Around the World in 80 Days - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Around the World in 80 Days Reviews

October 30, 2016
Boring movie. Full of the most egregious Hollywood formulae. Waste, waste, waste
October 15, 2016
This shouldn't have won best picture.
June 1, 2016
Don't trespass on my good feelings.

A country club filled with rich established men get into an over the top discussion on technology and travel methods. One of the men proclaims he can travel the globe in 80 days and everyone takes bets against him. He agrees to take on their bets and leaves the very next day to complete the task.

"If you ain't a pack of yellowbellied milk-sops.

Michael Anderson, director of Logan's Run, Orca, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Sea Wolf, Summer of the Monkeys, and Murder by Phone, delivers Around the World in 80 Days. The storyline for this picture is okay and very straightforward. This felt a little like Rat Race. The cast delivers solid performances and includes David Niven, Cantinflas, Finlay Currie, Robert Morley, and Harcourt Williams.

"It's an ill wind that blows no good."

I randomly came across this on Netflix and decided to give it a viewing. I generally like the classic genre, but this is a cliché picture like the Dean Martin cheesy classic pictures. This is an okay addition to the genre but I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this.

"Why wait any longer, he's lost the wager?"

Grade: C+
½ May 14, 2016
The spectaular scope and affable world commentary may go over-the-top, but it's in the good, enjoyable way that makes it worth 3 hours.
April 28, 2016
Around the World in 80 Days is an okay film. It is about a Victorian Englishman who bets that with the new steamships and railways he can travel the world in 80 days. David Niven and Cantinflas give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Michael Anderson did an alright job directing this movie. I liked the motion picture because of the adventure.
½ March 9, 2016
With the outcome of modern adventure films that act as true spectacles, "Around the World in 80 Days" has undoubtedly not aged well.
½ February 19, 2016
It mightve been a bigger deal back long ago heck it won best picture...but it hasnt aged well. The movie was overlong and a lot of the british type of humor fell flat. I thought passapourt was an annoying character. I was hoping to see more variety and uniqueness as they traveled the world but it was pretty blah for such an encompassing quest. Shirley mcclaine as an indian princess...really? She is the whitest women ever (it was distractingly obvious she wasnt indian) and ppl complain about the lack of diversity in films nowadays. Some parts were funny like american stereotypes lol and i enjoyed the grandiose sets with tons of extras, cameos and extravegent costumes. I also liked the theme song and some of the cinematography. yea it wasnt awful but just kind of lackluster for what it couldve been.
February 15, 2016
Big, beautiful at times but it draaaaaaaags. It must have been a big travel advertisement at the time but now it is so uninteresting.
½ February 3, 2016
Classic though an older movie.

Doesn't seem as good now as when I was a kid. Some scenes seemed to drag out. Plenty of action though. Beautiful scenery
½ October 31, 2015
This movie had a stellar cast but the acting was slow. The dialogue was slow paced and action was even slower, I don't see how it got an academy award for best film. The actor that did stand out & he was not in the original cast but was rather added later, is Mario Moreno "Cantinflas". He really made this film better and because of his comedic acting this film was saved from being a two thumbs down film. Cantinflas really saved this film & made it above decent.
October 24, 2015
Might have been a decent flick back in the day but today, the movie is offensively outdated.
½ October 22, 2015
Around the World in 80 Days begins with from the Earth to the Moon made in the Early 1900's

I thought it was interesting seeing the rocket lounched and seeing the camera view from the rocket as it was spinning around Earth.

I a liked the scene with them riding around town from a bicycle.

I liked the scenery of the different countries.

I was not as impressed with this film as far as how this story was told compared to the Disney version. I did find it interesting how this film went to different countries compared to the Disney version.

The three camera wide angle shots were a little bizarre at times to see because the view looked skewed and distorted.

I liked the Native American Action scenes. Seeing China, Japan, landscape of India from the train & Elephant of India. Some of the Hot air-balloon scenes looked interesting when seen in a landscape scene.

What I like about this film is that a lot of the locations look like it is filmed at real locations rather than sets.
½ September 20, 2015
It's got famous people in it. It would be excellent playing in the background as you play Ticket To Ride. It's not good.
August 2, 2015
It's hard to believe a 3-hr movie with a 20 minute bull-fight scene could win the oscar for film editing. But all the first-person, full color splendor in Todd-AO had to be a sight to see. Not my favorite of the Jules Verne adaptations, but at least they only went full-core stereotypes on the Americans in hour 3 and stayed tactful in the other nations. And yes, that young Indian Princess is Shirley MacLaine Grade B
½ February 21, 2015
Watching Around the World in 80 Days is a lot like watching a slideshow of someone else's vacation -- at first, it's enjoyable, but then it drags on and on and you can't wait for it to end. The scale of this movie is impressive, though, even if the story (and the humor) falls flat. However, I still question why it won Best Picture of 1956 when that was also the year of great films such as The King and I, The Searchers and The Ten Commandments.
½ February 19, 2015
A true epic in every sense of the word...a massive film boasting many movie stars & many locations around the globe.

The infamous Jules Verne novel about unique Englishman Philas Fogg who makes a wager he can travel the world in 80 days.

Filled with fun, exotic locations & just simple entertainment I just found the film so enjoyable. The filmmaker who made this film was about to film the story of Don Quote next but it never eventuated.
January 2, 2015
Quite a good film, a bit long, but even at 2h45 it still feels a bit rushed. I wish I'd have known about all the cameos before watching it; most were so fleeting I didn't notice many. Quite a nice looking film too, for it's age.
December 20, 2014
A grand-scaled adventure powered by the fitting score and what the adventure stands to offer in cultural exploration and sneaking in a few classic film moments while having a star-studded cast. However, there were some plot points that could've been expanded from the book in cinematic scale for more enjoyment to the adapted story of Jules Verne's experimental, theoretic telling. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
November 13, 2014
loved the musical score, the director used some unusual camera angles for then, I would equate them to a "go pro" view. a lot of cameos to pick out.