Where the Wild Things Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Where the Wild Things Are Reviews

½ September 24, 2016
Imaginative with incredible animations, but the film is actually rather dark for a children's movie...overall 2.5 Stars
September 8, 2016
Where the Wild Things Are is a beautifully told story featuring a troubled boy who runs away from his family and stumbles across odd and strangely charming creatures. I read the source material only once as a child and I honestly didn't remember much from it, but the film did an excellent job of being heartfelt and not too corny at the same time. I absolutely loved the visuals in this one, they were all unique and very well done. The acting was superb, espically from the boy, Max. I think audiences might have had a hard time accepting this one as easily as the critics did because the film takes itself much more seriously than any film based off a children's book really should, but I found it to be both fascinating and uncompromisingly blunt in its overall message. Filled with heartwarming moments, and a simple, yet strong story at its core, Where the Wild Things Are is a film I am glad I saw.
September 8, 2016
I only saw part of it and did not enjoy this movie I was bored with it. I like the book better not the movie
½ August 29, 2016
A multi-layered movie from the extremely talented Spike Jonze, Where the Wild Things Are is a bleak yet beautiful portrait of many different themes that may, in the end, resonate with adults more than children (and I mean this in a good way).
½ August 9, 2016
"Where the Wild" has a very striking beginning, not only for those who has a child alone, but also so that was a brother or older sister who neglected her brother or father who can not give the necessary attention to child (a), it really grabs the viewer, much also for the great performance of Max Records, we all knew that the film it was not solely that, but he had an adventure behind, although at some point the message that the film passes is confused, Spike Jonze script is linear, photography of the film is great, as the characterizations of the monsters as fear and at the same time not really are great, as the soundtrack is also good mixing children's songs the melancholic, "Where the Wild Things are" is a film average to good, but it is beautiful to see, shows the world's view of a child without friends, about friendship, about the importance of family residence, and technically it it is also good (do not understand why there are so many negative reviews), is not a children's film is a film for you help learn how to interpret all the feelings that they have, do not watch "Where the monsters live" hoping to have a cinematic experience or a life lesson, watch for fun and have a different view about people, their relationships and the world.

Forgive my English by google translator.
July 23, 2016
A beautifully done adaptation of a whimsical children's book. A children's movie that touches on the tougher parts of childhood
July 5, 2016
It can definitely be off putting. It explores some good themes, but it's very strange.
June 28, 2016
This movie was a fantastical depiction of the troubles of growing up and loneliness through an adventure in fear, wonder, anger, helplessness, love, and acceptance. Beautiful crafted with an spot-on soundtrack by Karen O that perfectly captures the raw energy and wild essence of the movie
June 26, 2016
When our monsters are not as scary, angry or big as we are. We don't understand why it's hard for others to understand us. Sometimes we don't even understand ourselves. Our emotions, characters, stories, imagination all have hidden meanings towards them. We a greater then others think and see who we are, but we continue to believe. We live this enriched high life, because being who we are, is less powerful. If we could just grasp at this raging emotion we have deep within, take control of them, and altogether just be 1 again with ourselves. While we have this dangerous side deep within, are we really that dangerous in real life. Are what things known to dangerous really dangerous, or misunderstood. What harnesses or suppresses this dangerous side only we know. What makes normal people harder to relate to, but strange creatures much more easier. When we see ourselves not in the image of these creatures but how they act and feel. How we see these creatures so alone in the forest, but together, we see they are nothing like us. When we see these creatures craving for attention, craving for fun and adventure, craving for a family and friends. We run away from our problem, in search for a new place that solves our problem. These deep rage deep within, always wants to come out, so does our emotions. What if we got everything that we always wanted from the people we turned too. Are we truly who we say we are, if there is no one there to say you are. The things that make us who we are, what do we do when they are gone? Are we still that thing any more? A king with no people or crown? A monster with no teeth or danger? We have great expectations that far stretches those have ever seen or known. A kingdom for us to rule, feel big, be on top and be happy. Are we still monsters when we are unable to do monster things. When there is something that makes us less of a monster but a human that we exempt our true feelings and intentions to not disband peace and create chaos. We find it hard to accept those who are different and unlike us, that we wish for them to run away. Staying together is more important to others then some who like meeting new people. When we think we are big and a king, to have no plan, have bad decisions and crave this distrustive nature. When this distrustive nature stems from our past and chaos as we heard, lived with and witness. When disagreeing is what separates us all, that we can't help but need to distance ourselves from one another. When we come face to face with our monster, the vary thing that makes us hide, the vary thing we don't know anything about, the vary thing that makes us dangerous. We realize we have to leave our monsters behind us, be there for the ones who loved us, and wants us together. Our monsters will miss us when we are gone, older, smaryer, wiser, responsible always there waiting for when you return. There will always be a place for all our dark monsters to live and go too whenever we need to go there.
June 18, 2016
Where the Wild Things are is a movie thats based of the children's book of the same name. This movie is about a boy who after getting into an argument with his mother he runs off and discovers (imagines) an island full of Wild Things. This movie captures the essence of child hood perfectly. The monsters are a persona of each of Maxs feelings and situations and perfectly captures how a lot of us were and felt when we were younger. The movie is rather dark for a kids movie yet has its lighthearted moments but the movies color pallet has its dark colors which fits great with the movies tone of moody and depressing. This movie surprisingly has a lot of emotion behind it and had a lot of tear jerker moments. The visuals are excellent with cgi as well as puppetry that make up the creatures. Overall Its a good movie to watch if you were ever read the book as a child as well as just an al around entertaining and fun yet sad movie. While it doesn't exactly go beat by beat of what occurs in the books its none the less a good adaptation for kids of today to enjoy as well as the adults who were read the book in their youth. 4/5
May 26, 2016
Takes a simple and upbeat childrens book and makes it into a sentimental film only adults will understand.
½ April 13, 2016
Oh my goddess, I remember watching this film back in Freshman year when I had Spanish class and it was just absolutely boring and terrible.

