World War Z - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

World War Z Reviews

May 10, 2018
Despite a couple major suspensions of disbelief, World War Z managed to keep my attention through the end-a real nail biter!
April 16, 2018
The real feel of impending doom and amazing music composition make this movie the best zombie flick ever made.
½ April 15, 2018
You know, it's actually a fun popcorn horror flick. I mean, the book is a far superior story, but you won't not be entertained.
½ April 13, 2018
lightweight script delivers genuine thrills and the movie has some impressive cgi, but an unimpeded pace and truly underwhelming ending. pitt and the scares undermine the film's integrity, leaving you wondering what exactly it is trying to say. entertaining in parts, it just overall doesn't have much afterthought.
April 6, 2018
Great entertaining movie that was thought out and executed perfectly. . & Brad Pitt isn't even my favorite actor so to speak, haha. Special effects great, high intensity, not too long, from a microbiologist-perspective, pretty cool. Won't be disappointed by watching it!
½ March 30, 2018
Loved the speed and scale of the zombies in this film. Apart from that a pretty silly story, but I don't expect Shakespeare from a zombie movie.
March 30, 2018
World War Z does have massive problems such as a rushed narrative especially in the contraversional reshot third act, the cinematography uses way too much shakey cam in the setpieces making it hard to enjoy the Zombie attacks and the CGI zombies look terrible in terms of rendering.

However, the great acting, it's interesting take on Zombie invasion and Marco Beltrami's gripping score helps this film, like the character of Gerry among the zombies, manages to avoid being consumed.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
Now I'm not a huge zombie person as much as some other people are and this isn't a gore hounds dream of a zombie film (Thank you PG-13) but I will admit I was generally surprised for what I got considering the trailer didn't intrigue me that much.

The acting in World War Z is mainly hit or miss in my mind. Brad Pitt, while not a huge fan of his work, does a very good job here and gives a very legit serious performance. Mireille Enos does a very good job as the wife of Brad and does get a few very well pulled off emotional moments. My favorite actor in the film though is Danielle Kertesz who plays a foreign soldier who helps Brad Pitt through Israel and the hospital at the end of the film who has her hand amputated off due to getting bitten and keeping it from spreading. She gives a very good emotional performance and she definitely knows how to pull off the very intense moments in the film. The rest of the cast does well but they don't really focus on a lot of the side characters in the film, mainly its just Pitt, the wife, and the soldier, so a lot of the side characters are either forgettable and just there to die, or just give a passable performance.

Now the effects. This is the one thing I was mainly concerned about, because in all the trailers, they show the massive amounts of zombies piling on top of one another and running in MASSIVE groups and it is painfully obvious CG and looks pretty laughable from far away, but up close the zombie makeup actually looks very good and the makeup does have some fantastic details to it, especially the teeth and hair on some of the zombies, especially the last one near the end of the film. And some of them have very graphic detail to them which I was genuinely pleased with that they at least made them look like zombies unlike some other zombie films in the past few years.

Now the horror element. Considering it is a zombie movie you would expect some suspense and jump scares, and this is my one problem I have with the film, the jump scares are very predictable, and I was even talking to my friend (Very quietly I might add) in the theatre during the jump scare scenes and saying, this would've worked so much better if they did this. One example is a zombie is shown on a stretcher in a flashback explanation scene asleep, the doctor is examining the zombie while dormant, and at one point puts his ear to the zombies face, now I thought it was going to be that the zombie was going to bite him while his face was right there, which would've been a very good jump scare, but he backs up and they zoom on the zombies face and its eyes open up, which killed the whole jump moment. The movie is just full of these moments that kill the jumpscares by anticipating them. It's almost like the film is to scared to actually scare the audience which is not a good sign for a zombie movie. And I've seen jump scares done very well in other PG-13 films such as Mama and the Grudge and it is just sad that they don't utilize jumps that well. That is until the last act of the film where Brad Pitt and the soldier are in a research facility with a few other people where they have to find the cure so they have to go into the other half of the building, only problem is that the whole other half of the building is crawling with the other infected doctors and scientists, so some of the doctors, Pitt and the soldier have to sneak through there without alerting the zombies, and this is where I think the suspense is just phenomenal. The whole scene builds up so well having the first half of the scene in quiet while the people slowly have to sneak stealthily through the zombies without getting caught. And there is one scene where Pitt is in the medicine room locked in and I think this scene is arguably one of the best suspense scenes I've seen in a film. I won't ruin it but it is just fantastically creepy and makes you feel so anxious on whats going to happen.

Overall, while this isn't the best Zombie film I've seen, I feel that the film has some fantastic elements of a zombie film, adds a couple things, has some good suspense (near the end), good acting, good writing, and some great makeup. I'd say it's at least worth one viewing if you can get over how cheap the CG looks at points and how predictable the jump scares are.
March 26, 2018
Intelligent and dark. "World War Z" is one of the best zombie movies you'll ever watch.
March 19, 2018
Zombies avoid people who are sick, so like 80% of the population wouldn't have to worry one bit
½ February 8, 2018
Entertaining at times, but - overall - nothing special. Worth a rent.
February 2, 2018
Would re-watch. 10.29.17
½ January 7, 2018
Bland and too linear
½ January 6, 2018
A different idea for zombies or walkers as most walking dead fans will see this for zombies! Not quite the same type of zombies like in the walking dead or most zombie flicks but the idea works well its a very interesting idea and a very good story
If you like the walking dead then you may like this not quite the same zombies but still very good
January 3, 2018
An entertaining movie that was 'disappointingly good' meaning it was very entertaining and thrilling to watch but a few problems kept it from being great.
December 24, 2017
I'd give this zero stars if I could. Leave it to Hollywood to make the most expensive zombie movie of all time, only to take that budget and waste it on poorly staged action scenes. The film makers should have seen "Walking Dead" as their competition, and not other mindless action movies pouring out of Hollywood.
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Intensa, por momentos aterradora, llena de acción y con una épica historia que la convierte en una gran opción de entretenimiento.
½ November 17, 2017
This movie was a boring Pepsi commercial, some ideas were interesting but they did not follow through with them except for the idea that Pepsi cures zombie-ism
November 15, 2017
Your average zombie movie, starring Brad Pitt that despite it's generic theme and over the top execution still manages to rise slightly above the water of mediocrity.
November 4, 2017
(4.5 out of 6)
N/A
Mother nature is a bitch, she is a serial killer that we live in peace and chaos that we don't know when she is ready to strike again. We are to only defend ourselves or take what she gives us. Finding her weakness is finding the clues & holes in her methods to overcome. Mother nature can change development how ever she please and whenever.