The Wedding Video Reviews

• Jun 19, 2015

http://letterboxd.com/zbender/film/the-wedding-video/ This film was just very underwhelming in my opinion. For one the premise just seems like it's been done again and again. Main character attends wedding of brother, brother and bride to be don't know each other at all, bride not happy with marriage coming soon, needs to make difficult decision on if she wants to marry or not... It just struck me as being bland, just like the humor. There was perhaps one gag joke that made me giggle, but other than that one moment, there was nothing else. It's been thirty minutes since I've watched, and I've forgotten any resemblance of a joke, and most story for that matter. Oh and it is a "found footage" flick which immediately made me rethink my decision to watch at first (taking me out of it at the get go). Very forgettable, predictable, and is not fun. Pass on this one.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Apr 29, 2015

About as hit-and-miss and inconsistent as a rom-com can be to be quite honest. There are some definite truths about the film as a whole about how sometimes the people themselves getting married aren't even sure if they're doing it for the right reasons, people making decisions for the couple that they have absolutely little to no input on. Of course it does so in a way that is silly and sitcom-y, but there's some good themes at its core here. Perhaps they're not as explored as well as they could be considering that the movie was meant to be light, breezy and easy to watch as opposed to making you think about the institution of marriage as a whole. But, as I mentioned, the film isn't exactly the most consistent of comedies. Like there's some bits that are great, and a lot of them involve Jenna, the wedding planner, and there's others that just fall flat on their face. For example the whole bit with the priest who always laughs at his own jokes. It works the first time, but it's not like tears are coming out of your eyes. You think that's cute and you move on from it. It's not like they beat it dead by doing the same joke, say, 8 times in the film. But they do it enough that it's, obviously, the law of diminishing returns and it's not nearly as funny. Hell, after the first one, I wouldn't have called them funny at all. It just seems too forced and contrived really. It's not really the only part of the films that comes across this way. With films whose comedic stylings resemble more sitcom-y type antics, as opposed to borrowing influence from the classics or more dialogue-driven films, that contrivance is somewhat inevitable. That doesn't mean it can't be good when done correctly, however. I don't have a problem with the film relying so much on this as much as I do with the film just not being consistent from beginning to end. There's just some lines that, if I had seen this in a theater, I probably could've heard atoms moving instead of uproarious laughter. The cast, however, is pretty damn good all things considered. Lucy Punch is always great. The one who stole the show, however, would definitely have to be Michelle Gomez who played, as mentioned Jenna the wedding planner. She definitely got the most laughs out of me than anyone else in the entire film. Not that I think the movie is bad, because it's not, it's almost good actually, but if someone could put all of Jenna's scenes into one video and post it on YouTube, then I'd suggest watching that instead of the entire film. That might come across as an insult, but it's really not. It's just that the film is, honestly, an incredibly frustrating mixed bag. At least Jenna's appearances, to me, were always funny. I was never not entertained by Jenna. With that said, while there are parts of the film that are good, the cast, for one, is really quite excellent. The writing, however, is a huge letdown. Talk about peaks and valleys. Still a decent movie overall, but one I wouldn't recommend due to its pronounced inconsistencies.

• Apr 12, 2015

A less rom com film than i imagined its still funny and great cameos. Odd that Hound is the main star but he does a good job. Punch is comic genious and nice to see Matt Berry. This is a story of a man whois going to film a wedding but things get in the way.

• Jun 27, 2014

A really great romantic comedy if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

A really great romantic comedy if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

• Jun 25, 2014

This movie is absolutely hilarious! I truly do not understand why there are so many poor ratings from usersâ?¦

• Jun 13, 2014

Such a creative and fun movie!

Such a creative and fun movie!

• May 29, 2014

I loved it!!! It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long, long time. Very well acted and beautifully paced. It is everything a comedy should be! I cried laughing. Lucy Punch is a revelation.

• May 29, 2014

Well made, funny British comedy! Worth checking out for some good laughs...

Well made, funny British comedy! Worth checking out for some good laughs...

