Us Reviews

• 5d ago

A few good moments of tension but it took a turn for the worse.

A few good moments of tension but it took a turn for the worse.

• Sep 25, 2022

Kinda disappointed, the story was okay but the concept was just awful. I mean doppelgangers invading earth, like thats ridiculous

• Sep 24, 2022

The best film from the director with a great twist. (Must watch twice to appreciate the film)

• Sep 23, 2022

Na minha opinião, o filme mais superestimado do Jordan Peele e que menos funciona como obra. Se tirarmos a alegoria, esse filme fica simplesmente sem pé nem cabeça, apesar de ter cenas de suspense extremamente bem construídas e uma sólida atmosfera de terror (porque afinal, é o Jordan Peele). Acontece que se alguém não pegar esses contextos sociais e raciais que ele propõe (nessa obra, mais do que em qualquer uma), o filme não funciona de modo geral. Sim, ainda é um bom entretenimento e ainda é bom tecnicamente, mas não chega nem perto das outras obras do diretor, e muito menos de ser uma obra prima como alguns pintam.

• Sep 17, 2022

A thing of beauty - with a major flaw that reveals itself in the final act and then ripples back, revealing a fault line that runs through the whole story. You're going to have to decide if that flaw will ruin this for you or if you can ignore it and enjoy the ride. The level of disbelief that Mr. Peele asks the audience to suspend, all the questions that the big reveal leaves us with and that Peele asks us not to wonder about - it left me feeling frustrated. But I've watched it a few times now, and the riveting performances within it, the masterfully fluid shifts in tone; I can't help but love this. I've decided to love it for what it is instead of resenting it for what it might've been.

• Sep 16, 2022

Another criminally overrated film by a criminally underwhelming filmmaker.

Another criminally overrated film by a criminally underwhelming filmmaker.

• Sep 16, 2022

(Spoilers) I liked Jordan Peele's movie Nope, so I had high expectations. But Us is just a basic slasher movie. The doppelganger stuff doesn't make the fights, chases, or kills different than a regular home invasion movie. And anyway, the doppelganger concept is half-baked. I'm not even mad about the "how"s. Just the "why"s -- like why did ballet trigger the revolution?

• Sep 15, 2022

One of the creepier movies I've seen in a while.

One of the creepier movies I've seen in a while.

• Sep 12, 2022

I've never seen someone re-invent themselves in their 40's like Jordan has. If this movie strikes upon one true thing, it's that real life people can change their identity when it suits them. The movie was a self-important sludge fest with no real point. I'm sure the point was something "racial" but I don't think Jordan or his team ever really figured it out. It's a bore to sit through and a waste of an intriguing idea. Can we all move on from this little saga and explore new territory, please?

• Sep 11, 2022

I think the failure in this film is the miscue of exposition. Not enough was explained, and what was explained, by the antagonist in long lazy monologues, didn't answer nearly all the questions and too predictably misdirected. As a suspense film it hits most of the right marks, and Peele takes a page from the book of Shyamalan, but too much was SAID, not enough SHOWN to make it exciting for the viewer. Its a lazy writing convention, these long monologues. For example in the Sixth Sense, Shyamalan deftly shows us just enough throughout the film to make the end twist rock our senses, he didn't rely on long speeches to explain the character histories. The idea for 'Us' was sound. The story was interesting. The execution was clumsy.