The Place Beyond The Pines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

April 12, 2018
why did they even make this train wreck???
March 27, 2018
Standing on both superb acting and competent directing, The Place Beyond the Pines should be a triumph but, at the end of the day, proves to be too unwieldy to say anything worthwhile.
February 15, 2018
this movie touches upon aspects of love, violence, greed, anger, and the overwhelming force that drives a father to do whatever he needs for his family
½ January 31, 2018
(2013) FILM: "THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES"
Director: Derek Cianfrance
Lead Actors: Ryan Gosling
Bradley Cooper/Eve Mendes
FEROCIOUSLY BRILLIANT!
AUDACIOUSLY CAPTIVATING!
UNIQUELY UNPREDICTABLE!
Setting the new bar for all future films and filmmakers within the crime and thriller genre is the intelligently dramatic, unconventionally enchanting and emotionally piercing crime thriller "THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES."
In this uniquely brilliant 3-Part crime epic director Derek Cianfrance's compelling dialogue, sophisticated suspense and consequential direction both consistently displays and successfully proves that a film can be just as or on some occasions even more powerfully gripping then your typical Michael Bay blockbuster action film. Lead actors Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper once again prove their rightful place among HOLLYWOOD'S ELITE and are displaying now more than ever before that they're generationally the new DiCaprio and Pitt.
January 15, 2018
Great acting, but a really shit, downer of a movie that I couldn't see the point of. All sins committed follow you through the generations? Every single person ever is an asshole? I don't know what my takeaway was supposed to be but I went to bed depressed AF, that I know for sure.
December 28, 2017
THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES far exceeded my expectations. Well written,well acted, somewhat predictable here and there, but overall one of the best films I have seen this year (yes, it came out in 2013) but I am behind the times.
December 27, 2017
predictable and high schoolish plot. Not worth watching. Yuck!
December 4, 2017
One of the best dramas ever made, Derek Cianfrance derives such realism and human emotion out of a fantastic story marked with stellar acting from Ryan Gosling, and an incredible turn from Bradley Cooper.
½ November 14, 2017
I actually really enjoyed the three piece part of the movie despite what some may think. It totally threw a curveball at me and it was a welcomed surprise. Really neat story that shows how a tragic event can linger into another generation and affect a large group of people. Good performances and the setting was great too
November 2, 2017
This movie got me right in the feels like no movie did. I can't compare the experience watching it to anything. From the first shot I knew I'd love it. The movie is really heavy though and deep. It depends and the people but as for me I was fully emotionally involved in everything from start to finish as if I was the main characters, i felt like I saw my life passing before me, it was such a unique experience and that's why this is my favorite movie of all time.
No movie has ever given me the feels that this movie did.
A true masterpiece.
October 25, 2017
It never goes too deep into any of the matters approached, but the 3 different arc of the movie keeps giving u enough turns to make u interested up to the end.
October 21, 2017
A really interesting take of story telling that at point had me annoyed but after it set in, I grew into it and actually found certain things had more depth and meaning later on because I had experienced those things with certain characters earlier on in the movie where as in a more conventional film where something happens to someone but because you haven't been through what they have been through in the movie, you don't really care where as in this film I think does a good job of making you care. I'm trying to keep it spoiler free while explaining the film in a good light which does make it sound abit wafflely lol but that kinda sums up this film in some ways. It is abit waffely and hit and miss at times but for the most part, I really enjoyed this unique take of story telling in films.
½ October 15, 2017
2013 FILM:"THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES"
Director: Derek Cianfrance
Lead Actors: Ryan Gosling/Bradley Cooper
Eve Mendes/Ray Liota
UNIQUELY BRILLIANT!
AUDACIOUSLY CAPTIVATING!
PREEMINENTLY UNPREDICTABLE!
The 2013 crime epic "The Place Beyond The Pines" is an impeccably confident and powerfully mature crime thriller that's emotionally piercing and intelligently dramatic setting the new bar for all future films within the crime thriller genre.
October 2, 2017
Beautiful cinematography and a very good story line. The way that Cianfrance connected the characters was truly perfect in my mind. The plot was very interesting and having no knowledge of what this film was about the twists and turns had me on edge the the whole time. Probably my favorite thing abut this film is Ryan Gosling's performance. He executed the "idgaf" attitude perfect while on the contrary He was able to display a caring side as well which is hard to do as an actor. I also should say that the cinematography was among the best that i have seen. in my mind all movies should aspire to be of this caliber film work.
½ October 2, 2017
Truly great filmmaking
September 23, 2017
Absolutey abysmal from the opening scene. Hard to think of many worse movies with this high a RT rating. Did you pay people to rate this higher?
September 6, 2017
"Pines" is a tough movie to chew on but it has a surreal rewards for the loyal watchers all throughout the movie
½ September 1, 2017
A Great cast and a great atmosphere doesn't always add up to a good film. Again, it all depends on the script and the direction. Yes, "The Place Beyond the Pines" is ambitious thanks to its three stories, but when each story gets worse after the other, then we have a problem. Plus some of the shots made by the camera man appear out of focus and dull. And don't get me started on the third act, which is the most annoying. Seriously, both Ryan Gosling's and Bradley Cooper's kids grew up to be drug addicts? And what are the chances that they will meet up too? The only redeem qualities from this film is the acting and the first act with Ryan Gosling, which is the most interesting story than the others.
½ August 16, 2017
With a story that transcends three different generations into one and powerful performances all around, The Place Beyond the Pines offers effective and realistic drama while also maintaining a sense of silence throughout.
August 6, 2017
An interesting take on storytelling. It's all well done, but the first half is so much better than the second. Not the fan of the ending either, but I can appreciate the story as a whole. Ryan Gosling, Eva Mendes and Ben Mendelsohn do a really good job here.