Zulu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zulu Reviews

½ April 18, 2017
A fascinating and well-made historical film (although the fighting is cheesy at times--people drop dead from tiny pokes that wouldn't break the skin). It leaves you with a strange feeling. You root for the "underdog"--the vastly outnumbered British army--knowing the subsequent history of South Africa, you know the Zulu and other Africans wouldn't fare well under the British or Dutch. It still treats the Zulu people reverently, and the performances all around are top-notch.
March 13, 2017
Well, for a war movie, it's pretty slow, nothing very interesting really happens during the first hour. But, Stanley Baker, Nigel Green and Michael Caine lead this movie into being an interesting movie on a certain negelected moment of war. Although, the war action and fighting is done in a very corny old way, but for the time, it's very impressive, and it must've taken a lot of work to do. Recommended !!
January 5, 2017
This is one of the most thrilling war movies ever made. The acting, directing, story line, and action definitely make this a fully riveting film. It has always been one of my favorites.
October 29, 2016
An action packed war epic, Zulu is an extraordinarily entertaining film with a resonant message about violence.
September 24, 2016
A classic movie, clever action, a great story. Fire!
August 26, 2016
Tribal bodies are swimming through weeds over sharp-edged mountains to battle at red coats with patterned shields and unmagical scepters, ruining their mud hospital with languages of heat in tongues of flames against ruined alcohol. One crazy soldier relishes shaky sips from a smoked vial before living his then nightly daze of the Zulu Tribe's rapid marches however awkward and to the point the folks with ash'd skin, the British fools, absorb their gravity by stomping hills and working guns out formal piles of weapons. Someone's after royal badges and will leave them in hot dust, only to help a tribe with ammo of the warring dead inside the great outdoors. So, what's the brush at their ankles? The late 1800's is an eclipse of races which hurts the eyes of crude soldiers on this unfair couple of days; in particular to "crude sagacity of dominance" by the British and the Zulu Tribe's sundances of warfare, the white and the black are in their own melting pots even if some of their kins will become supper for the Earth to cherish their rotten muscles. At this point, a fancy hat is hardly a shield when its down shadow looms over places with wild toasters; if one army gives a salute, the other army thinks its pretension. The British armies put so much harm on other armies as well as themselves, and plenty of British residents today are more worried about the names of things; in other words, names that mean nothing. It doesn't matter if God's name is Jesus; people are dying here! Army movements here are either lucrative or diminished soon, bodies flowing over golden weeds of bloody waste, treading on a bright planet during momentary hours of peace when even a wild cat with a fuzzy knob of a dangerous tail hurries against lazy gunshots on divided paws. There's something rich about sunlight as it hits Mr. Caine's temple, so I remark here on the mysteries of shadows and try to define them: slight at moments, dark against flames, becoming ingredients to humanity's melting pots while turning the spectrum of hate into something massive: the eclipse of a smile beyond a fighter's gasping approach, switching her or his face's reflections of odor into resounding thuds of psychological impediments. Everything has a smell, lots of colors, becoming mediums for camera angles; at least, everything shown. When pleasure exists for a soldier, something has to give. Consider this blue sky land as the azure colors of the horizon change gradually with the soaking dips of history; a commonplace historian might say that the Zulu Film is historically accurate on a mild summer day, horrible coffee in hand, reading the newspaper while being a blithering pedant of familiar objects. DVD's permanent at all in small ways signify little; reality changes, and millions of seeds die in the womb before anybody is born. The Zulu Tribe resists goofy temptations to launch as imbecile fools; war is a poor accolade since, quite simply, plenty of sides are wrong, the right sides destroying humans like bugs as if deer look at them too closely. What's notable here is that the British army and the Zulu army own materials that aren't weapons, so their patronizing arrogance lives on for some expert kinds of materialism; what's ironic here is that the actors have to act out pompous stubbornness by being less self-disdainful and livelier in probable tunes of physics for fictional, historical spirits. Of course, it's not that clothes mean nothing; it's that wearable uniforms exist on people's figures in spite of most bodily actions. I know that golf channels advertise clothes; businesses accidently imply that materials are behaviors, so indeed actors must constantly struggle against the urge to run on happy dreamlands when reality is screaming at their faces. History movies of very many kinds have to serve as fictional obras which still get at the partial truths with special information: a deniable plot, more questions, examples laminated in video forms, requisite camera angles rather than perfect ones ever, inscribing technological descriptions of conditioned monsters across the sands of time with presentations that may make you queasy yet soothe my attention spans. Africa has its blinds of madness which are constantly downplayed by the African tribes' gay wits; I've watched so many cheap documentaries about tribes in Africa, and "Zulu" has reasonable physics since one of its creators for the movie for sure had the learned help of studying tribal rumors about foul play and forced kinds of understanding for armies. I actually consider an African tribe as a kind of army. I'm the kind of guy who listens to foreign languages even if I don't naturally speak them (sometimes I make up sounds); not only there's those profits of visual learning when I ignore my own desires sometimes, but nations of cultural types of charm if occasionally failing to be inevitable dominance or imprisoning submission gear themselves for troublemakers. In one of the beginning legend slots of "Zulu," a Zulu Warrior tugs at the clad dress of a prestigious, temperamental woman prior to his inconvenient death by a quick spear, chanting a showy song that is unwelcoming for the Zulu Tribe's reunion celebration. What if a leader is like some butler for our privileges? I'm most certainly not in that much glee for American Freedom when it's defined by world leaders through personal tastes and exotic reasons; let's amplify "Zulu"'s involving meanings or else dispute with ourselves how we live while others suffer. There's this unmelted exchange by the British Army and the Zulu Army between freedom and compassion, shared context of meaning possibly illusionous because of intense whispers between soldiers and battle-cries among warriors. An arbitrary motive that a historian can have is often needed in order to define the truth with optional bias; however alas, some political thinkers are horrible philosophers because they're bad anthropologists constantly feeling the need to pick sides without being so careful due to lack of descriptions. Once I had a black preacher at a ghetto church who told the doubtful crowd to drink the Bible; I'm still drinking it, but humanity at large is still open and long for me to handle, and "Zulu" is a tough poetry source of shattered alcohol and tattered sundances.
½ March 7, 2016
British imperialist message aside, I'm a sucker for awesome old-fashion epic war films
February 9, 2016
A fun movie despite it myriad of issues. It's Michael Caine in a red Victorian jacket, people!
October 4, 2015
Once a daringly-grand show piece Zulu has lost a lot of its punch over the years, reducing its impact against the modern movie goer who is used to huge sets and grand movie budgets. Despite this its still a good piece of Golden Age Brit cinema that's worth a look for anyone with good taste in cinema.
August 23, 2015
Tarda en arrancar, pero una vez en faena el espectáculo es inolvidable.
August 20, 2015
Great story telling with a fine cast and some of the best battle scenes.
June 26, 2015
Tegnap a Film Café esti repertoárjában sikerült elcsípni ezt az üde és friss darabot 64-b?l. Az üzenete világos: ne szívózz a britekkel, mert hozzák a haverokat és beütik az arcod. Még akkor is, ha a saját földedet véded ellenük, ahol egyébként semmi keresnivalójuk.
½ March 30, 2015
Has one of the most fascinating battle sequences put to film. I loved the scene where Caine says the Africans are mocking them with their music, but the other guy says the Africans are saluting them for fighting so well against impossible odds.

