Young@Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young@Heart Reviews

April 19, 2016
Great story and so true to life.....
July 22, 2014
December 18, 2013
Very emotional!. A triumph of human spirit!.
December 7, 2013
An eye opening documentary focused on seniors that know how to have a good time. Very inspiring. Brought me tears of sadness and joy. No homo.
½ January 22, 2013
Feel-good doc marred time and again by bad sound and a terrible narration job. Otherwise, the old folks in this film have some real zing and, for what that's worth, they have it where it counts. Hope I'm as young as some of these old people when I'm their age.
December 13, 2012
I enjoy a good documentary. This one in particular is very moving
December 6, 2012
Very touching and inspiring movie. I have a whole new perspective on the songs the Young at Heart chorus sings in the movie, and I can't get them out of my head.
November 23, 2012
A fun heartwarming tale of seniors staying young through singing (or something like singing). A fun tale that is easy to get caught up in. Thankfully the singing is just a device to tell some good "people stories." Rent it.
½ September 18, 2012
Wonderful documentary with all the required components: comedy, tragedy, drama, music. The word "uplifting" is a bit of a cliche, but I don't know how else to describe this one. Next time I say I'm old, I'll remember this film!
August 7, 2012
brilliant - very moving. So many of the songs take on a whole new meaning in this context. Great performances.
June 12, 2012
A really nice little movie.
½ May 21, 2012
a wonderful testament to the power of the human spirit and a highly entertaining experience.
½ May 5, 2012
As I watched this movie on the plane I was a total mess of emotions. I was laughing out loud to crying my eyes out. The cover of FIX YOU was truly beautiful.
May 1, 2012
The cutest and sweetest little documentary.
April 21, 2012
Voici un documentaire qui prouve qu il y a encore une vie apres 75 ans ! Un
groupe de seniors s entrainent sur des chansons rock n roll bien dynamiques
pour presenter leur chorale lors de differents spectacles. On les voit tres
motives, malgre certains problemes de sante, parfois relativement graves !
Leur coach est un type engage et assez meticuleux, qui peine parfois a leur
faire atteindre le resultat desire. Mais on admire sans condition le
travail des ces personnes, qui font la nique aux cliches sur les gens de
leur age pour profiter encore quelques annees de la musique qui les fait
vibrer. Une belle lecon !
April 10, 2012
Young@Heart was a charming movie about senior citizens in a choir that cover some very happening modern songs. Cute with some moments of sadness. It didn't really tug on the heartstrings the way I imagined it would, but was still a good movie. I had a few minor issues with the way it was directed - with the search for the story arc, but overall it was pretty good.
April 2, 2012
To call Stephen Walker's film Young at Heart a documentary would be correct, since it does enter a non-fictionalized world where real people are living real lives and doing real things to pass the real time. Yet to say that the film has earned a place in the world of deep digging investigative documentary filmmaking would be something of a stretch.

Basically, Young at Heart is a sweet entertainment of a film which focuses too much on the performing aspects of it subjects and not enough on the rich and full lives which these people must have lived.

Let me back track a little here.

This is a film about a group of elderly people who have as much, if not more zest for life than most people a quarter their age. They express their youthful exuberance through a musical chorus which sings about everything from being Young at Heart to Schizophrenia. Taking most of their musical selections from a more modern pop catalog, this is not your typical "old folks" sing along. The group of 22 singers traverse the globe, creating new fans at every turn.

Now this sounds great. A wonderful story to tell. But really, for me, the spectacle of these elderly people singing the Ramones, I Wanna Be Sedated, was kind of fun the first time. The second time another "edgy" tune was bellowed, it was, you know, cute. But really, by the end of the film, I had felt as though I had been given more than my share of musical numbers and was ready for that section of the film to come to a close. Of course, they have to end with the big concert, which goes to show that even real life follows a formula at times.

What I could have used more of were the people. I wanted to get to know them, and not in the superficial, "No I don't care for this music at all." kind of way. We are given a few insights into some of the peoples lives, but nothing deep and truly meaningful.

At one point one of the members of the group, who had been through six previous rounds of chemo-therapy, was rushed to the hospital with extremely low white blood cell counts. When asked if he was afraid of dying due to a possible resurgence of the cancer he had previously beaten, he gives a simple dismissive answer which appears more like denial than any actual thoughtful moment of a deep search within.

I suppose you cannot blame the people. At that age death seems to be the next transition in life. Our youthful minds pontificate on the subject of death as just another phase of life, especially for the old, as if we expect them to die. Yet the people I saw in this film had just as much desire to live as a twenty-five year old who has just married his high school sweet heart. They say that they are fine with death, whenever it comes, but you can tell that they are in no rush to meet with it. You might even say that they are somewhat afraid of it. Perhaps this is why the film could not travel any deeper than it did, remaining fairly consistently on the surface of the deep without any great aspirations to penetrate the great sea of humanity which lay before them.

This is not a bad film. It is just not all that great. We have only one chance in many of these peoples live to learn from them before they are gone, to hear of their trials and triumphs. Perhaps all that was fit to know is that they too need a reason to live.
March 30, 2012
This is definitely one of my most favorite movies ever. It's wonderful to see how getting older does not mean you have to stop living. It's a wonderful challenge to our ageist assumptions.
March 29, 2012
Great motivational , sweet documentary .
½ March 24, 2012
A very entertaining and heartfelt documentary