The Apartment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Apartment Reviews

September 11, 2017
Heartwarming, humorous, and downright scandalous. This movie had me enthralled from beginning to end. I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't seen any Jack Lemmon movies before watching The Apartment, but this movie just made me into a huge fan of his! Lemmon, MacLaine, and MacMurray make the perfect cast for this movie; I can't imagine any other actors (even considering all the other extraordinarily talented actors and actresses of the 1950s and 1960s) pulling off these roles convincingly. I knew that Baxter (Lemmon) and Kubelik (MacLaine) were going to end up with each other in the end (I mean, they had to, right? could the movie end any other way?), but I still found myself genuinely smiling with joy when they began playing gin rummy on Baxter's couch right before the screen faded to black. From its storyline to its acting, The Apartment is a prime example of how romantic comedies should be done, and it's a film I know I'll continue to get a lot out of when I inevitably watch it again in the future.
September 10, 2017
What a wonderful movie, let me tell ya. It's one of those movies you remember for a long time. Great storytelling and writing by Billy Wilder. I like how the movie, although cheery and lighthearted, still touched on some dark topics without taking it out of proportion.

Fantastic Comedy/Romance movie. A re-watch is in order.
August 6, 2017
10 out of 10:

The Apartment is moving, tragic, and a few times funny. It also has some amazing performances, lavish cinematography, and a smart story.
July 25, 2017
What a wonderful, touching film this is, starring Jack Lemmon at his most tragically sweet and minimal, resulting in what his probably his best performance, with MacLaine and McMurray providing an equal measure of humanity. Screenplay by Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond that every aspiring filmmaker or cinephile should read.
May 30, 2017
Jack Lemmon plays C.C. Baxter, an over-accommodating insurance grunt, trying his best to climb the corporate ladder by offering favors to his superiors. In this case, those favors include the use of his bachelor pad for extramarital affairs, and Baxter often finds himself literally shut out in the cold while the bigwigs have their fun. At heart, it's a tale of the meek taking orders from the boastful, allowing themselves to be taken advantage of for fear of a distant, looming consequence. Baxter soaks up this treatment, of course, but so does his longtime crush, the lovely elevator girl Fran (Shirley MacLaine), who's found herself tangled in the complicated web of an office manager. Both reach personal lows, defeated by the world and pestered by constant external irritations, but see something familiar in each other that gradually nurtures a renewed sense of self-assurance. Hopeful without feeling unrealistic, melancholy but not menacing, draining and also uplifting, it smoothly harvests a large crop of emotions before producing a set of forever-altered characters in the closing shot. Very well-made, affecting cinema that still feels relevant fifty-plus years later, my only nitpick is that it drags just a bit in getting to the point of the third act.
½ March 24, 2017
Love it . The story-line was good. The acting was pretty good and the romantic love story proceeded well. I really loved the reality of the movie, based upon real problems women face out there. And I love it when movies have a happy ending.
March 15, 2017
So much talent, but the story really seemed to drag in places.
March 10, 2017
With flashes of wit, brevity, and comic brilliance, this is a soulfully poignant film that explores the throes of self-hatred and the downfalls of being too charitable. While it seems to be a lighthearted romantic comedy on its surface, it's a dark, cynical and profoundly sad picture just beneath the surface - just like its characters. Typically brilliant work from Wilder; who outdoes himself with this 1960 best picture winner.
½ February 28, 2017
In addition to being one of the rare comedies to win Best Picture, it's aged better that just about every other Oscar winner before it.
½ January 2, 2017
The Apartment finds Billy Wilder at his dismal yet still sharply funny best, with charming, funny and heartbreaking performances from Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine as two lonely souls trapped in a predicament neither have control over and save each other in their hour of need.
½ January 2, 2017
C.C. Baxter (Jack Lemmon) is an ambitious office drone who gets ahead by lending his apartment to office superiors looking for a discrete place to conduct their extramarital affairs. This greatly helps Baxter whenever it comes time for a raise or promotion, but things get complicated once he falls for his boss' mistress (Shirley MacLaine). This is a Billy Wilder comedy with I.A.L. Diamond credited on the screenplay, so The Apartment possesses tart humor, fleshed-out characters, and a keen grasp on exaggerating human foibles while keeping things relatable. What elevates The Apartment above Billy Wilder's rock-solid catalog is the heart, sadness, and sincerity that finds a way to cut through that Wilder skepticism. This film is simply one of the best romantic comedies ever made.
December 22, 2016
Amusing comedy whereby a guy is manipulated into loaning his flat out to various co workers for extramarital affairs
December 7, 2016
Classic. On Blu-ray.
November 24, 2016
A deeply involving dramatic romance with great dialogue and three-dimensional characters (even if the plot is a bit predictable), and it is quite a curious thing that this film is labeled by many as a comedy when in fact it is so melancholy and rather heavy in tone.
November 6, 2016
Quite nice flat to be. Romantic comedy with nice performances of Lemmon and McLane. See if you want to know an alternative use for a tennis racket.
½ October 2, 2016
92%
Terrific film. Cynical, realistic and unusually themed for its time. Though it was shot in black and white, the film doesn't leave an impression that it's something made during a time of taboo and massive censoring in Hollywood. Director Billy Wilder must be given all credits and the film makes sure that it isn't weighed down by excessive romanticism. Jack Lemmon again strikes gold in his lead role.
½ September 21, 2016
A much-deserved "Best Picture" winner in 1960, "The Apartment" is, on the surface, a comedy, but at its core, it is a dark societal parody addressing common taboos avoided in much of Hollywood till this era such as extramarital affairs, divorce, and drug usage. Both realistic and idealistic, "The Apartment" has a fantastic script and some great acting. Most notable is the main protagonist Jack Lemmon who plays the over-worked and under-appreciated C.C. Baxter, an everyday man working at a New York City insurance corporation. C.C., in order to gain prestige and recognition within the company, loans out his apartment to several co-workers for discreet late-night flings. The film portrays a version of America far different from the squeaky-clean view of the everything-is-fine 1950s. Here, the very nature of the American business and opportunity is revealed to be corrupt, where the man on top will always back-stab underlings with gossip and frequently participate in the same shady underbelly activities as the underlings he disposes of. It also shows the limited and frustratingly immoral manner in which one has to climb the ladder of success to achieve an upper-management position.

