Why Stop Now? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Why Stop Now? Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
A bit all over but i was sold by the chaos and crux of this coming of age mini-drama and not to mention the beautiful piano pieces
November 11, 2015
Featuring fine natural performances from Eisenberg, Leo, and Morgan, "Why Stop Now?" successfully combines comedy/drama without ever being one-sided on a specific genre; There are real moments of human understanding in each character: Eisenberg loves and wants the best for his mother but suffers from a drinking problem (also unresolved storyline?); Leo is clear and loves both of her children but has a drug abuse issue that she is clearly in denial of; Morgan is a charismatic drug-dealer who encourages Eisenberg to pursue his gift of playing the piano because Morgan was unsuccessful in making the big leagues with his track and field career. These characters play out as real believable people: Dreamers with great intentions with some flaw that undermines their better judgment. The concept of "a day in the life" flows smoothly and showcases the hectic, madcap misadventures that Eisenberg must endure in order for him to get his mother into rehab and get to his audition. There is potential to explore some underdeveloped story lines (Eisenberg's drinking problem) and some story lines that could have been removed altogether (Eisenberg's love interest and the Revolutionary War reenactment that floods through town). "Why Stop Now?" is more realistic, emotional version of "Pineapple Express" and I would recommend it as a possible rental. 3/5
August 27, 2015
This movie should have been called "Why watch this movie?" I don't think I was ever truly interested at any point in this silly movie and I fell asleep around 45 minutes in with confidence that I would not miss anything at all.
½ June 9, 2015
A screwball comedy is not my favorite genre because most of the time a lot of the characters in those movies are really loud and annoying. In the case of Why Stop Now, it's the mother played by Melissa Leo and she does a great job playing a self-centered, despicable mother. The plot is not the most groundbreaking one, but it works fine for the film. Loved the script and the performances. Why Stop Now is all over the place, but still a thoroughly enjoyable comedy.
June 7, 2015
Another case of talented actors giving great performances to a NOTHING story.
April 30, 2015
I actually liked this. It was funny and touching and that kind of feel good garbage.
½ March 22, 2015
Had its craziness and funny moments. About what I expected.
February 14, 2015
Quirk comedic drama that never really seems to find its footing despite some talented leads. I've never really liked Tracy Morgan as a comedic actor, his style is just loud and way too forced, with that said, I kinda liked him here. He's a little more subdued and not as annoying as I typically find him to be. Not like his character is that well-developed or anything, but he's a little more calm and therefore imminently more likable than he comes across in other films. Melissa Leo and Jesse Eisenberg are both great as always, particularly Melissa Leo, but I don't think the film every feels completely comfortable in its own skin. It's certainly worried what people perceive this movie to be and they try to work the story to fit that mold of quirky indie dramedy. Like a Little Miss Sunshine. Not saying this film resembles that at all, but it's going after that same style. It's just that the neither the comedy nor the drama ever really have any weight to it, it's just too unsure of what it wants to be. You can certainly notice it in the final cut of the film. The only really legitimately funny scene is the one in the car where Isaiah Whitlock Jr. argues with Eli's sister's sock puppet. I think it was, honestly, the one real good laugh the film gave me. Everything else is mostly attempts that fail miserably. The film isn't horrifically bad or anything, but it just does nothing that you haven't seen done better elsewhere. A couple of good performances from the leads won't change anything if the script isn't up to par. This is honestly a story that's been done countless times before, and will be done countless times again, but that doesn't mean it has to be lacking. I think a tighter focus on making the transition between comedy and drama seamless would've helped a whole hell of a lot. This is poorly structured, it goes from scene to scene, randomly jumping all over the place. Several different stories going on at the same time, all going nowhere fast. At least the film is quite short, so it doesn't stick around longer than it should have. This isn't terrible, but it really missed the mark on what it could've done. But, honestly, this isn't a film with wasted potential. It didn't have a lot of potential to begin with, but I still think it could've been much better. Melissa Leo and Jesse Eisenberg, mostly Melissa, keep this film from being awful. That doesn't make this worth watching, though.
January 11, 2015
Definitely one of Eisenberg's weaker films and yet I was able to sit through it all. It has its high points that actually bring out a laugh here or there but it's probably not worth a second look.
½ December 27, 2014
I really like Jessie Eisenberg but this was so stupid i watched about 15 minutes of and turned it off!
November 8, 2014
Some funny bits but overall flat performances with a weak script.
October 30, 2014
I genuinely loved this movie. It's a light comedy about some obstacles in life and left an impression on me at least. Thank you for making this movie.
½ October 12, 2014
One of the better Tracy Morgan ventures.
Harlequin68
½ June 19, 2014
You must excuse Eli(Jesse Eisenberg) for being late to his audition. You see he has had a tough last 24 hours that began with him getting drunk at a jock party he crashed the night before. The following morning he gives a ride to his mother(Melissa Leo) to a rehab clinic. Except in a bit of logic that would make Joseph Heller smile, they will not take her because she currently tests clean for drugs. So, Eli has to get drugs from local drug dealers Sprinkles(Tracy Morgan) and Black(Isiah Whitlock Jr.). And before he knows it, Eli is their new translator.

"Why Stop Now" has certain things going for it like a neat cast(Sarah Ramos proving that 'Parenthood' was no fluke) and a tried and true comedy premise that should work. Except it really does not. Apparently, there is only so much mileage one can get out of putting Jesse Eisenberg into jeopardy. Along those same lines, it is the kind of situation that the television series 'Mom' succeeds at every week. In other words, it is always a good idea to rely on professionals for writing and directing your comedy needs, else you could just end up with a whole bunch of random bits(like the reenactors) and a resolution that is more than a little preachy.
April 5, 2014
Why did i watch this? I found it so boring.
March 15, 2014
Why stop now? ..cos this move sucks!
March 3, 2014
this movie was sad. jesse eisenburg is a bad actor!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont like him i want to sue this movie for disterbing the peace of that lovely woman "his mom" what an asshole he is!!!!!!!!
February 21, 2014
Review:
For some unknown reason, I actually enjoyed this movie. The storyline shocked me because it just goes from one crazy situation to the next. The director cleverly mixed it up with humour and drama which makes the movie entertaining and interesting at the same time. Every single character has there own personal issues to deal with. The main character is a piano genius but he has to battle with obstacles that are put in his way before he has a clear mind to go through an audition. With drug dealing, love, troubled sister and stuck up auntie, there is enough material to keep you going through the short hour and twenty minutes. Enjoyable!

Round-Up:
It's good to watch a movie were Tracy Morgan isn't being an annoying idiot. He was actually good in this movie, as the drug dealer, and his sidekick was a great choice by the director. Eisenberg usually plays the same type of roles in all his movies, but I thought that he was also good in this movie. You can clearly see that he is actually playing the piano for real which shows that he has a real talent to fall back on. His mother was another character that played her part well as a drug addict. In all, all of the cast put in great performances in this low budget movie that should have got more recognition.

I recommend this movie to people who are into there funny dramas about a mother and son struggling with personal issues. 6/10
February 2, 2014
Tiresome comedy, of sorts, where a piano prodigy get caught up with his mothers drug pushers and trying to get his mum into rehab. Einsberg seems to put no real effort into his role which does not help with the general mood and pace of the film.
½ January 28, 2014
Featuring a funny cast and a surprisingly deep script; Why Stop Now is a dark comedy that profits from the energy of its leads.