April Fool's Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

April Fool's Day Reviews

½ March 8, 2017
One of the most clever, creative, and fun entries in the slasher genre.
January 4, 2017
One of the best and most underrated slasher flicks to come out of the 80's. Horror fans seeking a gorefest will have to look elsewhere, as this plays out more like an Agatha Christie mystery than Friday the 13th. What makes April Fool's Day stand out are the terrific cast, smart script, and a surprising amount of humour. Director Fred Walton (When A Stranger Calls) and writer Danilo Bach (Beverly Hills Cop) bring a lot of style and fun to the movie, rather than exploitation. The characters are well-written, the cast is extremely likeable, there's plenty of suspense, and Charles Bernstein (A Nightmare on Elm Street) provides a terrifically creepy score. If all you want are blood and guts, this isn't the horror flick for you. But if you actually appreciate things like character development and dialogue, April Fool's Day ends up being one of the most entertaining the genre has to offer.
December 31, 2016
Maybe the wrong time of year to watch this but who cares. Having watched the remake a while back I thought I'd give this a whirl and hoped it would be a lot better. To its credit, I felt it was, although I'd always had a suspicion about how it was going to end, which in truth kind of ruins the majority of the movie as this one is literally all about the twist. It embraces the concept well and the story is littered with practical jokes so you don't always know what is true and what is just a mere bit of tomfoolery. Whilst aiming to be a teen slasher, it is also ridiculously lighthearted and spoof like with a faint undertone of comedy all the way through, although being an 80's film, the humour does have a lot to be desired - I think one of the most laughable moments is actually witnessing all the hairstyles on show and seeing all the cool kids thinking they're Brad Pitt, when they're anything but. If you were watching this for the first time, you wouldn't necessarily anticipate the final scenes, however I think they are a bit anticlimactic and leave you with a sense of 'what is the point in watching that?'. It's fair to say it has no repeat value and the horror element is very limited. It does however give me an urge to go on a murder mystery weekend if they were to be as spooky and entertaining as this setting was.
½ December 27, 2016
At the beginning (and for a while), Its almost a parody of how bad it is itself. 35 minutes of false start is too long when you have only 89 minutes. When it does begin it has some flavor, even as it makes no sense. Despite all the corny humor, it appears to take itself seriously. Almost all characters are unlikable, especially one nasty sneering girl who is mean to everyone yet ends up being the final girl?!! Hard to root for her (or almost anyone except the poor nerdy girl). Then the final twist makes it all pretty worthless, being a sort of ''Pam's Dream'', which is somehow fitting for the title but seriously? Its not essential, but worth your time if you have lots of time.
½ December 2, 2016
OK, so it lacks gore. And the ending isn't quite what you are expecting. But it still has some suspense. And it's great to see lots of recognizable faces show up. You even get Amy Steele (the survivor girl from Friday the 13th Part II) in a similar role.
½ August 21, 2016
Way better than My Bloody Valentine but not as fantastic as Black Christmas, this high concept trash-horror is nicely paced, occasionally funny, but mostly surprisingly stylishly directed. Even the goofy twist is enjoyable.
July 12, 2016
Good enough slasher film with a surprise ending.
July 8, 2016
These teens are smarter and better actors than your average 80s slasher, but with a title like April Fool's Day, it's hard to find any of their bloody shenanigans scary or take them seriously.
April 15, 2016
April Fool's Day isn't quite as shocking as some 80's slashers, or as well known, but that doesn't mean it's not just as good as some of the famous 80's thriller franchises. Give it a watch if you want a slasher movie with some twists
½ April 1, 2016
April Fool's Day is a horror comedy thriller that works for first-timers; and for fans of the 1980's classic, it is an enjoyable slasher spoof that delivers some good laughs and showcases a talented cast including Deborah Foreman, Amy Steel and Ken Olandt.
January 12, 2016
nice twist, but build up was nothing special as character development was non existent
January 8, 2016
This was one of my favourites from that era. I remember watching it over and over back in the late 80s. I worked at a store that rented movies, so they were free after shift. Just might watch it again to see how bad it's gotten.
½ August 23, 2015
8/23/2015: Horrible! Not scary in any way! Not even in the fun cheesy way.
April 1, 2015
