The Apartment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Apartment Reviews

½ October 2, 2016
Terrific film. Cynical, realistic and unusually themed for its time. Though it was shot in black and white, the film doesn't leave an impression that it's something made during a time of taboo and massive censoring in Hollywood. Director Billy Wilder must be given all credits and the film makes sure that it isn't weighed down by excessive romanticism. Jack Lemmon again strikes gold in his lead role.
½ September 21, 2016
A much-deserved "Best Picture" winner in 1960, "The Apartment" is, on the surface, a comedy, but at its core, it is a dark societal parody addressing common taboos avoided in much of Hollywood till this era such as extramarital affairs, divorce, and drug usage. Both realistic and idealistic, "The Apartment" has a fantastic script and some great acting. Most notable is the main protagonist Jack Lemmon who plays the over-worked and under-appreciated C.C. Baxter, an everyday man working at a New York City insurance corporation. C.C., in order to gain prestige and recognition within the company, loans out his apartment to several co-workers for discreet late-night flings. The film portrays a version of America far different from the squeaky-clean view of the everything-is-fine 1950s. Here, the very nature of the American business and opportunity is revealed to be corrupt, where the man on top will always back-stab underlings with gossip and frequently participate in the same shady underbelly activities as the underlings he disposes of. It also shows the limited and frustratingly immoral manner in which one has to climb the ladder of success to achieve an upper-management position.

"The Apartment" was very controversial at the time for its sexual overtones; no sex scenes were shown, per se, but the script was peppered with oblique innuendos such as direct mentions to "ring a ding ding" activities. Perhaps the most controversial aspect of the film was not in the adulterous affairs within C.C. Baxter's apartment, but the semi-graphic portrayal of drug overdosage. Shirley MacLaine, well-mannered elevator operator and two-way lover stuck in the middle of a secret triangle between C.C. and Fred MacMurray's Mr. Sheldrake, is so distraught and ridden with rejection that she consumes an entire bottle of sleeping pills, barely getting out of the predicament alive. Even when she does recover, she is left with suicidal thoughts and nasty hangovers. Remember, this movie was made in 1960, not 1990, so much of this stuff was ahead-of-its time and shocking to witness on the silver screen.

My one and only complain with "The Apartment" is the half-assed ending. Honestly, the scene when C.C. refuses the offer of a second-in-command position at the (literal) top of the building next to Mr. Sheldrake's office would have been the most compelling finish. In such a rigged business system where corruption and secrets abound, nobody can or will stop bad boys at playing shady games, hence why corruption is so prevalent today. What happened instead, which I absolutely hated, is that C.C. suddenly grew a heart and uncharacteristically refused to be part of the system and left. Everything that followed felt like a typical, paint-by-the-numbers happy ending, including Shirley MacLaine's running through the city to get to her lover-boy. (I guess the both ended happily ever after playing cards.) I would have much preferred a darker, more realistic ending, as everything else in "The Apartment" strived to echo problems in contemporary American society.
August 13, 2016
there's a certain amount of sadness when you have nowhere (or nobody) else to go to on holidays. and the sense of companion surprisingly lies on somebody you never thought would be there to share the bit of loneliness.
one of the best love stories told on screen. the selfless act of love resulted in a genuine, ever-growing, reciprocity. <3
August 12, 2016
A classic. Jack Lemmon kills it.
July 23, 2016
Shirley was adorable at 26
½ July 19, 2016
Wilder certainly deserved the Best Screenplay Oscar for this one.
July 10, 2016
The Apartment is definitely a classic. Cute, charming, and definitely an honest take on the business world, The Apartment is a touch dated now since it came out in 1960, but its charms are irresistible. Jack Lemmon is great in the lead role and has good chemistry with Shirley MacLaine in this story of a man who lets his bosses use his apartment for trysts to try and advance in the company. As one of those bosses, Fred McMurray is great. This is my first film directed by Billy Wilder and I cannot wait to explore more, because this one was very well done and incredibly well acted. It does slack off at times, but picks right back up and gets back to work. Overall, it is not hard to see why The Apartment is a classic.
June 21, 2016
The Apartment (1960) 125m. ???? D: Billy Wilder. Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray, Ray Walston, Jack Kruschen, David Lewis. The greatest comedy ever made. Somber man tries to rise in his company by letting his executives use his apartment for trysts, but complications and a romance of his own ensue. Hard to put into words the impact this masterpeice leaves behind. The two stars couldn't be more perfect (and don't forget MacMurray!), and there is more la
½ June 6, 2016
Hermoso clasicismo hollywodense .... 9.50/10
½ May 8, 2016
Uma das melhores comédias de Billy Wilder, Shirley MacLaine e, claro, Jack Lemmon brilham nesse ótimo filme (ainda que um claro fruto de sua época).
Antonius Block
April 21, 2016
The premise of this romantic comedy from 1960 is that an office worker (Jack Lemmon) lets married men and their mistresses have their trysts in his apartment while he stays late at work. As the men are more senior to him in his company, he does it in part to curry favor and advance, but also simply because he's a soft touch and nice guy. His neighbors think he's a wild man and philanderer since they hear noises and see women coming and going, but he never disabuses them of this misperception. Throughout the movie he consistently protects others, even the 'bad guy' (Fred MacMurray), who is manipulating a woman (Shirley MacLaine) by leading her on about leaving his wife, when it's clear he has no real feelings for her.

