Thelma & Louise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thelma & Louise Reviews

March 3, 2017
Not the anti-male film that some critics cried about. Loaded with feminist undertones it turns the road movie genre on its head.

A fantastic dual performance from Davis and Sarandon.

The final scene is emotional.
½ March 1, 2017
LOUISE: "YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH BUDDY"
February 21, 2017
As I quote Brickleberry, "Thelma and Louise sucked. I nominate Susan's tits for a SAG Award".
February 4, 2017
No stars, for this waste of my life. Seriously misandrist, stupid lines, not one redeeming factor except the end when they kill themselves. Ridley Scott's worst movie ever ! Awful from beginning to end but politcally correct can be the only reason for staff tomatoe reviewers to give it an 83.
December 18, 2016
This feminist revenge fantasy exploits the cliches of the conventional road movie and male action picture then distorts rather than transcends genre. Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis are a waitress and housewife, respectively, who become fugitives after one of them kills a would-be rapist. They go on the lam across the American Southwest trying to outrun the law while reacting with hostility towards men they perceive to be sexist. The script by Callie Khouri reverses the conventions with a female chauvinist attitude. Its just as offensive in seeing men presented as lascivious brutes as it is seeing women presented as bimbos. The final freeze frame aims for the poetry of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." It is fun to see these women take charge but simply switching gender roles doesn't make the material any more daring. Directed by Ridley Scott with a less flashy visual style that uses the barren landscape of locations like Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon to great effect. Sarandon and Davis are spirited in their roles with Sarandon particularly forceful as the dominant of the two. Harvey Keitel is convincingly stringent as the sympathetic cop. Won Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. Selected for preservation by the National Film Registry. With Michael Madsen, Christopher McDonald, Brad Pitt in his first major role, Stephen Tobolowsky.
October 5, 2016
Very good movie with ending that makes it even better. Music and cinematography are great.
½ September 29, 2016
Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis are stunning as the title duo in this Ridley Scott road adventure that's nothing short of a classic.
September 24, 2016
Pretty fun adventure but showing it's age a bit. The final scene is special and has a cracking score underneath. "You sure!?" breaks my heart!
September 21, 2016
I've finally seen it! Men suck.
August 25, 2016
Starts off slow, forces the friendship between the two leads on us and doesn't given enough backstory to them to make them really relatable. The ending is rushed and the dialogue at many points is pretty bad and cliche. The commentary and message resonates still and overall it has some good scenes and sequences, but it's overly long and feels repetitive in many areas. Great acting, good sense of humor, but no one other than the main characters changes or offers much aside from being a stereotype.
½ August 24, 2016
Ridley Scott's classic is well acted, funny, and has great writing.
July 10, 2016
I loved this couple, full of chemistry, fun, and a beautiful message of loyalty and friendship.
June 25, 2016
It loses its bite over time and that's the biggest letdown. However, I like the plot and I like the suggestion that the patriarchy was so suffocating that the only answer for these two women was to take their lives to a complete extreme. Just wish it kept its bite throughout, by the last half hour you're basically checking your watch.
June 23, 2016
One of the best movies for women of all ages and all colors to enjoy!
June 5, 2016
I can see why this is a classic. It isn't just a buddy/roadtrip/thriller/feminist movie. It's impressively acted and scripted. Thelma and Louise are fully developed characters, and it's great to see their evolution over the course of the movie. Despite the trouble they get into, they are incredibly sympathetic, and you'll be there right along with them until the famous final scene.
May 31, 2016
One of the best road trip movies of all time, and my personal favorite.
½ May 28, 2016
Terrible movie, plot made for teenage girls.
½ May 24, 2016
It's an iconic movie, but it's not a very good one. Sorry kids.
½ May 22, 2016
I will watch just about any road trip movie.