White Fang (Croc-Blanc) Reviews

• Sep 07, 2019

The visuals in this film just do it all... The animation on the wolves is astounding and the landscape shots are something straight out of a Bob Ross painting, The music isn't prominent and you will sometimes notice some budget cuts but that wouldn't take away from the quality, the story is one of pain but none is shown (especially when needed) which is quite disappointing and annoying, but other than that this film is absolutely beautiful and I would 100% recommend it to any curious browsers of Netflix or if you somehow find it otherwise!

• Aug 06, 2019

The movies got beautiful animation, almost artistic. As for the story itself, it felt old school without anything new to offer, a bit slow and too serious for my taste. Only after watching the movie did I learn it is an adaptation from a 1906 novel which already has had several cinematic adaptations over the decades. I read the makers were true to the original source; well no wonder the movie was lacking the entertaining value for today's audience.

• Mar 21, 2019

The story of White Fang remains a classic and is told quite well. The supporting characters on the other hand, while sometimes great, often get overshadowed or ignored because White Fang as a character is so interesting.

• Jan 06, 2019

Well paced and very much a show don't tell kind of film. A strange choice of animation style, in my opinion, but it serves the story well.

• Oct 30, 2018

Great cartoon, in the tradition of the french be-de !

Great cartoon, in the tradition of the french be-de !

• Sep 22, 2018

Strengths: In my opinion, one of the best things any movie can excel at is wordless storytelling. A film like this had to rely on that aspect because the protagonist, White Fang, isn't a character who speaks. He is like any other animal and not treated as one we can magically understand. Yet, without uttering a single word, we feel connected to this character. When he goes through something tragic, we're on the verge of tears and when he triumphs, we feel pride. There is almost a non-stop barrage of tremendous non-verbal storytelling that makes this film special. The only character who speak are the humans and the main two or three are voiced by a strong cast. Nick Offerman (Marshal Weeden Scott) and Rashida Jones (Maggie Scott) are excellent as always, while Paul Giamatti (Beauty Smith) does very well as the villain. The story goes through various stages and while each is different, they all are emotionally gripping and come together nicely in the end. The animation is fittingly beautiful, rivaling that of the bigger budget companies producing these kinds of films. Weaknesses: Due to there being so many different points of White Fang's life, it often feels like a random series of events and not one traditional arc. It makes it difficult to fully see the character growth you look for in a movie. I can also see how the non-verbal stuff can come across as boring for some viewers. Overall: A great showcase of how to do proper wordless storytelling. White Fang is a beautiful film that tells a dramatic story and will have you emotionally invested.

• Aug 16, 2018

Lovely stuff. The kind of thing you want to watch on Christmas Day. None of your talking Disney animals here. Instead the animation does the talking for them. And what lovely animation it is. I'm as hard as nails, but I felt a tear spring to my eye on more than one occasion during this.

• Aug 07, 2018

This movie totally misses the point of the book, changing 90% of the plot and promising what it never intended to offer. It should have taken on a different title. This is a kids' movie; the book was much darker, much more adult. Not unpalatable for a child, but nonetheless much more violent.

• Aug 04, 2018

It's one of the best movies i had ever seen

It's one of the best movies i had ever seen

• Aug 03, 2018

I absolutely loved White Fang. Rare gem of an animation, this one. Has a charming early 90's animation vibe to it. I couldn't be more happier.