Waiting for Superman Reviews

• Nov 21, 2018

O.K., finally Waiting for Superman; my teacher assigned this documentary so we could discuss it. The way I watch this movie is have it play in the background while I play iphone games or have it play in the background while I do important shit. The documentary was o.k. The message was, our public-school system is fucked, and we got to fix it. Like, do you need a couple of hours to send that message. I think like a 15-30 minute infomercial would've done the job. The documentary wasn't anything special. Just a basic semi-boring documentary. This is the information, here you go. So, the movie starts out with this black guy talking about Superman. He's watching Superman and his mom fucking tells him Superman doesn't exist. He's fucking devastated, and has a great fear of who is going to help him in time of need. He grows up, sees how fucked up the school system is, and he is waiting for superman to save the public-school system. In that process, he becomes superman because the real superman is never coming. Shit in one hand and hope in the other and see which one fills up faster. So, he knows what's wrong with the school system, and he tries to go fix it. But at every turn, it is unfixable and runs into a dead end every time. The school system is inherently flawed and designed not to be fixed. We are all kind of fucked. It's like, the system is so ingrained, like 10 miles of roots underneath the ground. To fix the problem, you got to uproot all those 10 miles of roots underneath the ground, which is difficult and near impossible. Meanwhile, our kids are eating shit and becoming more stupider, while China beats the shit out of us with their army of anti-social nerds. To be honest, was kind of a depressing video that makes you think you can't win and makes you just want to give up even before you start to try. The day of the class we got into groups. My group consisted of 3 other dudes, unlucky. One of the guys asked, "Hey, did any of you really watch the movie?" I like how he added the word really. Turns out I was the only motherfucker who actually watched the movie. So, I'm sitting there explaining what the fucking movie was about. Then I preceded to basically carry my group and do the mini-group project, semi-bullshitly. Whatever, you use what you got and run with it. Funny thing was, I'm pretty sure about 95% of the class didn't watch the movie either based on their bullshit presentations. Don't bullshit a bullshitter. pokergladiator.wordpress.com

• Apr 23, 2018

Waiting for 'Superman' Directed By: Davis Guggenheim Starring: The Black Family, Geoffrey Canada and The Esparza Family Plot: Filmmaker Davis Guggenheim reminds us that education "statistics" have names: Anthony, Francisco, Bianca, Daisy, and Emily, whose stories make up the engrossing foundation of WAITING FOR SUPERMAN. As he follows a handful of promising kids through a system that inhibits, rather than encourages, academic growth, Guggenheim undertakes an exhaustive review of public education, surveying "drop-out factories" and "academic sinkholes," methodically dissecting the system and its seemingly intractable problems. Review: This Documentary is great. It shows how our public school is failing and shows possible ways to fix it but also says that there may be no chance without the current system being changed. I feel this movie is a great watch makes you really think what could have been if your school did a better job preparing you. It also makes you really think what you'd do and what you should so. Rating: 7/10 Recommendation: Rent it is worth seeing. Available on Netflix.

• Apr 16, 2018

An excellent account of the American public education system, Waiting for Superman both convinces the audience of its point with hard numbers, while concurrently introducing anecdotal stories to capture the viewer's heart.

• Sep 15, 2017

Explains well the faults in US education system.

Explains well the faults in US education system.

• Dec 08, 2016

I'm not sure how I missed this film given my wonkish tastes, but I heard the director, Davis Guggenheim discussing it on my fave new podcast by David Axelrod so thought it was time to catch up. I'm a true believer in the power of education and passionate about encouraging all young people to do their best, find what they love, and reach as high as they can. This film made me weep - children waiting in a hall to see if they have, literally, won in a bizarre public lottery to get access to a school that can help them do that. Broken systems, failed experiments, generations of young people left on the scrap heap in what experts call "dropout factories". The film is not without it critics, and deservedly so, and the solutions posed have also been shown to be highly controversial, and patchy in their success. There are no easy answers. But in the end, setting all that aside, these kids will grab you and then break your heart. You so want them to be get the chance to do the best they can. And not all of them will have their number come up. Absolute heartbreaker.

• Nov 11, 2016

Waiting for Superman is a gripping documentary. It is about parents send their children off to school with the highest of hopes. Charles Adams and Jonathan Alter give amazing performances. The script is good but a little in places. Davis Guggenheim did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed it because of the drama. Waiting for Superman is a must see.

• May 04, 2016

Excellent doc on the truly pathetic state of the education system in the USA. It's actually quite sad when you really shed some light on it.

• Nov 21, 2015

I am still reeling from this film; I watched it tonight. To watch the disappointment in families eyes when they lost the lottery... unforgettable. Juxtaposed with the teachers in New York receiving a paycheck in "rubber rooms"; what a crime (thank goodness the reassignment centers have been closed). I feel a renewed interesting in pushing for better education everywhere. Working with kids from all walks of life, I never cease to be amazed at their intelligence, hope and potential. I hope we can create a better educational system in this country.

• Mar 20, 2015

I know it's an American problem but with how closely Canada tries to emulate America, it's only a matter of time before this begins to bleed into Canada.

• Dec 30, 2014

This Waiting For Superman movie is sad! Yes parts are embellished n stuff but the serious is not a lie...