Xtro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Xtro Reviews

August 22, 2016
Perhaps a story that doesn't need to be told - but really tightly written and the effects are fantastic.
August 10, 2016
If you are a gore hound and love weird, dark, twisted 80's horror flicks from the vhs age and the sort of gloopy, gross, slimy effects you would usually get in films of that era, then you will dig the hell out of Xtro. It's one fucked up film if i do say so, full of the sort of insane "what the fuck am i looking at"? sort of imagery that i love to see. It starts off as a simple alien abduction story, with a dad and husband getting taken by a big bright light in the sky, but then things veer off .....somewhere else... violently, shit gets flat out demented by the midway point especially, with the arrival of a terrifying evil midget clown brought to life by a kid with alien mind powers. Seriously, it's no masterpiece, but you really need to just see this thing, it's a disgusting delight, you truly never know where it's going to take you next or what depraved bizarreness is going to occur. A nasty, batshit crazy little gem.
½ April 26, 2016
A terrifying film that makes the audience feel uneasy and on edge for the entire runtime.
½ August 19, 2015
Xtro is a fun b movie with some really entertaining effects. It's definitely worth checking out.
August 9, 2015
Not many folk will defend this film but I am going to. Far from an Alien rip off this plays more like an acid fuelled British B-Movie Horror mash up of ET, Flight of the Navigator and Puppet Master (the latter two of the three came after this) It's a strange film but never dull, has a fun little soundtrack and doesn't outstay it's welcome. Tacky fun.
½ July 17, 2015
Excellent and gory sci-fi story of a man kidnapped by aliens comes back to Earth to his family.

The acting is top notch and the characters are really very interesting. Some of the scenes are very bloody, but well done and believable.

Xtro is a really great sci-fi horror movie that everyone should see.
December 22, 2014
A gory mess of a movie with a few highlights.
October 12, 2014
Whoa! This is a very surreal 80s scifi horror and it deserves a cult film status for how outrageous it is! There is blood, slime and bladder effects galore. If you are a fan of 80s trash this is must see!
March 14, 2014
XTRO is XTRaOrdinary! Daddy returns from a 3-year absence to reclaim his son; exhibiting strange behaviour due to his abduction by aliens. Contains some of the most repellent scenes I have ever seen but still draws you in. This can be enjoyed multiple times over.
January 21, 2014
This decent creature feature has a lot going for it. It isn't as great a sci-fi horror film as "Alien" or anything, but "Xtro" is a solid B-movie with well done effects, creepy imagery, lots of gore, and a unique plot that isn't too simple to bore you but isn't mind numbingly confusing either. Sci-fi/horror/gore fans should be entertained by the quality of this relatively unknown flick, and those looking for a so-bad-its-good movie might be pleasantly surprised.
January 18, 2014
Xtro gets real weird real fast. And it stays that way...
½ November 13, 2013
Finally! A movie that combines the fine romanticism of John Carpenter's Starman with the internal bleeding of Humanoids from the Deep. At least that is what I think what this film is like judging by the original movie poster it's about a monster that steals a pouty kid's chocolate milk. So for those of you who were blessed never seeing this giant hunk of elephant crap, Xtro is a 1983 alien horror film meant to capitalize on the good natureness of ET the Extra-Terrestrial. Some aliens want your Reese's Pieces; other aliens think you are just as delicious Reese's Pieces. I for one will stick with real "fuck you" ET movies, thank you very much, like John Carpenter's The Thing. Hell maybe a few years down the road this movie will have its own shitty prequel. So by now you may be asking yourself why I picked this as the next film to my Countdown to 200 and the answer is quite simple. I am a fucking moron! Apart from that, lately I've been expanding my horizons by watching foreign films for the past year. Low and behold; not only was this low-budgeted British movie a sci-fi flick, but it has spawned two more sequels with news of a fourth to come out sometime in the near future making this kind of a cult following. So after hearing about this I decided to run to my local Good Will Store, bought me a VHS copy, and enjoyed some horrendous acting followed by bizarre shit that even Ron Jeremy would get sick to his stomach from. So sit back and relax as I kick things off with my review on Xtro.

So the general plot of Xtro is about the horrific story of a British man who gets kidnapped by aliens, while his son witnesses the whole thing, and is returned three years later carrying infectious spores that have transformed him into a kind of crab thingy that causes all kinds of perverse sexual and violent mayhem.

