The Boys from Brazil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boys from Brazil Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
Josef Mengele lived the remainder of his life on the run with his family's money in shacks provided by his ever shrinking nazi network. Any attempt, as this movie attempts to do, to make this despicable, lowest form of life, sadistic murderer, anything more than that, is indecent.
½ September 19, 2016
Ludicrous but very entertaining, The Boys from Brazil aims to disturb but missed this mark and has an incredibly over the top and miscast Gregory Peck as the villain. Stylish direction, a rousing score and a great pace are pluses.
August 9, 2016
Unintentionally hilarious Ira Levin thriller positing Gregory Peck's Dr Josef Mengele now living in exile in Paraguay and planning world domination with a bunch of Hitler clones. The performances are abysmal (a very frail Olivier the worst offender), the direction perfunctory. The best element - as so often - is Jerry Goldsmith's stabbing waltz theme. Collectors of camp classics, rejoice!
August 6, 2016
While a departure in quality from his earlier films like Patton, Planet of the Apes, and Papillon, Franklin J. Schaffner's The Boys From Brazil is a film that exhibits great performances (especially from Gregory Peck and Sir Laurence Olivier) and a most interesting plot. But two things are for sure: Mr. Peck should have gotten an Oscar nomination for Best Actor and Jerry Goldsmith should have won Best Original Score.
July 12, 2016
Franklin J. Schaffner's intriguing sci-fi thriller based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Ira Levin. The late great Gregory Peck delivers a memorably chilling performance that earned him an Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor as infamous Nazi war criminal Dr. Josef Mengele, a real-life monster that was the chief doctor at the Auschwitz concentration death camp, and who personally murdered thousands of Jews in monstrous medical experiments. He now gathers a group of his former colleagues to complete a horrifying project to clone Adolf Hitler, and rekindle the Third Reich. Mengele intends to have 94 fathers around the world, all who are 65 years old murdered to simulate Hitler's own boyhood. In a brief, but nicely played cameo Steve Guttenburg plays a young aspiring Nazi hunter in Paraguay who informs a framed Nazi hunter named Ezra Lieberman, played brilliantly by the late great Sir Lawrence Olivier who received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for his terrific performance, of Mengele's nefarious plans when he is suddenly murdered before he can finish. It will now be up to Lieberman alone to try and stop Mengele once he has discovered the extent of his twisted plan. Lieberman's search leads him to four strange identical boys in different countries, all played menacingly by young Jeremy Black. These boys and 90 others from around the world are all clone's of Hitler. Mengele hopes that one of his clones will grow to become the new leader of the Aryan race, and create a Fourth Reich. Astute direction by Schaffner, with exceptional supporting performances by James Mason, Lilli Palmer, Uta Hagen, Denholm Elliott, and John Dehner, and an exquisite Oscar nominated score by the late great Jerry Goldsmith. An engrossing film. Highly Recommended.
June 2, 2016
Impressive cast and quite an ambitious story to put to film but they did a good job. To say anything about the story would give too much away.
April 17, 2016
The Boys from Brazil (1978) ???
Former Nazi Gregory Peck plans to breed a new race of Hitlers. Silly idea is made credible from three great actors. Ending is a mixed blessing, but film is fascinating as a relic of its era. Available on Netflix.
January 23, 2016
funny and amazingly interesting
September 16, 2015
"Are you telling me that a project twenty years and millions of dollars in the making will be dropped because of this insignificant impotent old Jew"

classic old thirller that is terrifying gripping and oddly enjoyable to watch in parts and terribly hard ....dated at points but engaging...terrific acting....

def one to have seen
½ August 20, 2015
A Hitler tailor maid for the 1980s, 90s, and 2000!

A scientist that was close to Hitler during World War II has begun taking steps to reprise Hitler's efforts in South Africa. Through some creative genetic engineering, he has created mutant children with unique powers. Can an aging man who discovers the scientist's plans stop him before he gets too far?

"I am a scientist. I've done my job. You are an executioner. Do yours."

Franklin Schaffner, director of The Planet of the Apes (1968), Patton, Person to Person, Papillon, The Best Man, The Good Years, and Lionheart, delivers The Boys from Brazil. The storyline for this is very average and concludes curiously. The acting is actually just okay despite a dynamite cast of Gregory Peck, Laurence Olivier, James Mason, Lilli Palmer, and Steve Guttenberg.

