World War Z - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

World War Z Reviews

½ November 17, 2017
This movie was a boring Pepsi commercial, some ideas were interesting but they did not follow through with them except for the idea that Pepsi cures zombie-ism
November 15, 2017
Your average zombie movie, starring Brad Pitt that despite it's generic theme and over the top execution still manages to rise slightly above the water of mediocrity.
November 4, 2017
(4.5 out of 6)
N/A
Mother nature is a bitch, she is a serial killer that we live in peace and chaos that we don't know when she is ready to strike again. We are to only defend ourselves or take what she gives us. Finding her weakness is finding the clues & holes in her methods to overcome. Mother nature can change development how ever she please and whenever.
October 30, 2017
World War Z stars Brad Pitt who is UN representative who helps to try to figure out how to stop the pandemic of a zombie attack. Great cast, great script and crisp action sequences. Overall it was a great movie, enjoyable and fast paced. It was a fun movie with great suspense, I would definitely add to your list.
½ October 28, 2017
It may diverge from it's source material but World War Z is a entertaining yet surprisingly suspenseful ride thanks to a charismatic lead performance from Brad Pitt
½ October 28, 2017
Thought it was not very original
½ October 27, 2017
Kinetic with an effective ending.
October 15, 2017
Solid fun every time. It isn't as good or even close to the book, but it's entertaining and intense.
½ October 8, 2017
Something new, unoriginal and terrifying.
September 25, 2017
A terrific zombie thriller, drawing heavy parallels between modern day events like the refugee crisis and flu pandemics, and well directed by Marc Forster. Brad Pitt spends most of the movie flying from Philadelphia to Korea to Israel to Cardiff (?!), trying to save the world while looking hunky. The zombies themselves are pretty feral and disturbing as they throw themselves over walls or munch on human flesh. Much better than the Romero stuff.
September 23, 2017
This film went through post production hell and it looked as though the film was destined to disappear. This film is better than expected and while I liked the Max Brooks book it was going to be a hard book to adapt. The book was a non linear storyline so if you're looking for a straight adaption you'll be disappointed. I treat this film like one of the various stories in the book, the biggest issue is the film is one continuous action beat, no scares at all. I liked the film because it took the smart road and didn't follow all the walking dead clones. Brad Pitt chose an interesting film franchise and in this market it was a wise decision, the sequel should do very well. 23-09-2017.
September 20, 2017
Love love love this movie
½ September 20, 2017
Non sono mai stato un grande fan dei film sugli zombie, e questo film non fa eccezione. L'ho trovato banale e prevedibile, senza una morale e senza aggiungere niente di nuovo al genere. Le scene d'azione sono convenzionali e trattate con superficialità, decisamente troppo caotiche e movimentate. Si tratta dell'ennesimo blockbuster estivo fatto solo per accumulare un po' di soldi sfruttando un argomento che ultimamente va molto di moda.
September 16, 2017
Brad Pitt give a very stale, one-note performance in a movie that shares nothing with the book except zombies and a title.
September 12, 2017
Yeah yeah it was ok because of the budget they had but nothing memorable
September 6, 2017
Did they even read the book before the made this?. This movie actually made me pretty angry, Zombies don't sprint, stupid!, and then throw in some Jewish subplot for the hell of it , made no sense at all. Don't watch this movie or you will be infected.
½ August 24, 2017
Dramatic and edge of the seat stuff. Captures a great sense of tension in areas and isn't all too predictable. Some scenes to feel a bit similar however and the story is a bit slow and shady, the film simply has nothing on its original novel. However book aside, if you watch it for what it is its not a bad watch. It could have been better but my attention was held throughout and there is a huge sense of a global war on saving humanity rather than one man saving the world.
August 21, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, we just witnessed billions of undead in the film World War Z.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Happily I took the antidote before going in. Let s recap:

SCOTT: The movie begins with us getting to know the Lane family who live in Philadelphia. We meet the father Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), his wife Karin (Mereille Enos), and their two daughters Rachel (Abigail Hargrove) and Constance (Sterling Jerins). The family is stuck in traffic when they notice a commotion several blocks ahead. Within minutes, they are fleeing an invasion of zombies and barely escape with their lives. Assisted by Gerry s former U.N. colleague Thierry Umotoni (Fana Mokoena), the family is flown to a U.S. Navy ship off the northeast coast.

