Trading Places - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trading Places Reviews

½ August 1, 2017
This film does have it's funny parts and most if not 99 percent of them being delivered by Eddie Murphy. Parts do seem to be quite silly and childish.
June 5, 2017
Widly unrealstic lacking any kinda of logic
½ March 1, 2017
very funny love this movie
½ February 8, 2017
170208: I had always appreciated this film but, until this viewing, totally underestimated it. Trading Places is amazingly well written and cast product. This is Eddie Murphy in his prime and his character, Billy Rae Valentine, makes me laugh and laugh. Also featuring Dan Aykroyd, Jamie Lee Curtis and Denholm Elliott, this film is packed with top-notch artists. For such a tiny part, one time film actor James D. Turner, "Yeah", even generated a few smirks. Humorous beyond belief yet addressing sensitive topics like the class structure and race, I could see some using it as an excuse to riot at the time of writing this review. Instead of rioting however, I just laughed and reflected upon the bigger questions this film generates, and it generates many. With the passage of time, age and experience has made Trading Places, and the 1983 Jamie Lee Curtis, even more enjoyable.
February 3, 2017
Probably still Aykroyd & Murphy's best work to date.

Murphy is very funny in this.

Billy Ray: When I was growing up, if we wanted a Jacuzzi, we had to fart in the tub.

[8/10]
½ January 29, 2017
A great comedy with Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd. They have good chemistry and deliver their humor to the audience very smoothly.
½ January 23, 2017
I've never been a big fan of Trading Places. I don't feel like Eddie Murphy gets a chance to fully embrace his comedic talent, and I have never thought Dan Aykroyd was much of an actor. The final scene confuses me every time, while I understand the concept of what is going on I never get exactly how they were able to make that happen. Also the movie devolves into farce throughout the train sequence to a point where the tone feels entirely out of place with the rest of the film. Finally, I think I have some struggles enjoying this movie because it feels like rich people problems, and who sympathizes with that? It's not a terrible film, or a complete failure, just not one that is for me.
January 1, 2017
Rating: 83%
Featuring a smart script and well-cast actors, Trading Places offers a valuable lesson without giving up on laughs.
December 27, 2016
Dated but still funny, a bit more gratuitous nudity than I care for.
December 21, 2016
Okay 80's comedy. Laughed a few times.
½ December 18, 2016
Watched this again on the Christmas Movie Channel. What a shock and example of how time changes perception of what is funny!

Not only did we have the Twin Towers as a stark reminder of recent horrific events we also had the hilarious Eddie Murphy being referred to as s 'Nigger' and stereo typed as naturally a criminal.

A very funny film at the time and I remembered enjoying it a lot. But boy times have changed for the better.
½ December 2, 2016
Comedy classic that holds up perfectly, thanks to two outstanding lead performances along with a sharp satire on class & crony capitalism. Murphy & Aykroyd are at their career best, bouncing between super rich & miserably poor effortlessly. Aykroyd particularly shines as his life slowly falls apart, and even when it gets pretty dark, you can't help but laugh. Both leads get great support from the rest of the cast, particularly Jamie Lee Curtis as the hooker with the heart of gold and both Ralph Bellamy & Don Ameche are perfect scumbags. Behind the camera, John Landis makes a pointed satire on class & crony capitalism and how those ahead rig the game to stay that way, while not being an condemnation of the getting rich in general (that's what the heroes ultimately do). Even the ridiculous parts work, some resulting in the film's biggest laughs (the gorilla sequence is laugh out loud funny). Overall, one of the funniest comedies ever and, since it takes place during Christmas, a great holiday film.
November 17, 2016
Another one of those "smart" comedies of the 80's, 'Trading Places' presents a fine and original story overloaded with gags and brilliant humour, that almost has a seriousness to it due to the observation of snobbishness and prejudice on Wall Street. Eddie Murphy is once again fantastic, and as much as I admire Dan Aykroyd as an actor and comedian, I personally couldn't stand his "poncey" persona portrayed in this film which was at times rather annoying. This aside the two have perfect chemistry and the film almost acts as a caper at times. Whilst I don't think it stands up to the likes of 'Beverly Hills Cop', it is still a very well-made comedy from Landis.
October 31, 2016
Very good comedy that stands the test of time. Murphy & Acroyd flawlessly carry the movie.
August 29, 2016
You can bet One Dollar that this is a great comedy, but I didn't like Dan Aykroyd coast through absolute, unwarranted poverty.
½ August 20, 2016
This is one of those comedies that has a heart, and the payoff at the end feels more than justified.
August 18, 2016
A homeless con artist is approached by two billionaire brothers who make a bet that they can take a privileged person (Aykroyd) and trade places with the poor Eddie Murphy and see who succeeds. This is comedy at its best.
August 5, 2016
Aykroyds and Murphys performances makes most of "Trading Places" easy to overlook its otherwise silly plot.
½ August 5, 2016
Trading Places is a classic comedy movie. Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy are hilarious together. This is also one of Dan Aykroyd's and Eddie Murphy's best movies yet. This movie also has a great plot. Impossible not to laugh! I would very much suggest this movie.
½ August 1, 2016
Hilariously funny and has a thoughtful message.