Requiem - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Requiem Reviews

January 16, 2017
Really well made. No cheap stuff whatsoever. Good, serious acting.
July 26, 2015
Brilliant portrayal of the fatal damage done by the misguided belief that a serious mental illness coupled with epilepsy is not physical or psychological but rather is demonic and must be exorcised. As an atheist I found it extremely difficult to watch the damage being done by the religious people around the young woman. Well acted and drives the point home of the folly of religion. This film is based on a real life case, that of Anneliese Michel of Bavaria. The film "The Exorcist" was based on the same case. In real life the Priests attempted 12 exorcisms on Anneliese only stopping because she died, in her parent's home, of exhaustion. Thankfully there was justice in that her parents were convicted of manslaughter. I think this film is truly aptly named "Requiem". It is a testament to a life sadly wasted to the folly of religious belief gone too far.
½ July 22, 2015
Slow paced, but intriguing psychological "horror" film. My main complaint is its unsatisfying ending.
½ February 9, 2015
Anneliese Michel story without Hollywood touch.
½ February 18, 2014
This is not your typical Exorcism film partially because of the sense of realism and the biographical nature. It comments on the reconciling of religion vs. science. Although it is not a so called horror film it can still be extremely disconcerting. Maybe that is partially because of the lead performance by Sandra Hueller or the fact that they actually begin to care for these characters a bit.
½ January 29, 2014
Interesting drama with an amazing lead role by Sandra Hueller. It stumbles to mantain balance between the many aspects of the story, but it wasnt as bad as it coudlve been.
January 9, 2014
Definitely much more realistic than the American remake. There's no horror, but still Sandra Huller's performance gives you thrills. I liked how they used Deep Purple's Anthem, it was so fitting.
½ November 21, 2013
This is quite possibly one of the most depressing and realistic movies I have ever seen.
Cameron W. Johnson
October 27, 2013
As Darren Aronofsky most definitely told us, any film with "Requiem" in its title doesn't need to be horror to be messed up, as surely as a German doesn't need to be possessed to be disturbing. That's right, we're talking about German demons here, schätzchen, so Jews, now is definitely time to start thinking about converting. It's an insensitive thing to say, I know, but strictly from the religious angle of that joke, my faith is too loose for me to care, and this film doesn't exactly help, because with all my joking about the tainting of the souls of these "Krautstians" (Tee-hee), this is more like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", in that it's about the "possibility" of someone being possessed, only it's almost thirty minutes shorter than "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". Good movie and all, but seriously, 1973's "The Exorcism" dragged enough when you actually knew that demonic stuff was going down, and that's where this film comes in, actually, if you will, "exorcising" some fat around the edges, probably because it doesn't want to spend too much time thinking about the possibility that this whole possession nonsense is bogus, seeing as how the director and producer is named Hans-[u]Christian[/u] Schmid. I hope that's a coincidence, because if it's not, then it's about as unsubtle as "Dominion" coming out with the subtitle "Prequel to the Exorcist" in order to blatantly tell people that it should be thought of as the definitive interpretation of the same subject matter touched upon by "Exorcist: The Beginning", something that this film probably should have done, for although "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" is good, you can forget about all that, because the subject matter that it and this film share is inspired by a story about a "possessed" girl who was... wait for it... [b]German[/b]! I'd say, "Das boom!", but that's lame, and at any rate, this is still a loose interpretation of the story of Anneliese Michel, or at least it claims to be, because seeing as how it focuses more on the possibility that there were no demons involved, it's more accurate to what really happened. Like I said, my faith is loose, but I can still enjoy a good religious film, like, well, "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", which I have even more appreciation for after this visit to Okto[u]bore[/u]fest, which, to be fair, has some things to commend.

Quiet and dry to a tremendous fault, this film doesn't boast much in the way of musical value, going so far as to not employ a score composer, but when the soundtrack kicks in with some classic tunes, things go livened up a bit, while tone receives some compliments, augmented by cinematography by Bogumil Godfrejów that is fairly flat in plenty of places, but has a certain cold taste in coloring that has its attractive and fitting moments. Really, I'm stretching a bit when I compliment the film's musical and visual style, because on a stylistic level, this film really isn't all that outstanding, or at least isn't outstanding enough for style to breathe some life into substance on its own, and that's where Hans-Christian Schmid comes in... for a moment at least. Schmid, as director, makes way too many questionable moves, with one of the biggest ones being a cold, meditative atmosphere that, upon running out of material, really distances you, and yet, with that said, when material does settle back in, the meditativeness comes in handy, whether when Schmid is establishing a hint of tension to what few horror elements there are to this drama, or drawing on dramatic resonance. On the whole, the film is a dramatic mess, but it has its moments, and those moments really do justice to the potential of this story concept, which is limited, make no mistake, - seeing as how this subject matter is too minimalist for its own good - but still there, primarily found within thematic depth and dramatic ambiguities that make this mysterious "thriller" intriguing on some level. The conclusion of the film undercuts the ambiguities' effectiveness, but the mystery behind this study on a woman struggling to determine if she is one terrible thing or another keeps things going a bit, though not quite like the acting, which does about as much as anything in almost saving the film, primarily thanks to leading lady Sandra Hüller, whose fiercely convincing and subtly layers portrayal of a terrified and confused woman carries more than a few parts in this meandering drama. Hüller does what she can with what she's been given to do, and it's still not enough, but it sure is worth mentioning, as Hüller's performance marks a particular height in inspiration, which is ultimately too lacking for the film to escape mediocrity, but present enough for the final product to come to the brink of decency. Alas, the final product does not cross over, having highlights, but even more missteps, and even plenty of problematic areas within its story concept.

