April Fool's Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

April Fool's Day Reviews

½ August 21, 2016
Way better than My Bloody Valentine but not as fantastic as Black Christmas, this high concept trash-horror is nicely paced, occasionally funny, but mostly surprisingly stylishly directed. Even the goofy twist is enjoyable.
July 12, 2016
Good enough slasher film with a surprise ending.
July 8, 2016
These teens are smarter and better actors than your average 80s slasher, but with a title like April Fool's Day, it's hard to find any of their bloody shenanigans scary or take them seriously.
April 15, 2016
April Fool's Day isn't quite as shocking as some 80's slashers, or as well known, but that doesn't mean it's not just as good as some of the famous 80's thriller franchises. Give it a watch if you want a slasher movie with some twists
½ April 1, 2016
April Fool's Day is a horror comedy thriller that works for first-timers; and for fans of the 1980's classic, it is an enjoyable slasher spoof that delivers some good laughs and showcases a talented cast including Deborah Foreman, Amy Steel and Ken Olandt.
January 12, 2016
nice twist, but build up was nothing special as character development was non existent
January 8, 2016
This was one of my favourites from that era. I remember watching it over and over back in the late 80s. I worked at a store that rented movies, so they were free after shift. Just might watch it again to see how bad it's gotten.
½ August 23, 2015
8/23/2015: Horrible! Not scary in any way! Not even in the fun cheesy way.
April 1, 2015
One of the best and most underrated slasher flicks to come out of the 80's. Those looking for a gorefest will be sorely disappointed, as this plays out more like an Agatha Christie whodunnit than Friday the 13th. What the film does have is a terrific cast, plenty of atmosphere and a surprising amount of humour. Directed by Fred Walton (When A Stranger Calls) and written by Danilo Bach (Beverly Hills Cop), the pair give the movie a great sense of style and fun, rather than exploitation. The characters are likeable, there's plenty of suspense, and a great score by Charles Bernstein (A Nightmare on Elm Street) only adds to the creepiness. If all you want is blood and guts, look elsewhere. But if you actually appreciate things like character, story and mystery...I highly recommend April Fool's Day.
April 1, 2015
This film has been, at least partially, lauded for being innovative and alternative in comparison to the slasher genre schlock that permeated the eighties. Because it involves twists, dark humor, and a plot that revolves around a mystery, critics have claimed that it's not as mindless as others in this sub-genre. This is where I disagree, as I believe its subtleties and macabre humor make it that much more boring and safe. The deaths never happen onscreen, there's very little gore, the prosthetics look utterly fake, and the mystery isn't good enough to warrant an entire film. This is the most uncreative, run of the mill horror film that I have ever seen, looking less horrific with every minute it devotes onscreen. If you're really clamoring for a holiday themed horror film I suggest you look elsewhere.
April 1, 2015
This movie was so clever and fun!
March 17, 2015
Too slow and predictable to get any real enjoyment out of it. The scares certainly do not come at a quick enough pace. The cast are mostly unlikable. Disappointing to say the least.
½ March 13, 2015
This is a surprisingly tame slasher movie. Particularly for that era, where slashers where trying to outdo the other in terms of violence and gore. So this film's, somewhat, tame gore was a bit of a surprise. Whether that's good or bad is determined by your own viewpoint. I think that the film being as old as it is, it's almost THIRTY years old, means that it most likely feels a little outdated in terms of the story it presents and the more self-referential moments like a Scream or even a Cabin in the Woods. Because of the fact that those two films exist and, in my opinion, they do a better job at being subversive, whereas this was a little more basic, it's a little simpler. Hell, you could say that the movie's title completely spoils the twist in the film. I can imagine this being viewed as clever at the time but, of course, now, at least 80% of these movies have some kind of twist. Seeing as people have been conditioned to expect twists, if you didn't watch this film when it first came out in 1986, it might not seem like something that special or impressive to you. Again, it doesn't stand up to movies that've tried to subvert horror tropes like Cabin, which is the best at this, and the Scream franchise. Not to mention that Cabin, and maybe the first two Scream films, do it far more effectively than this ever did. That's not to say I didn't like this movie, I think 80s horror movies, in general, have a certain kind of campy charm that makes it fun to watch even if you didn't find it to be that great of a movie to begin with. And I think this one went out of its way to be campy, so in all honest, in spite of all my complaints about the twist being spoiled or the movie just coming across as incredibly tame in comparison to other slashers, I still had a decent enough time watching this. It's a competently made movie, the acting is off sometimes, but it's not horrifically awful. Even if I was not a big fan of the twist itself, since it cheapens everything you've seen and makes it come across as unimportant, that, at the very least, there was some effort put into it. It wasn't a twist for the sake of one. Of course, a plan this convoluted, considering all the variables involved, needs to go exactly according to plan. It's a little too perfectly executed, but it is what it is and I can't change that. Very flawed horror movie, but one that's decent at the very least and it won't make you want to pull your hair out. I'd recommend Dead Snow 2 instead, but this isn't a complete waste of time.
½ January 18, 2015
"April Fool's Day" is one of the most memorable slashers of the 80's. It's not particularly gory and there's no nudity, but it's easily one of the more clever ones compared to some of the other "Friday the 13th" ripoffs. Fred Walton (who directed the underrated "When a Stranger Calls") directs the film with a wonderful playfulness but still managing to maintain an atmosphere. The cast is entirely likeable, especially Thomas F. Wilson (Biff from "Back to the Future"), Amy Steel (always likeable), and Deborah Foreman. But it's best watching "April Fool's Day" with as little knowledge of the ending as possible. In the end, you will be pleasantly surprised. A nifty balance between comedy and horror.
½ October 25, 2014
I'll never understand why this movie is relatively highly rated. The idea is it's supposed to be sort of a comedic/satirical slasher movie, kind of like what Scream ended up being in the mid 90s. However, April Fool's Day is just a basic slasher that doesn't show the kills (which I thought was the only reason someone would watch a slasher movie anyway). It has all the basic slasher elements, like cheesy acting, stereotypical characters, and the basic set ups for kills.