GREG: In return for his family s safe passage on the naval vessel, Gerry agrees to seek out the source of the zombie apocalypse. He escorts a young biological genius (Elyes Gabel) who accidentally kills himself. This leaves Gerry alone to figure out where the virus came from and hence how to kill it. He interviews ex-CIA agent Gunter Haffner (David Morse) who tells him the Israelis have built a wall to keep the zombies out - but how did they know to expect the invasion? Gerry is on his way on a global trek to seek out the origins of the virus and hence the clue to its cure.

SCOTT: Greg, I must confess that I ve never been a big fan of zombie movies. But this one is good. First and foremost, the zombies in the film were magnificent. They score off the scale marks on the creep-meter, with their ravenous attacks on human flesh and their lizard skin, chattering teeth, and Frankenstenian gaits. At various times the zombies screech like pigs, roosters, dogs, and dinosaurs. There is a ferocious fanaticism in their virus-like quest to conquer humanity. The movie features many high-production-value scenes of streets teeming with hordes of flesh-munching undead. We see swarms of zombies compressed like giant globules of insects ready to obliterate everything in their path. And then there is the scene on the airplane -- How many times do you see the hero in a movie decide that his best hope for survival on a plane is to blow it up in mid-air? All of this scores high on the coolness factor.

GREG: I agree with you, Scott. This was a non-stop thriller and action-packed movie. However, it was a bit low on plot. For the most part we follow Brad Pitt from one exotic location to the next just barely escaping the zombie horde. Unlike zombies of old, these zombies move fast and are hard to kill. Gerry Lane made for a good hero. He contained all your Great Eight characteristics of a contemporary hero: He was smart, strong, resilient, selfless, caring, charismatic, reliable, and inspiring. There is a scene in the opening chase where Gerry fears he has gotten zombie blood into his mouth. He knows it is a mere 12 seconds between infection and zombification. He stands on the ledge of a tall building counting the seconds down to see if he will change - planning to jump the ledge if he does - so as to protect his family. In this one motion he exhibits the qualities of smart, strong, resilient, selfless, and caring.

SCOTT: You re right about the plot being a little on the impoverished side, Greg. This isn t the most cerebral movie of the year. It s meant to be a movie that throws likeable characters into impossible situations involving unstoppable monsters. The trick is to do it right, which these filmmakers did. We care about the Lane family -- they are nice and attractive, and their kids are cute and giggly. We want no harm to come to them and we empathize with their plight. The heartstrings are tugged to great effect.

GREG: True enough, Scott. I went into this movie with low expectations and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Although, the zombie actors did start to resemble that classic music video Thriller by Michael Jackson. I caught myself laughing a bit under my breath and wishing for the grittier zombies of Will Smith s I Am Legend from 2007. Still this was a good popcorn blockbuster. I give the thrill ride 3 out of 5 Reels. Gerry Lane was a good heroic character matching up with our expectations of a heroic stereotype (although a bit light on characterization). I give him 4 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: World War Z is a very good suspense film that makes you care about its hero, his family, and all the people around them who are fighting to save humanity. Brad Pitt truly carries this movie with his charisma and tenacity. The zombies themselves are a most formidable enemy, terrifying us at every turn the way any zombies worth their salt should. I also award this movie 3 Reels out of 5. This is a fairly good hero story. Our hero Gerry is unwillingly sent on a journey into a world fraught with unimaginable danger and receives help along the way from several sources, including his U.N. friend Umotoni, Dr. Andrew Fassbach, Former CIA agent Gunter Haffner, and Israeli solder Segen (Daniella Kertesz). My only complaint is that Gerry doesn t evolve much and is pretty much the same guy at the end that he was at the beginning. Still, Gerry s charisma and other heroic characteristics give him 3 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:
½ July 30, 2017
Pretty good, it was missing Daryl Dixon through.
½ July 19, 2017
This movie wastes no time in getting started and moves at quite a pace. The middle act is arguably less engaging but the tension and urgency of the first and third act make this a fine movie, albeit the most bloodless zombie movie I've ever seen. Nevertheless, the zombies are all wonderfully creepy with their individual ticks and mannerisms and although very little actual gore (if any) the imagination readily fills in the gaps.