Well, I suppose this film's more dramatic approach to elements that have been just about trademark in horror film following subject matter of this type is somewhat refreshing, but outside of that, this is hardly anything new, and no matter how much ambiguities settle predictability, this path is still trope-heavy, and those familiar beats draw your attention more towards natural shortcomings in this conventional story concept. "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" is good and all, but if you thought that a two-hour-long trial regarding an exorcism made for a do-little story, as irony would have it, this study on the conceptually intriguing events leading up to that fateful trial is even more do-little, with only so much to tell us, no matter how long it takes to get its 2 in. Just barely falling around the 90-minute mark, this film is very short, and yet, it still takes plenty of time to drag its feet, just about to no end, getting to be blandly excessive with meandering, repetitious material, if not filler, which retards momentum more and more until, before to long, the film becomes just plain aimless. Really, pacing ultimately plays a key role in driving the final product into mediocrity, as it thins out focus so much that it gets to be difficult to get a grip on the engaging elements of this dramatically thin opus, especially with an atmosphere that is even more limp than plot pacing. Like I said, when director Hans-Christian Schmid happens across material to soak up with meditative storytelling, the film is effective, but as you can guess by now, material is very limited, so more often than not, the naturalistic, draggy storytelling dries things to the bone, with no liveliness and little resonance, until blandness goes firmly secured, growing more and more considerable until dullness ensues, then continues to bland up until resonance is completely lost. Really, while there's more to complain about than commend here, there are only so many problems with this film, yet what missteps there are go a long, long way, and that especially goes for the atmospheric dryness, for although the film could have kept its highlights and found itself secured as simply dull, the overly naturalist, overly meditative approach that Schmid takes to thin subject matter drives compellingness off. I'm not saying that this film was ever to be all that meaty, but regardless of the highlights, questionable and formulaic storytelling emphasizes natural shortcomings so much that I just couldn't get invested, thus making the final product a mediocre one.

In conclusion, a decent soundtrack and highlights in cinematography liven things up a smidge, while highlights in meditative storytelling and a strong lead performance by Sandra Hüller do enough justice to the worthy elements of this story concept for the final product to come to the brink of decency, but this subject matter is ultimately too limited intrigue, and too backed by conventionalism, repetitious dragging and atmospheric cold spells that are not simply dull, but distancing for Hans Christian-Smid's "Requiem" to avoid collapse through all of its promising beats, into mediocrity.

2.25/5 - Mediocre
July 9, 2013
A painfully real performance by Sandra Hueller, makes this harrowing story a great character study into mental illness and the Catholic church.
½ March 31, 2013
Requiem is a drama in which Micheala, who suffers from epilepsy, attempts to live the life of a normal 20-something. More sinister interpretations are read into her affliction, which result in her becoming subject to several exorcisms. This shares a source story with the American film The Exorcism of Emily Rose, a film that I thought I had seen however it turns out the film that I saw was The Last Exorcism, have we had too many 'exorcism' films recently? Sandra Hueller is great in the lead role, and plays it in an understated manner, which is in keeping with the tone of the film. Requiem never really tries to be a horror film, instead it depicts the events leading up to the exorcisms. It does feel slightly abrupt, however to have morphed into a full-blown horror film for the final act wouldn't have sat well. It's no classic but its a curiously interesting film.
March 11, 2013
All exorcism movies should be foreign.
February 11, 2013
Wow this is one of Oley's favorite films?! But I won't be checking it out, mainly due to the fact that I'm sure he's trying to say that Requiem For A Dream is one of his favorites and not this one. Specify dude, we're not mind readers and all aren't down with your shortening lingo, specifically "facebook".
February 7, 2013
One of the most human views in the "exorcism genre" (ignited by William Friedkin's classic), this time centering the conflict in a character study through Huller's intense performance. Requiem may not provide the usual thrills, but its constant questioning of how inspiring people into salvation is at the same time an admition of dispair and loneliness is deep enough to chew.
January 17, 2013
A gripping (as much as unpleasant) t film based on real events. The performances are all great while Scmid's methodical direction and clear sight really impress.
½ December 9, 2012
Studied examination of exorcism is slow but intelligent.
November 17, 2012
Ended on a question mark: Was she possessed or just off her meds??...
November 10, 2012
THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE made an intriguing blend of horror and courtroom drama and REQUIEM presented horror as a psychological drama ... Both give me a more respectful perspective of the genre.
½ October 29, 2012
I know there is a imperceptible line between demonic possession and psychotic episodes, but the subtleness in this movie gives the events no power.
½ October 3, 2012
Going in thinking its gonna get a wicked kind of scare into you but rather disturbs you emotionally espically with Sandra Huellers connecting performance is what makes this movie noteworthy. The fact the film easily ranks religion on a worst level then disease makes this movie intriguing enough. Although some parts can turn into a bore and definitly wont hook the give me boobs and blood horror audience, it will hook the patient and artsy kind. This is the real Exorcist and just because theres no head spinning and killing doesnt make this film any less scary but rather more terrifying with the factual circumstances.