Waterworld - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waterworld Reviews

November 11, 2016
"Waterworld" is basically "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" mixed with a waterpark stunt show...and while the action things are goofy, big, bombastic and somewhat fun...they do not make up for the many long boring scenes in between of Kevin Costner telling people not to touch stuff on his boat. Movie failed to really capture me for the most part. A big expensive mess.
October 30, 2016
Great movie love all the action.
Just like Mad Max 1 and 2.
And the new Mad Max.
Who knows maybe a few hundred years from now it might happen to the world.
Seen the movie many times a year. When i get bored of most movies i watch it again and again.

Love that type of movies need more of it.
There is a story to it that i dont think a lot of people see it.
Great actors to the movie also. Fits the parts very well.
½ August 28, 2016
The film, visually is enjoyable, it should be considering its legendary bloated budget. The whole world its set in has potential but the problem lies in the fact that the story is underwhelming with a number of small plot holes and acting (besides the always joyously over-the-top Dennis Hopper) is bland. Costner acts like he doesn't want to be there, or even cares and Majorino's performance is a like a female Jake Lloyd. Its an ok film but considering how much time, effort and money put into it, it should have been better. Its worth watching for the sake of guilty pleasure movies but not much else.
August 24, 2016
The first 50 minutes are surprisingly enjoyable. Indeed the production values and the villain actors remain entertaining throughout. And the world building of Waterworld is well implemented, even if the scripting could use improvement. Unfortunately there's a lot of stupid and dull moments as the film continues.
½ August 13, 2016
An expensive Mad Max like film that ends up being too uninteresting, though it's a pleasure to watch the scenere, real made decorations, devices, etc.
July 7, 2016
This is one of my all time favorite movies. Yes, it is a little cheesy, but I haven't found any movie that has come close to a concept like this that can even touch this movie!
May 12, 2016
This was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. And even now there's a certain sense of nostalgic charm to it.
½ May 4, 2016
Some interesting ideas and set pieces but doesn't make out fur the underdeveloped script.
April 21, 2016
Waterworld (1995) ???
Rock solid adventure spectacle with Costner in a (what else?) post-apocalyptic world completely covered in water. He meets with a desperate woman and her child and tries to help them find dry land, but like all these sorts of movies, there's hungry savages creating parallel every step of the way. Pokey-too pokey-at times, and leads to an inconclusive ending, but amazing set-design and dazzling stunt work keep it afloat (no pun intended). There's also a wonderfully amusing turn by Dennis Hopper as the head bad guy.
½ March 22, 2016
Waterworld is a decent futuristic action picture with some great sets, some intriguing ideas, and a few images that will stay with me. The script doesn't do a great job with either the spiritual or the physical trek, but the spectacular action sequences occur with enough regularity that strong writing isn't necessary to keep Waterworld afloat.
Waterworld really doesnt deserve all the hate it's getting, it's by no means a great movie because of the over exposition script, some ridiculous scenes, and illogical things happening, but aside from that it is very entertaining with some intriguing ideas, awesome set (pieces), and a ver solid post-apocalyptic movie.
The movie cost a whopping 200 million, which is a massive amount by today's standard and let alone 1995''s standards. 200 million went down the drain, but not completely, as this film isn't a total disaster. However, it sure doesn't satisfy like 200 million dollar entertainment. Production design is top notch, and combined with some good special FX and sets, the money is definetaly on the screen. However, the story's off, and that's probably why the film didn't gross. After a promising battle in the beginning, albeit a little silly, once they're adrift on the mariner's ship, the film drags. The characters don't have any depth, they just do what they do. The smokers, you don't even know why they do what they do. Outside of finding dryland, there's little focus in the plot, and ultimately the parts don't quite add up to something a 200 million dollar budget should deliver.
The only real problem this movie suffers from is that it lacks balance. It tries to be a serious movie about the hardships of life on this aquatic world only to shift gears and become a childish action flick when the bad guys get their screen time. But, there's so much to like here. The movie looks and sounds great with good attention to details and the sets, especially the atoll, are stunning. The story is interesting enough and at times the movie is emotional and funny, so it engages the viewer. I have watched the film a couple of times and I was never bored.

