The Young Victoria - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Young Victoria Reviews

May 23, 2016
I wanted to cry at the end. Emily Blunt is ravishing.
½ April 20, 2016
t'was ok, not many conflicts happen during the story, feels more historical than dramatic, still interesting though
½ April 18, 2016
It seems this is a fairly faithful representation of Queen Victoria's early years as a queen plus the movie is interesting enough to keep the viewer interested. If you like historical dramas, watch it.
April 16, 2016
I really liked this movie. EMILY BLUNT.
February 8, 2016
For a guy who can't stand love stories I think my score says it all. Great acting, set design, story and music. A great film all around... 5 stars
½ January 22, 2016
The film is nice. It's always fun to see a reproduction of the epoch. We then can better imagine how it was when we read historical accounts. The film shows the personal side and don't explain much of what is going on though. Wikipedia helped clarify things. The assassination attemp was shown to have hit Albert, him protecting her, but it is not real. She was actually shot at at least four times, hit on the head once. Lucky firearms were not all that good at the time. The film is nice but a true story of her life might be a bit different and more adventurous. She was benevolent and bitchy enough to make it worthy, apparently.
½ November 8, 2015
thought this movie was fantastic. I love films about the British monarchy, I can't believe it took so long for me to see this.
½ October 28, 2015
An engaging and sumptuous royal drama that features an exquisite art direction and costume design, but still the very best about it is both Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend, who shine together as Victoria and Albert and really make us care about their characters.
½ October 3, 2015
Everything works just fine in this.
½ October 2, 2015
Quite nice and enjoyable. It goes a little to fast-paced at some points but I think the story is very well portrayed, although it might be a little bit sugarcoated. The production and acting is very good.
August 12, 2015
A timeless love story that reminds us the best partnerships are the ones full of love and equality. Loved the performances of Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend.
July 19, 2015
Solid Romantic Drama. If you want a break from the mindless, hyperactive and empty action flicks of the past few years this is worth watching. Better than the predictable and "dime a dozen"chick flicks hollywood has been putting out lately. A good period piece that delivers.
April 19, 2015
A heartwarming retelling of how Victoria met Albert. Blunt is as wonderful as ever, balancing her natural warmth with enough magisterial prowess to portray the Queen in waiting. Political intrigue and treachery abounds and there's plenty of earnest stiff-upper-lip Britishness from a fantastic ensemble cast. But it's the chemistry between Blunt and Friend that really makes this film shine. Clearly a romanticised version of events than an historically accurate biopic, Fellowes has created another slice of aristocratic life on celluloid that is a charming, if undemanding, delight.
April 4, 2015
WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......

WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......
½ March 20, 2015
One of the pitfalls that a lot of biopics fall into is that they try to do too much, e.g., telling someone's entire life story as opposed to a part of it. Thankfully, THE YOUNG VICTORIA avoids this mistake by choosing to focus on the early years of Queen Victoria's reign. The source of dramatic conflict is how, as a young monarch, she was pulled this way and that by advisors and politicians who were all vying for control and influence. Meanwhile, she finds a friend (and eventually, lover) in Prince Albert. One thing the film does really well is show the difficulty inherent in being a leader, especially when one is young and viewed as inexperienced. Emily Blunt pulls off the role admirably and shows the chops she would bring to later performances such as EDGE OF TOMORROW, although her character here is a little more vulnerable. I thought she showed both sides quite well. Rupert Friend also did a great job as Prince Albert, who provided much needed solace and counterpoint to Victoria. Mark Strong also did well as the slimy John Conroy, who pressured Victoria to establish a regency with her mother, the Duchess of Kent. Also worth noting is the excellent production design and costumes which faithfully (I assume) and beautifully reproduce Victorian England. There is also an incredible score and soundtrack with (mostly) period classical music. Put together, this creates a rather handsome period costume drama and romance that should appeal to a large swath of the movie-going public.
September 18, 2014
I've been waiting on this!
½ September 7, 2014
Not a period fan but Emily blunt is just fantastic
August 7, 2014
Finally a movie with a somewhat happy ending! I like that all moviemakers are trying to make things more realistic at the end and not making all endings turn out perfectly. But this is a good way to end it and they kept the suspense like in the almost assassination scene which was beautifully done. I just overall liked it. Rupert friend and Emily blunt were both great and I enjoyed watching them fall for eachother. All in all a good watch.
July 19, 2014
Good looking historical drama. V&A are one of the all-time great couples.
½ June 16, 2014
The movie could have been better but it's sill good. I will admit, the costumes in the movie were amazing.