"The Apartment" was very controversial at the time for its sexual overtones; no sex scenes were shown, per se, but the script was peppered with oblique innuendos such as direct mentions to "ring a ding ding" activities. Perhaps the most controversial aspect of the film was not in the adulterous affairs within C.C. Baxter's apartment, but the semi-graphic portrayal of drug overdosage. Shirley MacLaine, well-mannered elevator operator and two-way lover stuck in the middle of a secret triangle between C.C. and Fred MacMurray's Mr. Sheldrake, is so distraught and ridden with rejection that she consumes an entire bottle of sleeping pills, barely getting out of the predicament alive. Even when she does recover, she is left with suicidal thoughts and nasty hangovers. Remember, this movie was made in 1960, not 1990, so much of this stuff was ahead-of-its time and shocking to witness on the silver screen.

My one and only complain with "The Apartment" is the half-assed ending. Honestly, the scene when C.C. refuses the offer of a second-in-command position at the (literal) top of the building next to Mr. Sheldrake's office would have been the most compelling finish. In such a rigged business system where corruption and secrets abound, nobody can or will stop bad boys at playing shady games, hence why corruption is so prevalent today. What happened instead, which I absolutely hated, is that C.C. suddenly grew a heart and uncharacteristically refused to be part of the system and left. Everything that followed felt like a typical, paint-by-the-numbers happy ending, including Shirley MacLaine's running through the city to get to her lover-boy. (I guess the both ended happily ever after playing cards.) I would have much preferred a darker, more realistic ending, as everything else in "The Apartment" strived to echo problems in contemporary American society.
August 13, 2016
there's a certain amount of sadness when you have nowhere (or nobody) else to go to on holidays. and the sense of companion surprisingly lies on somebody you never thought would be there to share the bit of loneliness.
one of the best love stories told on screen. the selfless act of love resulted in a genuine, ever-growing, reciprocity. <3
August 12, 2016
A classic. Jack Lemmon kills it.
July 23, 2016