Tsotsi (Thug) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tsotsi (Thug) Reviews

½ February 28, 2016
Awesome soundtrack!!! Also, this movie made me very uncomfortable at times - which speaks a lot of the filmmakers because you can't be unaffected by this film.
½ February 7, 2016
South African film based on the book of the same name. Based on a character called Tsotsi a young criminal in the shanty town/townships of Johannesburg.
Tsotsi has no decency at the start of yhe film involved in fatal muggings, shootings, theft and the inadvertent abduction of a baby.
His extreme methods even shock some of his fellow gang members.
We see Tsotsi attempt to look after the baby instead of returning it to its rich Johannesburg parents.
I swear that after seeing the poverty in the townships that I challenge anybody to question living standards here.
The FIFA World Cup competition staged in South Africa in 2010 completely airbrushed it.
The film uses the language of the townships as well as Afrikaans traditionally associated with the country.
I never knew such language differences existed to be honest.
In fact I am still in a state of shock at the real poverty displayed not the Hollywood version in District 9.
½ November 30, 2015
Painfully bad. Almost unwatchably amateurish.
October 30, 2015
Although it paints an intriguing tale of redemption given its rather unlikable protagonist, TSOTSI ultimately suffers from an awkward pace that often stymies the momentum while raising too many questions regarding believability. Gavin Hood directs newcomer Presley Chweneyagae to a difficult and bravura performance - the best part of the film - but the film's strength in its title character of Tsotsi eventually becomes its biggest weakness: the entire plot never surpasses its risky premise, both redemption and forgiveness are not earned for Tsotsi (and viewers), and the film fails to bring enough to invoke sympathy. Just when we are about to be drawn in, the tone either takes a phony shift or a character's action withdraws the intensity - a shame considering its strong first act.
April 21, 2015
An intense emotional drama on redemption with an unforgettable performance by Presley Chweneyagae.
December 27, 2014
This movie is a rare gem that combines a great story with great acting; it is a pleasure from soundtrack to cinematography, and everything inbetween. The main character (the acting is fantastic) has shut himself off from emotion in order to survive; he's had a difficult time in life. He's cold & calculating, yet as a gang leader, he tries to look out for his own. Everything changes when he stumbles by accident across innocence, in the form of a baby found in the backseat of a car he steals. What made him shut himself off from the world was losing a dog he loved but couldn't save. Now, years later, he's presented with another innocent creature - this one's fate depends entirely on him, and he can't ignore that...yet won't succumb to it immediately either. So begins his struggle; he resists feeling again, yet can't help feeling again. He wants to give the baby up, yet doesn't want to. As he faces this delimma, there are others to deal with, involving the other characters around him. Ultimately, his reason for existing becomes about more than just existing. However, this is far from a sappy, heartworming story. It's full of an appropriate amount of grit, people forced to accept the unacceptable, grey ambiguities as opposed to black and white clarities, and harsh realities. But, it's realism is part of what makes this movie so enjoyable.
December 12, 2014
This is a film whose star seems to have faded since it's Foreign Language Film Oscar win. In many ways, it's a trite melodrama dressed up as a gritty bit of neorealism. It's pretty good as trite melodramas go, but it's tough to see what the hype was about.
½ November 25, 2014
Unimpressed critics comment that if this were an American film, it would receive little attention. I agree, but I like this film for that reason; it is about a complex character's life in a different part of the world and is therefore interesting to me. It's also from an inside perspective, being directed by a South African, and I see that as a good testament to the authenticity of the film's message.
½ November 5, 2014
a nice try with little results
October 19, 2014
A fairly easy setup but ladened with powerful performances and many deep sociological undertones, Tsotsi proves that a simple and somewhat generic story-arc can still be applied successfully to many situations.
½ August 3, 2014
Not your typical gangster film. It's no City of God, but a decent morality tale in its own right.
May 28, 2014
The brutality and squalor of Johannesburg's urban slums is powerfully conveyed through Presley Chweneyagae's remarkable and emotionally telling performance, but a strong belief in the human spirit is present too.
½ May 1, 2014
While not reaching the heights of other 'life in the slum' movies (e.g. City of God), 'Tsoti' is a solid addition to the genre with its profound story portraying plenty of powerful, emotive scenes. More depth to the dialogue and the setting would have pushed it up to the next level.
½ April 3, 2014
A pretty good film that analyzes the society of South Africa, conflating it wider with Africa and showing how much redemption is desperately in need in this part of the world.
March 24, 2014
it is a beauitful movie with a meaning about people; everone has a good and bad side to them dont only look at one... the ending has upset me though not a good one. BUT overall the MOVIE is AMAZING!!!
½ March 17, 2014
A beautiful story of redemption. Tsee Tsotsi even if you're not big on foreign films. I think it translates to any culture at any time.
March 15, 2014
Film d'origine sud-africaine ayant remporter l'Oscar du meilleur film étranger en 2006, Tsotsi est un film émouvant , racontant la redemption d'un jeune entouré de violence dans les quartiers pauvres de Johannesburg. Presley Chweneyagae offre une excellente performance
½ March 1, 2014
This is a solid little critic proof film. I think the story needed a little more but it was definitely very well directed. Its the kind of movie thats good but will never change your life.