"You want your pound of flesh and don't care how you get it."

I came across this film on Netflix and had to add it to the queue since it starred the legend Gregory Peck. This was just okay and Peck definitely showed his age in this (he delivered a very rigid and statue like performance). This is very average and far from a must see.

"Oh man you're weird!"

Grade: C
July 19, 2015
"The Boys from Brazil" is a very tight and sadly overlooked latter-day offering from Franklin J. Schaffner, who conducts this gripping tale the best way possible. The story unfolds in great fashion and the cast is grand, including memorable performances from an utterly enjoyable Laurence Olivier and a surprisingly menacing Gregory Peck. Utterly memorable.
June 15, 2015
I remember when I first read the plot summary for this film and I thought that it had to be a comedy as there was no way it could be anything else given the extremely bizarre premise. I looked at the genre of film it was and thriller made sense but before that was... Sci-Fi? Seeing that, of all things, was certainly unexpected but it isn't like I went in with any kind of expectations, like always and prepared to judge it on its own merits and I did like this film. It's a creative and great 70's paranoid thriller.

When it started I thought it was going to have a little bit of a comedic side to it as the landlord seemed a little over the top and played for laughs. I thought Lieberman would walk into the water stream with his cigarette and it would go out or because of the face he pulls when he takes his first puff or the person on the phone, I thought they would have hung up but no. Or when Lieberman meets his friend on the street and he says he has to go to somewhere, I thought he was going to say he could come with him as well, but Lieberman's response was good. Despite that, it is good that it doesn't take itself so seriously it becomes laughable, I think the filmmakers knew what could have gone wrong given how everything plays out. I do think part of the point of the book was to showcase how crazy Josef Mengele was and it is just strange but fascinating to watch. It might have been classed as a Sci-Fi when it was released but given the exponential development in science; some of what goes on in this film might not be a fantasy for too much longer and sort of increases the paranoid aspect of it if you wanted to look at it that way. I do like how the title refers to something else that we learn later on in the film, given the cover and the name you might think 'The Boys of Brazil' refer to the actors on the cover. I do think it is a huge coincidence how Lieberman found the boys he did, especially given how few there were, but again, if there were more it would be an epidemic and everyone would know. And the friend of the assassin seemed to be awfully calm with knowing that he had to kill someone.

I thought the acting was pretty good, people usually refer to the acting in this by saying, 'the main 3', but James Mason was hardly in this at all, I think I can count all of his scenes on one hand. He was certainly integral to the plot and certainly had presence and his name was big enough to put him on the top billing, but come on. Gregory Peck was having fun as the villain and he really did do a good job, it would have been fun to see what George C. Scott would have been like in this role. I also thought it was kind of funny to see everyone just destroying his house, I know they were looking for something but there was no need to just throw things off the table, or drop plates like the other person was, sure it could break what they were looking for, but come on, it isn't like it is going to be in the plate. I liked Lawrence Olivier as well, it seemed like he was playing the total opposite of his role from 'Marathon Man', (for which he was nominated for an Oscar as well), a coincidence? Who knows? I don't really understand the complaints about the acting from the leads being bad, but there is some really bad acting in this mostly from side characters that were only seen for a minute or too so it doesn't really matter all that much.

However, some of the accents were all over the place that the only thing they said right in the accent was 'vee'. Besides the fact that he has flu and is told to go back to bed by his mother, despite being in a scene earlier with a toy, which he was left deliberately out of shot on purpose, which makes sense and I liked, Jeremy Black was pretty bad. I don't know if it was done on purpose to show how unhinged that type of person was, but still, it was pretty bad and it was his only film too, as of right now, but I don't exactly see that changing. I thought Lieberman could have made a joke when he is asked, 'will you tell?' I thought he could say, 'No, why? What did you do?' But it wasn't like he was in the mood for laughs and Lieberman could have kept that note a secret when he was in hospital, he had to go and get it out, didn't he? The guard in the prison didn't make much sense either, first of all he is very protective about the person Lieberman is questioning and then right when he was about to leave, he was pretty much begging Lieberman to ask another question. Steve Guttenberg was good, even though I would have thought that he would have been in it longer, given how we are introduced to him but that is how things go, it was also pretty fun to see GŁnter Meisner in this, (as well as Rosemary Harris) although he, and many of the other people involved with Mengele seem to just vanish. Also, how did that person in that house not see the hanging body when she walked into the room, I know she was going in there to look directly at the bed, but come on.

