The Witch Who Came from the Sea Reviews

• Oct 04, 2019

A far-out and thoroughly groovy tale of the swinging scene of 1970's California. But also a disturbing tale of childhood abuse. Molly has fantasies of tying up men that also involves the use of razors. Two American Football stars are found butchered. Could Molly be responsible? Have her fantasises started to overlap with reality? The great thing about the Video Nasties list was that it contained low-key gems that were truly left-field like this movie.  The film doesn't really make much sense but it doesn't have to. The Drive-In and 42nd Street crowd would have been watching this film with their friend Mary Jane in attendance. And its possibly much more of a mind-expanding experience that way. But either way this is a very enjoyable piece of off-kilter 70's goodness. The film also looks unexpectedly gorgeous. And so it should as the Director of Photography was a young Dean Cundey. He shot this just two years before Halloween.

• Nov 05, 2018

one of the less nasty of the video nasties

one of the less nasty of the video nasties

• Jun 29, 2017

Kyllä oli boring. Miten tämäkin on päätynyt "video nasty" -listalle? Tämäkin olisi vaipunut unholaan heittämällä elleivät kukkahattutädit/sedät olisi nostaneet meteliä näistä "moraalittomista leffoista".

• Jun 29, 2016

Strange disturbing art house horror. I quite enjoyed it.

Strange disturbing art house horror. I quite enjoyed it.

• May 09, 2016

"A Grindhouse Poem" that's the best description I've seen for this. It's a pretty great and sad story, that if it wasn't in an exploitation movie, it would receive far more respect.

• Daniel P Super Reviewer
    Mar 01, 2016

Bizarre mish-mash of sexuality, horror, terrible & great writing, exploitation and art-house, that works just over 50% of the time. Certainly one for those interested in bizarre forgotten horror films.

• Jan 20, 2016

Weird mid-70's trip that will make you think you're pill popping and drinking like the 'heroine' Molly. Not great, but engaging and definitely in the bizarro category.

• Jan 20, 2014

One of the more "artistic" video nasties is an occasionally bloody psychodrama that consists of laughable effects work and tedious storytelling.

• Mar 20, 2013

A hard movie to evaluate but an even harder one to dislike-a genuine oddity with occasional flashes of inspiration.

• Jul 08, 2012

Yes, yet again another movie that has awesome poster art. Well, the actual movie has nothing to do with that, there is no witch, and there is no scene like the one depicted on the poster. The actual movie is a bit confusing,it's about a woman that was molested by her father when she was young, and her mental breakdown because of it. Actually, murderous mental breakdown. The movie is a little boring to watch, I almost fell asleep many times while watching it. Then came the scene that shocked me, woke me up. It portrayed her father molesting her as a girl. Actually that scene is the only reason I will remember this movie, I am very used to disturbing scenes, I am actually a fan of controversial and taboo movies, but I have rarely seen such scenes portrayed the way this particular one was. Other than that this movie isn't worth mention, it is a slow, cheesy slasher/drama, and a bad one at that. I give it 2 stars just for having the balls to portray such subject matter.