I'll Be Gone in the Dark: Season 1 Reviews

• 5d ago

A truly horrific story, ineptly told. Way too much emphasis on the pontificating widower of the late author.

• Jul 07, 2020

Watching this in the dark !!!

Watching this in the dark !!!

• Jul 06, 2020

If the first episode of this series is any indication of what is to come then I won't watch the rest of the episodes. There is a moment about three-quarters of the way through this episode where a woman describes being attacked and raped as a 15-year-old. It is truly compelling and terrifying all at the time. Nothing about it is manufactured. The vast majority of this episode is about McNamara and others' obsession with true crime. I don't have a problem with that so long as you don't exploit the victims in order to sell a documentary about obsession. The attempts to read parts of the books aloud to induce suspense and tension fall flat in my opinion, especially after the compelling description of being attacked and raped by a victim. I cannot imagine how this woman feels watching this documentary and finding out that what was done to her was less important than a person's obsession with what was done to her. In my opinion, the movie Zodiac does a far better job of showing this obsession in the form of Robert Graysmith, but it does so as part of the overall story. My fault findings are with Garbus and not with the late Michelle McNamara or Oswald Patton.

• Jul 06, 2020

Even a non-true crime fan will enjoy this thrilling and suspenseful HBO series.

Even a non-true crime fan will enjoy this thrilling and suspenseful HBO series.