All Night Long - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All Night Long Reviews

April 11, 2015
This is no great piece of cinematic art, but it is also undeserving of these low ratings. This is an American "adult comedy" that feels rather French. At the time the movie was fatally advertised as a "sexy" Streisand movie. It is not. This is a quiet and sweet study of a man facing a loveless marriage, unemployment and loneliness as he moves into his middle age. Gene Hackman delivers his typical flawless and realistically comic work. Streisand is surprisingly understated in a supporting role. Bad Hollywood marketing campaign aside, this little movie about a man pursuing his dreams is actually quite charming.
½ April 7, 2014
Yes, it is very slight but Barbra is doing something pretty brave here and Gene Hackman is adorable. It's just 88 minutes so give it a go.
February 8, 2011
quirky movie w/ hackman and streisand.
½ January 17, 2010
Slight but quirky comedy, directed with a certain European sensibility, with Gene Hackman as a middle manager who walks out on his boring desk job to run the night-shift at a drugstore, and making the moves on his son's lover, who turns out to be married. The scenes in the drugstore come off better than the love scenes with Streisand, who was a last minute cast change.
½ January 7, 2010
oh...my...GAWD!...the only redeeming quality of this movie was barbra's early 80's, well sculpted hair( which has inspired me for future do's)...no wonder I have never heard of this movie
½ November 24, 2008
Quite dated with poor acting for the most part. The film tries to pass as a comedy; however, the irony isn't as humourous as intended. There were a couple fantastic scenes including when Hackman packs his bags after being accused of an affair and then some early scenes with Quaid as the aloof, horny teenage son. Since the subtle humour bombed, the serious nature of extramarital affairs appears to not be treated with the respect it deserves.
August 8, 2008
Advertised as "a zany Barbra Streisand comedy in the vein of 'What's Up, Doc?'", "All Night Long" is anything but a zany Streisand comedy. I've wanted to see this film for years, one of the only Barbra movies that I haven't seen, and I have to say that I am fairly disappointed. "All Nigt Long" is essentially a Gene Hackman comedy vehicle, which is sad because Hackman doesn't really seem to understand the material that he's working with. The screenplay isn't very strong - there are few truly humorous moments in the 90 min. running time - and the cast doesn't seem to work well together. The only good part about the film is Streisand herself, who bring what little bit of comedy there is in the film. Even her performance is off. She looks unsure of herself, and there is absolutely no chemistry between Hackman and herself. After searching for the film for years, I can see why it has never recieved a DVD release. There's absolutely no comparing this film to ANY of Barbra's other efforts. "A Star is Born", it ain't.
April 10, 2008
Streisand is all that is cruel and evil in this world. Her music is awful. Her movies are worse. She loves the sound of orgasms. Can you say weird? I can't without saying Striesand. I have smelt farts taht entertained me more than BABS ever will. Rosie O'Donnel's ever growing love for her sickens me. Vote libertarian.
½ March 22, 2008
This is actually not a Barbra Streisand movie. It is a Gene Hackman movie with sweet performances by Diane Ladd and Dennis Quaid.

Streisand, it turns out, was a last minute replacement in a part that she really shouldn't have played - it isn't a good match ON PAPER; the character should be younger, prettier, sexier, less showy. It is a really bad fit. AND YET. It shows her at some of her most delightful acting. There are some truly touching scenes in this picture.

It's worth a look and a slow Sunday afternoon. It won't bowl you over; but it's not a terrible flick.
September 22, 2007
my least fav barbra movie... its just... not her! #1 there is not enough of her in it, #2 she just can't pull off the dumb blonde thing very well, she is too intelligent for that crap!
½ September 14, 2007
Probably one of the worst films I have ever seen.
August 19, 2007
that's how long she FUCKs.
July 2, 2007
Pretty dumb movie :(
½ May 28, 2007
Captures a trend in movies as we closed out the 70s -- Streisand gives a strong winning performance in this so-so comedy.
April 12, 2007
cruel, sadistic like it or hate it
½ February 19, 2007
How can anyone resist a movie who's tagline is "Human beings are garbage". Sign me up! Actually this film is not near as disturbing as the 2 others in the trilogy, but having said that, this film is disturbing as fuck. I prefer my nihilistic films to be more about ideas than a piece of junk shock value film, and the ideas in this whole trilogy are simply terrible, but very confrontational. An excellent nasty movie.
January 31, 2007
more like pump pump squwert
January 27, 2007
this movie looks strange
September 29, 2006
Not into this kind of thing.
½ September 16, 2006
These are the kind of movies that mistake a graphic depiction of a girl being raped, beaten, and left to die in a dumpster as some sort of comment on man's cruelty to others. Apart from it's sadism and rampant homophobia, the trilogy's biggest flaw is how dumb it is. The countless scenes of torment, humiliation, and slaughter recalls "Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom" without the anger or insight and "American Psycho" without the dark humour and wider social context; the characters and events exist in a vacuum, a world practically divorced from reality, and the results are more tedious and unenlightening than anything.