The Place Beyond The Pines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

½ February 27, 2017
An overall impressive performance. A well written story-line that keeps the viewer captivated as he follows an unexpected journey. The movie is deeply human in the sense that it covers the themes of life, death and forgiveness. Of course this is portrayed accurately by great actors who all play profound and complex characters that we are able to relate to. We are left satisfied and reflecting on our own lives.Thank you to all the team that made this beautiful picture.
February 26, 2017
Art house piece of junk.
½ February 22, 2017
Two movies in one - with a third act all-too convenient to believe. A good-looking film with top-notch performances that is ultimately undermined by the writing.
½ February 1, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
½ January 28, 2017
Has a real epic feel. Very good storytelling
½ January 27, 2017
After the success of Blue Valentine. Cianfrance goes on to The Place Beyond the Pines. This film goes from intriguing, to impactful, to completely original. Try to find out as little as possible before you see this film because it is totally unpredictable and it will be much more enjoyable that way. Ryan Gosling is on fire in this film, you can't take your eyes off his gritty character. Bradley Cooper is also fantastic, possibly his best ever performance. The character motives were clear, the cinematography was beautiful and the score helped to build up the movie in an effective way. I could talk about this movie for much longer but I'd need to go into details and I do not want to ruin that for you. There is one small problem I have with the film but I won't say because, well you know.
½ January 24, 2017
It's good but it could have been writing better and just all around could have been so much better but still it's a good movie totally worth watching!
½ January 18, 2017
Emotionally gripping and uncomfortable. Technically impecable. Great.
½ January 4, 2017
Incredible. You can feel the progression of time and generations
½ December 30, 2016
The Shakespearean inspiration is strong with this film, but the lack of character development or investment in plot gave the audience a shallow feeling about the allegoric nature of the film. The disruptive plot-line, which was cut into two separate parts near the middle, did not help either, as such disruption also broke any bond that the audience was able to form with the protagonists, whereas the "karmic" connection between the characters of the first and the second parts seems to be conveniently coincidental rather than causal, as it should be. Given the film's extremely interesting premise, such lacklustre film-making really was a missed chance. After finishing this film, I just realised how "The Light Between Oceans" (Cianfrance's next film after this one) could be underwhelmed despite its intense trailer. We shall see.
½ December 28, 2016
Could be an amazing movie but the fact that the protagonist has to die soon to tell you the story about the son? that was not what I was expecting... might be my bad but hey, who's writing this?
½ December 26, 2016
Great acting alongside a emotional storyline done well is a must see
December 25, 2016
Spoiler Alert... when RG's character dies... So does the movie.

Three different story's with one common through line... going from good, to bad, to Just plain stupid.
December 24, 2016
Spending 2 and half hours watching this movie, and what did I take? This: having a successful father is not better than having a stepfather, in both cases you're gonna fail!
OK, but it really didn't need 2.5 hours to tell that. Lots, of wasted time and scenes. :(
December 11, 2016
The Place Beyond the Pines is an epic tale sweeping three generations. You will be amazed by Derek Cianfrance's depiction of fate, parenthood and redemption. One of Ryan Gosling's best.
½ December 11, 2016
Luke (Gosling) and Romina (Mendez) had a fling that produced a baby. However, for over a year Romina omitted to inform Luke about this. One evening Romina pops up for a surprise visit to the carnival where Luke works as a stunt rider.

The reasons for Romina's visit are baffling. She does not seem madly in love with one night stand Luke, she has a new boyfriend named Kofi and they live in his house. She does not even inform Luke about the baby, but just asks for a ride home. Smelling a rat, Luke goes back to her home the next day to find grandmother holding the baby.

Luke is the standard Gosling's character: inarticulate, dumb, asocial. He has no money, but insists to support the baby, even if nobody asked for it. So Luke starts robbing banks to be able to throw cash at Romina and their baby. One day Luke invades Kofi's house, allegedly to assemble a crib for the baby and during the proceedings he manages to anger Romina, scare the baby and smash Kofi's face.

Bailed from jail, where he rightly ended, and advised to keep a low profile, Luke decides the time is ripe for another bank robbery. End of part one and enough to put me off.

We are supposed to sympathize with the selfish and idiotic character of Luke, just because he is a father. It seemed more like he wanted to impose his presence where nobody wanted or needed him. Except that Romina dragged Luke in again, after the two of them ignored each other for a year, so maybe she wanted him, but not really.... whatever.

Part two is shorter and about Avery, the cop (also a father) who stops Luke and part three takes place 15 years later, when Luke and Avery's sons meet and collide. Neither Avery's or Luke's sons are particularly sympathetic, but they should be excused for being brats because they have daddy issues. Anyway, by the time the appear on the scene I had enough of the whole story.

The moral of the movie could be that fathers should be excused for robbing banks because they must provide for their children or that robbing banks is OK because the police is corrupted or that kids have the right to be obnoxious drug addicts because their fathers neglected them.
½ December 10, 2016
its a super great movie,
the true bad persons use you and when your done with
(so long) with a little twist and a good heart person says I'm sorry which makes all the difference to will come: only your family grief and no one cares
December 3, 2016
The brilliant performances of the actors (namely Cooper, Medelsohn and Ali) contribute some groundedness to the sometimes flaky plot, while the stunning photography and great soundtrack set just the right mood.
November 27, 2016
A Place Beyond the Pines is a simply excellent movie. If you like Stories, actual engrossing stories, with characters you actually care about; rather than cheesy movies with stars running around in tight hooded leotards, then watch and savor this movie. It captivated me the first viewing because I was actually getting the gift of a real story - told to me in a stylish and cognizant way. There were no pointless explosions or silly one-liner's boring me to death; Just gritty reality and all the angst and heartache that comes with it. The actors were simply stellar - all of them. But a special shout-out goes to Ben Mendelsohn for his realistic portrayal of the small-town loser. His character was literally so genuine, he eerily reminded my spouse and I of an old, old friend long lost to the penitentiary. On my second, third, and fourth viewing of this movie (I said it was captivating), I got to enjoy the many fine examples of film craftsmanship layered into this haunting story, especially enjoying Gosling's wordless acting as he commanded the first half of the movie. I can't say it enough: Watch This Movie! And Derek Cianfrance, Ben Coccio, and Darius Marder, if you are listening out there, more stories like this please! Much more.
November 20, 2016
A slow movie trying to give significance to the corruption