• May 11, 2014

Level 33 Entertainment's new rom-com The Wedding Video is one of the best new independent movies of 2014. This British import made its American theatrical debut Friday May 9th. And its release could not have been more well-timed. That's because at least in the United States, the annual "wedding season" is here. Brides and grooms everywhere are making all the final plans for their annual June weddings. And this movie makes for a wonderful escape from all of those stresses. The first reason for that is the script, written by Tim Firth (Confessions of a Shopaholic, Calendar Girls, Kinky Boots). The script pokes fun at the absurdly over the top levels to which so many people go in order to plan the "perfect wedding." This includes the annual competition among women to see who has the best and worst wedding. Another reason that this movie works is the acting on the part of the cast. The cast does such an impressive job interpreting Firth's script that audiences will believe they are really seeing something from everyday life. Last but not least, audiences will appreciate the movie's pacing. The pacing, the acting and the writing itself all come together to make The Wedding Video a wedding video that any rom-com fan will want to watch again and again. The very first and most important aspect of The Wedding Video that audiences will appreciate is the movie's script, written by Tim Firth. Firth's script is so funny because of its realism. It pokes fun at the absurdly over the top lengths to which so many brides and grooms (and their families) will go in order to put on the "perfect" wedding. In some cases those lengths are even part of a covert competition among women to outdo the other because they think weddings are that big of a deal. Don't believe that? One need only turn on TLC and one will see that there is quite a bit of reality to Firth's comedy. If one looks close enough, he even pokes fun at the people that would make wedding videos and documentarians in general through his very approach in this movie. As with the wedding shows that permeate television, anyone that has ever seen a documentary of any sort or even a wedding video being made will find the comedy in Firth having Raif (Rufus Hound) documenting every little thing that goes on in the days leading up to the wedding. When one takes into consideration just how much comedy and commentary Firth included throughout the script, one must applaud him for being able to balance it all without allowing any part of his story to step on the other and bog the whole thing down. Firth did a job well worthy of applause in crafting the script for The Wedding Video. Just as worthy of applause is the case chosen for the story. The cast, led by Hound, Robert Webb, and Lucy Punch, expertly interprets Firth's script and effortlessly pulls viewers into the story. Viewers forget that they are watching movie thanks to their acting. Hound and Punch are especially worthy of applause. That's because of the bond that eventually forms between Raif and Saskia as he films her. Her progression from snobbish valley girl type to a more open, laid back person feels natural. Punch doesn't force her character's transition. It just happens. The way she handles it makes it all the more believable. The movie's main cast does its own share to make The Wedding Video a nonstop laugh riot. The supporting cast adds its own share of laughs, too. Harriet Walter plays Saskia's mother Alex. She is spot on as the overpowering mother figure. From the moment that she originally meets Raif and is told he's documenting everything, Alex tries to make the video more about her than her daughter. One of her best scenes comes as she announces to her friends at a horse race that there had been a change of venue for the wedding. She goes to Raif as they are opening the invitations and asks if he had captured the moment because the reactions wouldn't seem as real in a second take. Raif later captures the real reactions of Alex's friends, making the moment all the funnier. The reaction in question won't be given away here. But it points back to the realism in Firth's script. The reaction is a mirror image of what is seen on all the wedding shows currently on television. Even cast that plays more minor roles such as The Wedding Planner (Michelle Gomez) and Konstantin (Olegar Fedoro) add their own laughs. Gomez and Fedoro make the best of their parts, too making the movie all the funnier. The Wedding Video's cast and its script are two of the most important factors in the overall enjoyment of this movie. And both factors go a long way towards making this movie just as enjoyable as any major name rom-com ever churned out by Hollywood. There is one more factor to take into consideration in the success of the movie. That factor is the movie's pacing. Firth manages in the course of roughly ninety minutes, to tell so many jokes and keep the story moving without losing anything along way. He doesn't try to cram too much into any one given scene, thus making the whole story much easier to follow. The end result is that audiences aren't left feeling like they need to watch the movie again to figure out what happens at any one point. That solid pacing comes together with the cast's acting and Firth's script to make The Wedding Video one of the best indie films of 2014 and one of the funniest rom-coms of this year's annual wedding season. More information on this and other releases from Level 33 Entertainment is available online at http://www.facebook.com/Level33Entertainment and http://www.level33entertainment.com. To keep up with the latest entertainment reviews and news, go online to http://www.facebook.com/philspicks and "Like" it. Fans can always keep up with the latest sports and entertainment reviews and news in the Phil's Picks blog at http://philspicks.wordpress.com.

• Apr 03, 2014

Just loved this movie! It' made me laugh out loud... Lucy Punch is hilarious and Rufus and Robert just added that special british humor. Great twist at the end, didn't expect it, but sure did like it!