The Upside - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Upside Reviews

February 20, 2019
The story is a rather predictable, but who cares. It makes you feel good! I enjoyed it immensely.
Better than I expected.
February 20, 2019
Critics be like: A black man and a white man are friends? How is this supposed to sew racial division? - Critic. (gives rotten review)
Movie Goers be like: This looks fun and entertaining. No political agenda, how refreshing.
February 20, 2019
A great feel good movie. Funny, sad, and moving. Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston have a great chemistry and both of their performances shine.
February 19, 2019
Good movie. Kevin Hart and Cranston's relationship was really fun to watch, but the side of the story revolving around Hart's family was severely underdeveloped. If paid more attention to it would've made the story more balanced, but since they don't really focus on it, it just feels awkward and unnecessary.
February 19, 2019
Grear movie! Cranston was good as usual...but Kevin Hart definitely show that he has some serious acting skills as well.
½ February 19, 2019
Mid-budget star vehicles are often said to be things of the past or off-season novelties. The Upside is the latter, released in January, banking on the star power of its leads and wisely avoiding confrontation with, letā(TM)s be honest, better movies. The Upside is a loose remake of the 2011 French modern classic The Intouchables. The plot centers on an ex-con struggling to find work who finds himself in the employ of a reclusive billionaire paraplegic as his caretaker. Both learn to overcome their personal dilemmas through their partnership and eventual friendship, as you would expect for this kind of fare. Iā(TM)m told this movie is more saccharine and conventional than The Intouchables was. What I can confirm is that itā(TM)s fairly predictable. What does work about The Upside is the comedic chemistry between Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart. Both give bravura performances that overcome the melodrama and some of the best scenes involve them bullshitting, listening to music and arguing over it, or just driving around. Nicole Kidman plays āthe straight manā? and has a few surprises as the story nears the end. It lacks the depth that would allow it to stay in your memory a month later, but itā(TM)s a decent middle of the road story with a couple of laughs. The Upside is a pretty okay rental or streaming option that you can put in the background while you do chores or have sex.
February 19, 2019
excellent movie with lots of laughs. I was able to relate my dad was also paralyzed and the ups and downs are real. I am glad to see audience score is higher then what the critics gave this movie. I hope many more go see this movie.
February 19, 2019
The Upside has relatable themes, and characters, and a story that has a nice mix of drama, and comedy.
February 19, 2019
I don't know what critics are thinking. This movie was fantastic.
½ February 19, 2019
I actually quite enjoyed this movie. I needed an uplift and it definitely gave it!
February 18, 2019
This was by far one of the best movies I've seen in a long time! How Rotten Tomatoes gives it such a bad review is beyond me!!! You really should go see it!
February 18, 2019
A beautiful story of trauma, friendship, new beginnings, laughter and hope. A must see!
February 18, 2019
The Upside gets a 9.3/10 from The Cinema-Fan! This movie is incredibly charming and wonderful.

Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart are phenomenal and their chemistry makes the movie what it is. It's an inspiring film about friendship, understanding, forgiveness, and second chances. The film had me laughing out loud and is filled with heartfelt moments. I'm completely baffled why critics gave it such a hard time! Overall, I think the perfect way to describe it that it's charming and endearing. I loved it!
½ February 18, 2019
A life-affirming and thoughtfully presented message.
February 18, 2019
For a person who is not a movie critic, this is a good story from beginning to end, entertaining and you'll love the characters. A movie you'll be happy you saw.
½ February 18, 2019
The Upside is filled with emotion and heart throughout the performances of the actors. Even though there are questionable parts throughout the movie, The Upside seems to make any audience member smile with its well-landed jokes and heartfilled story, making this movie a must watch.
February 18, 2019
The negative reviews are ridiculous. The story line, acting, cinematography, editing and music are exquisite.
February 17, 2019
The chemistry between Cranston and Hart is enough to keep you engaged in the movie. It's got a good blend of drama and comedy. Well worth watching once, but it's just above average because while the story is unique, the way it was presented was not.
February 17, 2019
Great movie, funny and touching at the same time. A complete surprise, 5 stars all the way.