Three Kings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Kings Reviews

jamrcla
July 22, 2017
What this film does well was it's blending of a great plot with some good action and humour to top it off, The film is helped by how unexpected some scenes are and how smoothly it goes along, I was hoping for a few more action scenes but the story got more serious as it went on and it ended brilliantly, Not your typical war movie but it's certainly one of the best.
April 27, 2017
Hilarious and tense... a winning combo.
March 20, 2017
Probably the best war film of recent years
February 16, 2017
Shallow, boring and a waste of time. The typical 'America turns everything into a TV show' type movie. Couldn't bear myself through the entire movie really. Coming down under 'comedy', 'adventure', and a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, I thought it would have been an interesting movie to watch, I couldn't have been more away from the truth. After reading the review from Rotten Tomatoes top critics, I am starting to wonder if I we watched different movies.
February 5, 2017
Three Kings is a brilliant mix of a war film, drama, comedy and action film, all based on real events and masterfully directed by David O. Russell.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ November 14, 2016
Definitely got me thinking about middle eastern politics and USA foreign intervention.
½ October 11, 2016
Three Kings begins as a cynical, even disrespectful, Gulf War parody. By the end it evolves into a movie that's equal parts dark comedy and philosophical examination of both war and inaction. It asks hard questions, but is wise enough to realize that complex problems don't have simple answers.
August 29, 2016
Kelly's Heroes is my favortie war film. This film follows in that tradition.. then goes its own original route. At the time, it was in a very exclusive club of "Gulf War" films. Literally, there was this, Courage under Fire, Hot Shot movies and a handful of TV movies.
August 19, 2016
hilarious, heartbreaking.
August 16, 2016
From the very beginning, Three Kings isn't a typical war film. The first act is almost straight-up comedy, and even as the film progresses into a bit more familiar territory, there remains something oddly jarring within the way David O. Russell tells this story, although perhaps some of that can be chalked up to some strange stylistic choices. An anti-war stance takes precedence here, and is unrelenting in proving that message. The film has no shame in throwing punches at United States foreign policy under the Bush administration and the involvement in Iraq at the end of the Persian Gulf War, and works quite effectively in that regard. The film does manage to blend in effective sequences of wartime action and hard-hitting moments, especially towards the end of the film. The four lead performances here are all top notch, including career-igniting performances from George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg and solid turns from Ice Cube and Spike Jonze (in one of his rare acting appearances).

One of O. Russell's earlier films is one of his best. While the ending sags and somewhat fails to live up to the rest of the film, it's a rousing film that's simultaneously entertaining and thoughtful in what it has to say.
June 22, 2016
"Three Kings" takes its material serious enough that it manages to be both a satirical and a sincere portrait of the Gulf War.
½ June 19, 2016
Entertaining, energetic and well-directed.
½ June 11, 2016
Exciting and angering in equal terms, deftly mixing a powerful statement with innovative filmmaking. At times, Three Kings is very real, very funny, and even real funny.
June 10, 2016
Excellent film! Wasn't expecting this kind of a thrill ride that also deals with a deeper shift in the humanity of a small group of fortune-seeking soldiers. Well casted and performed.
May 5, 2016
Soldiers of the gulf war decide to embark on a journey to steal Hussein's gold in this offbeat drama. It doesn't wow but it doesn't bore either.
March 29, 2016
This is an excellent movie you've probably forgotten about. Give it another watch. Great flick and Ice Cube disables a chopper with an exploding nerf football.
½ March 9, 2016
Director David O. Russell makes a sympathetic, entertaining movie about the horrors of war, while seamlessly adding heart, satire, and action like a pro.
½ February 19, 2016
I enjoy stories like this where people with dishonorable intentions are turned to honorable actions because their conscience gets the better of them. This movie really hits the ground running by setting the scene and almost immediately putting the plot in motion. I think one problem with this is that I don't get much time to connect with the main characters and care about why they are committing this criminal act. As the film progresses the events make me like the characters more, but I think it would have helped if that came at the beginning. Once things get going I was a little confused over what was happening and what the plan was, but the movie went from confusing to straightforward as the plot progressed so I didn't mind too much. I like how the tables are turned on our protagonists and some of the mistreatment that they doled out is given right back to them. It made you question which actions are justifiable, and also the way the war in the Middle East was executed. Clooney, Wahlberg, and Cube were all perfect casting decisions because they can pull off selfish jerks at the beginning and also selfless protectors at the end. There was something about the pacing of the story that felt very choppy, though, and I didn't really enjoy that. I think it is overall a well-executed story, but there's some ineffable quality to the film that I didn't connect with emotionally. So when heavy things are happening (like torture) I felt strangely disconnected instead of impacted. I'm glad I saw Three Kings, and I think many people would enjoy it, but I don't think I'll ever seek it out again.