The Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Women Reviews

November 16, 2017
Murphy Brown creator Diane English tried to get this film made for fifteen years. Many of the choices in casting were exceptional, especially Meg Ryan as Mary Haines, who was the perfect relatable woman done bad by her hubby. Eva Mendes is an effortlessly salacious vixen, as the revamped Crystal Allen, as well.

Otherwise, many of the characters and complex plot points were completely changed, for the better. Sylvia Fowler (Bening) is no longer a chatty gossip with a penchant for ruining lives. Now she is the editor-in-chief of a fashion magazine, completely single and loving it, and motivated by ambition rather than petty jealousy. Debra Messing's character seems to be an amalgamation, who represents motherhood, fertility, and the complexities of the American family. Jada Pinkett Smith's character is also a blend of characters, a welcome change as she is also a strong lesbian character, which was only hinted at in the original.

Of course, the Reno angle was scrapped, as we live in a world where divorces can be much simpler and reasonable. Instead of plotting and planning her imminent reconciliation with her husband, Mary changes herself and becomes a stronger and more thoughtful designer and mother. This is much better in comparison, because the film is no longer geared at the idea of having a man, getting a man, losing a man, or missing a man. Instead it is a film about how women can thrive and move forward, and the importance of female friendships. Of course, the problem with this change is that we have seen it before. (Sex and the City, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Crazy, Stupid, Love, The Other Woman etc.) There's nothing new about the narrative of woman can do bad all by herself. Without the original's biting wit, sophistication, or the idea that cattiness and tearing down other women gets you what you want, this doesn't work. It's simply gimmicky and stale.

It's understandable that English would try and remove the grotesquely backward thinking of the original and create a unique and thoughtful adaptation that would celebrate women instead of canonize men. A better way to accomplish this is to keep the gimmick but completely change the story. An even better accomplishment would be to create a woman driven story without drawing attention to the fact that she's a woman, which is what Murphy Brown did when it premiered twenty years before this film was released. As much as I would like to tout this film as a decent feminist adaptation of a work in the male gaze, I can't.
August 15, 2017
First I want to say, interesting how all the main and harsh critics are men...

Nevertheless, I love this movie. I haven't seen the original, but it seems all of you were expecting to see the same movie. However, I guess lax chick flicks like this don't get the highest ratings ever. If you're looking for an Oscar nom or a 1930's remake, this isn't for you. If you're looking for a film about real successful women and situations for a chill night, I recommend this!
½ July 2, 2017
Absolute crap. Phenomenal talent, completely wasted.
June 17, 2017
What a crap! Give me my 2 hours back !!!
March 18, 2017
It's watchable, but it's pretty bad. Say you had a group of g/f's over, you could watch it b/c it doesn't really matter if you pay attention, the plot kinda wonky, it's more of a glossy commercial for hair pieces, houses and clothes than anything else.
March 7, 2017
Amusing. Entertaining. Lovely cast of strong women.
½ January 7, 2017
For having all women in the film, women writing and directing this piece, you'd think they wouldn't validly write women in such broad cliche strokes. Totally meaningless.
January 3, 2017
The 1930s original probably feels more cutting-edge than this re-do.
½ June 27, 2016
Way to ruin something that the 1930s never broke!
½ February 1, 2016
One of the very worst films of 2008 - makes the mediocre "Sex and the City" look masterful, sharp and fresh.
½ August 28, 2015
Oh god don't get me started on this shit. It's so bad I felt compelled to write a huge review about the film on RYM. If ever there was a claim for too much art in the world, I would put this forward as a prime candidate to be eliminated first.
August 15, 2015
In the beginning it looks like it's gonna be a talk talk talk movie , it was a bit but when comes out that Mary's husband sheet her with Crystal the story went a bit better . Anette Bening was a terrible caracter in this one !!! SOMDVD
July 21, 2015
I really enjoyed the relationships and friendships that were developed and followed throughout the movie.
June 18, 2015
This was an okay film, with good characters. I struggle thru one hour of the movie, after I understood it. This had some of the good looking ladies. Sometimes I thought they over acted in the film, but at the end it ended with an interesting point to understand. So for this being an okay film and mostly the whole point is told to a women and its reffer to a women, I give "The Women" a C.
May 6, 2015
Even though I haven't seen the original, I don't think this remake is deserving of all its bad reviews. The women ARE types, but they represent all the different complexities of women, for better or worse: the woman who tries to be everything (Mary), the woman who IS everything until she isn't (Sylvie), the woman who knows everything and shares it (Tanya), the woman who knows everything and hides it (Edie and Catherine), the woman who observes everything and just laughs (Alex), and the woman who wants everything just because (Crystal).

That last motivation for the ostensible villain is admittedly weak, but the rest of the movie isn't so much rah-rah woman-power, but just woman-life without posturing, cattiness, or easy choices.
April 15, 2015
I really like this movie & I love the cast. There's nothing spectacular about it though aside from fact that there isn't a single man in it but it is a good fluff type/cute chick flick.
½ March 15, 2015
I love the original version better than this updated one, but I still liked it. The cast, Like the original, is entirely comprised of only women, but what an All-star cast !!! Meg Ryan, Annette Benning, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Debra Messing, Eva Mendes, Better Midler, Candice Bergen... wow! Watch it with the BFF and pinky swear to be better friends. Thanks for reading. Enjoy!
½ January 17, 2015
Fun movie but not the best. Jada Pinkett Smith was hot, funny and great in the movie. Fun girl flick.
½ December 25, 2014
There's nothing particularly great about the story; woman gets cheated on, and spends the rest of the movie trying to find herself. And the characters feel more silly than real. But I'll applaud the movie at least for its full female cast. Even a movie this uninspired can be enjoyable on the basis of all female faces and voices.