The Orville: Season 2 Reviews

• 5d ago

Intelligent and funny. The science fiction isn't pedestrian, and the humor isn't watered down for network TV. I love it.

• 6d ago

omg...season two is better then season one?! Unheard of but such a great surprise and relief.

• Jul 13, 2019

Much better over the first season. More drama, less ridiculous comedy and this show has places to go.

• Jul 12, 2019

I was already pleased with this dramedy homage to Star Trek the Next Generation, but this season has really honed itself into a much stronger work. The show has found its legs. The comedy, while still funny, is used more sparingly. A lot more effort is put into character development. Both Dr. Finn (Penny Johnson Jerald) and Lt. Kitan (Halston Sage) have some juicy storylines. However, it's Scott Grimes' Lt. Malloy who really stands out. When he started off last year, he was the less disciplined, less respectable friend of the captain. Now, though, he's become sort of the relatable underdog. He brings some great pathos to a couple episodes. The storytelling has really gone up a notch, featuring many interesting allegories for the current world. There are a lot more episodes taking place on the ship. I'm guessing the planet-bound episodes cost more and the ratings have been on the fence, unfortunately. (Though when we do see special effects, they do look pretty nice for network television.) I really didn't mind because of the quality of the episodes. On the downside, a couple characters got short shrift. Lt. Cmdr. LaMarr (J. Lee) barely gets anything to do. Cmdr. Grayson (Adrianne Palicki) doesn't have much of a story outside of the relationship with her ex. Too much time is spent on Lt. Cmdr. Bortus (Peter Macon) and his mate Klyden (Chad L. Colema) and the Moclan race in general. Don't get me wrong: Bortus is a good character, and the Moclans serve as an excellent representation of more conservative countries and cultures. Still, Bortus and Klyden steal focus from the rest of the cast, and the Moclans can become exhausting after a while. Also, this is a Seth McFarlane show. I find from time to time that his subconscious views on male/female relations can be a little askew/unhealthy. Overall, I liked this season a lot more than the last, and I felt it offered some excellent individual episodes of television.

• Jun 25, 2019

Awesome, Way better than Discovery which Discovery thinks it's Star Trek But It isn't.

• Jun 15, 2019

When all hope is lost, the Torch of Star Trek is help him by this Series

When all hope is lost, the Torch of Star Trek is help him by this Series

• Jun 03, 2019

This is how you do a good warm hearted sci fi show.

This is how you do a good warm hearted sci fi show.

• Jun 01, 2019

Great stories and great acting all around.

Great stories and great acting all around.

• May 31, 2019

Season 2 continues to be excellent, though less funny. The show creators refused to buckle under the pressure to make it another brainless series.

• May 30, 2019

Loved it. Its the REAL Star Trek successor. I wish CBS would take notes from it.