The movie has a series of awkward moments in here from a boy who stares at his mother having sex in bed to aliens having the ability to use toy soldiers as killing machines. Not to mention the alien in this looks like a baby sized version of the Cloverfield monster that likes to impregnate dumb blondes and becomes reborn into a human. Philip Sayer plays the young boy named Sam and he is so blatantly stereotyped that I'm expecting a scene where Ebenezer Scrooge sends this kid down to the market to pick him up a goose. Bernice Stergers plays Rachel Phillips, the mother in this movie, whose acting is as bland as their cup of tea and has a haircut in every scene where it looks like Dudley Moore's Arthur after a forty-eight hour binge. There are also scenes where the actors talk off screen and you wouldn't even know where they are half the time. One positive thing that I will say about this is that this movie does start establishing things, but just at completely at random. Overall, this movie is a prime example of how much you can fuck up a sci-fi film and not care one bit what the general audience thinks about it. Take my advice and NEVER watch this movie, otherwise your mind will be infected the same way these aliens infect the people in this film. The only real question I'll be asking myself, for years to come, is what the hell is an Xtro?
August 11, 2013
XTRO (Harry Bromley Davenport, 1983)
[originally posted 27Mar2000]

In the world of 1983, everyone was happily proclaiming that alien life would be warm and happy, and would like to eat Reese's Pieces and mashed potatoes. Ridley Scott? Who's he? We remember the little guy with the healing touch and some greys who like to play Simon with a really, really big board.

Harry Bromley Davenport singlehandedly brought the menace back into extraterrestrial life with XTRO, a low-budget British film from 1983. I saw it once, upon release, and it scarred me for life. Of course, I was fourteen at the time, and I have often wondered whether I was exaggerating the brilliance of this little gem in my head when placing it in a position of prominence on my 100-best list. Thanks to the wonders of ebay, a copy came my way last week, and Saturday morning I had a chance to sit down and relive the wonderful world of nasty, disgusting aliens who like to abduct people and do extremely tasteless things to those still on earth.

It hasn't lost a beat. Sam Phillips (Philip Sayer, best known-how depressing-for Shanghai Surprise; his career was cut short when he died in a car crash in 1991) is a family man abducted by aliens when only his son (Simon Nash, who only made two more motion pictures, Breakout and Brazil, before going on to a TV career in the nineties) is around to see. Of course, his wife (British TV mainstay Bernice Stegers) assumes he's gone off and left them... until he shows up again three years later. How he gets from his alien abductors back home is the first twenty minutes of the film, a marvel of proto-splatterpunk low-budget effects making that must be seen to be believed-- assuming your stomach can handle some of the nastier bits.

In a reversal of what Sam Raimi had done two years previous in his classic The Evil Dead, Davenport dispenses with the gore early on, for the most part, and spends the rest of the movie building suspense. It's a tricky way to do things, since if you set the audience up with a gorefest for half an hour and then work on atmosphere, what most of your audience will leave saying is "good beginning, then it gets real slow." Again, this movie isn't for everyone-- along with an appreciation of fuzzy horror [viz. The Ninth Gate review for a definition] (especially in the soundtrack), you have to have the stomach for some of the gorier scenes and an appetite for the surreal (Maryam d'Abo-- in her acting debut, by the way-- in the bathtub. If you've seen the movie, you know exactly what I'm talking about).

This is a movie that truly must be experienced to be believed-- and it's unforgettable, at least for seventeen years. My original ***** still stands.
July 1, 2013
Bizarre bit of Sci-fi....best thing I can say for it is that it has a 22 year old Maryam d'Abo!
May 28, 2013
One of the best alien films out there.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ March 23, 2013
Decent Alien Rip-off, Xtro doesn't cover new ground in terms of alien themed horror films, but is a fun little B movie that boasts some memorable moments. However I have seen far better rip-off of Alien and Xtro though somewhat entertaining, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of what it could have been. I enjoyed the film for what it was, but felt it could have been a bit better. The performances were an aspect that could have greatly improved, however the gore effects is where the film excelled and they were quite good considering the budget of the film. Sci Fi horror fans may enjoy the camp value of Xtro, but they will surely feel that in terms of an Alien type horror yarn, it is a weak affair that is really only worth checking out once. Unlike its horrible sequels, this was actually quite entertaining and decent despite the fact that it was weak compared to others in this genre. The best way to view this film is as a guilty pleasure. The effects are the best thing about the film and it overcomes its slightly thin plot. Gore fans may enjoy I, but to those looking for great horror that is memorable and thrilling, you'll sadly be disappointed. This is a decent picture that delivers good effects, but leaves a lot to be desired from its weak plot. Expect something mildly amusing, and you may like it. I enjoyed the film, but I also felt it could have been much better as well, and there was plenty of room for improvement.
½ January 16, 2013
Really, really weird. Some of the imagery is creepy. Some parts are laughable. It's kind of a downer of a movie, but there aren't too many movies like it.
January 15, 2013
One of a kind 'cult-sci-fi horror'...quite creepy with some surreal moments.....don't expect Alien..but it does have a unique off beat charm to it..and it somehow manages to freak you out just when you least expect it. A classic!
½ November 29, 2012
Creepy, physically and psychologically grotesque Science Fiction/Gore/Horror film about familial devotion. I liked it quite a lot.
½ November 19, 2012
A film that does have its flaws but a weirdness to it that keeps you interested.