The film looked and sounded good, although I don't think the soundtrack fits 100%, it is very close but not quite there. The dog sound effect when that person was walking up to that house at the end, not saying because of spoilers, got annoying quickly. They also explain why the dog just attacked that one person but it isn't like the person that opened the door knew that. There was also one part where it had some really weird editing, it almost seemed like the film wanted to be an indie film for a moment, although with a story like this you'd think it would be more suited to indie, it just quickly cut from many scenes all at the same time for a few seconds and then nothing like it happened again. There was also some symbolism that we don't see that much, only in the weird editing part I just mentioned and at the end, not too sure what that was all about. I think I got two endings; I got the hospital scene and the very ominous dark room scene.

There is a point where Lieberman is having explained to him something integral to the plot in a lab, I won't say what it is due to spoilers but the look on his face is that of utter confusion which is perfect as that pretty much sums up the audience's reaction right there as well as probably split the audience right at that moment. The plot summary says that, '... discovers a sinister and bizarre plot...' with bizarre being the operative word, but I liked it. After all was said and done, I walked away from this film thinking, 'what a strange film', but it was the good kind. I don't think I was as scared or shocked as the filmmakers probably wanted me to be, despite the scene where a character that Barry knows has something changed about him and we never seem him again, I mean with a story this ridiculous how can you be, but they made it work, I liked it and was interested to see it until the end. However, I am sure the book would have probably had that effect; this film had what the authors books are known for, where you think you understand what is going on but something quite major is revealed nearing the end and the film understood that. 'The Boys from Brazil' is a very unique film with good acting and is quite creative.
May 30, 2015
The scenes are repetitive and annoying. Not much of a thriller film.
April 5, 2015
Great movie. Well worth watching.
March 30, 2015
Brilliant premise, brilliantly acted. Keeps you guessing until late in the story.
½ January 26, 2015
Novelist and playwright Ira Levin has come up with some pretty terrifying scenarios (Rosemary's Baby and The Stepford Wives) that has served as the basis for some pretty creepy and entertaining movies. The adaptation of his novel of the same name, The Boys From Brazil, can be added to that list. Gregory Peck, usually the good guy, plays the infamous Nazi Dr. Joseph Mengele who along with a group of exiled war criminals and their younger Neo-Nazi disciples are plotting to bring about the Fourth Reich. They are opposed by Nazi-hunter Ezra Liberman (Lawrence Olivier), a character based on the real-life Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal. How will the assassination of 94 65-year old civil servants with younger wives and one son help bring this about? And what about the eerie similarity between the sons of several of the victims? Well-acted with Peck's performance being suitably impressive. Look for James Mason as an ex-SS Colonel, Denholm Elliot as the director of a news wire service (do those exist anymore?), Hammer stalwart Michael Gough in a bit role as one of the victims, Steve Guttenberg in one of his first roles as a nice Jewish kid who gets in way over his head in Paraguay, and Prunella Scales of Fawlty Towers fame in a bit role as Gough's wife. John Kenneth Muir mentioned this film favorably in both his Horror Films of the 1970s and his Science Fiction and Fantasy Films of the 1970s tomes. It is a Political Thriller but works as both Horror and Science Fiction. The Shout Factory Blu-Ray disc is pretty good, way better than the VHS copy I remember watching years ago.
½ January 20, 2015
Una descabellada historia para un eficiente film.
½ January 1, 2015
One of the weirdest film about Nazism. Gregory Peck's evilest performance and Laurence Olivier looks cooler when he gets older.
August 19, 2014
Just an interesting film to kill your time.
August 19, 2014
A fun and pulpy adventure that has some really wacky performances. I've heard many people say they were turned off by Olivier and Peck's performances, but I found them to be perfectly in synch with the tone of the film. Director Franklin J. Schaffner creates a film that fits into the tone of Cold War/Post WW II paranoia. The whole film has this deep conspiracy theory vibe to it, and it might be cheesy now, but I think it really is fun if you can buy into it.