Carrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Reviews

July 17, 2016
The best movie ever made about a school shooting.
July 9, 2016
One of the most disturbing films to ever grace the cinemas. And I'm not easily disturbed.
July 2, 2016
Carrie is possibly the best thriller horror movie ever with Sissy Spacek's performance that is the best one i've ever seen,a brilliant script,great actors,satisfying climax and falling action Carrie is a all-stops-out-scare show that is a bone-chilling classic in the decade of the 70's and cinematography history.
½ June 1, 2016
Parts of it stand out, otherwise the film is easily passable, but it does remain memorable and frightening. The characters are thinly developed, and the plot is mostly dull. We do get a thrilling climax and a suspenseful ending, with a eerie atmosphere.
½ May 20, 2016
I hadn't seen this in ages so it was nice to revisit it as I barely remembered it. Strong direction and excellent acting make this a better than usual horror film. The only thing that didn't work for me was the score, but it's certainly worth watching.
April 30, 2016
It is not hard to see why Carrie is considered a horror classic, but it simply was not for me. Sissy Spacek did a great job portraying the bullied teen and getting the audience to feel sympathy for her, but the prom scene is truly ludicrous and her ability is so out of left field and poorly utilized that it left me laughing more than anything. The film crafts a creepy atmosphere and builds up only to abandon all fears and horror moments and replace it with some girl throwing stuff around a room with her mind. Interesting. The film may also be one of the most sexist films around thanks its portrayal of women throughout and the five minute opening of watching girls focus more on caressing their breasts than just washing the damn things. I am straight, but it was a little much even if titillating. Overall, Carrie does not really deliver much in the way of thrills when Carrie is at school. At home, it demonstrates why this film is a classic with truly chilling and horrific scenes taking place there. Otherwise, it is just a touch too odd for me.
April 27, 2016
Boasting terrific performances from Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie in the leading mother-daughter duo and fine assistance from an esteemed supporting cast, Carrie brings Stephen King's literary masterpiece to the big screen with a fascinating examination of child abuse, religious fanaticism, social isolation, supernatural abilities, high school bullying and the anxieties of developing into an adolescent.
April 24, 2016
Scariest... in that decade, because in this decade, this is a shit!
April 22, 2016
Classi horror film. I can't believe I never saw this film in the past...
April 11, 2016
93% IoI Sissy Spacek was too old for this role she was married in 1976 and Nancy Allen was talking when she was S John Travolta's C. Brian De Palma you failed
April 10, 2016
5 words: One hell of a classic!
April 3, 2016
watching the remake reminded me how great the original was
March 16, 2016
Brian DePalma's disturbing touch combined with a riveting onscreen battle between Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie brings to life Stephen King's classic horror novel of bullying and supernatural revenge.
½ March 3, 2016
Pretty damn scary, not only for the supernatural elements, but also for the fact that Carrie is allowed to grow up in such a horrible environment with a psycho mother and bullying classmates.
½ January 29, 2016
This review won't be long since I reviewed the newer version. The original Carrie is considered a horror masterpiece but I couldn't really get there in terms of calling it a classic. This was better than the newer one but it was just hard to watch sometimes because of the brutal things that the kids did to Carrie. I guess that's the point of the movie but I guess it's the premise that I don't really care for. I can see why people like it so much and I'm not saying its a terrible movie or anything, it's just not my taste. C-
January 15, 2016
i'm a huge fan of horror but i don't like the story of Carrie since it is just too depressing for me but i would recommend it for another horror fan
January 4, 2016
i want to see this mostly because someone once said that i look like sissy spacek...
December 28, 2015
Carrie is my favourite film of all time. Viewed over 120 times it retains its power due to the great performances, especially from Spacek, and the visually arresting direction of Brian De palma. A sublime film. One to see again and again.
December 23, 2015
I Dont know Why i Didnt REALLY liked this
December 21, 2015
The 1976 adaptation of the Stephen King novel Carrie is a terrifying, disturbing and groundbreaking horror classic. There's something about it, whether in the timeless quality of its 70s aesthetic, it's confronting harshness, Sissy Spacek's incredible performance, or a combination of all three, that is so powerfully unnerving and bone-chilling. Not surprisingly, Carrie is probably mainly remembered for its iconic 'pigs blood' scene, with the rest of the movie as build up to this moment. And while in many ways the film does directly lead to this definitive event, the entire film is so wrought with wonder and suspense, and the character study on Carrie White is so intriguing that the first two acts never drag or feel like filler. The ultimate payoff though IS very rewarding, and the prom sequence, as well as its aftermath, is genuinely terrifying. Stylistically, Carrie's visual aesthetic is so rich and engrossing, and the events unfold at a very focused, fast and perfect pace. My favourite aspect of Carrie though, is Sissy Spacek. Spacek's performance in this movie is so affecting and convincing, and beyond Carrie's discovery of her telekinesis, Spacek does an incredible job of portraying a severely shy, anxious and troubled young girl. Her reactions to social encounters and situations are so believable, increasing the emotional weight of the ultimate tragedy that befalls her. The dynamic with her mother, played expertly by Piper Laurie, is also extremely well acted and unsettling. Carrie is a horrifying and confronting look at teenage cruelty, loneliness and longing through the lens of an expertly crafted and affective horror film. The film's detailed script and De Palma's sensitive direction really make you care for Carrie and want to see her be happy, and when the bucket inevitably drops, it's as devastating and heartbreaking as a horror film gets.