It was great to see the little snippets of life in this time period and the cultural references, and the office space shown by director Billy Wilder is on its own fantastic (wow, talk about an 'open office' plan). It's interesting to see several actors you'll know from later works: MacMurray (the father in 'My Three Sons', though he had also been in Wilder's 'Double Indemnity' and other films earlier), David White (who depending on your 60's TV knowledge you may recognize as Darrin's boss in 'Bewitched'), and Ray Walston (who was the hardest to connect for me, but when I finally got it I was quite happy with myself ... he was the actor who, 22 years later, would so brilliantly play Mr. Hand opposite Jeff Spicoli, played by Sean Penn in Fast Times at Ridgemont High).

But I digress. MacLaine is the real star here, with several great moments. While you can see the ending coming from a mile away, there are elements of real melancholy in this movie, including a scene with Lemmon and a woman in a bar, both down on their luck, which is priceless. There is also some edge to the movie with all that playing around, and a wild company holiday party, so that the movie doesn't feel sugary-sweet. I don't think it should have gotten five Oscars (including Best Picture and Best Director), particularly in the year Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece 'Psycho' was released - this was a huge miss by the Academy - but it's certainly a good movie, and enjoyable to watch 55 years later. As a last bit of movie trivia - this was the last black and white film to win the Best Picture award, that is, until 'Schindler's List' won in 1993.
March 27, 2016
That's the way it crumbles, cookiewise.
March 9, 2016
In addition to being one of the rare comedies to win Best Picture, it's aged better that just about every other Oscar winner before it.
February 8, 2016
One of the most important comedies of all time.Its quirky,smart and humorous.Beautiful character study,story and acting.Well,I guess that's the way it crumbles...cookie wise! đ???
January 30, 2016
I'd spell it out for you, only I can't spell.
½ January 21, 2016
The Apartment 1960

This film is serious but also has elements that are comedic as well all at once. The thing is that the film can jump quickly from serious drama to comedy, to romance in a split second. This is a film that can be defined under one subject alone.

It begins in the city in a large office for insurance.

Uncle Martin shows up in this film.

He is loaning out his apartment to other people.

The boss played by Fred McMurry is trying to go out with lady in elevator but is still married to his wife and looking for a devoirce.

Once his Ms. Olsen secretary shows up they leave. The secretary listens to bosses phone conversation and a spy,

Friends allow and recommend Baxter to be promoted to an 2nd executive office.

People in 4 or 5 in office keep asking to borrow Basters apartment.

Christmas party in 19th Floor of the office

Secretary Ms. Olsen tells of all the women the boss has been going out with.

Mr. Baxter is the second youngest executive at the office.

Elevator lady plays music on record player that she gave a gift to the boss after the boss leaves.

The elevator lady overdoses on sleeping pills.

The boss Jeff fires the secretary for telling elevator lady of all the lovers she has had.

The Secretary Ms. Olsen has a meeting with Bosses wife.

The two Mr Baxter & elevator girl have missed work for two days and now a guy is looking for the elevator girl.

This movie I liked the wide shots and decisions. I liked the

I liked the ending, the way this film looks in Black and white. This film looks at using space well often with one character on one side of the screen while the other character is on opposite side expressing a different emotion and thought than the other.

This film focuses on the details.

For instance Baxter fears that the Elevator assistant will try to commit siuwiside so he removes all the things in mirror cabinet. Including the razor blades. Which later on Mr. Baxter tries using his razor to find that he took them out earlier.

This film is filled with great cast of actors & actresses.

This film has elements that can be considered controversial such as a married man having a relationship with other women in his own office. A guy letting other employees use his apartment for particular reasons.
January 21, 2016
Wilder ended his "Some Like it Hot" with the line, "Nobody's perfect," but this film may just be. A film whose melancholy, cynical strokes are balanced out by sweet, delicate emotion and tenderness so skillfully rendered that it earns that big smile on your face when MacLaine delivers that perfect coda. Lemmon is wonderful but it's MacLaine who shines brightest
½ January 16, 2016
A bona fide classic, comedy-wise and otherwise-wise.
½ January 6, 2016
not one of my fave billy wilders but still watchable
½ December 28, 2015
The Apartment is a superb blend of romantic-comedy and romantic-drama. In some moments you can kind of laugh at the predicament that Jack Lemmon finds himself in, but in other scenes it gets downright depressing. The magic of Lemmon's performance is that he was able to play a spineless wimp who was willing to do anything to get ahead in his career, and yet I liked him so much that I still was rooting for him to change his attitude and stand up for himself. Fred MacMurray (who I grew up knowing as a lovable guy in classic Disney live action films) is such a weasel in this movie, and it makes my skin crawl. That's not a complaint, in fact that is what you call a perfect performance, because it is what the character needed to be. But none of this would have worked without Shirley MacLaine. Her portrayal of the sweet, but emotionally damaged, Fran Kubelik holds this film together. She is so charming that you can see why Baxter is holding out hope that he will be able to date her. This is one of those rare romantic films that feels genuine. They don't go overly saccharine, and they also don't make light of the dark places that love can lead us. So when that ending rolls around it is even more enjoyable because it feels like real people turning a corner in their lives, and it is played subtly instead of over-the-top with the proverbial shot of 2 people running in slow motion into each others' arms. I loved this movie, and would give it my highest recommendation.