I didn't understand the plot and the kid acting like an animal or whatever in the beginning of the film was just what the actual hell to me. Throughout the film, I wasn't even paying attention and I had to sketch doodles in order to kill much time. This movie was just ugh, horrible!

Not worth watching it again. It's too confusing and boring to me. Just dumb.
April 9, 2016
Spike Jones knows how to capture the essence of a trouble kid' s mind and his childhood. It is very well made!
½ April 5, 2016
I don't know about this one. I somehow understand the boy's anger at the beginning but found the wild things rather imbeciles and creepy from the start. plus the lies were just too big and silly to have me hang on the film. Probably too english psychopathic for me. Not sure it would be good for kids either.
March 27, 2016
centered around the beloved childrens classic book. This is NOT a happy movie. very angry at times and young children might find it disturbing
March 12, 2016
Where the Wild Things Are is based on the children's book by Maurice Sendak, directed and co-written by Spike Jonze, and it stars Max Records in a story adaptation about a crazy kid who got in a fight with his mom, he ran away, and got in a boat to sail away. He come across an island, filled with monsters, and when they come towards Max, he tells them that he's king, and they basically just do whatever they want. I remember watching this in probably my pre-teen years, and I actually did liked it, but I wasn't quite sure why although I remembered how it got dark which I was fine with and didn't get nightmares. So I was watching a Nostalgia Critic video about the film, and how some people didn't like it, so I got to watch it again, and it's actually better than I thought of it. Max Records is really good as a kid actor, and the actors who play the monsters like James Gandolfini, Lauren Ambrose, Chris Cooper, Forest Whitaker, and some others are great in it. The costumes and the effects are very real and creative looking, and the story is really well thought out, even if it's based on a 40 page book. I find it fascinating that the island that the main kid is in, is pretty much his imagination, or his childhood, coming to life, and the monsters were somewhat his consciousness, like how he thinks of these monsters as either part of himself, his mom, dad, or sister, which you are not quite sure what they really represent, but it leads to your interpretation of it which I'm glad that it did. There are some dark moments that the little kids are going to be scared of, but the film doesn't make it too dark that it'll start to scar them for life. The script by Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers is very well written and the direction by Spike Jonze is very good. Where the Wild Things Are is a fantastic movie that has the spirit of the book, and it makes me think that he should also do justice to Dr. Seuss books.
March 10, 2016
A very underrated film.
February 15, 2016
Spike Jonze has proven himself worthy of acclaim in the past with films like being john malkovich and adaptation and hes proven himself after with her but in my opinion this is his finest work. No other film in history that i have seen embodies so well the mind set of a child and how their feelings effect their imagination. Yes there are parts that make no sense but i feel that it is done intentionally because as kids we feel and do things that make no sense which is why this film is so ,incredible. It takes it's source material which is like a 30 or so page childrens book and develops this complex, dramatic, emotionally in tune film the portrays some of the most realistic emotions and characters ive ever seen. Kids may not know whats going on and probably not even most adults but if your an analytical human being that loves digging into peoples emotions or a film buff in general i cannot recommend this enough.
½ February 14, 2016
I rarely walk out of a film. Thankfully this was free on some movie channel and so when I stopped and deleted it I didn't feel guilty for wasting money, though I definitely had wasted my valuable time. I so enjoyed this book when I was a kid and loved the artwork, though I always thought Max was a total creep, and would've been happier if the monsters had eaten him (yes, that's what I thought even as a kid when I first read it). But this film adaptation, while amazingly accurate visually, was so slow, the dialogue unnecessarily dragged out, the action ridiculously slow, that I simply couldn't take it. I think I might've made it a little over a half hour before I shut it off out of sheer disgust.