Whale Rider Reviews

• Dec 25, 2018

Whale Rider is certainly nothing new in terms of its predictable, not particularly subtle storyline, but it's still very effective owing to the overall competent execution, direction and the fact that it was shot on real location led to its much needed authenticity. It's also a very moving, endearing film which is beautifully acted by young, deservedly Oscar-nominated Keisha Castle-Hughes.

• Oct 13, 2018

Great performance by Castle-Hughes and a depiction of the muted group theory

Great performance by Castle-Hughes and a depiction of the muted group theory

• Sep 09, 2018

A superb film that beautifully expresses a young girl's indigenous mystically spiritual contact with nature and the sea in the form of a whale, while she battles the gender bias of her patriarchal grandfather. His journey of her whole life in accepting his granddaughter's destiny is told in epic fashion. It's a movie even more empowering for young girls everywhere than a fantasy such a Wonder Woman can ever be!

• Aug 04, 2018

Heartwrenchingly beautiful and ultimately uplifting!??

Heartwrenchingly beautiful and ultimately uplifting!??

• Jul 26, 2018

A New Zealand Classic

A New Zealand Classic

• Mar 29, 2018

Good ratings, but you wouldn't know it from the comments posted below. Guess all the Super Reviewers are afraid to like a movie that makes them feel good. The family and cultural tension felt real to me. And I was a total sucker for the end. No shame.

• Mar 29, 2018

Amazingly charming movie and a peek into the Maori culture

Amazingly charming movie and a peek into the Maori culture

• Oct 28, 2017

Well made but I can't see it holding up to rewatching.

Well made but I can't see it holding up to rewatching.

• May 18, 2017

In terms of sheer emotional gravitas, Whale Rider is one hell of a movie. Castle-Hughes was so amazing she reduced me (a grown adult) to tears quite a few times during scenes where she had to constantly try and prove her worth amidst a male-centric Maori culture. The constant pin pricks into the cushion of our emotions can be a little draining but that said, it's one of the most wonderful movies to come out of Oceania.

• Apr 10, 2017

The movie was truly a spiritual masterpiece...

The movie was truly a spiritual masterpiece...