The Young Victoria - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Young Victoria Reviews

March 19, 2018
This period drama delivers on what one would expect; beautiful costumes and sets with safe acting performances and an emotionally-distant, disingenuous story that is chalk-full of melodrama.
February 18, 2018
This movie depicts the early life of Queen Victoria, as the only legitimate heir of England's King William IV, teenage Victoria, portrayed by Emily Blunt gets caught up in the political machinations of her own family. Victoria's mother wants her to sign a regency order, while her Belgian uncle schemes to arrange a marriage between the future monarch and Prince Albert, the man who will become the love of her life. It becomes quite interesting and this is the time when the monarchy starts seeming like the one we know it today. Academy Award nominations for Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design and Best Makeup.
½ February 12, 2018
I liked this film and believed in the characters particularly Victoria and also the relationship between her and Albert. It was perhaps a little claustrophobic with most of the story happening inside palaces.
January 15, 2018
It's a pretty bland examination on an important event and figure. It forces itself to tell its audience the obvious hardships of a woman adopting this position instead of portraying her as an interesting character. However, it still remains subtle in mood otherwise which isn't always the case in these costume dramas.
August 26, 2017
this movie show that to have faith or believing in someone/thing is hard, but it's really worth it. LOVE THEIR CHEMISTRY
August 7, 2017
I was looking forward to watching this, but it was pretty boring. There wasn't any romance and there didn't feel like much story either.
July 17, 2017
interesting true story about the life of Queen Victoria
May 29, 2017
Watching the movie I understood the time line as to I'm familiar with Queen Victoria's history. One who is not so familiar will not completely understand the role Lord Melbourne played in her life, and will not understand the "Mrs. Melbourne" reference (in the opera.) I feel each character's story should've been detailed more so the viewer could accurately understand each scene. Although it could be confusing to most, I understand that they focused more on the romance between she and Prince Albert so therefore I give this a full 3 stars.
March 2, 2017
She was incredible in this. She made me love Queen Victoria, she made her a real person and I actually felt the love between her and prince albert. I just recently saw this movie, it's now my favorite. I'm ashamed to say since recording it, I've watched it 8 times and will continue to watch it. Fabulous acting, fabulous cast.
February 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 22, 2017
I am not a big fan of the monarchy. However, I grant them the respect that is demanded. As for the viewing of this film, which chronicles the celebrated life of one of their set, the (current) second longest reigning monarch, be a fan or not, respect the monarchy or not, the experience for this viewer is essentially tedium and a recognition of the outdated-ness and overrated-ness of the institution. On the bright side, the script was, I believe, realistic. And no flaw to the acting performances.
November 26, 2016
I love the part when he says I love you until my last breath :-)
½ November 3, 2016
Very Good. Emily Blunt is great.
September 15, 2016
Great movie and beautifully done. Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend have real chemistry.
May 23, 2016
I wanted to cry at the end. Emily Blunt is ravishing.
½ April 20, 2016
t'was ok, not many conflicts happen during the story, feels more historical than dramatic, still interesting though
½ April 18, 2016
It seems this is a fairly faithful representation of Queen Victoria's early years as a queen plus the movie is interesting enough to keep the viewer interested. If you like historical dramas, watch it.
April 16, 2016
I really liked this movie. EMILY BLUNT.
February 8, 2016
For a guy who can't stand love stories I think my score says it all. Great acting, set design, story and music. A great film all around... 5 stars
½ January 22, 2016
The film is nice. It's always fun to see a reproduction of the epoch. We then can better imagine how it was when we read historical accounts. The film shows the personal side and don't explain much of what is going on though. Wikipedia helped clarify things. The assassination attemp was shown to have hit Albert, him protecting her, but it is not real. She was actually shot at at least four times, hit on the head once. Lucky firearms were not all that good at the time. The film is nice but a true story of her life might be a bit different and more adventurous. She was benevolent and bitchy enough to make it worthy, apparently.