Give Waterworld a second chance people, it really isnt that bad...

EDIT: Waterworld also spawned probably the coolest live show in the world, at Universal Studio's in L.A, the Waterworld show is incredible!
½ February 22, 2016
I think this gets a little bit overly panned. It was a basically good action flick. Nothing too deep, but for what it was, just fine.
February 12, 2016
Ok it wasn't THAT bad, but it was kind of dumb and ripped off a whole bunch of other movies. And the characters weren't well developed and THINGS kept on HAPPENING! Plus our protagonist was an emotionless asshole. Also Kevin Costner has the acting talent of a rock. It was mildly entertaining, and despite being one the the biggest flops ever, it has grown a bit of a cult following (either that or it's many peoples guilty pleasure dirty secret).
½ January 6, 2016
In Waterworld, Kevin Costner's Mariner character is not the most likeable guy (especially after you see how he treats Enola and Helen on his boat), although he progresses. He starts out as an extremely ruthless loner, but eventually decides to be friends, not before he has taken away a little girls crayons, thrown Enola into the ocean (apparently not to kill but to punish), and chopped both of their hair short as punishment for disobedience. To top it all off, he sells Helen! Then he changes his mind and tells the buyer the deal is off, and changing his mind is a turning point. From then on, he's their friend. When Enola gets stolen by the Smokers, he goes to get her back. Enola comes to see the Mariner as a father figure apparently, because when he finally leaves, she gives him a hug goodbye.

The "Smokers", led by Dennis Hopper as Deacon, are very stylized. In a world with very little resources available anymore to humans, how is it that the Smokers can waste so much oil on all their naughty shenanigans? Just wondering.

It's kind of funny that just about everybody in Waterworld is depicted as a pirate. Given the opportunity to take something, they take it, and that's how they all seem to survive.

The Mariner is not quite human. He's evolved into an icthyosapien, or fish human, with gills and webbed feet. This enables him to swim down to the sea floor and show us what is under the water: lost cities. Is this a warning?

Waterworld is rather unrealistic, but I do like the creativity of it. I was inspired to do a little research to find out if Earth could be that covered with water if the polar ice caps and glaciers were to melt. The answer is a reassuring no, not even close. Sure, some places would go under, but not to the extent of Waterworld.
December 29, 2015
Fuck it, I like Waterworld!
½ December 13, 2015
So bad it's...kind of good?
½ December 13, 2015
I sometimes wonder if I am subconsiously going against the hype or if the hype is usually wrong. I heard that this was a bad film. It really isn't, it's a very impressive film. OK, the decision to cast Kevin Costner as the hero was always going to be questioned but he didn't do badly at all. Perhaps the real failure of this film was only financial as it was so expensive to make. The box-office figures are 99% down to marketing and 1% down to how good the film is and I will never judge a movie on it's profit.
November 29, 2015
A fun adventure movie with a straightforward plot, interesting characters, and an epic soundtrack from John Newton Howard. After reading reviews I went into this movie with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised to really enjoy it. I will definitely be holding on to this DVD and watching it again in the future. If you are looking for a bit of escapism this will do the trick.
November 27, 2015
I don't know why people hate this movie so much, I love it
November 22, 2015
Waterworld should have been Mad Max on the sea, but the edge is missing, and somehow the dirty look of everything seems a bit weird. Worth seeing once or twice for the action scenes alone though, and Kevin Costner's performance is terrific as always.
½ November 21, 2015
good sci-fi yarn when this was being filmed in Hawaii, I was there & was amazed each day they had 2 completely clean the beach and filming area was interesting watching the making of even better than and extras on the DVD.