nor did I care about them.
May 29, 2017
Ballsy movie with a twist so missing in run of the mill safe movies. If you like to be challenged this is for you.
½ May 28, 2017
Great movie for the first two acts. Third act is just meh
May 21, 2017
This film took some major risks with its changes in narrative points of view over its three acts. Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper continue to display their acting abilities with their emotional performances. Eva Mendes and Ben Mendelsohn also contribute characters that fit perfectly in the world of the story. However, the third act is a bit weak compared to how high the bar was set in the first and second acts.
May 20, 2017
An intense interconnected drama which completely brings you into their complex worlds with extremely well developed characters and actors with more than enough talent to portray them. While the third act may not totally compliment the first two well written acts, it is more than enough to conclude this constantly heartbreaking story or stories.
½ May 18, 2017
Too many movies in one.
May 14, 2017
Theme is fathers and sons. Started like it was going to be a classic. Gosling and Mendes sizzled and sadly at the halfway point when Gosling's charisma was prematurely expunged from the film, things went downhill rapidly. Eurgh had such great potential early on and then we're left with severe anti-climax.
May 13, 2017
While the final act may not be as interesting as the first two, the film still manages to give suspenseful crime scenes, a great cast, and a real portrayal of the sins of our fathers.
May 8, 2017
This movie is great. This is one every one should check out because it has something for everybody. The cast is phenomenal. Probably Ryan Gosling's and Bradley Cooper's best performances. The movie is beautiful and shot masterfully. My only criticism is that it is a little too long.
½ May 6, 2017
Gradually lost interest as the film went on, just too many contrivences lead to a neatly tidied ending.
April 26, 2017
The condition of a people cannot be change until they change what is in themselves. I believe that.

The Place Beyond The Pines tells the story of stunt rider turns bank robber, trying to provide for his lover and newborn son. This action leads to a devastating consequences in the years to come.

A lot of horrible and terrifying moments happened that will keep us as the audience at the edge of our seat. Yet, we could still see the beauty behind every tragedy and a sense of hope.
This is a great film and very underrated.
March 16, 2017
I am just waiting for 2020 so I can call this movie the best of the decade.
March 12, 2017
This movie is swept away by Gosling's performance!
½ March 12, 2017
A movie about legacy, the sins of the fathers, the restless in our souls. It's powerful, it's bold, it hits you hard. A perfect contrast between motivations and consequences. It's the interesting characters and their thought-provoking choices that makes this movie so compelling and so intense. This film could become one of the best movies of the year ...
½ February 27, 2017
An overall impressive performance. A well written story-line that keeps the viewer captivated as he follows an unexpected journey. The movie is deeply human in the sense that it covers the themes of life, death and forgiveness. Of course this is portrayed accurately by great actors who all play profound and complex characters that we are able to relate to. We are left satisfied and reflecting on our own lives.Thank you to all the team that made this beautiful picture.
February 26, 2017
Art house piece of junk.
½ February 22, 2017
Two movies in one - with a third act all-too convenient to believe. A good-looking film with top-notch performances that is ultimately undermined by the writing.