Thelma & Louise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thelma & Louise Reviews

June 2, 2017
6/2/2017 (2): A pretty decent flick with a pretty great cast.
May 18, 2017
I Don't Like Films That Have Woman Or Films That Involve Woman As Woman Warriors.
April 30, 2017
Fun in it's own way, Thelma (Davis) & Louise (Sarandon) is a crime caper in reverse - instead of starting off bad and finding their good side, they start off good, accidentally kill someone and end up going on a spiraling crime spree across the USA. There's some funny moments, but it definitely feels like Keitel, Pitt, McDonald & Madsen are wasted, as it's all about the main two. Lots of bits with not too much happening and a silly, if memorable, ending.
April 30, 2017
Fantastic road movie. A very human story with great performances and gorgeous cinematography.
April 26, 2017
The chemistry between Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis is superb, and elevates Thelma & Louise beyond what it would be otherwise. They sell this friendship as something authentic and heartfelt, and the movie needed that to keep an emotional core. The journey they take is a dramatic one, with a number of shocking turns that keep the stakes rising higher. It was interesting to see how far they would go, and strangely I felt the freeing effect when they finally just embraced being outlaws. It?s one of those movies where you reach the end and it?s fun to look back at how much the characters have changed since that first scene.

I like that there wasn?t a big exposition dump at the beginning and we are allowed to meet these 2 women and learn more about them as they journey together. It becomes a classic road movie with a dark twist and that leads to some drama, some action, and even some moments of levity. Harvey Keitel was great as the detective who?s trying to track them down. There are a couple of moments where he reacts in unexpected ways, and it makes you like him even more. It?s one of the rare movies where I cared about the people on the run, and the cops chasing them at the same time. By the end you feel, if they were going to get caught by the cops, he?s the guy you want taking them in.

Sadly, there were a few things that bugged me in Thelma & Louise. First of all, the behavior of Geena Davis? character was a struggle to accept. She seemed to be inconsistent, and confusing. One moment she?s completely flighty and forgetful, and the next she?s the smartest girl in the room who controls everything. At one point I started to wonder if she was just bipolar or something because I could never anticipate what she would next. The unpredictability works for the plot, but not so much for the character in my opinion.

I?ll admit, my other struggle was with the infamous ending. If you don?t know what happens then don?t read any further, but I knew what was coming years ago even though I didn?t see the movie. I?ve seen that scene played in so many montages, and I?ve seen it parodied multiple times, so the surprise wasn?t there. While there?s a slight feel of letting go and breaking free in that moment they fly off the cliff, I can?t get over how depressing it is as well. And knowing that was coming as I began watching made the entire film feel a bit more dour, and unsatisfying. I think Thelma & Louise is a well-made film, and it is effective, but it?s not the most enjoyable thing to watch.
March 3, 2017
Not the anti-male film that some critics cried about. Loaded with feminist undertones it turns the road movie genre on its head.

A fantastic dual performance from Davis and Sarandon.

The final scene is emotional.
½ March 1, 2017
LOUISE: "YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH BUDDY"
February 21, 2017
As I quote Brickleberry, "Thelma and Louise sucked. I nominate Susan's tits for a SAG Award".
February 4, 2017
No stars, for this waste of my life. Seriously misandrist, stupid lines, not one redeeming factor except the end when they kill themselves. Ridley Scott's worst movie ever ! Awful from beginning to end but politcally correct can be the only reason for staff tomatoe reviewers to give it an 83.
December 18, 2016
This feminist revenge fantasy exploits the cliches of the conventional road movie and male action picture then distorts rather than transcends genre. Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis are a waitress and housewife, respectively, who become fugitives after one of them kills a would-be rapist. They go on the lam across the American Southwest trying to outrun the law while reacting with hostility towards men they perceive to be sexist. The script by Callie Khouri reverses the conventions with a female chauvinist attitude. Its just as offensive in seeing men presented as lascivious brutes as it is seeing women presented as bimbos. The final freeze frame aims for the poetry of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." It is fun to see these women take charge but simply switching gender roles doesn't make the material any more daring. Directed by Ridley Scott with a less flashy visual style that uses the barren landscape of locations like Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon to great effect. Sarandon and Davis are spirited in their roles with Sarandon particularly forceful as the dominant of the two. Harvey Keitel is convincingly stringent as the sympathetic cop. Won Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. Selected for preservation by the National Film Registry. With Michael Madsen, Christopher McDonald, Brad Pitt in his first major role, Stephen Tobolowsky.
October 5, 2016
Very good movie with ending that makes it even better. Music and cinematography are great.
½ September 29, 2016
Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis are stunning as the title duo in this Ridley Scott road adventure that's nothing short of a classic.
September 24, 2016
Pretty fun adventure but showing it's age a bit. The final scene is special and has a cracking score underneath. "You sure!?" breaks my heart!
September 21, 2016
I've finally seen it! Men suck.
August 25, 2016
Starts off slow, forces the friendship between the two leads on us and doesn't given enough backstory to them to make them really relatable. The ending is rushed and the dialogue at many points is pretty bad and cliche. The commentary and message resonates still and overall it has some good scenes and sequences, but it's overly long and feels repetitive in many areas. Great acting, good sense of humor, but no one other than the main characters changes or offers much aside from being a stereotype.
½ August 24, 2016
Ridley Scott's classic is well acted, funny, and has great writing.
July 10, 2016
I loved this couple, full of chemistry, fun, and a beautiful message of loyalty and friendship.
June 25, 2016
It loses its bite over time and that's the biggest letdown. However, I like the plot and I like the suggestion that the patriarchy was so suffocating that the only answer for these two women was to take their lives to a complete extreme. Just wish it kept its bite throughout, by the last half hour you're basically checking your watch.
June 23, 2016
One of the best movies for women of all ages and all colors to enjoy!
June 5, 2016
I can see why this is a classic. It isn't just a buddy/roadtrip/thriller/feminist movie. It's impressively acted and scripted. Thelma and Louise are fully developed characters, and it's great to see their evolution over the course of the movie. Despite the trouble they get into, they are incredibly sympathetic, and you'll be there right along with them until the famous final scene.