Tootsie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tootsie Reviews

½ December 10, 2016
Tootsie is a gender-swap comedy that thankfully doesn't go over-the-top, and rather shines with a smart & hilarious script and an effervescent dual performance from Dustin Hoffman.
December 5, 2016
A difficult film for me to review. Either go with praising Dustin Hoffman's convincing acting or criticize the complex message and story, but I will go with praising the movie as I find it a funny movie.
½ October 23, 2016
Hilarious, though somewhat dated take on the 'body-swap' or 'spend a day in my shoes' tale. Dustin Hoffman drives the whole film with his brilliance and Bill Murray adds excellent offbeat comic relief.
½ September 7, 2016
A funny narrative with one of Hoffman's more memorable performances that stands the test of time
½ August 19, 2016
A struggling actor goes drag and ends up the star of a daily soap opera. The characters are intelligent, which is why I hated this movie. Yep, the intelligent characters and dramatic scenes ruin this because I couldn't buy into the fact that the characters of this movie could not see that Dorothy was a dude. I mean come on. Generally in movies like this, the characters are idiots so I understand that they can't distinguish a man in drag. With that said, the performances by the all star cast are stellar. Maybe too stellar, as they make their characters intelligent Unfortunately, this isn't the kind of movie that requires intelligence.
½ August 12, 2016
While the movie has many high points, Dustin Hoffman being at his best, it cannot hide that it shows its age. The criticism of how women are being treated could be sharper but was probably sharp at its time. The depth of the characters, is to be described as shallow at best. Mrs. Doubtfire is a welcome addition to this men-in-women's-clothing and it does age better. Still, it is a nice movie with a recollection of the 80s that has with time lost some of its bite.
August 4, 2016
A childhood favourite. The perfect blend of comedy and fine acting. A terrific lead performance from Hoffman and great support from Durning, Lange and Bill Murray.
July 19, 2016
The best comedy ever made.
½ June 13, 2016
Struggling actor who can't keep a job must disguise himself as a woman to get acting work. It's another man in drag comedy that may be the best of its genre, but still corny and unbelievable.
½ May 5, 2016
Hilarious and heart-warming, Tootsie is anchored by Hoffman's pitch-perfect performance, and Pollack's straight-sighted direction.
½ April 21, 2016
That is one nutty hospital.
February 18, 2016
It's very 80s cheesey which brings the film down a lot when watching it nowadays, but Dustin Hoffman is phenomenal in it. The plot is completely implausible, but who cares when the cast is this fun.
February 18, 2016
Sydney Pollack directing. Dustin Hoffman starring. Jessica Lange, Terri Garr, Dabney Coleman, Geena Davis and Bill Murray supporting. What more do you need. If you can't enjoy this classic just quit watching movies altogether.
February 18, 2016
Don't remember seeing the full film before.
Perhaps I would have thought about it differently then, but now it was a bit sweet and very nostalgic (the music, the colours in decor and clothing) a film with good point, no swearing, nice acting and 80s fashions.
February 14, 2016
Hoffman is very entertaining.
February 12, 2016
Another reason why I despise Dustin Hoffman and the schmaltzy movies he starred in; "The Graduate", "Tootsie", "Kramer vs. Kramer" just rock bottom in terms of quality cinema in comparison to most of the films from the UK. Just a craven pursuit of money, the ends apparently justify the means with regard to Mr. Hoffman. He doesn't "act" in a meaningful way but plays himself to the amusement of unthinking people and minds filled with trivial pursuits and cheap thrills. Garbage, tripe, hollow and meaningless programming without any redemptive qualities. The next time I am looking for better films I will look elsewhere--"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is even preferable!!!
February 1, 2016
A movie about actors and actresses wanting to be taken seriously, with a strong feminist subtext for its time. Makes sense that this is the movie that put Lange on the map. She put pure empathic passion into her character of Julie that was almost palpable and quite memorable. Dustin Hoffman deals with his character with grace and slips into his character like a glove. Bill Murray like usual steals every scene. Its hard to miss something like that thats oozing charisma. Some moments can be a bit sappy in this film but it's all too heartfelt and real. When Dustin in Dorothy drag tells the director that her name is non "Tootsie" its Dorothy, it strikes a ringing feeling of empathy for what women have to go through in the work place. A very important piece of cinema.
½ December 28, 2015
I saw 'Mrs. Doubtfire' for the first time earlier this year and I really enjoyed it. 'Tootsie' is very similar and is the predecessor to the Robin Williams comedy film. Both have very similar plot lines and similar obstacles to overcome but what makes this film different is the comedy style. 'Mrs. Doubtfire' has lots of physical comedy and is very fast. Tootsie's comedy comes from clever witty dialogue between the characters. Dustin Hoffman plays a great Dorothy Michaels and has lots of laughs. Overall, 'Tootsie' or 'Mrs. Doubtfire' are great films to add to your collection
½ December 28, 2015
December 26, 2015
the magic of good-old Dustin Hoffman. Love it!