Vicky Cristina Barcelona - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vicky Cristina Barcelona Reviews

½ March 18, 2017
Expressed in such a sexy, agile and rhythmically appropriate way, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" by the experienced Woody Allen brings to us one of the most fresh and romantic tragicomedies that had not been in his movies for a long time. Consolidating a work that is enjoyable in every sense, rich in good content, and performances that fit perfectly with what Allen intended to portray, the story is broad in originality, abundant in cultural elements that make you fall in love with Barcelona and the Spanish way of life, to the point that for a moment you want to disconnect from your reality wishing to go there. Love as a experiential concept is provided in a way that draws different nuances, intensities and combinations that make us distinguish the types of affect that can be felt and the fragility to which they are subject. The life lessons that the characters receive in just one summer, will be unforgettable and will remain completely in them: these events, with their ups and downs, represent teachings that sometimes even in a life are not reached, so it becomes the perfect movie to challenge your own emotions, makes you relax and lets to be amazed with all the power that this ingenious feature has to offer. 93/100
½ March 2, 2017
Open world, open world, open screenry. Open lodging when its free and open freely travel. Taking in the open space, open waters, open kitchens, tourist attractions and open entertainment we cant help but be open. Open gossip, open celebrations, open eyes to not miss out on anything. When we are open about anything, when we are upfront with what we want. When we are open with our views when we know what we want and like. When being open it has its advantages and disadvantages when both are openly - closed in different ways. When opening a bottle of wine we naturally are more open. When open mindedness is whom we are, when we are not judgmental. When we are not open in other ways when our stomach is not so open to the idea. When we are open, when we have a poetic soul. When we see the world with eyes wide open, we are open to just about anything. When we like a person whom is like an open book, that wouldn't mind closing one chapter for another if the open opportunity presents itself. When we are the Centre of attention, we have an open floor to perform. When we have opened up too much to open wide the deal. When our mind races and our eyes are wide open and awake that we can't get some people off our mind. When others are open to the idea of being together forever and staying close, but we have doubts. When we like the open space and openness, we naturally are open to the thought of staying. When in Barcelona, there are plenty fun things like open parks to enjoy. When we are opening a whole new world and life we never explored, that we thought we would be the one. When we are openly just lying, to get those away and create an open road with others. When we are preparing for opening gifts, we just can't accept. When opening our heart and soul, we are open to love or sex. When we are closed minded when others are opening up about others. When we speak a different language and not quite open to everyone knowing what we say. When we are open to different languages but not the sound of someone else speaking it. When we are open to company, but not open marriage. When we don't trust we naturally open up a can of worms and luggage to see whom this person says, whom she says she is. When we are naturally the Centre of attention and a open subject. When we are open mixing modern with traditional. When others are open to professionals whom keep things confidenhtial. When opening up means we feel good, feel rotten, or just glad that it is out there. When being open with exploring our sexuality means we are venturing into world's we haven't explorer ed and don't know where we would end up, what's going to happen, or what to do next once we know. When once we are open, we can't go back. When opening up, we learn things we never knew, we see ourselves in other people. When we are open to the thought of sharing is a good thing, when others have profound experience and much to teach, that we are open minded to being inspired through them to catch up. When being open, we are constantly taking what we want and sucking in more thoughts, ideas, views and expressions that we are never satisfied. When being open to the thought, the only thing that can go wrong is when things get sour that we want out. When being open to thought we look at comforts now, and whether they are able to be sustained for a long period, or do we crave exploration for something new.
½ February 28, 2017
After re watching this recently, I absolutely love everything about this film. The characters, especially Penelope Cruz who was hauntingly beautiful in her portrayal as Marie Elena. The cast was so well chosen and acted it's an inspiring tale of love, adventure and making lasting vs fleeting choices. The script and Allens directing style and flow so well from scene to scene. The one that stood out was when Juan Antonios chance encounter with Vicki at the Gaudie museum he says only unfulfilled love can be romantic. That stood out because it's the principle in which the whole film surrounds.
½ February 16, 2017
Menyaksikan film ini bukanlah menjadi sesuatu yang merugikan, karena hanya di film ini, penonton dapat melihat kualitas akting yang luar biasa dari Penélope Cruz.