The movie does have a twist ending, but I didn't find it really shocking, and it's not really the kind of ending that would elicit shocks anyway. When the movie wasn't showing anyone dying, I knew what to expect.

I could overlook the lack of violence and blood if the movie was funny. I believe it's supposed to be a comedy, but there are no jokes except for the gags that the characters play on each other (which aren't really supposed to make the audience laugh anyway). If this movie were funny, then I wouldn't have any problems with this movie and what they were attempting to do. I liked the cast well enough and the set up, but I just didn't enjoy the movie.
August 25, 2014
Not a bad example, of the 80's slasher horror Franchise. Well worth watching.
July 15, 2014
A classic because it is not a slasher even though you think it is. Mis-marketed but it was fun and surprising
June 20, 2014
"April Fool's Day" is something of a novelty in the world of '80's horror cinema; a slasher film without a body count. Frank Mancuso, Jr., after producing a number of the "Friday the 13th" epics, set out to do something different with this film. The result is a decidedly mixed bag.

On on hand, I admired the freshness and the emphasis on story over gore. There is very little blood here, so little in fact that the "R" rating seems kind of unwarranted. On the other hand, however, pacing is not director Fred Walton's strong suit and the film is slow-going a lot of the way. Many of the clues that lead up to the twist ending are definite red herrings that make no sense or have nothing to do with the big reveal. And getting to that extravagantly plotted finale relies on far too many coincidences, moments in the film where the characters have to do the right thing at the right time in order to keep the plot moving on its path. There are just too many holes in the plan, and frankly, the movie is not half as fun as it thinks it is.

I enjoyed the young cast, most notably Clayton Rohner and Deborah Goodrich as the group's liveliest couple, but you just can't help feeling let down by the ending. When it's all said and done, you're left with more puzzling questions than answers, like the newspaper clippings or the tape playing the crying baby had to do with anything. One could assume that they were simple ploys to throw the characters (and the audience) off balance. They worked, but in this case, that wasn't necessarily a positive thing. I admired "April Fool's Day" for trying something different, but for a film like this to work, it has to be better executed that this one is.
½ June 14, 2014
What The Hell with the ending?
½ May 26, 2014
Very good and suspenseful movie. That certainly has a very unexpected ending that makes it all even better. I would've probably give it a higher rating, but I kind of knew before I saw the movie, the twist at the end.