Carrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Reviews

½ August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability like Carrie have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.
July 29, 2017
Despite the slow pace everything pays off in the end. Giving us one of the most disturbing prom scene's ever made.
July 28, 2017
"Carrie" is at times riducoulsly funny, when it exploits the insanity amongs its stars, but it also succedes in being a satanic afterparty towards the end.
July 18, 2017
An absolute classic and it truly leaves you in suspense for what will happen next. Highly recommended
½ July 9, 2017
Stephen King story about a girl who only discovers she has telekinetic powers after being bullied relentlessly by the kids at her school and by her overbearing mother. Really well done by De Palma.
½ July 1, 2017
It will haunt you, but at the same time there are so many details left out.
June 20, 2017
This story has your heart breaking for the main, young girl. The awkward teenage years is clearly portrayed in this movie, but adding the horrifying twist, makes it engaging.
Will admit, the ending had left me with a couple questions but once they were answered, everything made sense.
½ May 18, 2017
A solid, well cast, well acted horror movie. As a teenage girl who was picked on in school, I might have identified a bit with Carrie and had a little bit of a revenge fantasy going on. I only have two complaints about the movie. The first is that I think the nudity in the shower scene is a little creepy. I'm cool with nudity, and I know the actresses were above 18, but they were portraying high school age girls. My second issue is that I think they could have gone a little farther with the destruction Carrie caused after the dance. That's one of the few things I think the remake did better.
½ April 23, 2017
Carrie is a dark, sometimes over-the-top character study that observes child abuse, religious fanaticism, high school bullying, social isolation and telekinetic abilities -- and honors its complex themes with suspenseful buildup, solid character development and Oscar-nominated performances from Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie.
April 18, 2017
Superb movie all the essential ingredients for a top notch horror movie, acting, direction and screenplay excellent... a few critics on here need to remember its a movie and not a Shakespeare play, get real and stop over analysing just suspend your logic and enjoy & be thrilled !!!
½ April 3, 2017
more depressing than scary
½ March 6, 2017
"Carrie" kills two birds with one stone (along with a number of characters).
It works as a high school film, with the titular character being tormented by students, puberty, and an honest-to-god evil mother and the film stays grounded within this environment which perfectly builds suspense up to the final act where the film explodes into an intense thriller.
The rays of hope for poor Carrie only make the climax of the film all the more gut-wrenching because unlike most cliché horror films, time is spent with these characters that populate the school and to see what happens to them is quite unfortunate.
Spacek is brilliant at portraying the tormented young soul while DePalma's direction channels Hitchcock. I don't know if Stephen King wanted to have his debut novel portrayed as an Alfred Hitchcock film, but you can take that as a big compliment. "Carrie" is a knockout.
December 17, 2016
While unsettling, the movie does find its way to the nostalgia and drama of the 1970's which is why it is one of my favorites. Just watching Carrie makes me never want to think of gym class again. Yikes.
December 15, 2016
93% IoI Sissy Spacek was too old for this role she was married in 1976 and Nancy Allen was talking when she was S John Travolta's C. Brian De Palma you failed
December 6, 2016
One of the most classic horror movies of all time, Carrie is a terrifying bundle of what happens when a bullied teenage girl with supernatural powers collides with her schoolmate tormentors and a mother obsessed with religious purity. Sissy Spacek delivers the performance of her life, and the entire movie is filled with powerfully unnerving scenes.
½ November 24, 2016
De Palma surprises us with his splendid choice of making a very delicate and emotionally resonant drama from King's novel (with a magnificent direction, even if not so well edited), and he leaves the horror only for the tragic climactic explosion of blood and fury in the end.
November 23, 2016
One of the most effective horror films without really being a horror film, like a lot of Stephen King's work. It's all about characters and tragedy rather than horror and it's difficult to not get caught up in it. A masterpiece from the great Brian De Palma.
November 5, 2016
Rewatched the film after Halloween and I almost crapped myself by the film's end. The moral of the story, Don't mess with anyone who possess telekinesis. Don't even dump pig's blood on them. Not if you value your life. 10/10 for this Horror Classic
November 3, 2016
Intense is just one word that comes to mind when I think of this film. Brian DePalma's Cult Hit Carrie 1976 based on Stephen King's first novel.

The story of a girl bullied at High School & comes from an over religious home that slowly realizes she has telekinetic powers. Despite being bullied things take a turn for good & she is invited to the prom by the cutest guy at school.

However things take a dramatic turn at the prom & you truly have it to see it to believe it. Incredibly intense but powerful filmmaking that really showed the world the skill & craft of DePalma. Not for the faint hearted this a sledgehammer of a film.
½ November 2, 2016
This film almost contains two halves. The first is a mostly slowly-paced coming-of-age story. But the second contains much of drama centered around revenge, and mild horror, featuring some unforgettable scenes. 1001