The Trigger Effect Reviews

• Jul 21, 2018

Very subtile und well acted thriller about the slow breakdown of society during a power outrage. Creepy like an invisible apocalypse.

• Sep 23, 2017

Tensions rise among Californians during a massive power outage. Surprisingly tense with some nice subtlety. Screenwriter David Koepp's directorial debut.

• Nov 26, 2016

A solid listing in the 90's section of Netflix.

A solid listing in the 90's section of Netflix.

• May 20, 2016

Some hokey eye-roll stuff, but lots of great stuff that more than makes up for it. Definitely worth watching even though it's flawed.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Apr 26, 2016

You know, I live in an island (Puerto Rico) where blackouts are an almost daily occurrence. Maybe not so much recently, but the blackouts got really bad here some years ago. There was this really bad hurricane either in 88 (the year I was born) or 89 where my neighborhood was without electricity for ONE WHOLE MONTH. I obviously wasn't a self-aware being back then, but I've still experienced real absurd blackouts. Which is why, to me, this movie is so ridiculously absurd and completely over-the-top. I'm not saying that the movie is bad, it's not actually bad at all. It's decent with a good enough cast to make it watchable, at the very least. I just had a hard time getting into the storyline. The film really has no narrative, it's just the theme of what humanity is capable of when the idea of what they view to be 'civilization' is stripped away. And I wouldn't mind that concept, if the film at least had a story to go along with it, instead of segments (or skits) of humans acting like selfish, reactionary assholes. But there's no real story to speak of. I don't even know what Matt, Annie and Joe's endgame is. Like why did they decide to leave their house to go to Colorado? Who the fuck knows? Why is anything happening in this film? Nobody knows, just because they think it might lead to some interesting moments. That's probably the film's second biggest flaw, the fact that there's no real reason for anything that's happening. The first would be, as mentioned, the fact that the situations they present here are so over-the-top and ridiculous. All films are a work of fiction, that much is obvious, and a lot of them are prone to exaggerations, even biographical films, but there's something just so heavy-handed about the way this film presents its story, its world and its characters that's really off-putting. Again, not that there's anything wrong with telling this type of story, where, supposed, civilized humans act like anything but once they're faced with something they're unfamiliar with, but you don't do it the way this movie did it. And that's a shame because, at least with Matt, Joe and Annie, there's some sort of past there that the movie does play with and it's actually pretty solid. It's sort of bogged down by everything going on around them, but there's something there. I will say, however, that the teasing of sexual tension between Joe and Annie has an unsatisfying conclusion. There was no part of that sentence that I liked writing. But, anyway, they just sort of drop the thing without any confrontation between Annie, Joe and Matt and that was annoying. That was the only part of the film that actually had a semblance of a narrative and they just refused to pay it off. Another element of the film that was flawed. I don't wanna say there was a lot of potential with this movie, it's not like this was as inventive as Scott Pilgrim vs The World, but there's a good enough idea here that they could've made something solid and they just didn't. The lack of a true narrative and motivations for the leads, the over-the-top approach to its story, its unsatisfying conclusion to one of the main elements of the film. All of this really hold the movie back. It's not bad, it's decent at best, it's just that it's obvious that its flaws are more glaringly obvious as opposed to its positive points. I can't recommend based on that, but I guess you could do worse. But that's hardly reason to watch a movie.

• Mar 19, 2016

Unbelievable social drama - just how widespread was this "blackout" supposed to have been that they were planning on driving to Colorado from SoCal to escape it? Decent acting (not great acting) does nothing to cover plot holes that huge. The movie seemed to be pointless as well. Shue looked great as always.

• May 02, 2015

Well acted action adventure,The Purge only well written.

Well acted action adventure,The Purge only well written.

• Jan 07, 2013

This film depicts how we depend on the sense of normality and when that normality is broken what the after effects can be. With a good cast, a well shot beginning and an interesting plot this film more than holds your attention, it makes you think; What would you do in this situation?

John B Super Reviewer
    Nov 30, 2012

Not bad but not great. I think that with a stronger director than Koepp, this would really have hit home. These actors can and have risen higher when called to.

• May 02, 2012

Intrusion of space spark tension. Power failure cause many hiccups in everyday life. Quite a good thriller in another form but ending seems to be abrupt. The opening sequence is a long continue shot of different strangers interaction that cause slight tension. Kyle MacLachlan & Elisabeth Shue left the cinema and returning home, their baby girl is having fever. At night the whole town encounter power failure. Next morning, the fever is worse and power not restored. Kyle drive to the supermart to get medicine but is deny by pharmacist for not having a prescription. Even the hospital deny him. So he return back to the store and steal the medicine. Their friend Dermot Mulroney visits them and said about looting and chaos out there. Elisabeth ask him to stay with them for the time being. He suggest to buy a gun for protection and Kyle also agree even though he hate guns. They bought a shotgun at triple the price. Actually both guys don't really see eye to eye. Drinking alcohol at home, Elisabeth told Dermot about Kyle stealing the medicine and he isn't happy about it. While asleep, Dermot wakes them up and says someone broke into the house. The burglar is in the kitchen and they ambush him outside the garage. He is going to leave but the neighbor Bill Smitrovich shot the burglar with his rifle. He know the guy only got a switchblade but still kills him. Bill quickly plant a gun into the burglar hand. The cops came and Kyle has to lie for him. Neighbors held a meeting to suggest how to defend their area and it didn't work out for everyone is rather selfish. They are going to Elisabeth folks home way out of town and will need gas along the way. Elisabeth and Dermot kiss for awhile at night in kitchen and she quickly withdraw. At the petrol station, Michael Rooker stops by and ask Richard T. Jones for gas. He says no to him. When Dermot stops the car for refuel, there's another car at the side of the road and looks abandon. But Michael is resting inside. He ask if he can hitch their ride. Elisabeth didn't like it and Dermot saw a gun in his pocket. He signal to Kyle to reject him and escape fast later. Dermot get the shotgun but Michael shot him first. He only want the ride and steal their car drove off. They are all now stranded and Dermot is injured. Kyle teach Elisabeth how to use the shotgun and walks back to the farmhouse for help. The house belongs to Richard and he didn't help Kyle as story is far fetch and tension is high. Kyle go back to take the shotgun and return to the farmhouse, planing to steal the car. Both guys point their gun at each other and Richard's daughter came out. Kyle feels bad and leave his shotgun down and took the car key. Richard offer to drive him. Dermot load up to ambulance and finally peace is restored.