The Violin (El Violin) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Violin (El Violin) Reviews

October 9, 2015
This is a cinematic masterpiece. A real jet and a guaranteed classic.
June 6, 2014
Esta película es una película muy sencilla pero muy conmovedora y entretenida.
½ May 30, 2014
This is one of those simple movies that captivate you.
½ May 17, 2014
Simple, yet very well conducted, and well written.
½ July 12, 2013
Una obra de tal belleza que duele. Una dirección de tal precisión que quema. La historia es una realidad desafortunada, pero sincera.
½ April 30, 2013
They are not real actors and that's why their looks are wonderful, they don't even need to speak because the look in their eyes tells all of the story, the story is in their eyes... Excelent film, wonderful story, shame that they can't be appreciate in their own country
½ January 22, 2013
An all too "true" story about Latin American political issues told from the perspective of a small group of rebels with their backs against the wall. Without naming any names or actual locations this film has a strong political message about the decades of turmoil that have faced many of our Central and South American neighbors for decades.
½ September 5, 2012
Una historia triste pero que se siente en todo momento real. No queda mas que sentir empatía por los personajes, buenas actuaciones, historia bien contada, sin duda una excelente película
½ July 1, 2012
A film that shows us that dialogue can still be used effectively.
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting.
½ January 8, 2012
This is the third-best Spanish film I have ever seen. And what makes it worth while is the tension and the writing involved. There are moments in the film when you are tense to the point that you are worried about these characters and what they are going through. You know you have made an achievement in a career when you make an audience tense to the point of heavy-breathing and fear. Especially if you do so in the very first film that you direct. What adds on to the greatness of this film is the acting, because every actor in this film is incredible. Especially the actor of the main character, Plutarco. The acting only makes the film more believable.

What gives a feeling of tension within the film is the cinematography. For it being only in black-and-white, there are shots in the film that really do get you involved, combined with the great lighting. This is another interesting-as-hell film that is worth watching. But I don't want to recommend it to a certain audience. There are certain things that will either make you love it or hate it.
December 9, 2011
What a beautiful film despite the horrors.
June 1, 2011
Easily, the best film I've seen all year! Such an amazing story that takes place without a specific time frame, It could happen today, tomorrow or 100 years ago! Truly masterful storytelling, amazing cinematography and masterful film making. It's one of those films I wouldn't change a single shot from. Absolutely beautiful, Art.
May 30, 2011
Excellent B&W photography. Some very good acting from Angel Tavira in the role of Plutarco Hidalgo. Outstanding debut for the director Francisco Vargas.
April 8, 2011
A great, but sad Mexican film.
February 20, 2011
A Must see.....inspirational and well done....
January 14, 2011
Excellent, a very raw, real life movie. I know people all over the world have lived experiences like this and in my western industrialized little world, I can't even imagine what this might be like.
October 10, 2010
El detrás de cámaras me hace dar un puntaje mayor al que de primera vista pensaba asignar, pues este extra es una película en sí, incluso mejor editada y mejor musicalizada que la película en si.

Hay que considerar la participación de â??no actoresâ??, el tiempo límite para lograr terminarla, las condiciones del protagonista, las locaciones, el ser la primer película del director y de muchos de los participantes.