Trading Places - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trading Places Reviews

February 23, 2018
Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy are a fun watch as they trade lives in this classic comedy social satire.
February 3, 2018
One of Murphy's best films and a stand out performance from him raises this 80's comedy that still has never been topped in the rags to riches genre.

Jamie Lee Curtis shows her versatility playing the sexy hooker that picks up spoiled down on his luck Aykroyd in this classic 80's movie.

Jamie Lee Curtis would become many a schoolboys crush after this. She more than holds her own in this impressive cast.
December 30, 2017
Funny how despite some hilariously dated tech on display, this movies overall message and characters are more relevant now than ever. That novelty aside, it's a pretty standard movie of its type and era. Ackroyd and Murphy both do a good job, and I liked seeing them together. It's nice to remember there was a time when Eddie Murphy was really funny, and while I don't think this is his best performance he's still very enjoyable here. The strange thing is I was actually pretty invested in the plot though, I really wanted to see how things were going to play out for these guys and how they were going to get their eventual revenge. It's a fun movie. Not a great movie, but a fun one with some poignant stuff to say every once in a while and an ending that, in today's political and financial climate, is pretty satisfying to watch.
December 26, 2017
Great must see film.
December 25, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Aunque resulta divertido, gracias a un genial Eddie Murphy, y en parte reflexivo, Trading Places cuenta con argumentos que pueden resultar absurdos.
December 24, 2017
She said I could watch any Christmas movie I wanted, so I picked "Trading Places" you jive turkey!
½ December 16, 2017
Comedy classic that holds up perfectly, thanks to two outstanding lead performances along with a sharp satire on class & crony capitalism. Murphy & Aykroyd are at their career best, bouncing between super rich & miserably poor effortlessly. Aykroyd particularly shines as his life slowly falls apart, and even when it gets pretty dark, you can't help but laugh. Both leads get great support from the rest of the cast, particularly Jamie Lee Curtis as the hooker with the heart of gold and both Ralph Bellamy & Don Ameche are perfect scumbags. Behind the camera, John Landis makes a pointed satire on class & crony capitalism and how those ahead rig the game to stay that way, while not being an condemnation of the getting rich in general (that's what the heroes ultimately do). Even the ridiculous parts work, some resulting in the film's biggest laughs (the gorilla sequence is laugh out loud funny). Overall, one of the funniest comedies ever and, since it takes place during Christmas, a great holiday film.
½ December 8, 2017
As long as you watch it with the same gravity with which the movie takes itself, it's a sleigh ride of a good time. OK, maybe more of a bus/limo/rollie-cart ride of a good time.
½ November 18, 2017
The movie gives us a good and great explanation on how a pour guy would live life as a rich guy, and how a rich guy would live life as a pour guy. It's corny, yeah, but keeps the message going pretty well.
November 12, 2017
A mild comedy that is watchable, but overrated and forgettable. (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ September 4, 2017
Old school fun at its best. Can't go wrong with Murphy and Ankroyd
½ August 1, 2017
This film does have it's funny parts and most if not 99 percent of them being delivered by Eddie Murphy. Parts do seem to be quite silly and childish.
June 5, 2017
Widly unrealstic lacking any kinda of logic
½ March 1, 2017
very funny love this movie
½ February 8, 2017
170208: I had always appreciated this film but, until this viewing, totally underestimated it. Trading Places is amazingly well written and cast product. This is Eddie Murphy in his prime and his character, Billy Rae Valentine, makes me laugh and laugh. Also featuring Dan Aykroyd, Jamie Lee Curtis and Denholm Elliott, this film is packed with top-notch artists. For such a tiny part, one time film actor James D. Turner, "Yeah", even generated a few smirks. Humorous beyond belief yet addressing sensitive topics like the class structure and race, I could see some using it as an excuse to riot at the time of writing this review. Instead of rioting however, I just laughed and reflected upon the bigger questions this film generates, and it generates many. With the passage of time, age and experience has made Trading Places, and the 1983 Jamie Lee Curtis, even more enjoyable.
February 3, 2017
Probably still Aykroyd & Murphy's best work to date.

Murphy is very funny in this.

Billy Ray: When I was growing up, if we wanted a Jacuzzi, we had to fart in the tub.

½ January 29, 2017
A great comedy with Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd. They have good chemistry and deliver their humor to the audience very smoothly.
½ January 23, 2017
I've never been a big fan of Trading Places. I don't feel like Eddie Murphy gets a chance to fully embrace his comedic talent, and I have never thought Dan Aykroyd was much of an actor. The final scene confuses me every time, while I understand the concept of what is going on I never get exactly how they were able to make that happen. Also the movie devolves into farce throughout the train sequence to a point where the tone feels entirely out of place with the rest of the film. Finally, I think I have some struggles enjoying this movie because it feels like rich people problems, and who sympathizes with that? It's not a terrible film, or a complete failure, just not one that is for me.
January 1, 2017
Rating: 83%
Featuring a smart script and well-cast actors, Trading Places offers a valuable lesson without giving up on laughs.
December 27, 2016
Dated but still funny, a bit more gratuitous nudity than I care for.