American Horror Story: Murder House Reviews

• 3d ago

Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk introduce a great story, establishing the series' own identity, emotion and wonderful performances.

• Apr 18, 2020

Good season but not anything new until the end.

Good season but not anything new until the end.

• Mar 28, 2020

I used to be so pumped over the whole premise of ‘American Horror Story' even after finally binge-watching it in the mid-2010s when the whole Tumblr pop cult-ure scene was beginning to die out. For a primetime TV show, the thought of salacious murder, urban legends, the supernatural, and all kinds of bizarre shit in the mix stirred my fucking loins for media consumption. The program bred a new wave of weirdness for many young watchers to occupy themselves with behind the generally safe confines of this age where serial murderers and cult activities either began to die out or has gotten way less visceral. There was something so transgressive about subjects and themes meant to shock but barely rattling the genre on the surface. While "Murder House" set the tone for the seasons that followed, it also introduced us to the auspicious (and sometimes, more surprising than the plots themselves) casting the show have been known for. All the trademarks of the controversial Ryan Murphy, of course. There's a quality to AHS where the essence of each episode reminds you that it's all fiction and there's nothing convincing about all this no matter how almost compelling the plot eventually winds down to nor how occasionally good the acting is. It's a very campy horror dark comedy; I describe it like that without sounding too redundant. This may be nothing unheard of but for the most part, Jessica Lange seemed too good for this show, despite how okay enough it is as it is. Murphy dipped his paintbrush into blood and guts of pop culture references, borderline historical events and figures, and even creepypasta to create what I suspect will be a cult favourite in half a century or so, when they all look back and see what sort of weird shit we were all up to.

• Jan 18, 2020

Great season! I'm not a huge Dylan McDermott fan, I find him kind of petty and annoying in this, but maybe thats the point - but his voice grates on me. Other than that the cast is amazing, every story-line is compelling & there are a few surprises too. Worth re-watching!

• Jan 02, 2020

First time watching it. It was great! Took me a couple of episodes to understand how the show goes. It's really solid once you figure it out.

• Dec 25, 2019

Pretty boring. Original idea but burns out halfway through the season

Pretty boring. Original idea but burns out halfway through the season

• Dec 24, 2019

It's scary, bizarre, and surprisingly, I actually found myself caring for most of the characters. Aside from a few uneven episodes this is a great season.

• Dec 23, 2019

the best of this universe, the murder houseee

the best of this universe, the murder houseee

• Nov 23, 2019

An awesome start of the series.

An awesome start of the series.

• Nov 19, 2019