Trading Places - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trading Places Reviews

½ August 20, 2016
This is one of those comedies that has a heart, and the payoff at the end feels more than justified.
August 18, 2016
A homeless con artist is approached by two billionaire brothers who make a bet that they can take a privileged person (Aykroyd) and trade places with the poor Eddie Murphy and see who succeeds. This is comedy at its best.
August 5, 2016
Aykroyds and Murphys performances makes most of "Trading Places" easy to overlook its otherwise silly plot.
½ August 5, 2016
Trading Places is a classic comedy movie. Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy are hilarious together. This is also one of Dan Aykroyd's and Eddie Murphy's best movies yet. This movie also has a great plot. Impossible not to laugh! I would very much suggest this movie.
½ August 1, 2016
Hilariously funny and has a thoughtful message.
July 25, 2016
Doesn't get any better than this
July 18, 2016
Felt more like a middle-school play than a movie. I know Dan Aykroyd can act... just not in this movie.
July 3, 2016
This is one of my favourite movies and definately my favourite Christmas movie. Aside of being funny as what, it tackles a lot of important themes. Greed, the hypocricy of groupthink, the giant gap between rich and poor, racism and being betrayed by "friends" and falling from grace. Eventually, intellectual wit and true friendship win the day and provide a very satisfying happy end. Every time I watch this movie, I see new details of the rich world the directors have shaped. I learned a lot about the economy thanks to this movie. And the acting is superb. The way characters as Billy Valentine (Eddie Murphy) and Mortimer Duke (Don Ameche) sometimes break the fourth wall is hilarious. Best line: the lovely and ever so proper Coleman on war path saying: "Egg nolk?"
Oh and I forgot about the superior soundtrack. Starting the movie with Mozart's Marriage of Figaro and images of the rich and the poor, the trading and the properous is nothing short of brilliant.
½ July 2, 2016
Landis' films have a certain style and feel to them. "Trading Places" utilizes that feel, in combination to tremendous comedic talent and social satire to produce an incredibly entertaining romp. Everyone here is at the top of their games.
½ May 23, 2016
A great comedy with Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd. These two actors have good chemistry and deliver their humor to the audience very smoothly.
March 27, 2016
Clever, intelligent and above all fun, Trading Places is a delightfully entertaining social experiment that brings out incredible performances from Dan Aykroid, Eddie Murphy and especially Jamie Lee Curtis.
February 1, 2016
Hilarious and pretty good story, Eddie Murphy and Aykroyd are great.
January 31, 2016
Hardly surprising that some of the jokes in this 1983 movie are dated but the clever social satire and comedic talents of Murphy and Aykroyd prove more effective than most modern comedies.
½ January 30, 2016
Knall komedie fra 80 tallet
½ January 17, 2016
Classic '80s comedy that holds up quite well thanks to two great lead performances & some edgy humor you couldn't get away with today. Aykroyd & Murphy both give hilarious turns, with Aykroyd generating the most laughs as his life falls apart. He gives Louis Winthrope the right mix of pomposity yet sympathy that you kind of feel bad as horrible things happen to him but still laugh, even when he's at the point of taking his life. They get great support from the rest of the cast, with Jamie Lee Curtis giving a notably sexy turn as the classic hooker with a heart of gold. Behind the camera, John Landis keeps the laughs coming while delivering a nice satire on rich versus poor. He doesn't outright condemn capitalism or being rich, but just certain greedy people who ruin it for everyone else. Plus, there are some darker jokes here that probably wouldn't work today, from Louis's suicide attempts to later appearing in black face, but in the context of this film are still funny. Overall, a classic comedy that still holds up and since it takes place during Christmas, perfect for the holiday movie rotation.
½ January 6, 2016
I think after over 30 years, the humor has lost something. I just can't figure out why this is so beloved...? And what's the end moral: all rich people are awful unless YOU are the rich people? Just not nearly funny enough and a bit too much dated racism for me.
½ January 2, 2016
I' don't know why but during Chrsitmas time it always is broadcasted and I always watch it
December 26, 2015
Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphey and John Landis. It would have to be pretty damn good.