Thoroughbreds Reviews

• Oct 24, 2020

Genuinely an unpredictable, very well-filmed teen crime thriller driven by Cooke's committed monotonous performance and Taylor-Joy's edgy teen angst on the corrupted verge from innocence, both smartly mixes in a cruel sense of dark humor that little would share. (B)

• Sep 19, 2020

By the end I liked it more than I realized at first. It had a weirdness that wasn’t too forced, and I thought about it more afterward than I would have expected. The two main characters, while not at all likeable, are each intriguing in their own way. If at first it seemed superficial, the gruesome plot eventually came together like some vaguely abstract but dark commentary on society, sort of like a less-annoying “Funny Games”.

• Sep 08, 2020

The script offers a black thriller with two young psychopaths that exposes the game of manipulation and power of the "empty" unhappiness of the upper classes and the lack of empathy for the rest of classes and people, personifying sociopathy in its two central characters.

• Jul 17, 2020

Cory Finley, a first time filmmaker, got five million to make a movie and does a relatively good job in a picture that feels like an empty exercise. It's never not entertaining, but it's never wowing either. The cast is great and it's sad to finally get to Anton Yelchin's final film. It's a bit too tidy of a finish, but as far as things are right now this is a film worth recommending. Final Score: 6.7/10

• Jun 12, 2020

This movie is incredible, and is now my favorite movie. I discovered it probably a year and a half ago, and my only wish is to experience the feeling i had watching it for the first time. Yes, for some people, it may be slow, but when you deeply look, it's nothing like that. A lot of efforts were made in the description and evolution of the characters, and i would recomand you to watch it twice to really catch all of the red flags. The end caught me off guard, and the last 20 minutes are pure perfection. I love the way it depict violence, mental health and emotions in a way that is more implicit. The relationship between Amanda and Lily feels real and is complicated, but also simple. I felt like i deeply know the characters after only one viewing, but probably watched it 10 times afterwards, just because i love it so much. This movie puts me, and maybe this is personal, in a kind of transe, as if i couldn't move, the music is incredible and weirdly sticks to the characters. The performances of Anya Taylor Joy, Olivia Cook and Anton Yelchin are outstanding. On a more personal note: I love this movie with all my heart and identified with the characters, especially Amanda, because i suffer from a mental illness that is close to what she is experiencing. I feel like the emotions are depicted in such an original but perfect way that it makes it feel even more real.

• May 31, 2020

Pretentious teenage girls plan to kill their step-dad because they swear that they're not just sociopathic rich kids? Sounds like my kind of black comedy/crime thriller.

• May 31, 2020

How do so many bad movies get produced? Anton Yelchin was the stand out.

How do so many bad movies get produced? Anton Yelchin was the stand out.

• May 22, 2020

A slow but not boring movie. The movie evolves just like the characters in it. Funny moments, although a special kind of comedy that's not for everyone. In the end the movie becomes disturbingly surprising in a good way. Nice long shots with great captured pictures.

• May 02, 2020

Good first, but not on par with Bad Education. Unrealistic climax in particular took it down a few.

• Apr 25, 2020

This movie plain sucked. Terrible writing, affected, annoying acting, and intolerably slow. And I like slow movies, just not ones where the cause of the slowness is a lack of ideas and a futile grasping at depth with a clear lack of knowledge on how depth is to be actually created. (For example, minutes of watching a character furiously type.) As with many movies of its type nowadays, the woman characters are deep and intriguing and oh-so-oppressed, the male characters are cartoonish villains to be despised. Film was better when all the characters had dimension. This type of tripe is now ubiquitous.