April Fool's Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

April Fool's Day Reviews

March 3, 2019
This is one of the BEST "who done it?" Movies I've ever seen. I remember watching this when i was a kid, when it first came out, and thinking, ...what a great idea! Im going to do that when i grow up! Of course i never did, but i feel like this movie really set the path for murder mystery weekend getaways! 2 thumbs up!!!
June 26, 2018
A pretty good plot, nice special effects. April Fool's Day follows a group of college students visiting a mutual friend at her island mansion. Everyones performances are very heart felt and the chemistry and lighting are perfect. good sound quality too.
November 26, 2017
One of the best and most underrated slasher flicks to come out of the 80s. Horror fans seeking a gorefest will have to look elsewhere, as this plays out more like an Agatha Christie mystery than Friday the 13th. What makes April Fool's Day stand out are the terrific performances, smart script, and a surprising amount of humour. Director Fred Walton (When A Stranger Calls) and writer Danilo Bach (Beverly Hills Cop) bring a lot of style and fun to the movie, rather than exploitation and nastiness. The characters are well-developed, the cast is extremely likeable, there's plenty of suspense, and Charles Bernstein (A Nightmare on Elm Street) provides a terrifically creepy score. Like I said, if all you want are blood and guts, this isn't the horror flick for you. But if you actually appreciate witty writing, strong characters and atmospheric direction, you'll find a lot to love in April Fool's Day.
½ June 4, 2017
An underrated classic of a horroromedy, hurt by its genre-bending for those who just wanted to see a Halloween clone. It's as much Agatha Christie as goofy 80s slasher flick. Fine cast, engaging characters, quite nice special effects for the time--don't bother with the remake, it has nothing to do with this film. Give this one a shot. Aside from some dated hairstyles, it holds up surprisingly well.
April 29, 2017
not enough skintight PVC-clad T&A
½ March 8, 2017
One of the most clever, creative, and fun entries in the slasher genre.
December 31, 2016
Maybe the wrong time of year to watch this but who cares. Having watched the remake a while back I thought I'd give this a whirl and hoped it would be a lot better. To its credit, I felt it was, although I'd always had a suspicion about how it was going to end, which in truth kind of ruins the majority of the movie as this one is literally all about the twist. It embraces the concept well and the story is littered with practical jokes so you don't always know what is true and what is just a mere bit of tomfoolery. Whilst aiming to be a teen slasher, it is also ridiculously lighthearted and spoof like with a faint undertone of comedy all the way through, although being an 80's film, the humour does have a lot to be desired - I think one of the most laughable moments is actually witnessing all the hairstyles on show and seeing all the cool kids thinking they're Brad Pitt, when they're anything but. If you were watching this for the first time, you wouldn't necessarily anticipate the final scenes, however I think they are a bit anticlimactic and leave you with a sense of 'what is the point in watching that?'. It's fair to say it has no repeat value and the horror element is very limited. It does however give me an urge to go on a murder mystery weekend if they were to be as spooky and entertaining as this setting was.
½ December 27, 2016
At the beginning (and for a while), Its almost a parody of how bad it is itself. 35 minutes of false start is too long when you have only 89 minutes. When it does begin it has some flavor, even as it makes no sense. Despite all the corny humor, it appears to take itself seriously. Almost all characters are unlikable, especially one nasty sneering girl who is mean to everyone yet ends up being the final girl?!! Hard to root for her (or almost anyone except the poor nerdy girl). Then the final twist makes it all pretty worthless, being a sort of ''Pam's Dream'', which is somehow fitting for the title but seriously? Its not essential, but worth your time if you have lots of time.
½ December 2, 2016
OK, so it lacks gore. And the ending isn't quite what you are expecting. But it still has some suspense. And it's great to see lots of recognizable faces show up. You even get Amy Steele (the survivor girl from Friday the 13th Part II) in a similar role.
½ August 21, 2016
Way better than My Bloody Valentine but not as fantastic as Black Christmas, this high concept trash-horror is nicely paced, occasionally funny, but mostly surprisingly stylishly directed. Even the goofy twist is enjoyable.
July 12, 2016
Good enough slasher film with a surprise ending.
July 8, 2016
These teens are smarter and better actors than your average 80s slasher, but with a title like April Fool's Day, it's hard to find any of their bloody shenanigans scary or take them seriously.
April 15, 2016
April Fool's Day isn't quite as shocking as some 80's slashers, or as well known, but that doesn't mean it's not just as good as some of the famous 80's thriller franchises. Give it a watch if you want a slasher movie with some twists
½ April 1, 2016
April Fool's Day is a horror comedy thriller that works for first-timers; and for fans of the 1980's classic, it is an enjoyable slasher spoof that delivers some good laughs and showcases a talented cast including Deborah Foreman, Amy Steel and Ken Olandt.
January 12, 2016
nice twist, but build up was nothing special as character development was non existent
January 8, 2016
This was one of my favourites from that era. I remember watching it over and over back in the late 80s. I worked at a store that rented movies, so they were free after shift. Just might watch it again to see how bad it's gotten.
½ August 23, 2015
8/23/2015: Horrible! Not scary in any way! Not even in the fun cheesy way.
April 1, 2015
This film has been, at least partially, lauded for being innovative and alternative in comparison to the slasher genre schlock that permeated the eighties. Because it involves twists, dark humor, and a plot that revolves around a mystery, critics have claimed that it's not as mindless as others in this sub-genre. This is where I disagree, as I believe its subtleties and macabre humor make it that much more boring and safe. The deaths never happen onscreen, there's very little gore, the prosthetics look utterly fake, and the mystery isn't good enough to warrant an entire film. This is the most uncreative, run of the mill horror film that I have ever seen, looking less horrific with every minute it devotes onscreen. If you're really clamoring for a holiday themed horror film I suggest you look elsewhere.
April 1, 2015
This movie was so clever and fun!
March 17, 2015
Too slow and predictable to get any real enjoyment out of it. The scares certainly do not come at a quick enough pace. The cast are mostly unlikable. Disappointing to say the least.