December 22, 2016
Woody's an acquired taste, this easier than some others. Cute, entertaining, lean, & beautiful in Spain - cast & scenery! And he's on location! Notice how 'becca Hall sounds as though she's doing an impression of Woody in some of her speeches, no doubt unintentional but just from being around him! There're 2 Javiers on this pic, one behind the lens doing a nice job capturing the ambiance.
November 30, 2016
Woody Allen's back to top form with this one! On Blu-ray.
October 17, 2016
Woody Allen's 2008, Vicky Cristina Barcelona is a modern day look into the heated, yet romantic faerie tale that a summer spent in Spain may evoke. The picturesque scenery and relatable characters make the film enjoyable. Allowing the audience to just relax without requiring much thinking on their part
Two unlikely friends, Vicky (Rebecca Hall) and Cristina (Scarlett Johansson), arrive in Barcelona set to spend the summer with Vicky's aunt and uncle. The audience learns from the narrator that Vicky enjoys structure and stability in all aspects of life. Vicky plans to use the summer doing research for her major in Catalan studies, and upon her return is set to marry in the fall. Cristina on the other hand, likes adventure and any new thrill. As a failed short filmmaker, Cristina hopes to find a new love that can spark some creativity for her, over the summer. Cristina only staying satisfied until her familiar stirring calls and she gets the urge to move on.
Some relatable characters arise out of this film, like Cristina. Cristina and her carefree, live for the thrill way of life can resonate with those that posses a sense of adventure. Late one evening while dining, Vicky and Cristina come across Juan Antonio (Javier Bardem). He's a sultry Catalan painter, who has questionable behaviors. Juan Antonio approaches Vicky and Cristina making this suggestion, " I'd be honored if you'd both accompany me to Oviedo for the weekend. I will show you some beautiful sites, we can dine together and enjoy good food and wine, and then we can make love." (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) The girls having just been informed earlier about Juan Antonio's possible violent divorce, from his fiery, artistic ex-wife, Maria Elena (Penelope Cruz). Vicky instantly cautious puts up her guard. Cristina, even with her knowledge about Juan Antonio, is still curious and very willing to go.
Vicky and her fiancé Doug (Chris Messina) discuss their dislike of Cristina's free-loving, spirited personality. Vicky telling Doug, "She sometimes gets on my nerves with her crack-pot love affairs." Doug stating," Cristina's annoying, with her forever-unsatisfied struggle artist image. Her contempt with normalcy in a relationship is nothing more than a boring cliché." (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) Doug and Vicky soon rethink that discussion after meeting with Cristina for lunch one afternoon. Cristina describes to her friends the beautiful lovemaking that occurred with her and Maria Elena one day. How it was just a passing moment. That Cristina didn't feel the need to label. Vicky and Doug both remarking and asking question to her story. Both enthralled on the lure and luster of the tale
The Spanish guitar can be heard throughout various parts of the film. Casting a calming, yet seductive spell over its listeners. Possible making them go against their morals. Proven in this scene when Vicky is forced to dine alone with Juan Antonio one evening. Vicky anxiously ends a phone call from her fiancé. Juan Antonio somewhat puzzled by her actions, "Why were you so nervous just now on the phone?" (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) Vicky would blame it all on the wine, and seducing sounds from the Spanish guitar player. No matter the excuses Vicky relaxes enough, for her to sleep with Juan Antonio. That moment leaves Vicky still feeling anxious and a bit puzzled by her actions.
Some find music to be nothing more than a distraction. Witnessed in a scene one night when Vicky and Doug are dining with a friend couple of his. The music starts playing and Vicky becomes slightly disengaged from the tables' conversation. Isn't that the beauty of music though, its ability to mesmerize and transport listeners, even if it's just for a brief moment in time? Vicky is over come by the music and feeling so completely relaxed, that she zones out. Just like that listening to the sound of music can re-spark a memory. Vicky is taken back to that night spent with Juan Antonio.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona is like watching a travel brochure come to life. Allowing visitors or in this case its viewers to experience all that Barcelona has to offer. The setting and backdrop of the film is just beautiful. Offering activities like strolling along cobblestone streets. Viewing buildings designed from famed artists like Gaudi. Leisurely afternoon picnics in the country hillsides and late night dinner's in one of Barcelona's many quant cafes. Roger Ebert had this to say about Barcelona, "Allen gives us a tour of the glories of Barcelona, the city of Gaudi and Miro, the excuse being that Juan Antonio is showing the girls the sites. As Hollywood learned long ago, there's nothing like a seductive location to lend interest to whatever is happening in the foreground."
