Dracula - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dracula Reviews

Page 1 of 90
April 13, 2018
Grande parte da imagem que temos do Conde Drácula existe devido a esta produção americana realizada por Tod Browning, apenas 4 anos após o cinema testemunhar o casamento entre a imagem e o som. A sua importância histórica lança uma sombra a toda uma geração de filmes de terror subsequentes, e apesar das suas propriedades serem irrefutávelmente antiquadas, Dracula continua um clássico indispensável para os amantes do género e do cinema em geral.

Conde Drácula (Bela Lugosi) é um vampiro da Transilvânia que descansa num caixão durante o dia e à noite persegue as suas vítimas para sugar o sangue dos seus pescoços. Mas o agente imobiliário Mr. Renfield (Dwight Frye) pensa que tudo isto não passa de folclore e avança até ao seu castelo para finalizar a transferência de uma propriedade em Londres. Para seu arrependimento, Dracula faz dele um servo leal, e juntos partem para Londres por barco. Quando chegam ao porto, apenas uma versão demoníaca de Renfield é encontrada viva a bordo. Já em Londres, o Conde tenta apoderar-se da esbelta Mina (Helen Chandler).

Os primeiros 20 minutos do filme adaptado de uma peça teatral de Hamilton Deane e John L. Balderston, que por sua vez foi adaptada do conto gótico de Bram Stoker, são exemplo de uma história de terror no seu estado mais puro. O Conde ergue-se do caixão, acompanhado por três noivas, a decorar o grandioso castelo estão enormes teias de aranha, ratos e animais irreconhecíveis rastejam no chão sujo e os lobos, "as crianças da noite", uivam solenemente.

Tudo isto promove uma atmosfera arrepiante que é acentuada pela sinistra interpretação de Bela Lugosi - o Drácula que ainda hoje inspira incontáveis recriações da personagem. O seu aspeto límpido, arrumado, contrasta com a primeira representação de um vampiro no cinema, no filme mudo Nosferatu (1922), onde o monstro tem uma aparência verdadeiramente grotesca. No entanto, é o carregado sotaque húngaro e a maneira como Lugosi profere as suas linhas que fazem frases simples como "Eu sou o... Drácula" e "Eu nunca bebo... Vinho" ter tanto impacto.

Lugosi é a arma secreta, mas Frye também interpreta Renfield com personalidade, munido de expressões próprias e um riso que parece evocado do próprio inferno. As restantes interpretações ficam aquém em comparação, ainda que Edward Van Sloan tenha uma performance competente no papel do professor Van Helsing.

Sente-se a falta de uma banda sonora (não se achou necessário na altura, visto que o som nos filmes era algo relativamente recente) para preencher os longos espaços entre os diálogos e a direção de fotografia de Karl Freund é um pau de dois bicos. Por um lado, capta imagens a preto e branco muito substanciais, por outro, a câmara está frequentemente estática, o que interfere um pouco com o ritmo que foi bem estabelecido no primeiro ato.

A narrativa, encarada com uma qualidade teatral, sofre também de um final anti-climático, mas expressa ao longo do filme uma tensão sexual mórbida que reflete os prazeres carnais mais perversos. Dracula é um produto do seu tempo, para o bem e para o mal, mas continua a assombrar pelos estímulos da imaginação. Quando Lugosi se aproxima dos pescoços macios, os arrepios estão garantidos.

8,4/10
March 30, 2018
Count Dracula (Bela Lugosi) a blood-sucking vampire, arrives in London with his new slave Renfield (Dwight Frye) in order to seek out new victims. When he starts to show interest in the daughter of a sanatorium owner, only the mysterious Dr. Van Helsing (Edward Van Sloan) is willing to stand in his way...

The film that launched Universal's line of Monster Films, Dracula's groundbreaking production design and the performance of Bela Lugosi as the Count is truely a wonder to behold.

I understand that the silent era had only just come to an end, and talkies were still a new thing. The long moments of silence throughout the entire film, with that said, can be a hit or miss, with it being most effective at creating suspense, but it's not as effective in creating the gothic atmosphere that the rest of the film is trying to get across.

Aside from these issues, along with some questionable visual effects even by 30's standards, Dracula is still a great classic for horror fans to sink thier teeth into, mostly due to Bela's star-making performance.
March 12, 2018
With the release of both this and Frankenstein, 1931 was a great year for old school horror films. I seen the latter recently and really enjoyed it, but Dracula, not so much. It starts off great, with a sparse, atmospheric opening that perfectly establishes the mood and gives the lead character the entrance he deserves. Bela Lugosi truly owns the Dracula persona, with his intense stares, unhurried movements and steady, laconic speech. Unfortunately, the film begins to go downhill around the halfway point. As with Frankenstein, there's some truly terrible editing. Scenes just fade out when there something still happening. Some important moments are dealt with off-screen, and the final act descends into a tedious talkathon, much like the end of Psycho did, where everything is explained to us in a long, prattling dialogue. Then the ending comes out of nowhere, and a legendary movie ends with a whimper. It's easy to see its influence, both in atmosphere and central performance, but the longer it goes the less involving it feels, until there's little to care about at all.
½ February 24, 2018
Great film for its time. Bram Stoker's story is one of the best ever, and I felt they did it justice. Lugosi is a class act. Too bad he didn't get any other roles other than Ed Wood films. They speak quality Hungarian which always makes me happy. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 23, 2018
i don't drink.. wine..

