Dracula - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dracula Reviews

August 17, 2016
A classic. Bela Lugosi simply makes the role what it is. This film paved the way for an unspeakable amount of horror films.
August 17, 2016
Not the same as the original story from Bram Stroker, but that doesn't distract it from how brilliant it plays out!
July 26, 2016
An excellent classic ok there some parts to this movie that are just a tiny bit boring but that doesn't stop this film from being a great classic
½ July 5, 2016
I just saw this movie simultaneously with a live performance of the soundtrack by Philip Glass & Kronos Quartet . It is the only way to watch it :). The movie stands the test of time and will do so for many years to come in my humble opinion.
June 13, 2016
Great movie, Bela Lugosi is the best Dracula ever, highly recommended movie!
June 10, 2016
85 anos depois, Bela Lugosi continua o ator definitivo na representação hipnotisante do Conde Drácula. A sua representação, voz e maneirismos, influenciou todo um género visual e sonoro que perdura ainda hoje com grande sucesso. Louvores merecidos também para Dwight Frye, um Renfield verdadeiramente inquietante que ajuda o filme a ir por vezes para além do tom teatral característico das obras deste tempo.
April 12, 2016
This Is My Favorite Film Adaptation Of Bram Stoker's Novel.
April 6, 2016
One of the scariest vampire movies ever made.
April 1, 2016
The classic Lugosi version that launched the sound era horror boom. Still powerful and hypnotic!
April 1, 2016
gotta wonder what Bela would have thought about this and all the attention again for Universal it's pure profit-once again from their monster pics.
March 4, 2016
The best Bela Lugosi horror film ever made.
February 19, 2016
Strange combination of a masterpiece with an actually boring static movie, especially in its second half. But the opening scene is a true masterpiece of film-making whereas the second half of the film is only saved by the outstanding performances of Renfield and Van Helsing, even though the atmosphere of the movie is tremendous too.
½ February 6, 2016
Honestly, I was a little disappointed by this movie. Dracula is a story I hope you all know and I will not explain it here. The movie follows the book very well, but it also feels very rushed. The story moves very quickly and everything is concluded anticlimactic. That's the only problem I had with this movie and it honestly ruins the movie quite a bit! Bela Lugosi as Dracula, though. THAT was amazing! His way of talking, his performance, his look, it's all very well done and I can only say good things about him. Same goes for Dwight Frye as the ever creepy Renfield. His laughter will forever haunt me now. Truly brilliant! Everyone else was good, too, but these guys stand out. The atmosphere of the movie is amazing, as well. It has a very creepy tone to it and all the locations look very detailed and beautiful, especially Dracula's castle, which I wished they showed more of it, but due the movie's plot flaws, they never did. There isn't any music in the movie besides the opening credits which adds to the scary atmosphere. The ending was bad, if you ask me. It made Dracula look quite stupid and was very anticlimactic at the same time. All in all, a good movie, but a not-very-good Dracula movie. I feel that the runtime of the movie ruined it. I would recommend this movie to horror movie fans and fans of classic cinema, as this is a classic, but I honestly prefer the 1922 & 1979 Nosferatu movies.
½ November 13, 2015
Tod Browning directs the crap out of this most-engaging of Universal monsters. Great sets, sharp lighting, and perfectly scary framing more than overcome the sort of "meh" story. It also boasts one of my favorite lines from a dialogue between men talking about the potential of vampires: "Isn't this a strange conversation for me who AREN'T crazy?"
November 7, 2015
Bela Lugosi is awesome in this as the Count, a must see for horror flick fans
November 3, 2015
The oldest movie I've ever committed to watch to. 1931 means something...
November 2, 2015
The original sound version of Dracula is pretty shitty to be honest, with an awkward plot and opening to follow, the film is just weird. Like why does Dracula want to go to Britain? And why does he bother to take a ship there, just to have to fly back to home to sleep in his coffin during the daytime? Dracula is played by the famous Bella Lugosi and plays his part well and is really known as the most famous Dracula of all time. But this Dracula is fairly cold and silent and has issues and just doesn't really reply, he's kind of annoying really. You don't like or hate this Dracula, you just find him annoying.

The acting in this film in general is okay. I thought I was watching the Spanish version, but apparently it was completely wrong. It's an okay film and being the first Dracula film in sound, it came straight off of the silent era.
½ October 31, 2015
Bela Lugosi IS Dracula. A timeless classic and timeless character. The story is a bit muddled and it may not be as impressive to a 21st century audience. However, this film from the 1930s still holds up as one of the most iconic horror movies of all time.
½ October 30, 2015
I cannot believe I hadn't rated this one yet. I'm still amazed how many creeps this movie packs into its short running time. Frye is outstanding as Renfield and the shot of him crawling across the floor is genius. I love Phillip Glass music, but he didn't do any favors for this one. Watch it without the new score if possible.
October 26, 2015
Bela Lugosi is great in the lead role, but other than that it severely lacks any real suspense and has an insane amount of continuity flaws considering it is considered to be a classic.