In the end, Vicky and Cristina make their travel back home. While walking to the plane you see them gazing forward and possible wondering, is there a fine line between wants and desires. Does the audience need more of a conclusion, or is left pondering well enough. According to Roger Ebert's review, he had this to say about the film, "The actors are attractive, the city magnificent, the love scenes don't get all sweaty and everybody finishes the summer a little wiser, and with a lifetime of memories. What more could you ask." No matter what's left to ponder, the audience can surely agree Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona provides a majestic lore into Spanish culture with its majestic scenery and tranquil sounds. . Taking its viewers on a Catalan mini vacation, that only a summer spent in Barcelona can provide.
½ September 21, 2016
Originally told and beautifully shot, Vicky Cristina Barcelona is a charming love story that benefits from a very talented cast and an ispiring spanish atmosphere, that makes it even more romantic.
½ September 13, 2016
Enjoyed Javier Bardem's & Penelope Cruz' performances very much. The scenes of Woody Allen's view of Spain are stunning. And the music is superb. I enjoyed it.
½ September 5, 2016
The cast is amazing but the movie is not. I really liked Rebecca Hall, and this would be the picture to earn Penelope Cruz an Oscar, but I felt the narration really bogged down the picture. There is a bit of pretentiousness, which I understand was the intention, but it doesn't add to much in terms of a layered film, just a sort of distraction. I don't consider it one of Allen's better later pictures.
August 28, 2016
Looks pretty. But that's about the limit of its appeal. A fine advert for Barcelona, rather less so for the supposed comic talents of Mr Allen as a scriptwriter.
½ August 19, 2016
Aunque en el fondo nos sentimos seducidos por lo que vemos, no puedo pasar por alto lo poco verosímil que me resulta, incluso para la estética de Woody Allen. Una película para deleitarse con el juego de los afectos y el placer, pero muy superficial en la construcción de sus relaciones.
August 2, 2016
Fantastic movie with great acting and a very thought provoking image of love and lust. Very interesting movie. I loved it
July 17, 2016
Trite entertainment created by, about, and for the %1.
July 15, 2016
My second favorite Woodie allen movie (Match Point being #1) this is a very well written and well acted, tragic romantic comedy starring Barcelona in all its glory. Maybe to much Woodie for many, but i love it.
½ July 9, 2016
Woody Allen magnificently combines magical landscapes, wonderful music and satisfying performances in a pleasant film. The script is decent without much to say but the direction and scenery got my attention from the beginning, along with Rebecca Hall. The supporting cast is also good, with the excellent Patricia Clarkson at the helm. Josep Maria Domenech was also very good. Undoubtedly "Vicky, Christina, Barcelona" is an entertaining study on human relationships.
½ June 29, 2016
I really like this movie... Hall, Johannson, Bardem, Cruz were all quite wonderful... surprisingly, I still can't believe how much I enjoyed this film.
½ May 19, 2016
Woody Allen's sexually charged Vicky Cristina Barcelona is definitely a showcase of the three leading ladies and their definite affirmed acting skills. Penelope Cruz is definitely the best out of both of them, her performance both confident and relaxed. Music is great as usual in a Woody Allen film, boasting an impressive score as well as OST. Unfortunately its a little boring at times and is basically a retread of some of his other works. Barcelona is beautiful though and this film definitely highlights that.
May 15, 2016
Light, fun summer entertainment with an edge because it's a Woody Allen movie. All of the characters are uber intelligent (obviously) and they all have their quirks & flaws. This was the best Scarlett Johansson has ever been, and Rebecca Hall who played Vicky stole the whole movie. Top notch acting, an engaging script, and smooth pacing made this one of the best summer movies!