Dracula

I can't seem to remember the last time I watched one of these early 20th century movies and witnessed writing containing parallel roles to each and every character offering the actors enough range and space to let the role sink in; Tod Browning played it smart here. Dracula is witty and to-the-point (just like its main character) and also surprisingly gripping, hats off to the screenplay writers as they never manages to let the movie fade away from the audience by taking maximum risks as possible like, Dracula and Van Helsing's early and near experience to death encounters, keeping the audience on the edge of the seat. It also has some fine detailed work as it flaunts the characteristics in the physical way instead of explaining it to the audience verbally; for instance, Dracula walks through the web or the description of Mina's nightmare. Dracula is filled with horrifying characters, (their acts and not some shady make-up) genuine actors and Tod behind the screen convincing enough to let the audience enter his nightmare.
December 28, 2017
very cool looking gothic film
Antonius Block
Super Reviewer
½ November 29, 2017
One of the problems modern viewers will have with Tod Browning's 1931 'Dracula' (ok, at least this modern viewer), unfair as it may be, is that countless versions of the vampire tale have been told over the decades, so quite a bit of the shock value is lost. This version is told in a 'right down central' type of way, and unlike some of Browning's other seriously creepy movies from this time period which I love, it's hard to imagine anyone being scared or feeling tension which watching it. Browning tries to give us the tinglies with various things like bugs crawling about in the beginning, but too many of his effects seem like comical parodies, such as a rubber bat dangled in the window more than once. Unfortunately, I would also put legendary actor Bela Lugosi's performance in this category. His demeanor and slow cadence with words doesn't produce the intended chills, and he's not helped by Browning's tight shots on him staring into the camera. We can recognize this film as the adaptation of the Bram Stoker novel that influenced so many which would follow and give it credit for that, but it's not such a great movie to pull others together for at, say, Halloween time. You can do better for horror/scary/creepy even in the time period.
October 31, 2017
Dracula (1931):

Pros:
- Great Acting

- Fantastic Directing

- Brilliant Script

- Beautiful Cinematography

- Good Editing

- Timeless Story

- Amazing Production Design

- Magnificent Costume Design

- Visually Stunning

- Nice Musical Score

Cons:
- Pacing is inconsistent at times

- Feels theatrical at times

- Forgettable compared to Frankenstein

Overall Grade: B+ (8/10)
October 20, 2017
Even though it's ending is way less dramatic than hoped, this monster classic's eerie atmospherics and Bela Lugosi's legendary performance remind us that even pure evil puts on fairness and charm.
October 19, 2017
This Is My Favorite Film Adaptation Of The Bram Stoker Novel And I Like Bela Lugosi's Amazing Performance As Count Dracula.
½ October 4, 2017
A great classic, I remember watching this when I was a teenager. It still deserves all the attention you can give it.
½ October 2, 2017
This classic movie still has a few moments worth remembering. It has a style to it that I quite enjoyed watching. It isn't always as captivating as I would have hoped it to be, but it is still a movie worth watching at least once.
September 19, 2017
I am Dracula, I bid your welcome!
½ August 10, 2017
Though this vampire horror film is really rather tame by today's standards and production wise it isn't all that effective I can certainly see the influence on future films that it had which was interesting. It also has a great lead performance by Bela Lugosi, it has a creepy and unnerving atmosphere, the sets are decent and the supporting cast are good enough.
½ June 30, 2017
With its Gothic atmosphere and creepy performances by Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye, Dracula remains a horror movie classic.
June 23, 2017
This movie is super dated and hammy by todays standard, but this is still seen as a classic movie and the best part of the movie is Bela Lugosi's performance. It really feel like he loves every moment he's playing this character.
June 17, 2017
May not scare the pants of the modern movie goer who are used to gore of Saw or the supernatural thrills of Paranormal Activity but watching this film nearly a hundred years after it's release I can see why it scared the trousers off people in early parts of last century. Movie magic was all practical back then. I do love CGI but I love seeing how early filmmakers pulled the wool over the audience's eyes.
June 13, 2017
Not the same as the original story from Bram Stroker, but that doesn't distract it from how brilliant it plays out!
June 9, 2017
Creepy, scary, psychotic, but it made me keep watching. Bela Lugosi's iconic Dracula will be remembered for a long time. At least in my mind he will.
May 15, 2017
130421: Bela Lugosi & Van Sloan are awesome. I've always loved this film and still do.
Page 1 of 90