Carrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Reviews

March 29, 2018
Carrie is a dark, sometimes over-the-top character study that observes child abuse, religious fanaticism, high school bullying, social isolation and telekinetic abilities -- and honors its complex themes with suspenseful buildup, solid character development and Oscar-nominated performances from Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie.
½ March 24, 2018
Since my last reviews have all been fairly new films, I thought I'd delve into one of my favourite genres: 70's horror. I just love it, it's gleeful gore and horror cliches before they were cliches. This film is one of the most influential and disturbing from that era. Set mostly in a high school, it revolves around an odd, unpopular girl called Carrie White, and the days leading up to her prom. Bullied at school, and beaten by her Christian mother, she also secretly harbours telekenetic powers. Some of the brilliant first moments are whenever she unleashes her powers. The film however, doesn't get very horrific until the infamous prom scene.

If you don't know what happens, I won't spoil it, but it is fairly disturbing and amazingly filmed. You might even laugh at the sheer aduacity of it, as the director revels in the information that Carrie doesn't know. It's all downhill from there, with some huge scenes that are some of the best in the genre. There's also the ending scene, which is many times imitated, but never bettered. All in all then, a terrific film, and one which will be added to my list of personal favourites.
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 6, 2018
Carrie is a perfect movie but a few obvious scenes are missing for the plot to be truly clear, yet it is possible to extrapolate from the gossipy high school vibe given right from the go that Sue's good action is not a part of Chris's plan yet got to her ears quickly, setting the events in motion. It would have taken 1 minute for it to be shown and would have made it clearer but it's still just a detail that doesnt halt the proceedings, so, still perfect.
January 27, 2018
From Cujo (1983), to The Shining (1985), the Stephen King adaptations that I've seen are pretty damn creepy. And this one is one of the most memorable horror movies ever made, it's tense, unforgiving, suspenseful and the slow building story, leading to the climax is some killer suspense, all held together with strong performances. Overall, Carrie is a top thriller, Brian DePalma did a great job. Recommended !!
½ January 10, 2018
A recently remade classic and King's first film adapted novel. Brian De Palma does a great piece of directing and he has a very solid cast. It's about a shy, weird, unpopular girl that is sheltered by her dominate, super religious, crazy mother. When Carrie has an incident at the locker room she is not exactly increasing her status. The troubled girl, superbly acted out by Spacek, finds some hope when she is asked out to the prom, but it takes a while for her to accept it, she's not dumb - this must be some sort of gag on her behalf.

Not the scariest film, but it gives you the creeps sometimes. Spacek's eyes are insanely creepy when she stands there all drenched in blood. It's one of those iconic films, so you know how some scenes will look even before you put it on. I'm glad I did as this has a pretty cool story, great acting and a neat pace. Not a minute is waisted, few scenes are dull or unneeded.

7 out of 10 laughs.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje original: 7.0

Una historia envolvente, reflexiva y conmovedora, con una incisiva crítica a la super-opresión religiosa convirtiendo a Carrie en un enigmático film del cine.
November 18, 2017
Wow, Wow, Wow. I can't describe in words how much i enjoyed this. Not considered to give you nightmares, but it's a smart and simple. Carrie White is a girl who is always bullied, gets voted as Prom Queen and then bullies drop pigs blood on her, then she wreaks havoc and gets super sweet revenge on her bullies. I'd rate it an 9.2/10. I did'nt like the 2002 remake it was stupid and the 2013 remake was stupid too. 2002 remake, 2.1/10. 2013 remake, 3.4/10. Remember, this is my opinion so please don't hate me for my thoughts.
November 16, 2017
One of those strange cases where the movie surpasses the book in many ways. Both are great, but since my first contact with this story was the film, I prefer it better than the book. A matter of taste, I say.
½ November 16, 2017
I do not understand why people hype this up so much. Yes, it is obvious that the potential for a great movie is there but this movie just isn't scary, creepy, or anything else in that matter at all. Maybe it was for its time but if a movie can't keep a nice spark throughout many years, it isn't worth the watch.
October 23, 2017
Awesome horror what a classic
½ October 23, 2017
A good teen drama for the first 70 minutes, then a disturbing horror movie in the last 20 minutes. An impressive first for the Stephen King adaptations.
October 16, 2017
The one that started it all, 1976's Carrie is a chilling drama that holds up to this day.
Score: 8.8/10
½ October 11, 2017
A visceral, intense film that burns itself in your memory.
October 9, 2017
This film was hard to watch, in a very DePalma great way. The dreamy filmmaking is well suited to the novel, I think King's books require cinematic skill to bring the films to life. I love DePalmas choices here and the haunting score just grabs you at every corner. I had seen the remake or reboot, whatever you wanted to call it and it was disappointing to say the least. I just like realism DePalma brings to the film, it's well acted and he treats the story with straight face respect. I'm going to revisit a lot of his films and Kings as well. The haunting central performance is what gives this film substance, the mother and daughter relationship is gripping. This is right up there with King adaptations and you would be hard pressed to find another film quite like this. 09-10-2017.
September 21, 2017
Powerfully acted and shot to perfection, Brian De Palma's Carrie is a terrifying real look at what happens when bullying is pushed too far. Sissy Spacek's haunting portrayal of one of Stephen King's most famous characters is all the more haunting thanks to the famous prom night scene
September 21, 2017
Masterpiece. Two remakes failed to overcome this iconic horror film.
½ September 16, 2017
If 'Carrie' has moments of exploitation taste and does not resemble to some other De Palma works, it also has an efficient eerie feel that's essential in any respectable Stephen King adaptation. It has multiple layers, being not merely a horror film, but a film about bullying, a film about hatred and religious extremism which visually is at the height of the expectations. Still, 'Carrie' is neither my favorite De Palma nor King movie, perhaps because of its supernatural source material.
½ September 13, 2017
Not bad:) The effects are a little cheesy but considering that it was filmed 41 years ago the acting is nice. The blood looks really fake. But it is a classic so anyone that loves classics will like this movie.
September 11, 2017
Everything about this movie is PERFECT!