Dracula - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dracula Reviews

½ February 24, 2018
Great film for its time. Bram Stoker's story is one of the best ever, and I felt they did it justice. Lugosi is a class act. Too bad he didn't get any other roles other than Ed Wood films. They speak quality Hungarian which always makes me happy. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 23, 2018
i don't drink.. wine..

Dracula

I can't seem to remember the last time I watched one of these early 20th century movies and witnessed writing containing parallel roles to each and every character offering the actors enough range and space to let the role sink in; Tod Browning played it smart here. Dracula is witty and to-the-point (just like its main character) and also surprisingly gripping, hats off to the screenplay writers as they never manages to let the movie fade away from the audience by taking maximum risks as possible like, Dracula and Van Helsing's early and near experience to death encounters, keeping the audience on the edge of the seat. It also has some fine detailed work as it flaunts the characteristics in the physical way instead of explaining it to the audience verbally; for instance, Dracula walks through the web or the description of Mina's nightmare. Dracula is filled with horrifying characters, (their acts and not some shady make-up) genuine actors and Tod behind the screen convincing enough to let the audience enter his nightmare.
December 28, 2017
very cool looking gothic film
Antonius Block
½ November 29, 2017
One of the problems modern viewers will have with Tod Browning's 1931 'Dracula' (ok, at least this modern viewer), unfair as it may be, is that countless versions of the vampire tale have been told over the decades, so quite a bit of the shock value is lost. This version is told in a 'right down central' type of way, and unlike some of Browning's other seriously creepy movies from this time period which I love, it's hard to imagine anyone being scared or feeling tension which watching it. Browning tries to give us the tinglies with various things like bugs crawling about in the beginning, but too many of his effects seem like comical parodies, such as a rubber bat dangled in the window more than once. Unfortunately, I would also put legendary actor Bela Lugosi's performance in this category. His demeanor and slow cadence with words doesn't produce the intended chills, and he's not helped by Browning's tight shots on him staring into the camera. We can recognize this film as the adaptation of the Bram Stoker novel that influenced so many which would follow and give it credit for that, but it's not such a great movie to pull others together for at, say, Halloween time. You can do better for horror/scary/creepy even in the time period.
October 31, 2017
Dracula (1931):

Pros:
- Great Acting

- Fantastic Directing

- Brilliant Script

- Beautiful Cinematography

- Good Editing

- Timeless Story

- Amazing Production Design

- Magnificent Costume Design

- Visually Stunning

- Nice Musical Score

Cons:
- Pacing is inconsistent at times

- Feels theatrical at times

- Forgettable compared to Frankenstein

Overall Grade: B+ (8/10)
October 20, 2017
Even though it's ending is way less dramatic than hoped, this monster classic's eerie atmospherics and Bela Lugosi's legendary performance remind us that even pure evil puts on fairness and charm.
October 19, 2017
This Is My Favorite Film Adaptation Of The Bram Stoker Novel And I Like Bela Lugosi's Amazing Performance As Count Dracula.
½ October 4, 2017
A great classic, I remember watching this when I was a teenager. It still deserves all the attention you can give it.
½ October 2, 2017
This classic movie still has a few moments worth remembering. It has a style to it that I quite enjoyed watching. It isn't always as captivating as I would have hoped it to be, but it is still a movie worth watching at least once.
September 19, 2017
I am Dracula, I bid your welcome!
½ August 10, 2017
Though this vampire horror film is really rather tame by today's standards and production wise it isn't all that effective I can certainly see the influence on future films that it had which was interesting. It also has a great lead performance by Bela Lugosi, it has a creepy and unnerving atmosphere, the sets are decent and the supporting cast are good enough.
½ June 30, 2017
With its Gothic atmosphere and creepy performances by Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye, Dracula remains a horror movie classic.
June 23, 2017
This movie is super dated and hammy by todays standard, but this is still seen as a classic movie and the best part of the movie is Bela Lugosi's performance. It really feel like he loves every moment he's playing this character.
June 17, 2017
May not scare the pants of the modern movie goer who are used to gore of Saw or the supernatural thrills of Paranormal Activity but watching this film nearly a hundred years after it's release I can see why it scared the trousers off people in early parts of last century. Movie magic was all practical back then. I do love CGI but I love seeing how early filmmakers pulled the wool over the audience's eyes.
June 13, 2017
Not the same as the original story from Bram Stroker, but that doesn't distract it from how brilliant it plays out!
June 9, 2017
Creepy, scary, psychotic, but it made me keep watching. Bela Lugosi's iconic Dracula will be remembered for a long time. At least in my mind he will.
May 15, 2017
130421: Bela Lugosi & Van Sloan are awesome. I've always loved this film and still do.
May 3, 2017
Classic Vampire Film. Amazing that this film is almost 90 years old!
January 8, 2017
Classic that needs to be seen
January 1, 2017
From the start up the hill to the castle in Transylvania, Universal's classic tale of Dracula is able to carve a lasting impact in Hollywood cinema. Although the liberties taken from Bram Stoker's novel seems to sacrifice story and character development for horrific atmosphere, a lot of the sets are a wonder to behold, and when Dracula and Renfield are on screen together it's strong chemistry at its near finest. And there are many subtle bits that make you feel chills over your spine. Through it all, we deal with the terror the vampire can do through Bela Lugosi's performance, moments of suspense left unseen, and the classic lines. This is truly movie about a vampire who happens to cause terror by blood count, but in a elegant manner that contrasts other horror icons that come later. For its reason, the movie stands out and remains timeless, and enjoyable for many a horror film buff like myself.