I doubt a movie like this could get made today where without context I couldn't help think people might overreact and call it racist. If the movie wasn't bloodless I'm not sure if it could have been made in 1964. Or maybe I'm the one overreacting thinking society is too sensitive. Anyway, great movie and it's good to see Caine in a movie where he lets loose a little and doesn't seem so stiff. The man was born to play Alfred in the Batman movies.
February 16, 2015
The most rousing war film ever, Great cast , Very good score, and singing too.
January 19, 2015
Best action movie ever. The suspense will have your heart beating louder that the Zulu warriors beating their shields! A hundred Redcoats with single shot Martini-Henry rifles defeat 4,000 Zulu warriors armed with over 1,000 of the same rifles. Michael Caine's first movie and a testament to the bravery of the Zulus.
½ January 4, 2015
So dated especially the comedic dying aka acting. But the characters are two - dimensional and you can't help rooting for them. It is an unbelievable story that dras you in.

Caine displays his early promise and Baker is at the top of his game. For its time also pretty even handed - this is no Colonial apologist.
January 3, 2015
one of the best films ever. A pinnacle of film making.
½ January 3, 2015
One of my favourite films. The classic formula of background, build-up, heightened tensions and culmination, in a closed environment. The portrayal of Hook was shameful however, so maybe a remake is due, alas Follywood would probably be even more slanderous in the face of dramatisation. "You're all going to die!"... as ever, the god believers are wrong. ;)
December 31, 2014
One of the best war moves ever made and one that still stands up after fifty years. Plenty of heroes, but no silly villans.
December 27, 2014
I don't really understand how critics loved this movie. It's not horribly bad, but I find that the big problem is the film's pacing. The film constantly alludes to a battle that happens later in the film, but spends half of it hanging around in the soldiers' quarters. It seems very pretentious that the film delays the fighting, but then again, a lot of historical films did this, and probably still do this today. To top it all off, the film is riddled with historical inaccuracies, to the point that I can't actually go into detail. Meanwhile, the performances are actually quite good, though the film's horrid pacing does not help the cause. The only thing that does help, however, are the film's picturesque visuals, which bring the film's setting to life when the acting fails. This is the kind of film that tries to be a grand historical recreation, but it suffers because of this pretention of grandeur. After all, if I can't enjoy the grandeur, then what's so grand about it?