Woman at War (Kona fer í stríð) Reviews

• Feb 23, 2020

It felt very politically correct; a fable for the woke crowd. Halla is clearly a hero in her head, just as any activist is, I suppose, but is she? Not to stretch this too far, but I'm sure suicide bombers consider themselves heroes as well. I'm an old guy, and our generation was taught that breaking the law in the cause of "right" was a good thing. Wouldn't it be cool if the German peasantry threw off the Nazi's, etc. etc. Yay Berkley! Yay Kent State! Yay civil disobedience! But is that true? Isn't that what legal systems were created for? To challenge authority and to right wrongs? It's much more fun, though, to sneak around and blow stuff up. No skin off your nose, and, as for the workers affected by your "actions", they shouldn't have been such exploitative minimum wage environmental profiteers in the first place. I know I'm coming off with a curmudgeonly "damn kids, get off my lawn" kind of vibe, but I'm seen one too many of these propaganda pieces, even when they're genuinely charming and funny. I've seen sufficient people standing in unemployment lines to fail to connect with a fairy-tale of the ill-informed taking the law into their own hands.

• Oct 12, 2019

This was one of those films at you become one with. If that doesn't make sense, I apologize. It's hard to explain, sometimes a film can pull you in and make you really feel like you're part of the story. I'm not going to say this is an amazing, groundbreaking film but it definitely was something different. It was smart and offers a compelling look at one woman's drive to save the environment and what it ultimately costs her... (maybe?) I personally loved the music choice (and how they went about incorporating it into the movie. It was subtle yet fun at the same time! Well deserving of a solid 3.5/5 gotta love those Icelandic/Ukrainian films!

• Sep 09, 2019

It opens not-solved debates at the same time it maintains the rhythm of light comedy and, in sometimes, a thriller. Not revolutionary, but original enough to enjoy you. I liked the end.

• Jul 30, 2019

I expected more. The light touch was light indeed, but not particularly funny, and the drama part of it never felt real, due to implausible plot twists. The message barely emerge from it, and while that can be good in some cases, here it was not. Not a bad movie but frankly, forgettable.

• Jul 20, 2019

A film that is thought-provoking and quite original in its theme but mostly in the style of filmmaking.

• Jun 15, 2019

Light and airy while topical and affecting at the same time, the only thing holding it back is a slightly too clean ending.

• Jun 02, 2019

This film is about an Icelandic woman named "Halla" who tries to balance her activist lifestyle with her desire to adopt a child. ‘Woman at War' lies somewhere between a spy thriller and a melodrama, with a dash of humor and absurdity to take the edge off the serious political message.

• Jun 01, 2019

Gripping drama which is funny and moving. Wonderful acting. I loved every moment of this quirky film.

• May 30, 2019

Must see movie for those of us who care about the Climate Crisis. Inspirational. And funny too.

• May 25, 2019

Thrilling and showcase Iceland landscape and culture into a satisfying conclusion