This film has been, at least partially, lauded for being innovative and alternative in comparison to the slasher genre schlock that permeated the eighties. Because it involves twists, dark humor, and a plot that revolves around a mystery, critics have claimed that it's not as mindless as others in this sub-genre. This is where I disagree, as I believe its subtleties and macabre humor make it that much more boring and safe. The deaths never happen onscreen, there's very little gore, the prosthetics look utterly fake, and the mystery isn't good enough to warrant an entire film. This is the most uncreative, run of the mill horror film that I have ever seen, looking less horrific with every minute it devotes onscreen. If you're really clamoring for a holiday themed horror film I suggest you look elsewhere.
April 1, 2015
This movie was so clever and fun!
March 17, 2015
Too slow and predictable to get any real enjoyment out of it. The scares certainly do not come at a quick enough pace. The cast are mostly unlikable. Disappointing to say the least.
½ March 13, 2015
This is a surprisingly tame slasher movie. Particularly for that era, where slashers where trying to outdo the other in terms of violence and gore. So this film's, somewhat, tame gore was a bit of a surprise. Whether that's good or bad is determined by your own viewpoint. I think that the film being as old as it is, it's almost THIRTY years old, means that it most likely feels a little outdated in terms of the story it presents and the more self-referential moments like a Scream or even a Cabin in the Woods. Because of the fact that those two films exist and, in my opinion, they do a better job at being subversive, whereas this was a little more basic, it's a little simpler. Hell, you could say that the movie's title completely spoils the twist in the film. I can imagine this being viewed as clever at the time but, of course, now, at least 80% of these movies have some kind of twist. Seeing as people have been conditioned to expect twists, if you didn't watch this film when it first came out in 1986, it might not seem like something that special or impressive to you. Again, it doesn't stand up to movies that've tried to subvert horror tropes like Cabin, which is the best at this, and the Scream franchise. Not to mention that Cabin, and maybe the first two Scream films, do it far more effectively than this ever did. That's not to say I didn't like this movie, I think 80s horror movies, in general, have a certain kind of campy charm that makes it fun to watch even if you didn't find it to be that great of a movie to begin with. And I think this one went out of its way to be campy, so in all honest, in spite of all my complaints about the twist being spoiled or the movie just coming across as incredibly tame in comparison to other slashers, I still had a decent enough time watching this. It's a competently made movie, the acting is off sometimes, but it's not horrifically awful. Even if I was not a big fan of the twist itself, since it cheapens everything you've seen and makes it come across as unimportant, that, at the very least, there was some effort put into it. It wasn't a twist for the sake of one. Of course, a plan this convoluted, considering all the variables involved, needs to go exactly according to plan. It's a little too perfectly executed, but it is what it is and I can't change that. Very flawed horror movie, but one that's decent at the very least and it won't make you want to pull your hair out. I'd recommend Dead Snow 2 instead, but this isn't a complete waste of time.
½ January 18, 2015
"April Fool's Day" is one of the most memorable slashers of the 80's. It's not particularly gory and there's no nudity, but it's easily one of the more clever ones compared to some of the other "Friday the 13th" ripoffs. Fred Walton (who directed the underrated "When a Stranger Calls") directs the film with a wonderful playfulness but still managing to maintain an atmosphere. The cast is entirely likeable, especially Thomas F. Wilson (Biff from "Back to the Future"), Amy Steel (always likeable), and Deborah Foreman. But it's best watching "April Fool's Day" with as little knowledge of the ending as possible. In the end, you will be pleasantly surprised. A nifty balance between comedy and horror.
½ October 25, 2014
I'll never understand why this movie is relatively highly rated. The idea is it's supposed to be sort of a comedic/satirical slasher movie, kind of like what Scream ended up being in the mid 90s. However, April Fool's Day is just a basic slasher that doesn't show the kills (which I thought was the only reason someone would watch a slasher movie anyway). It has all the basic slasher elements, like cheesy acting, stereotypical characters, and the basic set ups for kills.

The movie does have a twist ending, but I didn't find it really shocking, and it's not really the kind of ending that would elicit shocks anyway. When the movie wasn't showing anyone dying, I knew what to expect.

I could overlook the lack of violence and blood if the movie was funny. I believe it's supposed to be a comedy, but there are no jokes except for the gags that the characters play on each other (which aren't really supposed to make the audience laugh anyway). If this movie were funny, then I wouldn't have any problems with this movie and what they were attempting to do. I liked the cast well enough and the set up, but I just didn't enjoy the movie.
August 25, 2014
Not a bad example, of the 80's slasher horror Franchise. Well worth watching.